Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='KingBroly']Am I the only one who's put 1 and 1 together here when it comes to Ruby?[/quote]

Haven't put any thought into it. Too busy playing Valkyria.

[quote name='KingBroly']Am I the only one who's put 1 and 1 together here when it comes to Ruby?[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the fact that he/she/it is a Sega employee? What was your first clue?

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Also, hey everyone. :) I am actually one of our community managers over at SEGA,[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the year awards... didnt Valkyrie release last year or is it for last year?[/quote]

The awards are for 2008.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']k makes sense then[/quote]

I kept trying to figure out why Street Fighter IV would be a game that I am currently hyped for its release. It took a minute or two to figure that out. ;)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']K um... I'm not stuck but just kinda bewildered on what to do...

on Chapter 13 (or 14...? the one where Alicia starts off walking around killing things for the first time as a Valkyrie)... how the hell do you get through the unlimited amount of enemy troops that swarm and block me from getting to the boss tanks???

so far I've got all my classes to elite (except sniper), with shocktroopers as my priority and scouts as my secondary.

Just getting back into playing this since I had too many other games to play.[/quote]

I pretty much did what pete did. Took some trial and error to find the best way for me to do things lol. I don't remember exactly, but

moved Shamrock down to behind the tank spawn point, using multiple CP if need be. Taking out that first tank was pretty much my top priority. Worked the Edelweiss up with a couple shocktroopers and scouts and tucked them away in the ditches to catch any enemies trying to run up from the south (easy pickins if you stay in the ditch). Once the southern tank was out, basically moved everybody up while covering the rear from the additional spawns with the Shamrock (drive backwards lol).

damnit i need to get this game back from my friend so i can check out the dlc.

Just beat the stupid train mission. I can see why people were pissed off about it, but I didn't have too many problems. Love this game ...

What kind of length/difficulty can I expect from the Behind Her Blue Flame DLC? I like the game, but I don't really want to do any more 2-hour missions. Nor do I want too much frustration.

BHBF is 4 missions, 3 of which you have to unlock. The 2nd mission/3rd mission unlock depending on what you do in the first mission. Mission 1 can take...30-45 minutes depending on what you want to do, Mission 2 can take longer, Mission 3...probably about the same.

Mission 4 is basically the reward Mission for getting A on everything else. If you want an A-rank though, you're going to have to do a lot of saving/reloading because your troops accuracy is terrible.

Also keep in mind that to play the second mission, you have to do the first mission over again, so...yeah, it'd probably be a good idea to go for A rank on mission 1 the first time out.

You can make separate save files for them, but every time you want to save during a Mission the game will tell you that overwriting a main story save will overwrite your story data.

[quote name='RudyPants']Just beat the stupid train mission. I can see why people were pissed off about it, but I didn't have too many problems. Love this game ...[/quote]
It's weird, but I got lucky with that one and A ranked it on the first try - not many problems on this end either. The last flag throws you for a loop until you figure out the easy way in. :)

Edit: Also, I have a Valkyria Chronicles Artbook on me right now - anyone want it? First person to reply with "Moink!" gets it.

Congrats on getting the artbook, metaly!

Just a few minutes late -- but at least RubyEclipse did the "contest" after work hours so I got no one else to blame. But what the heck...

MOINK!

I just started the Behind Her Blue Flame, last night. The first mission took me 3 attempts and I got a "B" rank. But then the second mission kicked my can. After 4 tries of Johann getting slugged, I called it a night. So far, it's certainly fun and a challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my copy of "On the Gallian Front." :)

I just now got a chance to read through it and it took me by surprise that it's sort of part artbook, part guidebook with a bunch of info on the cast and setting. Although I think I had read most of it in the in-game bios and glossary, the presentation as a book is creative and exquisitely done.

My favorite part though was the section of (painfully brief) developer interviews at the end, particularly with world designer Daisuke Tabayashi and character designer Raita Honjoh explaining some of their thought process. Very fascinating since I've always wanted to do art for a game with a similar setting. I'm going to look up more interviews with them when I get a chance.

Thanks again, RubyEclipse and SEGA!

just beat it...

wow. what a great story. I love the entire cast... sad and nice ending... wish faldio were still alive though to be honest... though I was super happy to see Largo get married to the general.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']just beat it...

wow. what a great story. I love the entire cast... sad and nice ending... wish faldio were still alive though to be honest... though I was super happy to see Largo get married to the general.
[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see a sequel that shows Faldio and the Emperor did not just die but were somehow merged by the massive amount of rangriz energy. Then, he/they could using the Empires Navy attack the Federation and somehow drag our favorite Gallians back into defending their country after only a few short years of rebuilding. Small gunboats and amphibious assaults!
:)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']damn... on very last mission... that guy is beastly![/QUOTE]

Here's what I want to know...
How did Welkin and Zaka get their tanks up on the deck? You ask me, Zaka and Welkin should've just gone on foot that round. It's not like tanks are all that useful in that fight anyway

Personally, I wouldn't mind a sequel/dlc pack that focuses on the first war, with Varrot and Largo back as militia-people. I'd also like to see a few more vehicles. The tanks were nice, but become more useless as you learn more and more potentials. For example, a combat motercycle w/passenger car for moving a slow unit farther.

Their tanks are mechs ;) there's ur answer.

Also, if they do a sequel, I don't see it involving any of the characters from this game at all (except welkin). Why? Sequel will actually be a prequel covering the war stories of Welkin's adopted dad. ie. The First Europa War.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Also, if they do a sequel, I don't see it involving any of the characters from this game at all (except welkin). Why? Sequel will actually be a prequel covering the war stories of Welkin's adopted dad. ie. The First Europa War.[/QUOTE]
Huh?
1 - Largo and Varrot were in that war.
2 - Salamando3000 just said they were in that war.
3 - Welkin would be a child. Why would they bother?
4 - Welkin wasn't adopted.

It took me a while (8 or 9 tries) but I finally completed the required BHBF DLC missions so I can play as the Valkyria. I don't save very often so I got a bit frustrated.
I’d either miss with the sniper, the tank, or run out of movement just in front of Damon. That bastard.
I'll play Selvaria's last mission tonight. Let's hope she kicks some Gallian ass. Definitely worth the 5 bucks for anyone not playing it just yet.

Wow. I just finished the game this afternoon - one of the most memorable stories I've played through in a long time.

I can't remember the last JRPG that made me feel so attached to the characters.

I agree with others about the final battle. That's definitely strange how their tanks got up on the Marmota.

I actually had a little tear in my eye when Alicia and Welkin's daughter came out after they called her. Very sweet.

I need to reiterate how awesome this game is. I'm on my third time through the campaign, but have yet to finish the DLC packs. I've finished Selvaria's missions and am now trying to A-rank alternate mission 2. Once I've done that, I'll try to get through Edy's missions.

Great stuff!

[quote name='Invin']Already voted again the other day. I was surprised to see it didn't make it for best soundtrack.[/QUOTE]
Same, I was a little disappointed honestly. Even so, here's to hoping it can get the recognition it deserves in either PS3 or Ultimate game of the year.

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Double posting for what will probably be my most epic bump of this entire thread.

Valkyria Sales increase by over 400% in the month of April!

Click it, read it, rejoice. To all of you here at CAG who helped spread the word, create new stuff and even just posted here to talk about the game:

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations to everyone and their hard work advocating for this game -- it was definitely worth all the effort! :applause:

RubyEclipse -- Can you share with us the latest figures on how many copies have been in the US?

P. S. Please localize Yakuza 3! :pray:

bread's done
Back