Updated -- Free Assassins Creed III Steelbook With Pre-Order (GS, BB, Amazon)

Saix_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
158 (100%)
This is available at Best Buy, Gamestop and Amazon. At Best Buy and Gamestop when you pre-order a copy of Assassin's Creed 3 for PS3 or 360 for $5 and you get a free G1 (DVD size) steelbook, there is no blu-ray/PS3 sized case out as of now.

At amazon if you pre-order the PS3 or 360 Assassin's Creed 3 you get the same steelbook (based on all info currently available), but it is shipped when Assassin's Creed 3 is released, which is late October.

As of now most, if not all, Gamestops should have this on the floor in some way to promote the game. Best Buy should as well, but some people are reporting that the street day for Best Buy is 3/10 and are being denied them until that day.

As per usual, at some Best Buy's and Gamestops the employees are unaware of the exact details and are denying customers these for incorrect reasons.

Here is an image of it based on what the link above is showing
gallery_30_10_219709.png

I really like the way it looks I just wish there wasn't the RP thing there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Romeo']3/5/12 is the official date for the pre-order case as per Ubisoft. Even GameStop shipping boxes state to put it out on 3/5. Any day later and they are technically breaking a street date, I'd say I hope Ubi fines the hell out of them.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. The back of the cases from Gamestop and Best Buy are different. The back of the Best Buy one says it's a deposit certificate and should be out 3/10-10/1/12. I didn't open them so I assume it's just a slip of paper shrinkwrapped in. Guy at Gamestop probably didn't want them on the floor for security reasons

I just pre-ordered with Amazon and chatted with customer service to make sure I would get the case the day it ships, which was confirmed.

Does anyone know if you have to return any pre-order items if you return the game back to Amazon?

[quote name='Romeo']3/5/12 is the official date for the pre-order case as per Ubisoft. Even GameStop shipping boxes state to put it out on 3/5. Any day later and they are technically breaking a street date, I'd say I hope Ubi fines the hell out of them.[/QUOTE]

There is no way a publisher can "fine" anyone. Retailers can put stuff out whenever they want. If they put stuff out early, the only recourse a publisher has is to refuse to ship to them early in the future and to send them less POP material.

[quote name='jedifrog21']Interesting. The back of the cases from Gamestop and Best Buy are different. The back of the Best Buy one says it's a deposit certificate and should be out 3/10-10/1/12. I didn't open them so I assume it's just a slip of paper shrinkwrapped in. Guy at Gamestop probably didn't want them on the floor for security reasons[/QUOTE]

They are the same case just the paper and UPC are different.

Ubi released the trailer yesterday and stated a case is available as a pre-order bonus. Best Buy holding them back is pointless as it is advertised now. Plus no one releases things on Saturday.

[quote name='poopmastr7']Anyone else preorder from amazon and have it say that it will be released nov. 2nd? what gives? says the game comes out on oct 30th?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter what it says right now as oct 30 is a soft release date and knowing Ubi it will change 5 times before oct 30. You will get the case with the game.

This is going to really mess up their preorder allotment numbers, since there are probably quite a few people who aren't remotely interested in fulfilling theirs at GS or BB.

I got one at Gamestop today, no plans to fill it. Just wanted it. Plan on Amazon but I'll see who offers what, Amazon's been letting me down lately, so I suppose anything is possible.

I have no intention of buying the game at full price but I bought the steelbook at Best Buy today. I collect steelbooks and it looks awesome.

[quote name='sevendayrevolution']This is going to really mess up their preorder allotment numbers, since there are probably quite a few people who aren't remotely interested in fulfilling theirs at GS or BB.

I got one at Gamestop today, no plans to fill it. Just wanted it. Plan on Amazon but I'll see who offers what, Amazon's been letting me down lately, so I suppose anything is possible.[/QUOTE]

YEP. Doubtful we see another promo like this when they see thousands more in preorders than actual retail sales. Having said that I am one of them. No need to buy it full price when you will be able to get it for around $20 next January.

Picked one up. Obviously won't be a collector's item as there were a ton of them on display.
Will probably keep it wrapped in plastic until I pick up the game, as steel books look pretty but pick up fingerprints and scratches/shelf wear like they love it.
Anything I'm missing as far as internal contents?

The back seems to be pretty explicit that it is just a down payment on the game, and you can get a refund later on, though. So I guess if we don't pick up we can bring in our receipts and get five bucks back? I might not do that simply because I don't mind paying a five for it, but just curious if I was reading that correctly.

Long thread, so apologies if asked and answered.

Sucks I don't live anywhere close to a best buy or gamestop... Will get from amazon but I want the damn collectors edition.

Stumbled on this when I popped into Gamestop earlier this evening, and luckily spotted one sitting behind the counter. The employee showed off the remaing 20 or so in a box on the floor. Prudential Center in Boston if anyone's looking!

Wow! I need to pick up one of those steelbooks. It has to be one of the most beautiful steelbooks I have ever seen. I have no intention of buying the game at launch though. I couldn't even get through Revelations after playing so much of 1, 2, and Brotherhood.

Just a small note: Best buy charges tax with the pre-order. Gamestop does not. Methinks Best Buy thinks its a separate entity, and is handling it different than Gamestop.

I got a "refund" of my $5.35 today (mostly because they didn't give me a steelbook to begin with) and went to gamestop.

The steelbook in my gamestop had like gold outline instead of silver on display (tomahawk the gun, bow etc.). i wonder if thats like a varient case of something.

[quote name='Jeff Jr.']The steelbook in my gamestop had like gold outline instead of silver on display (tomahawk the gun, bow etc.). i wonder if thats like a varient case of something.[/QUOTE]

That would be interesting for sure. I'll go check mine out. Have 3 of them now, with 1 coming from Amazon in October. Probably gonna open one of my 2 Gamestop ones and leave the other 3 sealed. Best Buy order will probably be canceled. Gamestops switched to Xenoblade and Lollipop Chainsaw. You have to figure Ubisoft expected something like this would happen..

Everyone and their mother is selling these on eBay. I wonder if the price will skyrocket when these can't be got in the stores anymore?

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Picked one up. Obviously won't be a collector's item as there were a ton of them on display...[/QUOTE]

You would think this, but I asked both Best Buy and Gamestop managers I pre-ordered from today and they said that they wouldn't be getting anymore. Don't know how reliable their word is, but that's what I'm going with for now.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I have no intention of buying the game at full price but I bought the steelbook at Best Buy today. I collect steelbooks and it looks awesome.[/QUOTE]

Same here, love the steelbook. But with release date of 10/31. I see this being 30$ or 35$ on BF.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Picked one up. Obviously won't be a collector's item as there were a ton of them on display.
Will probably keep it wrapped in plastic until I pick up the game, as steel books look pretty but pick up fingerprints and scratches/shelf wear like they love it.
Anything I'm missing as far as internal contents?

The back seems to be pretty explicit that it is just a down payment on the game, and you can get a refund later on, though. So I guess if we don't pick up we can bring in our receipts and get five bucks back? I might not do that simply because I don't mind paying a five for it, but just curious if I was reading that correctly.

Long thread, so apologies if asked and answered.[/QUOTE]

Dude get your five bucks back. These steelbooks are just effective marketing,

[quote name='Dark Rider']Wow! I need to pick up one of those steelbooks. It has to be one of the most beautiful steelbooks I have ever seen. I have no intention of buying the game at launch though. I couldn't even get through Revelations after playing so much of 1, 2, and Brotherhood.[/QUOTE]

I really like this one, but it still comes no where close to my MvC3 steelbook.

And now to a more pertinent info. GS AND BBY employees are both saying this is supposed to be a limited print per Ubi. It is supposed to "reward those that show interest early" per an email that they read. But knowing Ubi they will most likely mass produce these after they see all the preorders (that will get canceled later).

[quote name='Booj']Just a small note: Best buy charges tax with the pre-order. Gamestop does not. Methinks Best Buy thinks its a separate entity, and is handling it different than Gamestop.

I got a "refund" of my $5.35 today (mostly because they didn't give me a steelbook to begin with) and went to gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Correct. It's just how they do their preorders.

Basically GS just makes it a $5 payment towards the game. BBY uses their preorders as a $5 payoff of the game. Sounds close to the same, but since BBY you are actually paying off part of the game it also takes tax into account.

Think of it like RZ certs or manufacturer coupons. Both take the price down and the difference in price isn't taxable. Conversely GS just gives you credit that can be applied to the game purchase at a later date.

Picked up a pair of these today. I see that the back says you can get a refund with receipt, so I might try to get the $10 back later on since I wont be picking this up day one.

Thanks op, picked one up. It doesnt look to be rare as the display at my local BB had like 50 of these things. Looks pretty cool, I also saw a Mupets tin for 7.50, but passed since I assume BB will have the Mupets blu ray at or around MSRP.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']Thanks op, picked one up. It doesnt look to be rare as the display at my local BB had like 50 of these things. Looks pretty cool, I also saw a Mupets tin for 7.50, but passed since I assume BB will have the Mupets blu ray at or around MSRP.[/QUOTE]

It isn't, I can see these sitting around for a long time.

I hate my Best Buys. I called earlier today to ask if they put out the steelbooks. After being on hold for ten minutes, the lady came back and said that I'm supposed to pick it up when the game releases.

I had to go down there (South Maryland) anyways to pick up Batman: AC, and when I got there, I saw two displays for it with the steelbooks out. One near the cash registers in front, and one by the gaming desk.

And then they wouldn't let me use the coupon for AC for both a PS3 and 360 edition. -sigh- But hey, at least I finally got the darn steelbook.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']I hate my Best Buys. I called earlier today to ask if they put out the steelbooks. After being on hold for ten minutes, the lady came back and said that I'm supposed to pick it up when the game releases.

I had to go down there (South Maryland) anyways to pick up Batman: AC, and when I got there, I saw two displays for it with the steelbooks out. One near the cash registers in front, and one by the gaming desk.

And then they wouldn't let me use the coupon for AC for both a PS3 and 360 edition. -sigh- But hey, at least I finally got the darn steelbook.[/QUOTE]

Thanks sucks. I remember calling a best buy about dead space 2 CE for Pc. They put me on hold for 15 mins and then said they dont have it. I even gave the sKU and said 1 in stock. I went there a week later, I see 1 copy sitting in front of the PC games in plain view.

I hope BB sells these for a penny since i saw like 50+ on display....

Got one last night, pretty nice steel case. I had just turned $42.88 spent at BB into $112.70 at gamestop, so getting this as a free bonus for the preorder was a no-brainer. Even if I decide to cancel my AC3 preorder I get to keep the case.

I spoke to a GS rep on the phone and he said they were getting another shipment of these(about 60 cases). Not so limited after all!

[quote name='Kay_Faraday']I spoke to a GS rep on the phone and he said they were getting another shipment of these(about 60 cases). Not so limited after all![/QUOTE]

Very rarely are gaming items all that "limited". I don't really care how "limited" the manufacturing run was for these steel cases, I got one for myself and that's all that matters to me. To me what really matters is the quality/design of the item, and in this case I'm fully satisfied with those aspects.

Gamestop's allocation seemed to be somewhat more "limited" than at best buy. I went to two best buy's to get copies of batman and both stores had these large display cases full of these metal cases. Gamestop on the other hand seemed to only have the one case I got with the preorder and one other case that had already been opened to show customers. Unless they had more in the back room or stashed under the counter to create the illusion of "limited" quantities, which I wouldn't doubt gamestop would do given their shady practices of selling opened games as "new". Amazon's offering is the worst of the three, they won't ship the metal case until the game itself ships, and there's no guarantees that you're getting one. With BB and gamestop you get it on the spot when preordering and if you cancel the preorder you get to keep the case.

[quote name='erickdj']Very rarely are gaming items all that "limited". I don't really care how "limited" the manufacturing run was for these steel cases, I got one for myself and that's all that matters to me. To me what really matters is the quality/design of the item, and in this case I'm fully satisfied with those aspects.

Gamestop's allocation seemed to be somewhat more "limited" than at best buy. I went to two best buy's to get copies of batman and both stores had these large display cases full of these metal cases. Gamestop on the other hand seemed to only have the one case I got with the preorder and one other case that had already been opened to show customers. Unless they had more in the back room or stashed under the counter to create the illusion of "limited" quantities, which I wouldn't doubt gamestop would do given their shady practices of selling opened games as "new". Amazon's offering is the worst of the three, they won't ship the metal case until the game itself ships, and there's no guarantees that you're getting one. With BB and gamestop you get it on the spot when preordering and if you cancel the preorder you get to keep the case.[/QUOTE]

GameStop received near 2.5x more steelbooks than Best Buy. GS stores were shipped 60 each, BB has 25 each.

Big pile of BS on the 25 cases per BB store. I was at a small BB and they had easily 100 cases available. I saw them myself, no one "told" me about it.

[quote name='Darknuke']who cares if they aren't rare? They are AWESOME and essentially free.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was a GS today and saw this. It looks to awesome not to put $5 for it.

bread's done
Back