Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Dahk']I just finished Borderlands and I have Valkyria Chronicles just sitting in my backlog. I was trying to wait for some sort of Trophy patch but it really looks like thats not happening. Im dying to play a game with a great story and I've heard excellent things about this one.

Think I can finish it before Heavy Rain comes out?[/QUOTE]

Took me ~35-40 hours to beat the game (but I maxed out my characters, which involved a bit of level grinding). Casual/quick run through should take ~25 hours.

But Valkyria is a game meant to be enjoyed and savored -- like really expensive wine and cheese, not an "All You Can Eat Buffet" with 10 minutes before closing time.

Didn't see this mentioned here yet.

All the DLC for VC has been released as a bundle called "Love Conquers All" for 9.99. That's a 5$ savings. Worth it if you haven't checked it out yet.

Sega still doesn't get it. You would think they would come out with Trophies after everybody and their mother online complained about it. Sega should just come out with a DLC pack with Trophies for 2-3 dollars or 6 combined. Make a GOTY edition with that included to sell copies. It's sad to think because there is a decent amount of money to be made. Just copy what Naughty Dog is doing with Uncharted 2.

I've said it once and I'll say it again:

If they add Trophy support, I'll buy another copy of it. I still have a copy sitting on my shelf, too.

1. Naughty Dog is coming out with a 3 and 4 dollar DLC or 6 combined that adds more Trophies to Uncharted 2 later this month.

2. If you like or not, Trophies keep people to own the game instead of selling it off. It also gets people to purchase the game. You look around on this board and others a good number of people held off on buying the game until Trophy support was included.

3. Sega could make a nice sum of money by coming out with a DLC Trophy Support. Throw in a couple of new maps, a new playable character or two, a couple of new enemies, weapons, etc and throw on a $6 dollar price tag.

It's sad that people are begging Sega to come out with it and are willing to open their wallets for it. I do understand that some people think that the Trophy support should be free. I also understand that Sega is done with the game and it would cost money/time to develop. I would have no problems paying the price of a Happy Meal for Sega to do this. It would also be them showing a sign of good faith to their fans.

Cool. I've been looking for another excuse to play more VC. Sign me up for 6 more missions.

[quote name='pram12']I wish they would have a bundle for all the DLC... I missed out on both sales (the New Year one and the Valentines one) :([/QUOTE]

A new version release would be nice, but they would have to add trophy support to do it. Back in September they hinted about adding this, and a new version with all the DLC included would actually make me want to buy another copy.

Anyone else pick this up the new DLC yet? Word of advice - if you're like me and haven't played in awhile, double check your squad's setup and equipment. Don't be like me and enter a tank fight with a lancer who has a mortar equipped.

As for the missions themselves, seems each one has a trick or two behind it. In the scout mission, it was
the enemy hiding behind a rock at the very very end
and in the sniper mission, it was
the random Ace that's hidden behind your base who caps it whenever you're off trying to take out the other guys

Alright so I just started playing again as I never did beat the game. I'm on the mission where I need to defeat Jaeger in order to cross a bridge. There are like 4 or 5 enemy camps that he can apparently heal at.

Any tips? I just don't feel like firing the game up just to start the mission; get several turns in just to be obliterated by some bad guy that surprises me. And what the fuck is up with the armor around the back of his engine?! BULL SHIT!

And my snipers have become useless! It'll take three shots to a guys dome to kill him! WTF?! And I have a current Rifle given to me by the princess, queen, whatever.

Have Shamrock setup with flamethrower. Alicia, Rosie, Largo, another Scout or two to start with.

First send the Shamrock to the middle camp and try to take out all 3 enemies at once. If you can't reach the trooper with the flamethrower, at least get the cannon and the scout leader. Make sure the radiator is pointed away from everyone to the north and west. This will take 2 actions.

Then send the Edelweiss straight ahead (due west on the map) and stop once you get a clear shot at the cannon on the roof and destroy it. Then use a second action and run over the shocktroopers at the camp and pull around to the rear of the heavy tank and blow it up in one shot. Be careful about radiator exposure.

Spend your last 2 CP for turn 1 by sending a Scout to capture the base where the Shamrock is and to call an Engineer there.

Jaeger's tank will always fire a smoke grenade each turn over a camp, then eventually over the hiding spot for Ty The Immortal (don't worry he never leaves his hiding spot.) Any grenade or mortar will disapate the smoke around an area just like with yours.

For turn 2 send a Scout, usually Alicia, to take over the base where the Edelweiss ended turn 1 and also go up on the roof of the building and kill the Lancer/Sniper up there. Start preparing to send the Shamrock and other troops to take out the base to the south. You might want to start sending Largo into the side streets down there ASAP so he can just pop out and kill the Heavy Tank that will start coming across to your base on turns 2/3.

Next work on clearing out the northwestern camp while avoiding the Lupis and killing the Heavy Tank. Don't forget the building where Alicia took out the sniper and lancer has a ladder on the back side that lets you come up from behind into that camp.

Once you have all 4 camps Jaegar can't heal damage to his tank. Retreat and recall lancers to the camps in the middle and northwest, have an Engineer ready, and go to town. It will take about 12 hits to knock the armor off, then two shots to the exposed radiator.

It you want to kill Ty and get his machine gun, send a few scouts from the southwestern base once you have all 4 bases, each one using grenades to get him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another piece of advice. You will want the snipers at level 15 before you do chapter 18, the final one, so you have the Penetrate order. This makes the end game MUCH easier.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Awesome info; I'll definitely check that out here soon![/QUOTE]

Thank the Prima Official Guide. :) It's a really good one. Couldn't have beaten the game without it.

Also it's too late now, but the sniper rifles from the sniper aces are really good for power, especially the 4th and 5th one. If you lack firepower from the snipers, then you need to spend the money on the power branch of the sniper rifle tree once you get to that point.

Thanks a ton for the info. I equipped my sniper with one from an ace, didn't get a chance to use but we'll see what's up.

Those first two turns really set me up for success, once you take care of those two bases everything else kinda falls into place.

I finally beat it...
The final mission was pretty easy. It was frustrating though with the tower in the very back sometimes requiring just 1 sniper shot, but requiring 30+ at other times. WTF?

I didn't understand why exactly Faldio found it necessary to kill himself along with Maximilian...why didn't he just push him in or throw him in; I know he felt bad for what he did, but it was still kinda silly.

Over all this game was fantastic. The story and characters were exceptional considering it was a Japanese game.

The combination of the 2nd game being on the PSP and not having the same characters really disappointments me though. I'll pick it up when it becomes budget priced.

Is the DLC for the game worth looking into?

Hoping for a PS3 sequel too. Just finished Valkyria Chronicles last month and started playing the second one.

I can't even fathom what VC3 will be like. It makes me want to beat the game but I think I can wait for the TGS announcement.

[quote name='Jodou']It should be; really hate when direct sequels are put on portable systems.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I was just happy to see a sequel. I didn't expect Sega to ever release another Valkyria Chronicles game (especially in the United States), but with the success of the anime in Japan and the PSP sequel, hopefully that will be reason enough to bring it back to the PS3.

Even though I'm enjoying VC2, (IMO) the PSP hardware is too limited to do the series justice.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Honestly, I was just happy to see a sequel. I didn't expect Sega to ever release another Valkyria Chronicles game (especially in the United States), but with the success of the anime in Japan and the PSP sequel, hopefully that will be reason enough to bring it back to the PS3.

Even though I'm enjoying VC2, (IMO) the PSP hardware is too limited to do the series justice.[/QUOTE]

The PSP and DS are too limited to do most games justice. Especially games that started out on home consoles.

Other examples being Metal Gear Solid and Kingdom Hearts. Although Birth By Sleep seems to be an exception. The way it maps multiple special attacks to triangle and gives you a list to scroll through is definitely a gimp though.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Did anyone get a chance to check out the Valkyria art book from Japan?

An English version has shown up on Amazon and Im trying to gauge if its worth $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Valkyria-Chro...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295806766&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

I have it preordered. Amazon shows a delivery date for this of Feb 14-18 for me, but I use FSSS, so my delivery dates may reflect that.

I love the look of the game soo much that this book was a nobrainer for me.

The book is totally worth it, if it's the same version from Japan. I paid about $60 to import the JP version a year ago.

It's huge, and everything from the artwork to the quality of the book itself is really well done.

bread's done
Back