UPDATE: GOG.Com B1G1 Free

Kurina

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Update:

Beta keys have now gone out to those who signed up before the deadline. They are going out in waves each day, so check your email often to see if you get in. Here are the specific details regarding the Buy One Get One Free promotion for those who made it in:

Promotion rules:
  • 1. You need to have signed up for the Early Access Beta between July 10 and September 7.
  • 2. You have to register an account at GOG.com with the same email address as the one you've signed up with.
  • 3. You must place your first order during the Early Access Beta, between September 8 and September 21 at 11:59pm (EDT).
  • 4. You have to love classic PC games!

After your first order is successfully completed ($$$ cha-ching! $$$), you will receive an email with the bonus code. You can redeem the bonus code on the payment screen when placing an order. Just move your cursor over the "Redeem coupon code" option, enter the code into the text field that appears and click on the "Redeem" button. Be sure to enter all symbols in the code including the dash (-) and remember that the codes are case-sensitive.
IMPORTANT: you must remember that the bonus code:
  • 1. only works if you're buying ONE game at a time (i.e. you choose download now or you only have 1 game in your shopping cart),
  • 2. is valid until September 22 at 11:59pm (EDT), 2008,
  • 3. works only with Interplay games.
New games are announced every Thursday and released on Tuesdays. Thanks to Sporadic, here is a list of currently available games listed by price.

$5.99

Conquest of the New World - strategy, turn-based, historical - 75.5 MB
Descent + Descent 2 - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 546.8 MB
Descent 3 + Expansion - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 797.5 MB
Die by the Sword + Expansion - action, adventure, fantasy - 482.2 MB
Earthworm Jim 3D - action, adventure, platformer - 136.3 MB
Evolva - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 443.8 MB
F/A-18E Super Hornet - simulation, combat, modern - 281.1 MB
Fallout - rpg, turn-based, sci-fi - 505.4 MB
Fallout 2 - rpg, turn-based, sci-fi - 579.6 MB
Fallout Tactics - rpg, strategy, sci-fi - 1.6 GB
Freespace + Expansion - simulation, combat, sci-fi - 829 MB
Freespace 2 - simulation, combat, sci-fi - 1.6 GB
Giants: Citizen Kabuto - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 787.7 MB
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 522.5 MB
Invictus: In the Shadow of Olympus - rpg, strategy, historical - 669 MB
Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business - strategy, turn-based, tactical - 407.8 MB
Kingpin: Life of Crime - shooter, fpp, modern - 337.1 MB
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - rpg, action, fantasy - 699.4 MB
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2 - strategy, turn-based, sci-fi - 613.4 MB
MDK - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 74 MB
MDK 2 - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 219.4 MB
Messiah - shooter, tpp, sci-fi - 408.5 MB

Original War - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 978.3 MB
Redneck Rampage Collection - shooter, fpp, modern - 337.6 MB
Sacrifice - strategy, action, fantasy - 562.6 MB
Shattered Steel - action, fpp, sci-fi - 474.9 MB
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division - shooter, fpp, sci-fi - 248.5 MB

Stonekeep - rpg, action, fantasy - 425.4 MB

$9.99

1nsane - racing, arcade, off-road - 474.3 MB
Colin McRae Rally 2005 - racing, arcade, rally - 2.9 GB
I.G.I 2: Covert Strike - shooter, fpp, modern - 729.6 MB
Operation Flashpoint GOTY - shooter, fpp, modern - 732.6 MB
Perimeter - strategy, real-time, sci-fi - 1.3 GB
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II - strategy, real-time, tactical - 1.4 GB
Toca Race Driver 3 - racing, simulation, touring - 5.3 GB

---
Original Post:

I did a search and nothing came up, so thought I would point it out. This is my first deal so hope it's alright. :)

Good Old Games is offering to those who sign up before September 7th a chance to still sign up and get into beta. They'll be going out in chunks, but when your turn does come up, they are offering a buy one get one free deal.

The game selection seems approximately around 30 games at the moment (from what I've read), but there are a few good gems in there such as the Fallout series.

They just updated their site today with the information.

The Early Access Beta will offer all the main features of the site, including buying DRM-free games, joining the community and writing reviews. Apart from just getting access, everyone buys a game from GOG.com during the Early Access Beta will receive a bonus code to get one game from GOG.com’s Interplay catalogue for free! So what are you waiting for? If you haven’t signed up yet, be sure to enter your email address and get in on the action.
Anyhoo, for those looking for a trip down memory lane, I thought it was a decent deal.

Link: http://www.gog.com/en/intro

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whitereflection']I'm pretty sure you can reuse it as long as you only checkout one game at a time, and the last day is tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

You can't.

I bought Fallout for my first game and immediately received a BOGO code which I used on Fallout 2. The next day I bought Redneck Rampage Collection and recieved nothing

So, I've finally decided I'm going to get Fallout Tactics. But I have no idea what to get for my freebie. I already own Fallout and Fallout 2...I'm actually replaying through Fallout right now.

I'll read back through the thread to see if I can glean any suggestions.

Man, I can't get into Fallout 1. It's way too slow and the interface is totally nonintuitive for me. Also the scorpions seem to totally kick my butt, and that's right at the beginning. Any tips for enjoying and playing the game?

[quote name='eugaet']So, I've finally decided I'm going to get Fallout Tactics. But I have no idea what to get for my freebie. I already own Fallout and Fallout 2...I'm actually replaying through Fallout right now.

I'll read back through the thread to see if I can glean any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Freespace 2! It's easily the best-looking of the bunch and loads of fun if you like this kind of game.

[quote name='Darklighter']I went ahead and bought Fallout 1 and 2. No idea when I'll play them, but for only $6, who cares. Plus, GOG is a site worth supporting.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's how I feel too. I really want them to make it...they could change EVERYTHING. If we have to go digital distribution, we've GOT to have something like this where the consumer actually owns the copy they bought.

Anyway I bought Messiah and then got Giants. Both demos were pretty cool back in the day. Messiah especially seemed really fun. You play this angel (Bob!) that has to possess different characters/enemies, take over guards, etc. Pretty cool.

I might pick up MDK2 also. It is Bioware after all! For $6 I won't worry much about if it gets too hard.

[quote name='eugaet']So, I've finally decided I'm going to get Fallout Tactics. But I have no idea what to get for my freebie. I already own Fallout and Fallout 2...I'm actually replaying through Fallout right now.

I'll read back through the thread to see if I can glean any suggestions.[/quote]

[quote name='whitereflection']Freespace 2! It's easily the best-looking of the bunch and loads of fun if you like this kind of game.[/quote]

OK, I've narrowed it down to either Freespace 2 or Giants. Any last minute recommendations, guys?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, that's how I feel too. I really want them to make it...they could change EVERYTHING. If we have to go digital distribution, we've GOT to have something like this where the consumer actually owns the copy they bought.[/quote]
I think it's pretty naive to think that what works for mostly decade-old games that haven't generated revenue in years, can be directly applied to new releases today.

Even if GOG is a big success, I don't think it's going to change the minds of most publishers using digital distribution today, because it's simply not the same field we're dealing with here.

[quote name='eugaet']OK, I've narrowed it down to either Freespace 2 or Giants. Any last minute recommendations, guys?[/quote]

You really can't go wrong with either game.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think it's pretty naive to think that what works for mostly decade-old games that haven't generated revenue in years, can be directly applied to new releases today.

Even if GOG is a big success, I don't think it's going to change the minds of most publishers using digital distribution today, because it's simply not the same field we're dealing with here.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but it's happening with music, which is easier to steal than games are. At any rate, I'll buy from Gog, but I won't "buy" from Steam or the like.

[quote name='blakhawkjohn']You really can't go wrong with either game.[/quote]Well, I'll probably go with Freespace 2. I used to play the crap out of the Wing Commander games, so if it's anything similar, I should enjoy it.

As for Giants...maybe I'll try it some day, but I got bored with FPSes after Doom (except for WWII FPSes). I would've been buying it solely for the humor I keep hearing so much about.

EDIT: OK, just used my freebie code on Freespace 2. I'd like to go through the FP1 + Expansion storyline first, though. I went ahead and got FP2 first because of the MP3 soundtrack.

Fallout 1 is now free on gametap,.. not sure when it popped up but i just discovered it today. ..in case anyone wants to save 6 bucks

[quote name='smoger']Fallout 1 is now free on gametap,.. not sure when it popped up but i just discovered it today. ..in case anyone wants to save 6 bucks[/QUOTE]

I don't mind paying $6, to avoid putting up with GameTap's irritating bloatware bullshit. Plus, my installer from GOG will work the rest of my life, so that's awesome.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Is the site down? I can't seem to find where to log in...I was in yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Nope, still working for me.

Go back through the beta entrance with your beta key, that will take you to the normal site and you can log in from there.

----------------

MP3 soundtracks for both Redneck Rampage games have been added and four games have been added to the coming soon section.

TOCA Race Driver 3
Kingdom: The Far Reaches
Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
Second Sight

[quote name='Sporadic']Nope, still working for me.

Go back through the beta entrance with your beta key, that will take you to the normal site and you can log in from there.

----------------

MP3 soundtracks for both Redneck Rampage games have been added and four games have been added to the coming soon section.

TOCA Race Driver 3
Kingdom: The Far Reaches
Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
Second Sight[/quote]

Oh, I have to use the beta key each time? Got it...thank you!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Oh, I have to use the beta key each time? Got it...thank you![/quote]

each time you clear the cookie or switch pc's

CoffeeEdge: i agree, though it's less about GameTaps's software(i have it installed anyway). It probably sounds strange, but paying any amount for a game(even if its only a couple bucks) gives it more legitimacy in my head, and I'm more likely to put in the time to really play it.

When I was in college, due to lack of money, I did stuff with GBA games that I can't talk about here lest I get another infraction, but through those 4 years I remember finishing a total of one game on that system.. Golden Sun. (granted i was also playing a lot of games I'd never have bought anyway)

I don't bother with that anymore because paying for the games give them more than monetary value in my mind. I don't know.. does that even make sense?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't mind paying $6, to avoid putting up with GameTap's irritating bloatware bullshit. Plus, my installer from GOG will work the rest of my life, so that's awesome.[/QUOTE]
Having the original installer for the disc version from 1997 didn't work for all eternity, so why would this installer? In 11 more years, won't the GOG installer be just as obsolete as the DOS/Win95/whatever installer?

At least, I assume the old one doesn't still work. Does it?

[quote name='pete5883']At least, I assume the old one doesn't still work. Does it?[/QUOTE]

Of course it does.

What I'm saying is that Fallout probably won't be free on GameTap forever. I doubt I'll be able to log on to Gametap when I'm 40 to give ol' Fallout another whirl.

But I will always be able to have this GOG Fallout installer safely stored on a drive or a DVD, and even if I have to use an older PC to install it, the bottom line is that I'll still have access to it.

I know what you're saying about GameTap. What I'm saying is that not all old DOS games, that you bought "the old fashioned way," are still playable today. So just because you have it in physical form does not mean you can play it forever.

Well, not easily, at least.

[quote name='pete5883']Having the original installer for the disc version from 1997 didn't work for all eternity, so why would this installer? In 11 more years, won't the GOG installer be just as obsolete as the DOS/Win95/whatever installer?

At least, I assume the old one doesn't still work. Does it?[/quote]

I just installed fallout 1 from the original - day one - purchased CD on my windows xp rig. Worked fine for me. So thats about, what, 11 years so far?

I have more faith in my CD and GoG's no-DRM .exe than I have in Steam, Xbox 360 Live, and GameTap combined.

Also - DOS Box. Ever since that little gem came out I've had next to zero trouble getting any old pc games to run. Kind of took the fun out of it a little bit.

[quote name='pete5883']I know what you're saying about GameTap. What I'm saying is that not all old DOS games, that you bought "the old fashioned way," are still playable today.[/quote]
Yes they are, if you collect computers.

Well, not easily, at least.
Owning old computers isn't hard.

bread's done
Back