Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']With this and White Knight, looks like the PS3 will finally have some solid RPG's to play come Fall/Winter[/QUOTE]WKS will be 2009 in the states most likely.

[quote name='Zoglog']I was in japan last week so I was looking all around for the limited edition box, but no avail :)

oh well, no biggie since it's coming to the US. I just hope the english voice overs arent annoying as all hell. Personally I'm hopping for subtitles[/QUOTE]

the game is confirmed to have dual audio

Boxart is up at EB/Gamestop:

270199brp.jpg

Not sure if it is final.

I rarely buy games that I don't flip within a week or two. I'm hoping this game is one of those games I *want* to keep and don't regret buying.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Is there dual audio on the Japanese version?

All these impressions sound great. I just wish the game was coming out this year.[/QUOTE]The game is coming out this year, in November 2008.

DLC Announced:
Sega is currently readying downloadable content for its PlayStation 3 title Senjou no Valkyria (Valkyrie Chronicles in the US) in Japan. In early August a new episode as well as the hard EX mode will be available for download. The former will cost 600 yen ($5.56 US), the latter 300 yen ($2.78 US) to download.

Senjou no Valkyria has been available in Japan since April. A US release is planned for later this year.
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2008/1240.html

RPG Fan even reviewed the import version:
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Valkyria_Chronicles/index.html

Good writeup at 1UP
It's E3, and I'm picking the show's pitiful corpse of the few bits of meat that interest me, in the form of previews. Actually, the most interesting thing I've played so far is the one game I wasn't assigned to -- Valkyria Chronicles . I already loved its art style, but now that I've played the game I realize it's the world's most perfect combination of tactical strategy, third-person action, Nausicaa and unadulterated wonderfulness. Seriously, it's good, and the presence of Skies of Arcadia 's Aika as a playable character pretty much sealed the deal. Meanwhile....
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8807434&publicUserId=5379721

Sounds good! I wonder why the PS3 version wasn't included in Sony's press conference today - it's absolutely gorgeous. The PSP version was a surprise though.

[quote name='coolz481']Sounds good! I wonder why the PS3 version wasn't included in Sony's press conference today - it's absolutely gorgeous. The PSP version was a surprise though.[/QUOTE]There's no PSP version. It was just a big mistake on SCEA's part. Even Sega confirmed again it was PS3 only.

I heard a few tracks from the soundtrack yesterday and it's pretty incredible. The main theme is one of Sakimoto's best and has a definite Vagrant Story feel. I'll definitely be ordering it; I just wish it was eligible for PlayAsia's 25% off sale.

While I'm hesitant to pay full price for new games this generation, I think this has managed to sway me. I'll probably pick it up around release unless it gets completely trashed in the reviews, although previews have been pretty favorable so that seems unlikely. If the game is half as good as the soundtrack, we're in good shape.

Here's a live demo of the game:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/18/live-demo-valkyria-chronicles-ps3-exclusive-srpg/

E3 may now be over, but the games shown off at the event will be a part of our lives throughout this holiday season and beyond. One title that will occupy the lives of PLAYSTATION 3 owners for hours upon hours this fall is Valkyria Chronicles. This PS3-exclusive strategy-JRPG from Sega (to clarify, NOT a PSP game), is utilizing the power of the console to push its dynamic and visually arresting Canvas Engine.

The graphics in Valkyria Chronicles appear similar to an animated watercolor painting, with a bit of the colored-pencil-sketch action seen A-ha’s 1980’s “Take On Me” video. As you’ll see in the video below – it really works.

Speaking of the video, it features Sega Associate Producer Christopher Kaminski detailing the unique battle system found in Valkyria Chronicles – it completely takes the Strategy RPG genre “off the grid.”

We’ll have more on Valkyria Chronicles here on the PlayStation.Blog as we near its November release date.

I believe the game got a score of 34/40 (9/9/8/8) from Famitsu. Skies of Arcadia remains one of my favorite RPG's to this day and I'm happy to see staff from Overworks working on this game. November is shaping up to be a great month for gaming for ps3 owners (pop, valkyria chronicles, the promising looking mirror's edge, bioshock, eternal sonata, and resistance 2).

The soundtrack is pretty good if you're a Hitoshi Sakimoto fan. For me, it's almost worth it just for the main theme, which is currently tearing up my last.fm charts. I'm trying hard not to listen to the rest of it too much so it's still fresh when the game comes out.

And yeah, the artwork is really nice. There's an image on the back of the case that I was squinting at to try to tell whether or not it was an in-game shot. Pretty sure it's not, but it goes to show how great a job they've done with the visuals.

Good new for those who prefer Japanese voices - The game will include the option of choosing between Japanese and English.

[quote name='Siliconera']Sega sent over a friendly reminder that Valkyria Chronicles has an official release date. We’ll get a chance to pick up in English on November 11. I spoke with Christopher Kaminski, Associate Producer of Valkyria Chronicles, to find out if the downloadble content recently released in Japan would find its way to North America. He replied with, “No comment yet.” Kaminski confirmed the content will not be on the retail disc though when he answered my follow up question with, “No, that content won’t be on the disc.” Valkyria Chronicles won’t have any localization differences either. “We translated it directly. We wanted to stay true to the original. As a matter of fact we keep the original Japanese in there.”[/quote]

There seems to be a lot of positive press surrounding this game. I hope it does well, because it certainly looks like it deserves both critical and financial success.

I'm crossing my fingers for a demo so more people have a chance to try it out and hopefully convert some sales.

[quote name='Blackout542']I'm pumped. First PS3 RPG I get to play (God, that's sad).[/QUOTE]I already played Folklore (love it) and I'll be getting Disgaea 3. RPGs take a while to come though regardless of platform.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I already played Folklore (love it) and I'll be getting Disgaea 3. RPGs take a while to come though regardless of platform.[/quote]

Yeah I know. Feels like forever though. I'm not a big Disgaea fan (I might pick it up though) and I haven't played Folklore yet.

At least the PS2 has enough RPGS to hold most people over. P3:FES (through Hdmi)looks about the same or only slightly worse than what I have seen from Disgaea 3.

Really looking forward to Valkyria though.

[quote name='Blackout542']Yeah I know. Feels like forever though. I'm not a big Disgaea fan (I might pick it up though) and I haven't played Folklore yet.[/QUOTE]And the other big issue is (which is very true), in order for most good budget RPGs (like Valkyria Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Verspiria, etc.) to break even on a next gen console, they have to sell 500k copies total worldwide. So far, Valkyria has only sold around 120k in Japan, meaning it must sell another 380k to break even. Eternal Sonata on 360 only sold half of what it needed to, to break even. That's why most JRPGs will still stick to PS2 at the moment (since they can do fine just selling 100k to 200k copies on it). Due to Disgaea being low budget, it doesn't have to sell anywhere near as much to break even. I do see PS3 getting some lower budget RPGs in the future (like I do see Gust RPGs ending up on PS3 since they've been looking for PS3 programmers), but high budget exclusive ones will be rare (and it also doesn't help PS3 is 2nd in Japan. The console with the highest userbase in Japan the last 4 generations gets all the RPGs, no doubt).
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I wouldn't really count Folklore as a RPG. I love that game though.[/QUOTE]
Mostly all RPG sites reviewing it along with SCEA having it in an RPG folder in at the PS Store makes me think it is. You still gain level ups like a traditional RPG. What may hurt it is not buying equipment, but then again, Xenosaga Episode II didn't have it either.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Mostly all RPG sites reviewing it along with SCEA having it in an RPG folder in at the PS Store makes me think it is. You still gain level ups like a traditional RPG. What may hurt it is not buying equipment, but then again, Xenosaga Episode II didn't have it either.[/QUOTE]

I'd call Folklore an action game with RPG elements myself.

In any case, it's an awesome game.

PSBlog says there's going to be a pre-release demo event at the Metreon in San Francisco this Friday, with an appearance by the game's producer and some free stuff. It's nearby but I don't think I'm going. They do say there will be a demo released next month though, which is cool news.

I'm flying out to San Jose this Friday. Looks like I'll be able to make it! The new trailer looks great also. Can't wait to play it.

Yeah, I saw the news. Looks like we might get a PSN demo next month based on the way I read it. At first I almost thought, there was going to be a demo on PSN this week (which would have made this the most killer update ever, lol).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, I saw the news. Looks like we might get a PSN demo next month based on the way I read it. At first I almost thought, there was going to be a demo on PSN this week (which would have made this the most killer update ever, lol).[/QUOTE]

QFT. I sincerely hope a demo is released to drum up more support and sales. It's such a niche title that I fear that only those who have been keeping up with this are going to pick it up.

Why do all the big gaming parties happen on the West Coast? Seriously - where's the East Coast lovin'?

bread's done
Back