Upgrading hard drive, couple questions

BostonGeorge

CAGiversary!
I'll preface by saying, yes, I did read the "Upgrading your..." thread and I've researched online, prior to posting. The topics I've read really didn't address my questions, with the exception of brand preference which I'll ask for a few opinions below.

Anyone have a preference on brands or specific models? The one I'm looking at right now is a Western Digital 500GB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s. From what I read, great reviews and from many who have bought to use with their PS3s. Any concerns with that drive or another model I should consider from Seagate, Hitachi, ect.?

Now, what I wanted to know is about the cache size. A lot of people reported faster performance with larger cache sizes but their comparison was coming from the 2MB stock unit and going to 8MB. The model I'm looking at has a 32MB cache and I'm wondering if the PS3 or hard drive will take advantage of that or if it's a waste. The price difference from the 16MB model is only $10 so price doesn't really matter.

Finally, I want know if I'll need to connect this hdd to my pc and format it to fat32 or if the PS3 will do that for me, as I've read posts citing both methods. I'm wondering does the PS3's current firmware factor in, the replacement hdd, and/or the PS3 model that have, which is the original 60GB from '07. If there isn't a clear answer, I guess I'll buy a $10 external case just so I can hook it up to my PC for formatting. I don't want to take my tower apart.

Always appreciated. Thanks guys

A larger cache is good if you're dealing with lots of tiny little files. If you're trying to move a ton of songs from an eternal HD to your PS3, the larger cache will left. But if you're transferring a large file (lets say a movie) or installing a game, it'll be of little use.

As for formatting, you just stick it in your PS3 and it'll do the rest.

Oh, and I know this can't be overstated: BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE SCREWS from the HD tray! They're made of some kind of silver colored butter.

[quote name='Vinny']A larger cache is good if you're dealing with lots of tiny little files. If you're trying to move a ton of songs from an eternal HD to your PS3, the larger cache will left. But if you're transferring a large file (lets say a movie) or installing a game, it'll be of little use.

Oh, and I know this can't be overstated: BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE SCREWS from the HD tray! They're made of some kind of silver colored butter.[/QUOTE]

This times a BAJILLION.

Also going to a 32mb cache didn't really do much for me. Either way, it's easier to just throw the new hd in and let the ps3 format itself and then transfer your old files.

Really, then I'm wondering if plug 'n' play is now possible due to the current firmware or my older PS3 model. However, I have heard of some slim owners needing to format their new hdd to fat32 via their pcs. Any idea?

Oh, and I know this can't be overstated: BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE SCREWS from the HD tray! They're made of some kind of silver colored butter.
Oh yeah, I've read about that. Some guy even used needle-nose pliers to loosen the blue screen up first. That has my nerves going a bit.

Nice tag under your name, BTW. I still play UC2 online almost every night. Contender for game of the decade, IMHO.

Also going to a 32mb cache didn't really do much for me.
No? I wonder of what the difference might be like with a game like GT5. While running a custom soundtrack, I should add.
Either way, it's easier to just throw the new hd in and let the ps3 format itself and then transfer your old files.
So my 60GB PS3 should have no problem formatting a 500GB NFTS hdd to fat32? It would save me another ten bucks just from buying an external case from newegg. I just don't want to take out the butter screw, install it, and then find out I've got to run out and buy a $30 case at someplace late at night. That would suck.

[quote name='BostonGeorge']No? I wonder of what the difference might be like with a game like GT5. While running a custom soundtrack, I should add. So my 60GB PS3 should have no problem formatting a 500GB NFTS hdd to fat32? It would save me another ten bucks just from buying an external case from newegg. I just don't want to take out the butter screw, install it, and then find out I've got to run out and buy a $30 case at someplace late at night. That would suck.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to preformat the hard drive for the PS3. You MIGHT need to format the hard drive you'll save your backup to though. The external hard drive I used (just upgraded my HD about 4 days ago) was formatted as NTFS, so I had to create a new partition and format it as FAT32 then make the backup. Of course if you're not backing up your data this doesn't matter.

As for the screws, I used a precision phillips #0 for the HD tray and a #1 for the 'blue' screw, none of them were stripped in the process.

Also, make sure to have the latest firmware update on a thumbdrive or external hard drive (it can be the same where you made the backup) since it's pretty likely you'll be required to use it. Also, synchronize your trophies BEFORE starting the backup (I actually lost some :()

You don't need to preformat the hard drive for the PS3. You MIGHT need to format the hard drive you'll save your backup to though. The external hard drive I used (just upgraded my HD about 4 days ago) was formatted as NTFS, so I had to create a new partition and format it as FAT32 then make the backup. Of course if you're not backing up your data this doesn't matter.
Yeah, and my external hard drive was easy as it gave you the option of NFTS or fat32 out of the box. I didn't even need to force the computer into DOS to do so. Bought it when I was trouble-shooting my PS3, earlier in the year, (replaced the blu-ray laser) so I'll finally get some use out of it.

As for the screws, I used a precision phillips #0 for the HD tray and a #1 for the 'blue' screw, none of them were stripped in the process.
Yup, I've got the "little blue box" of the precision drivers. Still hope I don't screw it up, somehow.

Also, synchronize your trophies BEFORE starting the backup (I actually lost some :(
Did not know that. Will synchronize.

Thanks for the info

I just installed the exact Western Digital drive you're speaking of. You mentioned custom soundtracks, which is where I noticed a difference. I use custom soundtracks while playing Gran Turismo 5 (because the in-game soundtrack is HORRIBLE), and going from an 8mb to 32mb cache has definitely improved the speed and consistency of custom soundtracks.

The blue and silver screws are indeed fragile. Just apply a small amount of torque to loosen the screws... just watch to make sure that the screw is turning as you turn the screwdriver. Sounds stupid... but it's the easiest way to make sure that you're not accidentally stripping the screw. They are really SOFT.

The system should format the drive without any problems. I have a slim, and it formatted just fine. However, I did have to download the latest firmware from Sony's website to a flash drive to complete the new installation. So you might want to have a flash drive handy.

I was down to 1.3 GB remaining prior to my most recent HDD upgrade. Having the extra space is a relief!

[quote name='BostonGeorge']No? I wonder of what the difference might be like with a game like GT5. While running a custom soundtrack, I should add. So my 60GB PS3 should have no problem formatting a 500GB NFTS hdd to fat32? It would save me another ten bucks just from buying an external case from newegg. I just don't want to take out the butter screw, install it, and then find out I've got to run out and buy a $30 case at someplace late at night. That would suck.[/QUOTE]

I bought the hdd way before GT5 so I certainly wouldn't notice a difference with that game. I did happen to play MGS4 and RE5 after the swap and didn't notice a huge difference either.

But like others have said, it's easier just to throw the new hdd and let the PS3 do it's thing. No other accessory needed.

Just did the backup last night. almost 6 hours to transfer 65GB. I should have deleted some Game files. Next steps are to synch trophies, remove old/install new hard drive, run backup utility to restore.

Then maybe look for an enclosure for my soon to be new 120GB portable hard drive.

[quote name='nakanenui']Just did the backup last night. almost 6 hours to transfer 65GB. I should have deleted some Game files. Next steps are to synch trophies, remove old/install new hard drive, run backup utility to restore.

Then maybe look for an enclosure for my soon to be new 120GB portable hard drive.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the only thing you need to transfer are the save and maybe media files. Otherwise, you can just install the games when you play it. Especially since the transfer process can get borked sometimes. I had mine hang at 99% and corrupted a couple files. A re-install of the games helped.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']I just installed the exact Western Digital drive you're speaking of. You mentioned custom soundtracks, which is where I noticed a difference. I use custom soundtracks while playing Gran Turismo 5 (because the in-game soundtrack is HORRIBLE), and going from an 8mb to 32mb cache has definitely improved the speed and consistency of custom soundtracks.[/QUOTE] Good to hear from an owner. Yeah, the soundtrack is a big deal for me, considering I'll be running WAV files and those are the largest. And like I said, it's only $10 stepping up from the 16MB model so I'll take the chance.

[quote name='nakanenui']Just did the backup last night. almost 6 hours to transfer 65GB. I should have deleted some Game files. Next steps are to synch trophies, remove old/install new hard drive, run backup utility to restore.[/QUOTE] Dang, six hours. :whistle2:o I'll be doing about 55GB so I'll report back and I'll let you know about the time. IIRC, creating the back-up the first time wasn't that long, but that was only 33GBs.

[quote name='dohdough']Yeah, the only thing you need to transfer are the save and maybe media files. Otherwise, you can just install the games when you play it. Especially since the transfer process can get borked sometimes. I had mine hang at 99% and corrupted a couple files. A re-install of the games helped.[/QUOTE] Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that. I've already got my media files and gave saves separated and backed up both on my external hdd and pc. Hopefully it won't screw with my downloadable games as those would take a while to download again.

Thanks everyone for confirming that I won't need to format the hard drive. I'm going to place the order today.

The new HD install was easy enough. I had issues updating the firmware for some reason it was not recognizing the update file even though I followed the instruction. Ended up doing a complete FAT32 format on my USB thumbdrive, and redownloading the update and on the 5th try it was able to update, and get me to the xmb. The restore part took about 3 hours. Everything looks good, I just have to verify the games are all there and play them to make sure before formatting the old HD and the external HD.

Did Sony change the screws they used to secure the HDD on the Slims, or are they the same crappiest screws ever that are in the fat systems?

I dont know about the screws quality, but I did use a precision screw driver #1 to do the blue and silver screws. I was careful because I read all the horror stories of stripped screws.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Did Sony change the screws they used to secure the HDD on the Slims, or are they the same crappiest screws ever that are in the fat systems?[/QUOTE]

I've read they're different. When I upgraded they did need some strength to 'unlock', but no stripping at all. Used a Phillips precision #0

bread's done
Back