Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

Thanks. Found another in higher resolution:

vc2-noscale.jpg

Looks to me like it's school-related. Mayhaps it's moving in a Persona 3/4 direction?

If anyone is near California or going to San Diego Comic-con, we're going to be sponsoring some Valkyria Chronicles cosplay!

I've got some rare Valkyria Figurines and the last few copies of the pre-order Art books to give out - pictures and details here!

You guys here at CAG have always been a really awesome community to chat with, and your support of Valkyria does not go unnoticed. ;) Hope to see some of you there!

[quote name='RubyEclipse']If anyone is near California or going to San Diego Comic-con, we're going to be sponsoring some Valkyria Chronicles cosplay!

I've got some rare Valkyria Figurines and the last few copies of the pre-order Art books to give out - pictures and details here!

You guys here at CAG have always been a really awesome community to chat with, and your support of Valkyria does not go unnoticed. ;) Hope to see some of you there![/QUOTE]

Bah for all your support going to the West Coast. Come to DC and we East Coast CAGers will treat you right. ;)

Hope you drop by every so often. Maybe drop some scoops on Valkyria Chronicles 2 and some more goodies...? :pray:

So Sony finds a franchise that's worth a damn on the PS3 and then they push it to another console? WTF?

I wish they would just keep the game on the PS3. My bro even has a PSP but I just have no interest in playing this game on a hand held; I hate hand helds!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']So Sony finds a franchise that's worth a damn on the PS3 and then they push it to another console? WTF?

I wish they would just keep the game on the PS3. My bro even has a PSP but I just have no interest in playing this game on a hand held; I hate hand helds![/QUOTE]

Right, because Sony really has sole decision authority about what platform another company releases a game on. :roll:

Sega made the decision to release it on the PSP given its large success in Japan, so they likely made a tactical decision: PSP Based Revenues > PS3 Based Revenues.

If the game sells well then I'd suspect Sega do the third episode on the PS3. Building brand recognition is critically important in this age of high-development cost games.

And the PSP needs games to sell the system outside Japan. I am going to guess that the fervent loyalty of this game will compel fans to actually buy a PSP. Win-Win for both Sega and Sony.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Right, because Sony really has sole decision authority about what platform another company releases a game on. :roll:

Sega made the decision to release it on the PSP given its large success in Japan, so they likely made a tactical decision: PSP Based Revenues > PS3 Based Revenues.

If the game sells well then I'd suspect Sega do the third episode on the PS3. Building brand recognition is critically important in this age of high-development cost games.

And the PSP needs games to sell the system outside Japan. I am going to guess that the fervent loyalty of this game will compel fans to actually buy a PSP. Win-Win for both Sega and Sony.[/QUOTE]

Oh so your saying there was nothing sony could do to get this on the console of their choice? I think Sony could have thrown money or something at Sega to sway them.

You think PSP needs to move units? I don't need to look at any sales charts to know that the PSP is doing better, and always has done better, than the PS3. So yeah, perhaps they should put games on the PS3 so that could move units.

No, they could've done more on PS3, but decided to go back and build the brand a bit on PSP in Japan. The PSP's problem is outside of Japan, every game is pirated to hell and back, thus sales are pretty terrible, but they definitely make their money back a lot quicker.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Oh so your saying there was nothing sony could do to get this on the console of their choice? I think Sony could have thrown money or something at Sega to sway them.

You think PSP needs to move units? I don't need to look at any sales charts to know that the PSP is doing better, and always has done better, than the PS3. So yeah, perhaps they should put games on the PS3 so that could move units.[/QUOTE]

It's been Sony's policy for the entire generation to not pay 3rd parties for exclusives in lieu of heavy investment in 1st party development. Sony just stuck to their strategy and will invest that money in a Gran Turismo, God of War X, or new IP. Whether or not it's a good investment strategy will not be known for quite some time and not worth debating here.

People who want to play Valkyria Chronicles either already have it, or are likely waiting for a PS3 price drop to buy a system. As a result, and thus likely counter-intuitive, I believe that Valkyria Chronicles 2 on the PS3 would not be a system seller outright -- more like another feather in the system's cap.

Therefore, it is my contention that Valkyria Chronicles on the PSP will actually be a system seller as many fans in America do not have a PSP and thus will need to pick one up if they want to continue the saga.

KingBroly also made a good point, that the risk is lower due to lower development costs and thus a potentially faster rate of return.

Are some fans upset that VC2 will not be on the PS3? Absolutely. But for me personally, it re-affirms my decision to buy a PSP by the end of the year on the strength of MGS: Peace Walker, Patapon 2, and a few other titles.

Got 2 or 3 chapters to go in this awesome game. I really don't mind the sequel being on the psp but I do hope to see a 3rd back on the ps3. I knew the psp was going to have a lot of good games in the future but I really can't believe how many AAA titles are going to be coming out for it in the near future.

I think the decision to make a PSP Valkyria game in Japan was (as the interviews mention) largely to try and raise awareness of the brand and reach out to a wider potential group of people. PSP is crazy popular over there, and given SEGA's success with Phantasy Star Portable in Japan recently, it definitely makes sense.

I'm amazed people are upset about the sequel being on PSP. I think it is outstanding. A portable version of one of the best SRPGs I've ever played is entirely positive.
And it is nice that there is an upcoming PSP title I'm excited about that isn't a port or remake (though I am ENTIRELY excited about Lunar: Silver Star Harmony).

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Which pack would you guys say has the best value? I haven't bought any of the DLC yet.[/QUOTE]

Best value would be the Selvaria missions, IMO. You get four levels to play.

The Edy detachment is one mission with multiple endings based on rank.

The third DLC adds a mode of difficulty to the skirmishes.

[quote name='SynGamer']Just bought this at Walmart tonight/this morning for $19.96...it's unfortunate that there still aren't any trophies for this game :([/QUOTE]

Yeah. Geez. I am going to play this game no matter what, but I would start tomorrow if they released a trophy patch.

I just got a PS3 slim and I picked this up along with Disgaea 3 and GT5 Prologue. I havent started it yet, but I plan to boot it up this weekend.

I fell in love with the art style the moment I first saw it, and as I love srpg's, this was on my list of games to get when I finally got a PS3.

It's fun, the only thing is that this game is annoying sometimes. Like when you make the wrong split-second move, and end up paying for it via 5 minutes of unskippable enemy moves and reloading screens.

[quote name='SDC']http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176124

Go to the Playstation Blog and comment, friends. I know some dislike trophies, or that people would play the game mainly for them, but the more people playing this the better.[/QUOTE]

AWESOME. Good post. Yes, if trophies were added I could see the game bringing in new people. Definitely needs the biggest audience possible. :applause:

EDIT - Added my post.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/09/valkyria-chronicles-ii-coming-to-psp-next-summer/

I just recently got this game. I'm thinking of holding off on playing it (massive backlog on my end) in case they add trophies.

[quote name='Dahk']I just recently got this game. I'm thinking of holding off on playing it (massive backlog on my end) in case they add trophies.[/QUOTE]

That's what I am doing... :lol:

Make sure to post on the link there in the comments, if you haven't already.

[quote name='Saint Noir']That's what I am doing... :lol:

Make sure to post on the link there in the comments, if you haven't already.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I see no reason to NOT add trophies, considering it really shouldn't take too long to implement.

Sorry if it was already mentioned (I do see the few posts above about it) but as far as DLC goes, I love variety but dk if Edy's Sidestory seems worth it. Could someone tell me the difficulty/length of the stage? kinda, where it belongs in the entire story? That way it can help me gauge if I'll get my money-dollars worth. I'm hoping even for one mission that it's a huge (er at least challenging) stage.

TIA

^^^ the thread is 67 pages, the info's gotta be on here somewhere. Or try gamefaqs.com's board. Sure there's tons of info over there.

Not trying to be a dick, just pointing you in the right direction in case no one answers promptly. Cause personally, I don't know.

I figured the answer might be in here but eventho I have 100 posts per page it's still a lot of pages to go thru. I couldn't bare to sift thru all that. Now if there was a way to search by content (ie: phrases, words) inside certain threads then I proly wouldn't mind looking.

And naw, I understand. Not a noob to forum thing. But thx for the heads up on gamefaqs.com. I'll check that out if I don't get a response here.

[quote name='uhoh_evo']Now if there was a way to search by content (ie: phrases, words) inside certain threads then I proly wouldn't mind looking.
[/QUOTE]

FYI the "Search this thread" dropdown is at the top right of every thread on CAG.

Edy's side story is a very entertaining bit. It's well worth the $5, considering it has four endings. It's a difficult map until you develop a good rhythm to it.

As far as when it occurs in the game, I know they talk about it but I don't think they ever pin down an exact "between mission X and mission Y."

The character interaction is hilarious as well.

[quote name='Dahk']I just recently got this game. I'm thinking of holding off on playing it (massive backlog on my end) in case they add trophies.[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting on starting this game but its getting more difficult by the day. Only reason I can afford to wait is due to my rather extensive backlog (thanks CAG! :) ) I am really craving an RPG though and have heard nothing but excellent reviews for this game.

Any word on trophies? I want them :bomb:

[quote name='Dahk']I'm still waiting on starting this game but its getting more difficult by the day. Only reason I can afford to wait is due to my rather extensive backlog (thanks CAG! :) ) I am really craving an RPG though and have heard nothing but excellent reviews for this game.

Any word on trophies? I want them :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Supposedly we may get a trophies patch next year after VC2 ships on the PSP. But that's next year.

I think it looks doubtful, which is unfortunate. I'm not giving up completely, but yeah... game turns 1 year old (NA release) next week. Give it a good birthday gift, Sega! ;)

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Bradygames guide?
Amazon has it listed at like $90, but on eBay it is still $10-20.
Utterly baffling.

So, if you complete the game and then they patch tropies in, do you get all the trophies when you load up the game. From what a few of you are saying, it seems like you'd have to play the whole thing again to earn the trophies (I hope that is not the case).

I got the game for $20 new when GS had it, and I was thinking of starting it soon...

[quote name='jh6269']So, if you complete the game and then they patch tropies in, do you get all the trophies when you load up the game. From what a few of you are saying, it seems like you'd have to play the whole thing again to earn the trophies (I hope that is not the case).

I got the game for $20 new when GS had it, and I was thinking of starting it soon...[/QUOTE]

From what I gather, different games have done it different ways. Uncharted, one of the first games to receive a trophy patch, forced you to start with a new save. Disgaea 3 was patched for trophies a while back, and you can use your old save but I think you still need to perform the actions to get the trophies. Warhawk, when it got patched, automatically awarded what trophies it could from your stats, but needed you to perform others to confirm that you had done them. Or some such (I haven't actually played Warhawk or Disgaea).

bread's done
Back