Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

I would like to say thank you as well. I watched a review for this game over at gametrailers and just thought it would be one of those games I wouldn't enjoy. After I saw it go down to 30 at Gamestop and coming in here and reading all of the glowing comments about the game I decided to give it a try and I love it. I've still only advanced to Chapter 9 but I definitely play it every chance I can get. Anyone who hasn't picked this up should definitely give it a try.

I'm very happy that this game is finally selling more and more copies. This game was very memorable to me from the story, to the artwork and characters. I'm hoping there will more content to download for this or maybe another valk game.

In celebration of the recent success, a little freebie for you guys here at CAG. :)

First person to post the name of their favorite VC character wins a free (and shiny) download code, good for any single Valkyria DLC pack!

Congrats Nitwit! PM me with the DLC pack you'd like a code for.

There's no official word currently about more DLC Zander, but I am always pushing for more cool stuff on my end. :)

I already bought all 3 DLC packs day 1, but it would've been cool to get it for my brother (who I convinced to buy it). I hope we get Trophy Support, because I'd play through it again for Trophies...and I'd get a Platinum on it, too.

i'm on the edge about picking up this game. did anyone not enjoy it? i haven't enjoyed a JRPG since FF VI. i didn't like VII, IX, X, XII though i did finish them. i enjoy turn based strategy games like advance wars and RTS games like starcraft. seems like everyone loves this game.

I didn't particularly enjoy it. I wanted to enjoy it. I still break it out every once in awhile thinking "Well, maybe now I will enjoy it." But, alas, I can't bring myself to finish it.

[quote name='jarvis307']i'm on the edge about picking up this game. did anyone not enjoy it? i haven't enjoyed a JRPG since FF VI. i didn't like VII, IX, X, XII though i did finish them. i enjoy turn based strategy games like advance wars and RTS games like starcraft. seems like everyone loves this game.[/QUOTE]

Valkyria Chronicles isn't really a JRPG. It does have some RPG elements (leveling up, etc), but is more of an turn-based strategy/first-person shooter hybrid.

Also, the story is phenomenal.

[quote name='thelonepig']Valkyria Chronicles isn't really a JRPG. It does have some RPG elements (leveling up, etc), but is more of an turn-based strategy/first-person shooter hybrid.

Also, the story is phenomenal.[/QUOTE]

Are you seriously saying that Valkyria Chronicles is in no way a JRPG(Japanese Role Playing Game)?:whistle2:#

:hot: Last time I checked classification only dealt with where the game is/was made and not how the battle system works.

Inform me please if i'm wrong.....:drool:

[quote name='viksmart']Are you seriously saying that Valkyria Chronicles is in no way a JRPG(Japanese Role Playing Game)?:whistle2:#

:hot: Last time I checked classification only dealt with where the game is/was made and not how the battle system works.

Inform me please if i'm wrong.....:drool:[/QUOTE]

You're wrong.

[quote name='viksmart']Are you seriously saying that Valkyria Chronicles is in no way a JRPG(Japanese Role Playing Game)?:whistle2:#

Inform me please if i'm wrong.....:drool:[/QUOTE]

It's from Japan, sure. It has role playing elements but is not in the strictest set of terms a role playing game. Others may disagree, but it really plays more like a strategy first-person shooter.

I think it'd be neat if it were co-op against the CPU. If it player vs. player multiplayer, I don't think I'd like it too much, but I'd get it.

This doesn't seem like multiplayer at all. I'm imagining more of a standard Challenge mode, where we do missions/skirmishes with restrictions, such as "No snipers", "Kill everyone", "No orders", etc.

[quote name='jonlubbe']i would probably go real time strategy rpg shooter.. =)[/QUOTE]

You know what real time means, right? :D

I agree with the statement that VC is a "JRPG" but not in the pejorative sense that many use that term. Only in that it is an RPG from Japan. The game is pretty unique, which is part of its appeal.

[quote name='Salamando3000']This doesn't seem like multiplayer at all. I'm imagining more of a standard Challenge mode, where we do missions/skirmishes with restrictions, such as "No snipers", "Kill everyone", "No orders", etc.[/QUOTE]

If we could used leveled up characters, and were different from Skirmishes, I'd be all for it.
Especially if it involved Trophies ;)

Update to the new DLC:

[Update: The DLC is actually called 'Edie's Second Squad Challenge', and will feature a few more standard affair missions. Some of the early 2Ch.net posts called it the 'Battle Challenge' aspect, which is what led us to believe it may be an online component.]

[quote name='metaly']I still don't understand how people read "battle challenge" and immediately interpreted it as online multiplayer.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same thing.

In any case, this is cool news - we'll have to wait on official word about whether or not this is coming to the states / Europe next.

Okay, so this Battle Challenge DLC, as I can read it:

You have a Specific Mission for each Class Type, and it comes out next week in Japan for 300 yen. You have...

Sniper Challenge - Target practice?
Scout Challenge - Sneak into the enemy base without being detected
Lancer Challenge - No clue
Shocktrooper Challenge - No clue
Engineer Challenge - You have to repair tanks while getting pelleted
Edelweiss Challenge - No clue

I was playing Valkyria Chronicles earlier today when my wife announced she was curious as to the state of Valkyria Chronicles fanfiction. She came across the following story, which I haven't read, but I have to share the summary. Classic fanfiction.

EX Report: The Silent Hill Incident by Dr. Evil
When eight members of Squad 7 are sent to investigate an abandoned town called Silent Hill, what they will discover will be far worse than anything the war has shown them so far...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5082805/1/Ex_Report_The_Silent_Hill_Incident

Wow, that's like uber-geeky combining an already niche game with a even more niche horror game.

I don't know whether to admire his tenacity, or run away screaming from the overbearing level of nerdity.

Haha - that fanfic is all sorts of crazy, but I have to show some respect for the fact that it's actually not terribly written. :)

I finally sat down with the full determination to finish the Edy DLC. I've got the A and B ranks but am having the hardest time getting the C and D ranks. Pretty crazy!

I'm not as big of a fan of the more anime look of it compared to the PS3 one, but it's not something tha'll bother me to be honest. Reasons I see for doing so is so they can actually run the graphics engine on the PSP. The etched look on the PS3 took alot of graphics power on the PS3, so none of it on PSP makes sense.

Whew, good thing I have a PSP. That thing is an RPG beast.

The Vakyria looks plain silly (loli devil-girl with a whip!). I guess they are going for the wacky schoolkid hijinx vibe. That'll have it sell way better in Japan, but I hope it won't be face-palmingly cliche.

Why does it need to be spoilered? That's great. I'm torn whether I'll like it better on the PSP or PS3. Although I like the portability of the PSP, I also enjoy the big screen using the PS3. Regardless, I'll be buying VC2 anyways.

[quote name='finsfan0210']did this game get a trophy patch?[/QUOTE]

No, but it really doesn't need one. In-game, you can unlock medals for actions that would be worthy of a trophy, from collecting all weapons, S-ranking every mission, to having all maxed-levels. Only thing it doesn't do is put your accomplishments online, which if that's the sole reason a person doesn't get the game, that's pretty messed up.

bread's done
Back