Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

I don't know why you guys say EX Hard Mode is that hard? Are you guys not maxed out level wise or something?

EDIT: A rank on the Edy Detachment. EX Hard Mode training didn't go to waste...well wait...yes it did. It had nothing to do with this mission! Oh well, 3 more EX-Hard Mode Missions to go, as well as
the other 3 endings of Edy Detachment...and the Selvaria Missions...all I've done so far is the EX Hard Mode

EDIT 2: I just started the Selvaria Missions. Anyone find it odd that Selvaria was called sir?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']I don't know why you guys say EX Hard Mode is that hard? Are you guys not maxed out level wise or something?[/QUOTE]

My levels are all maxed out -- I'm getting killed in the cross fire from Attack of Bruhl and can't establish a beachhead. The other ones don't seem too difficult although I haven't put too much time in it.

Realizing that I can't do the "Alicia Bumrush" is such a totally different paradigm that I'm having a hard time adjusting. :cold:

So this morning I conquered most of the Selvaria missions. Those missions are kind of a pain, but the story parts do make up for it as they keep in the same mood as the game. Those Gallian troops...they sure know how to dodge. But I WISH I WISH I WISH once I unlocked the other missions I could just start them. Instead I have to beat the first mission again to get to the second one. It was very annoying to have to do that one twice. Forcing yourself to get a lower rank is hard.

Also, I know they somewhat implied this in the main game, but I REALLY think they're
saying that Selvaria and Alicia aren't just related Valkyria-wise.

After about 4 hours I finally beat the mission with the armored train. What is funny is everytime I would mess up I would just have Jann shoot my tank in its backend. Then everything goes into black and white with him/her looking like a dumbass hun.

[quote name='KingBroly']Also, I know they somewhat implied this in the main game, but I REALLY think they're
saying that Selvaria and Alicia aren't just related Valkyria-wise.
[/QUOTE]

But what's the connection between them besides their blood? Granted, Alicia is an orphan so her mother could be the same as Selvaria's but that's a pretty big stretch unless there's something else to back it up.

[quote name='Ecofreak']
But what's the connection between them besides their blood? Granted, Alicia is an orphan so her mother could be the same as Selvaria's but that's a pretty big stretch unless there's something else to back it up.
[/quote]

They both grew up in an unidentified orphanage. Although I don't remember what happened to Alicia's orphanage, the one Selvaria was at was burned to the ground or something like that. The fondness of cooking thing was also a bit odd.

[quote name='KingBroly']
They both grew up in an unidentified orphanage. Although I don't remember what happened to Alicia's orphanage, the one Selvaria was at was burned to the ground or something like that. The fondness of cooking thing was also a bit odd.
[/QUOTE]

What you you talking about? All women love to cook, just like they do cleaning and raising babies. I'll have to reject your point on account of absurdity.

[quote name='Ecofreak']
What you you talking about? All women love to cook, just like they do cleaning and raising babies. I'll have to reject your point on account of absurdity.
[/quote]

I didn't see Is cook or mention cooking throughout the entire game.

[quote name='KingBroly']
I didn't see Is cook or mention cooking throughout the entire game.
[/QUOTE]

Her had yet to reach the age when her motherly instinct would kick into overdrive. And there wasn't enough space on the Bluray disk to go into depth about how all the women of Squad 7, including Maria, loved to cook but just preferred to kill people more.

[quote name='Ecofreak']
Her had yet to reach the age when her motherly instinct would kick into overdrive. And there wasn't enough space on the Bluray disk to go into depth about how all the women of Squad 7, including Maria, loved to cook but just preferred to kill people more.
[/quote]

Back on subject here
you cannot deny that the Orphanage connection is a mere coincidence

[quote name='KingBroly']Back on subject here
you cannot deny that the Orphanage connection is a mere coincidence
[/QUOTE]

I think it's a pretty weak link at best, IMHO. The entire Valkyrie people were wiped out or disappeared if my memory servers me correctly, which would naturally lead to a bunch of orphans in orphanages. Much like the Darscens (sp?), just not in those labor camps.

This spoiler talked has scared away the children it seems. Let me rate the DLC.

Edy Detachment: 3/5
- I've only played it once, but the ending was really funny
I know it changes, so a couple more plays will be good

Behind Her Blue Flame: 5/5
- I haven't completed it completely yet, as I still have 1 Mission to do. The story is really good, although I wish more locales were used. Ruhm is an absolute beast of a weapon that is completely broken.

EX Hard Mode: 2/5
- The only reason to play this is to get the bonus weapons. I don't think they're all that hard, either since I don't use Orders that much anyway.

I feel that the first 2 are worth $5 each, but the jury is still out on EX Hard Mode for me. The first 2 you'll get about 3-4 hours out of a piece, maybe more (depending on how much you save). EX Hard Mode, yeah, you'll get more time out of it probably, but that's because there are 9 Skirmishes, but once you've done them once, you won't come back to them.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I plan on getting the first two after beating the game, but not the ex hard mode.[/QUOTE]

Edy Deatchment probably isn't worth it unless you really, really like the characters in it.

This game has made me realize how shitty of strategy gamer I've become over the years. I guess beating a level in any game on my first time has spoiled me - it definitely takes me a long ass time to beat a level in VC.

[quote name='RudyPants']This game has made me realize how shitty of strategy gamer I've become over the years. I guess beating a level in any game on my first time has spoiled me - it definitely takes me a long ass time to beat a level in VC.[/quote]
Just save often before you make big decisions otherwise it can suck big time if you have to start missions over like I did. Sometimes it would take an hour/hour and a half just to beat a chapter.

[quote name='sotc1988']Just save often before you make big decisions otherwise it can suck big time if you have to start missions over like I did. Sometimes it would take an hour/hour and a half just to beat a chapter.[/quote]

That's true. I actually didn't even realize that you could save mid-battle until last night (I'm about 13 hours in and on the eighth mission).

No wonder I was sucking it up. Thanks!

[quote name='RudyPants']This game has made me realize how shitty of strategy gamer I've become over the years. I guess beating a level in any game on my first time has spoiled me - it definitely takes me a long ass time to beat a level in VC.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same. Every level is around an hour, and i usually lose the first time, so i'm spending over 2 hours per level. I also don't save inbetween levels because once i lose the first time, i can usually "easily" win the second time cuz i've figured out the strategy.

I just finally beat level 11, and first-try beat level 12 (bum-rush ftw). Level 13, here i come :).

I'm committed to beat this damn game, i gave up on Lost Odyssey and Persona 4 at aroudn the last parts of the game, mostly cuz they just got too hard for me. I'd like to beat them all, but i'm starting with this game as i haven't hit a barrier (yet).

Update: Beat chapters 13 and 14, and all reports except four (one of which is still locked). I love this game now, i think starting at ch. 13, this game makes you love it.

It certainly is one of my all time favorite games. I've got over 75 hours on this game. After playing it though second time, I'm all "A" rank for Chapters, Reports and the first 3 Skirmishes. I hope to finish the last ones this weekend and then maybe I'll try one of the DLC.

VC Rocks!

[quote name='dmlopr']It certainly is one of my all time favorite games. I've got over 75 hours on this game. After playing it though second time, I'm all "A" rank for Chapters, Reports and the first 3 Skirmishes. I hope to finish the last ones this weekend and then maybe I'll try one of the DLC.

VC Rocks![/QUOTE]

You certainly got your moneys worth! :applause:

I just beat the ch 7 battle with the giant tank after 3 tries (thank god for mid battle saving). I lost one character forever, but that battle was so hard I'll take the loss.

I'm just happy some games can still offer a challenge in a good way.

[quote name='gamerpro4000']I heard there is going to be Valkyria Chronicles 2 coming out in the future. Is this true?[/quote]

Do not spread rumors about Valkyria Chronicles unless you can back it up. The producer wants to do a sequel. Far from a sequel being confirmed.

Valkyria Chronicles. Serious Business.

I feel like an idiot. I am on (what I presume to be) the final chapter. I only now just decided to visit the newspaper thing (under headquarters) and after randomly purchasing one of the stories, found out there are more battles and backstory. And here I was thinking I was almost done... doh!

With the exception of Flowers on the Battlefield, those will only take you about 90 minutes. Flowers on the Battlefield though...

[quote name='KingBroly']With the exception of Flowers on the Battlefield, those will only take you about 90 minutes. Flowers on the Battlefield though...[/quote]

Yeah, I've gotten through all but the last 2 (one being flowers in the battlefield). Got an A rank on all the ones with battles in them, so got some, otherwise unexpected, upgrades to my units and tanks. The story behind them is great too!
Nice to see Isara in some of the first few after she's been "gone" for so many chapters.

[quote name='KingBroly']Do not spread rumors about Valkyria Chronicles unless you can back it up. The producer wants to do a sequel. Far from a sequel being confirmed.

Valkyria Chronicles. Serious Business.[/quote]

Well my bad. But i know this for sure! There is an anime tv show series out already that is coherent to the story in the game.
onion_gifs_emoticons-08.gif

[quote name='gamerpro4000']Well my bad. But i know this for sure! There is an anime tv show series out already that is coherent to the story in the game.
onion_gifs_emoticons-08.gif
[/quote]

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mayhaps concurrent is what you are looking for? Really though, it's just a retelling of the storyline from the game. I haven't been following it and thus can not comment on how well it holds to the game's story.

[quote name='KingBroly']With the exception of Flowers on the Battlefield, those will only take you about 90 minutes. Flowers on the Battlefield though...[/quote]
I thought this was one easy. :) Finished it in about 5-6 turns on my second try, A-rank, etc. Tips below including my lineup:
Troops used:
(Required: Welkin, Rosie, Largo)
Additional: Oscar, Aika

First, I had Oscar snipe a couple shocktroopers on the right. I used Aika (scout) to charge the grass in the northwest part of the map, where the enemy scout, sniper, and lancer are at. I got lucky here as she dodged both a sniper shot and a lance, but once you take down the scout the other two go pretty easy. After this, you want to keep her around this position or facing north in front of the base, so she can hit the shocktroopers running in and make them stop.

Hide Largo in the grass just to the south of the road in the middle of the map. The tanks will usually drive in succession just past this point, and you can one-hit them once they do - just make sure to pull him back and hide him afterwards. At one point you may actually be able to one-hit kill the two final tanks in a single turn. (One on the road, the other going towards the south corner.)

Finally, use Rosie for the troops that come in on the right - upgrade the flamethrower and burn burn burn. :cool:

Finally, worth noting: I did not move the Edelweiss at all. It was a bit of luck, but keeping the lancers distracted/dead seems to be what makes this one easier.

[quote name='RubyEclipse']I thought this was one easy. :) Finished it in about 5-6 turns on my second try, A-rank, etc. Tips below including my lineup:[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, I know what to do on that one. But it's still hard to do because you have to get EVERYTHING RIGHT. 1 mistake and you're screwed.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yeah, yeah, I know what to do on that one. But it's still hard to do because you have to get EVERYTHING RIGHT. 1 mistake and you're screwed.[/quote]
Yeah, very true - it reminds me a bit of Edy's DLC in that sense.

Yeah, the mission wasn't too bad. I actually passed it on my first try (A rank), but I almost had to start over. I had Rosie and Largo rush the right side while a scout and my tank took the left (the tank was mainly for running over enemies hiding in the grass, so I could kill them with headshots). Lastly, I had Oscar run up the middle and snipe from the grass by the tree. Since I had Largo on the right side, I was able to take out all 3 tanks on the third turn after Rosie/Oscar eliminated the soldiers on that side.

I just completed Chapter 3 and I have a quick question. Do I ever get a chance at repeating battles in the story mode to improve my grades? I'm a newb so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing and I noticed people have said they've complete all battles while getting A's every time.

[quote name='FrankySox']I just completed Chapter 3 and I have a quick question. Do I ever get a chance at repeating battles in the story mode to improve my grades? I'm a newb so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing and I noticed people have said they've complete all battles while getting A's every time.[/quote]

Once you complete the game once, you get a "clear" save. You can then start a new game + type of deal, where all your levels and gear/weapons/tank parts carry over, can skip cutscenes much faster, and replay any mission (as well as unlocking a Statistics tab, a music tab, one last Ellet report, and Hard mode skirmishes).

First playthrough though, don't worry about your ranking too much. Especially that early on. Some of those missions weren't meant to be A-Ranked first time through. The only time A-Ranks are truly advantageous is towards the end (as in, last 3 or so battles) since they start rewarding
The highest level of Royal/Queens weapons, which are fairly uber (at least for Snipers and Lancers...Scouts/Shocktroopers are debatable

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Yeah, very true - it reminds me a bit of Edy's DLC in that sense.[/quote]

The good thing though is that after that mission you unlock (or seemingly increase your chances infinitely of getting) Mortar Support Fire :D

K um... I'm not stuck but just kinda bewildered on what to do...

on Chapter 13 (or 14...? the one where Alicia starts off walking around killing things for the first time as a Valkyrie)... how the hell do you get through the unlimited amount of enemy troops that swarm and block me from getting to the boss tanks???

so far I've got all my classes to elite (except sniper), with shocktroopers as my priority and scouts as my secondary.

Just getting back into playing this since I had too many other games to play.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
on Chapter 13 (or 14...? the one where Alicia starts off walking around killing things for the first time as a Valkyrie)... how the hell do you get through the unlimited amount of enemy troops that swarm and block me from getting to the boss tanks???
[/QUOTE]

Cheap way is to move lancers behind where the tanks will spawn and then kill them after triggering it.

Just this weekend, I completed the "A" ranks to get the Rangriz Crest Of Honor. Only two medals to go, then onto the DLC. :D

hypertek, you won't be disappointed. It's a very cool game and easy to get hooked on..

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']K um... I'm not stuck but just kinda bewildered on what to do...

[/QUOTE]

I rolled the Shamrock down to the south to shoot the southern tank right in the weak spot, and accept that the Shamrock probably won't survive the encounter. Then I just made sure there were 2 shocktroopers facing south, away from the base in the center, to keep any of the reinforcements from the south from taking the base.

So, I just finished ch. 16, and I have a question:

Will there be another annoying boss fight like the one against Selvaria? Where they dodge everything and heal every turn? I sure hope not.

Hey everyone,

I have a new mission for you. Sort of.

You don't have to, but Valkyria Chronicles is up for some awards in the 27th Annual Golden Joystick Awards, and needs your vote! It has been nominated for PS3 Game of the year, Family Game of the year, OST (Soundtrack) of the year, and Ultimate Game of the year.

You can vote for Valkyria here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/joystick/vote.php

I'm spreading this out to all the Valkyria fans I can find, here's hoping we can further the attention this game deserves with some shiny trophies. :)

bread's done
Back