Valkyria Chronicles $20 at GameStop NEW

I bit, one of the two GS had it in used, and when I went they had it new too, marked $39.99, but rang up $19.99. Of course, it was gutted, but the disc actually looked pristine. THANKS OP!!!!!

[quote name='takotchi']No, for me, it's the lack of trophies, combined with some really dumb gameplay elements that mar the experience for me. One that sticks out in my mind is the enemies almost always ducking your gunfire. (Yes, really. Ducking gunfire... and it happens a lot.) Another one I can remember is your characters having the sight of a horse with blinders on, when enemies practically have eyes in the back of their heads. There's a lot of little, silly crap they stuck in the game that made it frustrating to play sometimes.[/QUOTE]

did you not get metal gear solid 4 or resistance or ratchet and clank tod because of their "lack of trophies"?

[quote name='killerthrust']Gamestop sells it for $5 and GameCrazy trade in price is $15 and i want Prince of Persia for 15[/QUOTE]

For what console, or do they give 15 for PS2/3 and 360?

Thank you so much OP :)
I've been looking for this game.

I picked up the last copy from one of the gamestops at Santa Anita Mall, California. There is one more new copy left at the other gamestop across from Todai in that mall.

[quote name='chiat']Thank you so much OP :)
I've been looking for this game.

I picked up the last copy from one of the gamestops at Santa Anita Mall, California. There is one more new copy left at the other gamestop across from Todai in that mall.[/QUOTE]

haha gotta love TODAI :)

[quote name='bvharris']
Any PS3 owner who doesn't own this game is crazy.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='takotchi']No, for me, it's the lack of trophies, combined with some really dumb gameplay elements that mar the experience for me. One that sticks out in my mind is the enemies almost always ducking your gunfire. (Yes, really. Ducking gunfire... and it happens a lot.) Another one I can remember is your characters having the sight of a horse with blinders on, when enemies practically have eyes in the back of their heads. There's a lot of little, silly crap they stuck in the game that made it frustrating to play sometimes.[/QUOTE]

No trophies... what did you do before trophies/achievements, not play games?

The ducking thing doesn't happen to me often, under 5% of the time I would say. It's an RPG, dodge/block happens.

The vision thing bugged me a bit, but only on certain levels.

Honestly, without the ability to dodge and the enemies have a slight advantage on knowing your location, the game would be WAY too easy, as I honestly didn't find it that difficult.

Don't know what game you were playing but enemies dodging fire didn't happen near often enough to be issue when I played it. Heck their field of vision is no better than your units and if you place them correctly their auto fire will lock down enemies pretty well. Use your units correctly and you'll be getting sneak attacks headshots on a regular basis.

This game is worth every bit of its original $60 price tag and is a must buy at $20.

thanks, picked one up. doesn't seem there are a lot of sealed copies left around the south bay area though. i called a few before finding one. a few stores have "display" copies though.

This is really a well made game, worth the 20 bucks or less. I got it recently and was suprised how fast I got 5 hours into it. Its kinda like a good book where you say to yourself "just one more chapter and I'm done", then you play for 2 hours too long. Easily one of the best games I've played in a while.

Picked up my new gutted copy today, gamestop was sold out but EB games had it.
Thanks OP :)

I played the demo of this and I sucked so bad, but I love the art style, and I am hoping I'll get better with the full game. For $20 it's worth it ;)

Finnnnnnalllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy scored this game.. agh... THx OP!

Side note: got steamboat for PSP for $9.99 new.

Just a few pointers for those who just got the game and are like me and never really played much in the form of strategy games before VC.

For anyone one struggling on a given chapter I recommend watching these:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=57C9714488CAFDA6

Also after Chapter 14, you unlock Skirmish 7. I really detest grinding however this can be completed in a couple of minutes (1 turn) and the EXP boost is huge. Rinse and repeat this skirmish is a very easy way to get your squad well-leveled without too much hassle and should make the final chapters much easier. Anyways, link for tackling Skirmish 7 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFN-8tWdY5w

Hope you guys enjoy this game.

Only 2usd off is not worth the used copy imo, something about that fresh packaging.
smile

Well, i hit 5 GS and they did not have VC, but I did find a few things. I managed to find a metal gear solid 4 collector's edition for 26.99 used, a new copy of Chaos Wars for 9.99, a new copy of Metal Saga for 9.99, and the bouncer used for 2.99.

[quote name='vagrantpaul']Only 2usd off is not worth the used copy imo, something about that fresh packaging.
smile
[/QUOTE]
I agree 100%, surprised to see so many that want the $2 savings and a used copy, but then again, this is CAG.

This thread saved me 20 bucks, I was going to get it for $40 but then I saw this thread and called around to the Gamestop stores here. I round a store that had one new (unfortunately they failed to mention it was a display copy so check for that if this matters to you), so thanks for the save!

[quote name='Brownjohn']The website shows my gamestop in stock, so I'm going to check it out tomorrow. A used copy should be $17.99, right?[/QUOTE]

Yep yep, although for me the 2 dolalrs extra for the new copy is totally justified.

Also: There's a reason the Bouncer is 3 bucks. :lol:

[quote name='jpatern']I got the last copy from Gamestop today near me and wouldn't you know that it's not sealed. Doesn't matter to me because I got it to play it but I am used to Gamestop not having sealed copies if it's the last one being pulled off the shelf.[/QUOTE]

Same exact thing for me yesterday and I also got it to play. Except I was actually a little shocked it wasn't sealed and still considered new (I guess I don't buy much at GS).

[quote name='hendrickfan24']20 is too much for this game, i will wait for it to drop to $10[/QUOTE]

You, sir, have fantastic taste.

[quote name='hendrickfan24']20 is too much for this game, i will wait for it to drop to $10[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, in fact I think $10 is too much for this game, I bought it for $25 I think and absolutely hated it.

Please research games before you buy them and be an informed consumer. This game is basically a strategic turn-based tactical rpg. The only elements it adds is a third person shooter movement and attacking mechanic.

And some AI quirks, and some levels are basically a puzzle. And the only rpg elements are unit class upgrades (weapons, armor, grenades) and hero tank upgrades (inventory space restricted upgrades + class upgrades).

So if you've never liked tactical turn based games, random miss probabilities, random dodge probabilities, then dont buy this game.

[quote name='One4Deuce']I agree 100%, surprised to see so many that want the $2 savings and a used copy, but then again, this is CAG.[/QUOTE]

The possibility of Gamestop having sealed copies of VC at this point aren't a given, so it may be worth saving three bucks (with Edge) over the display copy.

[quote name='vagrantpaul']Only 2usd off is not worth the used copy imo, something about that fresh packaging.
smile
[/QUOTE]

Comes out to almost $4 off after Edge and taking the extra tax into account. That is 20%, which is worth it every time.

Thanks OP for the heads up. I picked up a new copy for 20 bucks. I never got a chance to complete it, and have been waiting on a good deal. They had a used one, and was thinking of holding off until a b2g1 but it was missing the manual so I figured I might as well get the new copy.

Yes, thanks. I'll be doing a Gamestop run soon enough. This is better than stumbling around without a clue what I want to purchase at all.
smile

I was shocked at one of my local Gamestops. They found a gutted copy, but looked around for the unopened copies without me even asking! Last time I was at a Gamestop, the clerk tried to give me a gutted game even though there were plenty of unopened ones.

[quote name='anathema728']Please research games before you buy them and be an informed consumer. This game is basically a strategic turn-based tactical rpg. The only elements it adds is a third person shooter movement and attacking mechanic.

And some AI quirks, and some levels are basically a puzzle. And the only rpg elements are unit class upgrades (weapons, armor, grenades) and hero tank upgrades (inventory space restricted upgrades + class upgrades).

So if you've never liked tactical turn based games, random miss probabilities, random dodge probabilities, then dont buy this game.[/QUOTE]

Being part of a certain genre doesn't excuse things like having enemies evade more than 50% of the time - it's like if a regular RPG had a really high random encounter rate. It makes things frustrating. To get the best rank, sometimes you have to reload and reload and reload (and with VC's load times, that gets old very quickly).

There's just a lot of little unintuitive things in the game. Another example... I thought I'd be smart and get behind some enemy crouching behind sandbags and shoot them. Nope, apparently they are protected from every angle, even though they "appear" completely exposed from the back. You have to use those grenades you can throw only three feet in front of you. :roll:

Don't get me wrong though... even though it pissed me off a lot, I really did like the game. I downloaded the demo of VC2 this morning and it was fun, too. I'll buy the full game, day one, whenever it comes here.

Doubt my GS will have this at $20 new let alone used, bet they still have it at $39.99("new" when it doesn't come in plastic sealing)

I'll check it out though

Managed to score a shiny new, shrinkwrapped copy (yes, I know how the re-shrinkwrapped ones look) in the first GS store I visited which is probably a rarity given it's NYC.

Hopefully this game is right up my alley since I love strategy, turn-based RPGs like Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy tactics back in the PS1 days.

[quote name='Fors78']I have to agree, in fact I think $10 is too much for this game, I bought it for $25 I think and absolutely hated it.[/QUOTE]
Why are you even in this thread? To bitch? No one cares about your opinion about the game, keep discussion to the deal.

[quote name='consoleman']Managed to score a shiny new, shrinkwrapped copy (yes, I know how the re-shrinkwrapped ones look) in the first GS store I visited which is probably a rarity given it's NYC.

Hopefully this game is right up my alley since I love strategy, turn-based RPGs like Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy tactics back in the PS1 days.[/QUOTE]

New games aren't shrinkwrapped at all (for the most part. There are exceptions). They're sealed. Shrinkwrap is a very specific procedure that is often used in re-sealing products. The celophane enclosure on new games is completely different.

I know it's a very trite complaint, but it bugs me. :p

Yes, the one I bought was sealed in cellophane. I'm a stickler for having the game be never previously opened too especially if I'm paying "new game" prices. I'm well aware of GS's practices but every now and then I get lucky and actually get a copy that has never been previously opened.

[quote name='takotchi']Being part of a certain genre doesn't excuse things like having enemies evade more than 50% of the time - it's like if a regular RPG had a really high random encounter rate. It makes things frustrating. To get the best rank, sometimes you have to reload and reload and reload (and with VC's load times, that gets old very quickly).
[/QUOTE]

from the menu, install the game to your harddrive.

this cuts the load times down drastically.

this game rocks. I can relate to some of the 'issues' you listed, but i don't actually agree with them, except perhaps for the low range of grenades till you get that upgraded.

as for evasion, at low levels, yes, your aim isn't great. (for those who haven't played, while you 'aim' for your character, your shots fall within a displayed 'target area'. if you're close enough, and go for the body, your target area might guarantee all hits. if you're further away and go for a headshot, your target area might only be half on the enemies head, and half off, so you'll get somewhere in the 50% hit range. It also tells you how many hits you need for the kill, so you can visually estimate your chances easily.

my only gripe about the game isn't the gameplay itself, but the scoring system. S rank is all about speed, meaning, scorewise, the best score is playing the game like a puzzle and figuring out the fastest way to the objectives. I'd have preferred no emphasis on speed, and instead, on friend/foe casualty rates.

Evade 50%? Do you mean they do this when they're behind cover? And certain enemy hero types have perks that boost their evasion. If you had enemies evading 50% of the time in no cover, something is very very wrong with your game.
Trying to S rank everything is a choice, blame your perfectionist side.

[quote name='placebo3369']Gamestop.com now lists the game as $19.99. It had been $39 the days previous. Picked up a copy for myself.[/QUOTE]

It'd been 39.99 just an hour or so ago! Sweet, now I don't have to hunt it down on foot.

Now to see if I can find a cheap game worth getting the free shipping.

[quote name='DigitalKitsune']Yep, I just got back from 2 gamestop and it was the same thing with both only having one gutted. :bomb:

Gutted != New.[/QUOTE]

Meh, I'm just going to take it home and open it anyway ... :)

Sweet deal, all three of the Gamestops within walking distance have em. I'll go and grab a copy tomorrow and I don't even have a ps3 yet. This is too good to pass up.

bread's done
Back