Updated/Resolved: HORRIFYING experience at Game Crazy

zohar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
UPDATE: I just received a call from the district manager, and we discussed my experience at the store. He was very courteous, and told me that actions will be taken (nothing specified). He also offered me a free copy of Dead Space. I politely declined the offer, but the gesture was appreciated. My hope is that this was an isolated incident (though from the responses here, I doubt it). Maybe at least the conditions at my local store will improve from this.

UPDATE #2: I received another call from the district manager, and LOL, they reviewed the security tapes. Omg, that must've been so hilarious. Because when I first walked into the store, I couldn't even FIND the employee -- he was hidden behind a PS3 kiosk and never greeted me. Anyway he apologized again, said that my story checked out 100%, and asked if I'd be willing to accept a gift card and try out one of their other locations. I reluctantly said yes this time, and I do plan on checking out another location. Unfortunately the next closest one is in Seattle so I can't just drive by when I want to, but I'll try to make a stop if I'm ever in the city.

All in all, I am surprised at the seriousness that the higher-ups gave this. They contacted me, got my statement, reviewed security tapes, got statements from OTHER customers from that Game Crazy, and gave me a final call back. All this within 24 hours. Impressive, I thought.

I went to my local Game Crazy today (7/12) in Redmond, WA to get in on their Dead Space sale, which is valid from 7/6 to 7/12. I bought 2 copies of the PS3 version: one new for myself, and one used for my friend. Of course, the only last new copy is gutted (opened, but sold as new), and while I hate gutted games and the practice in general, I figure the game was cheap enough for me to let it slide this time.

Unfortunately, it all goes downhill from there.

I look at my receipt, and there are two additional $1.00 and $2.00 charges to me. I ask the cashier what the charge was for, and HE CLAIMED that the game was actually $25 and he gave me a $2 discount and a $3 free insurance on both games. I say, "umm, no. That's not right." I told him the sticker on the new game itself says $19.99, and that's what their ad says. Defensively, he repeatedly claims that his screen showed $25.

I ask him to show me the screen. He refuses of course, only replying now, "Ok what do you want? A refund?" No, I want to see the screen. But he never shows me and so I just tell him to give me a refund.

Now it gets worse. I must've spent at least 15 minutes standing there, while he "attempted" to refund the game back to my credit card. It's not that hard. He mysteriously prints out SEVERAL (must've been 7 or 8) receipts saying he was doing it wrong. I did check the receipts out, and it did look like he kept refunded it to me as store credit instead of on my card. But I am still concerned, as that's a LOT of transactions. I have the "final" return receipt with me, and I'm prepared to make a call to my credit card company later this month.

When I see the receipt, it says "$22.99" which is exactly $19.99 + the $3.00 BS insurance fee that he charged me earlier. I guess all that typing and re-trying on the computer must've been him attempting to adjust the price on the game.

Yes, I know it's stupid to get mad about three dollars. But it's not really about three dollars any more. It's about the RIDICULOUS customer service that game specialty stores have. I'm already not a fan of Gamestop (to say the least), but I thought Game Crazy was "ok." I guess not. Given the option of not buying the game versus supporting an illegimate practice... I'll live without the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd put in a complaint with the manager, and if it was the manager, then to corporate offices. That's utter bullshit of them to pull that.

Hell, I'd ask for store credit on top of the refund just for the fact that they tried to rip you off. They *owe* you now, and not just $2 on top of the normal refund.

[quote name='k9homan']yeah, just stop giving them your money. which gamecrazy is this one?[/QUOTE]

This was the lone Game Crazy in Redmond, WA.

[quote name='Fearia']I'd put in a complaint with the manager, and if it was the manager, then to corporate offices. That's utter bullshit of them to pull that.

Hell, I'd ask for store credit on top of the refund just for the fact that they tried to rip you off. They *owe* you now, and not just $2 on top of the normal refund.[/QUOTE]

I would really love to do that. How do you get a hold of the manager? I tried looking through their "contact us" page but couldn't find anything.

I didn't know game crazy's had gutted copies like gamestops do? The only game crazy near me is actually inside of a hollywood video and they have all new games locked up in a case by themselves. Never seen a case sitting out that was supposed to be a new copy.

[quote name='Darth Indy']I didn't know game crazy's had gutted copies like gamestops do? The only game crazy near me is actually inside of a hollywood video and they have all new games locked up in a case by themselves. Never seen a case sitting out that was supposed to be a new copy.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think so either. I've bought a few "last copies" of games from Game Crazy before (notably, the Tales of Vesperia sale), and it wasn't gutted. Must be YMMV?

[quote name='zohar']I would really love to do that. How do you get a hold of the manager? I tried looking through their "contact us" page but couldn't find anything.[/QUOTE]
I would recommend calling the store like a day or two later and asking for him/her. Don't tell the person on the phone why you need them. If they ask, tell them you were expecting a callback from them about a job or something. That way they don't suspect it's for a complaint and put a "manager" on the phone or give you any BS.

Game Crazy is horrible. They are no better than Game$top when it comes to trying to get one over on the customer. Gutted games, bait and switch tactics, and their employees are clueless beyond words.

[quote name='zohar']This was the lone Game Crazy in Redmond, WA.[/QUOTE]
No kidding? I live in Redmond, WA too. Last time I went in there was several months ago to pick up College Hoops 2k8 because Gamestop had sold out (this was right during the March Madness Tournament).

I had a similar experience except here I had two employees try to sell me on the one dollar insurance that as they said "allow you to return the game if there are any problems with the disc". So I asked if they thought something was wrong with the disc and of course they start to scramble and I take a look and it's all good so I politely refuse the insurance.

Well as I walk out to my car lo and behold they charged me the $1 insurance! Like your story not the end of the world, but this is very frustrating and extremely poor customer service. Won't be in that store anytime soon.

[quote name='Darth Indy']I didn't know game crazy's had gutted copies like gamestops do? The only game crazy near me is actually inside of a hollywood video and they have all new games locked up in a case by themselves. Never seen a case sitting out that was supposed to be a new copy.[/QUOTE]

Gamecrazy lets you try any game before you buy it, or at least the one around here does. So when somebody wants to play game X, they open a sealed copy and let the customer play it, thus creating a gutted copy.

I guess I've been semi-lucky. They've never tried to overcharge me or lie about the sales price... so far. One Gamecrazy wouldn't stop trying to hard sell me on MVP, game guard and the kitchen sink -- I must've said no 20 times. I think the clerk got mad when I even said no to a bag!

I currently work for a GAMECRAZY and have so for 2 years. I can attest to these tactics taking place at work. My D.M. used to tell us to ring up a game and to only tell customers that the game would cost $xx.xx "with the gameguard" and that only if the person asks "what is a gameguard?" were we supposed to explain it to them and give them a choice as to whether or not they wanted it. Its downright dirty tactics and I NEVER employed this method. When I first started working for this company, it was really cool and all of the employees were laid back. Now I can definatly tell you that this company is just GAMESTOP with different logos and uniforms. Alot of my regualr customers refuse to shop there unless Im working. They tell me its because I dont feed them bullshit and lies. When someone asks me whether a game is good or not, I tell them the honest truth and not that bullshit "Its a top seller right now" line. I have so much hatred for this company, did you know that for the 2 years that I have worked there full time, I was never considered full time in their system and subsiquently never recieved any vacation or sick leave. I still dont even get a lunch break and I typically work 10 hour or more shifts. The company is based out of Washington state and to hear that one of their "extremely monitered" stores is pulling BS tactics does not surprise me.

Gamecrazy has treated me well. They alert me when stuff I want is in, they let me take the manuals and covers for games that I don't have, and I play a few games with the employees every once in a while. It's pretty laid back. And they have gutted copies, but they aren't gamestop gutted where they gut them for displays, the gutted copies are mainly because customers wanted to test drive it which is more admirable then gutting it for guttings sake.

[quote name='Acidbath42024']I currently work for a GAMECRAZY and have so for 2 years. I can attest to these tactics taking place at work. My D.M. used to tell us to ring up a game and to only tell customers that the game would cost $xx.xx "with the gameguard" and that only if the person asks "what is a gameguard?" were we supposed to explain it to them and give them a choice as to whether or not they wanted it. Its downright dirty tactics and I NEVER employed this method. When I first started working for this company, it was really cool and all of the employees were laid back. Now I can definatly tell you that this company is just GAMESTOP with different logos and uniforms. Alot of my regualr customers refuse to shop there unless Im working. They tell me its because I dont feed them bullshit and lies. When someone asks me whether a game is good or not, I tell them the honest truth and not that bullshit "Its a top seller right now" line. I have so much hatred for this company, did you know that for the 2 years that I have worked there full time, I was never considered full time in their system and subsiquently never recieved any vacation or sick leave. I still dont even get a lunch break and I typically work 10 hour or more shifts. The company is based out of Washington state and to hear that one of their "extremely monitered" stores is pulling BS tactics does not surprise me.[/QUOTE]

There used to be a manager that was just like how you described. He got a lot of complaints and did a lot of stupid shit and he got his ass booted. It sucked when the great managers left and got replaced by THAT. Basically he was a WOW nerd and played nothing but rpgs and was in general an annoyance, but he got replaced with someone that knew more about customer service. So there is some form of justice.

The Gamecrazies near me have really been pushing the "Game Guard" lately. Every time, it's been "You want Game Guard on these, right?" "No." "But it's only $2 extra blah blah"

Not as bad as when I got tricked into charging my credit card and signing for someone else's preorders. That was classy!

[quote name='cranguy']The Gamecrazies near me have really been pushing the "Game Guard" lately. Every time, it's been "You want Game Guard on these, right?" "No." "But it's only $2 extra blah blah"

Not as bad as when I got tricked into charging my credit card and signing for someone else's preorders. That was classy![/QUOTE]

A new employee tried to do that to me just put the gameguard on the game. I tried to get a refund and he said he couldn't. I just waited till one of the regular employees was there, told him about it he apologized and refunded the difference and scolded the new employee for doing that to me LOL.

gamecrazy itself is a good company, it's the employees that try bs tactics like this that sour everyone on the store. call 1-8-speak-to-us to voice your concerns. don't tolerate getting screwed like that

It doesn't matter if it was $1 or $1M. If they take any amount of money from you beyond what you agree to, it is stealing. If I am treated crappy by someone, I would demand their District or Regional Manager's number on the spot and call them on the spot. If they didn't care, I would move on to corporate. But for any amount of money taken from you without your permission, feel free to skip talking to a manger and instead call the police (not 911!) and report a theft. It may sound extreme, but it wasn't their right to take your money and it won't stop until doing so has caused the store enough hassle. I'm going to go in the other room and check my GC receipt right now after reading this story...

The reason I go to the gamecrazys around here is because they don't pull that crap. That is what GS dsoes here, they once even acted like they were putting me in their computer system but were signing me up for the EDGE card...I like my GC, the manager is nice, and the employees are cool for the most part. once a chick working there told me I could have her, or a dead hooker from her trunk if I bought MVP, That was weird, but otherwise the store here is great.

[quote name='Sinnbox']The reason I go to the gamecrazys around here is because they don't pull that crap. That is what GS dsoes here, they once even acted like they were putting me in their computer system but were signing me up for the EDGE card...I like my GC, the manager is nice, and the employees are cool for the most part. once a chick working there told me I could have her, or a dead hooker from her trunk if I bought MVP, That was weird, but otherwise the store here is great.[/QUOTE]

I would have taken the dead hooker :lol:

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']i miss the play n' trade i used to go to when i lived in south carolina :([/QUOTE]

One recently opened near where I work. I may start going there.

While it may be true that maybe the employees and not the company is to blame for these tactics, I can't help but think that someone at the top is also responsible for pushing these 'quotas' and tactics.

Whenever I walk into the local GC store and there're a few of the regular workers there, all I ever hear is their discussions on how 'their numbers' are going for the month. The ones who are meeting or beating their 'quotas' are always gloating about it.

This particular store is worse than Gamestop when it comes to pushing 'game guards', and the 'mvp' stuff. Liars, and thieves...'cause when they sell you something you either did not know about or did not ask for, they're taking money from your wallet.

I went today, and spent the last bit of credit I had with them, and after reading a few posts from here, I'm done with them for good.

I would've walked away right at "last copy is gutted."

My one GameCrazy has always been good to me, but I don't go there very often. It's located in the not so great part of town

Just stop going to Gamecrazy. Complete waste of time. It's too much drama going there.

unfortunately, a good game crazy is definitely YMMV.

And one thing to remember is the customer base in the area. I push game guards hard at my location, but mainly because 95% of our customer base treats their games like garbage and then wonder why we won't take their scratched up games or games with laser burn.
Obviously not everyone in the area treats their games this way, but when you are so used to looking at scratched games all day, you kinda just assuming it is everyone and telling them how beneficial the game guard would be for them.

Thanks to everyone here. I'm not happy to hear that others have experienced similar treatment, but I am not too surprised. Game Stop has pulled a lot of shit on me (mostly around gutted games, jacking my preorder items, and badgering me for preorders/subscriptions), but at least they don't actually CHARGE me for things I did not ask for. Anyway, I've written an email to Game Crazy customer service explaining the situation, and if that doesn't generate any useful replies, I plan to call their customer service line. If that fails, I plan on contacting their corporate office in Oregon.

I'm glad my Game Crazy isn't like this at all. Most of the people they employ there are cool. I used to refuse to get an MVP membership with every transaction. This happened so much that the guy working there kept a running total of what I would have saved and would rip on me about it. In a friendly way, of course. I never got sneaky fees attached to my purchases. It was a cool place to hang out and play games, or just shoot the shit for a while.

Lately, they've been not as cool as they were, but still light-years ahead of most GameStops. I'm sorry that this happened to you, OP.

So I go into GameCrazy to get in on the Dead Space sale, which is still
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

[quote name='Sinnbox']once a chick working there told me I could have her, or a dead hooker from her trunk if I bought MVP[/QUOTE]

now that's a sales pitch.

Game Stop has pulled a lot of shit on me (mostly around gutted games, jacking my preorder items, and badgering me for preorders/subscriptions), but at least they don't actually CHARGE me for things I did not ask for.
I'm willing to bet you're a victim to their disc repair fee upon trading in. It works the exact same way. In GC's instance, they took cash away.. in GS's instance, they take store credit away. So many people complain about GG's, but no one complains about GS's refurb fees on trades?

I used to refuse to get an MVP membership with every transaction. This happened so much that the guy working there kept a running total of what I would have saved and would rip on me about it. In a friendly way, of course.
I've done this before. I push for it when I know people will save money, and when they still refuse, I use this tactic. There was one instance where the guy would've already saved $40 in the past month by getting it. Some people are just so used to saying "no" to everything that they don't stop and think of what paying $10 to save 10% all year will do for them.

It sucks that you guys have bad GC's, but honestly, the numbers game will probably get worse. They really do monitor everything.

[quote name='JuliannAdams']So I go into GameCrazy to get in on the Dead Space sale, which is still
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)[/QUOTE]

sometimes I wonder how some people manage to log on to the internet. :)

[quote name='Scorch'] I'm willing to bet you're a victim to their disc repair fee upon trading in. It works the exact same way. In GC's instance, they took cash away.. in GS's instance, they take store credit away. So many people complain about GG's, but no one complains about GS's refurb fees on trades?[/QUOTE]

I actually never trade in any of my used games to Game Stop, at least not since disc-media has been introduced :) So no, I've never had this happen to me. But damn, that sounds stupid. I'm assuming you mean they force a "disc repair" service onto your trade-in even though your disc probably plays just fine?

[quote name='Scorch']now that's a sales pitch.

I'm willing to bet you're a victim to their disc repair fee upon trading in. It works the exact same way. In GC's instance, they took cash away.. in GS's instance, they take store credit away. So many people complain about GG's, but no one complains about GS's refurb fees on trades?

I've done this before. I push for it when I know people will save money, and when they still refuse, I use this tactic. There was one instance where the guy would've already saved $40 in the past month by getting it. Some people are just so used to saying "no" to everything that they don't stop and think of what paying $10 to save 10% all year will do for them.

It sucks that you guys have bad GC's, but honestly, the numbers game will probably get worse. They really do monitor everything.

sometimes I wonder how some people manage to log on to the internet. :)[/QUOTE]

LOL I was one of those people for one year. I said NO to the MVP for about a year. Then they shown me the savings and I still said no. I eventually got tired of them asking and bought it.

[quote name='Paco']LOL I was one of those people for one year. I said NO to the MVP for about a year. Then they shown me the savings and I still said no. I eventually got tired of them asking and bought it.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I did. The guy nearly fell over when I said I'd get it.

I really got it only for free disc buffing, but to be honest, I got it two months ago and haven't used it yet :bomb: I'll force myself to go this weekend and at least see what they have. The last time I went, they had Raiden III, but it was in a shitty Hollywood Video rental case.

Lucky me I haven't had problems yet. But they're really, really pushing Game Guard. Like, I have to beg them to not get it. It's insane. I know they have their numbers, but Goddammit I am not in the minority when I say I don't need a Game Guard.

What is suppose to be a 2-3 minute walk-in, walk-out with game trip usually tusn out to be a 10-15 minute sales presentation to get me to be a MVP member, to trade in games, to buy disc protection for the games I'm buying, disc buffering of games with or without a MVP membership and lastly if I need some XBL/Wii/PSN points.

And it's not like they're even trying to give it variety, as soon as you say, "No thanks," they move right onto the next upservice spiel.

And to think I wanted to work there....

Oh well can't beat walking out with SW:tFU and Dead Space for $33

Issues like that, overall, is why I don't typically shop at retail. 10, 15 years ago, it was "Would you like a strategy guide with that?". I can deal with that. I might be retarded, not know that these things exist, actually want one. For the Square RPGs, it was usually a good move to go ahead and buy the damn guide.

Now?

"Would you like a strategy guide? Insurance? (Insurance, the biggest scam running in the USA) XBLA/PSN/Wii spacebucks? Do you care if it's already opened? (We swear, it's new, even though it isn't) Would you like to preorder (looks me over and decides I must be a music game fan) Guitar Hero 5? Would you like to trade any games in? (I have NOTHING on me, save a wallet) Will that be all today?"

My theory? Gamestop is actually trying to kill it's own retail outlets. That's the only explanation, for the hassel. I can click and type for 30 seconds, and order a game I want. I don't need to drive to a retail location and be bothered with non-sense.

During the whole Dead Space fiasco, I contacted Corporate management on 3 occassions and it certainly did the trick. Not only did they call and bitch out local management, but they offered me store credit for having to deal with this shit (I told them I'd be taking my business to Gamestop and BB in the future).

i agree with scorch.. GC as a whole is great store.. if that store is not making their quota with the game guard they probably have become desperate and started adding it without asking. they shouldnt do that though cause that will eventually lead to termination. the customer needs to know theyre adding all that stuff in before they charge you. call the toll free number, get the clerk in trouble.

i hate the new game crazy setup btw, you cant see whats behind the registers anymore. they rarely have anything good as far as used games are concern but they do have alot of older oop titles behind the register. they also started gutting the games since the wall of new games is now gone.

There aren't any Gamecrazy's left here (gee I wonder why?). The ones I have been to in the past have been horrible. They push the MVP card like its crack. They also wouldn't let me buy stuff at all unless I gave them my name, address and phone number. I don't give out personal information willy nilly. GC also tried to hire me once because I was wearing a game shirt in the most embarrassing way possible in the middle of the store in front of a bunch of people so after that I pretty much swore off the store for life. Not that I could even shop there anymore since there aren't any left where I live.

Gamestop isn't the best but they never seem to hassle me about silly stuff, and I have never found a charge on the receipt that I didn't ask for, if they hassle me I just tell them I don't want it and they quit bothering me. They don't make fun of me or try to hire me when I go into the store.

I used to love the Gamecrazy by my work but about a year ago they got rid of the staff total revamp. The manager used to be a gamer, the new manager is a 40 something woman with retail experience not a clue about anything but pushing the Gamecube2(Wii). I really hate these stores thinking of taking all my pre orders to Amazon.

If they're really that desperate to jack up their game guard quota, couldn't they just cheat and give you the MVP discount even if you don't have it and then charge you for game guard? They come out behind money-wise, but at least their game guard numbesr are up.

If I ever go back to Game Crazy and the clerk gives me another 10-minute pitch on MVP, I wonder if maybe I'll just tell him that MVP only saves me the cost of tax and I can just get that and more buying online.

as much as i want gc to be cool, they all suck
i special ordered a game, 2 months later nothing
and i try to get my money back and 'they dont know how'
the stores are always a huge mess
too many hs kids playing guitar queero
viva la game stop

FYE has tried that with me before with their "game insurance". They charged me an extra $3 and tried to tell me that was the price of the game. When I called him out on it, he had this smug smile on his face and started saying some crap like, "You don't want this FREE replacement plan?". It was only after I got pretty loud that they finally took the $3 charge off.

Gamecrazy's not much better. I tried to get a couple of discs resurfaced (I have the $5 disc resurfacing card). The employee was going to do it but the manager runs over and starts BSing about how he couldn't do it unless I had an MVP membership.

Buying from game or media only stores are becoming worse and worse in my opinion.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']If they're really that desperate to jack up their game guard quota, couldn't they just cheat and give you the MVP discount even if you don't have it and then charge you for game guard? They come out behind money-wise, but at least their game guard numbesr are up.

If I ever go back to Game Crazy and the clerk gives me another 10-minute pitch on MVP, I wonder if maybe I'll just tell him that MVP only saves me the cost of tax and I can just get that and more buying online.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty tempted to just tell them either:

1. I have already crunched the numbers and decided that the purchase of an Edge/MVP card is not worth it for me. I would have to spend $200 in this store just to save 5$ extra after the cost of membership. I can save a lot more shopping with amazon, newegg, ebay or just by waiting for prices to drop and I don't have to buy a membership to anywhere to do that. (In fact, by doing this I save a lot more than 5$ PER GAME I buy). For the occasional sale game I buy at GS or wherever, it just isn't worth it.

2. I am a customer of this store, I want to buy said item at the advertised price, I am not here to inflate your numbers or your store's numbers.

Note that these would only be used in a situation of extreme hard sell if the employees did not shut up, I wouldn't say this unless they wouldn't stop trying to sell me stuff I didn't want.

bread's done
Back