Valkyria Chronicles (ps3) $21 or Disgaea 3 (ps3) $17 @ Amazon.com w/ FSSS

PublikDefender

CAGiversary!
Valkyria Chronicles ps3 hasn't been $20 at Amazon for a good long while now. It has been close to $30 for a few months now. If you've been waiting for a temporary drop here you go!
http://www.amazon.com/Valkyria-Chronicles-Playstation-3/dp/B0016C3260/ref=pd_sim_vg_52

(Additionally, Valkyria hasn't been available from gamestop.com in new condition for months now)

Disgaea 3 (ps3) down to $17.86 from over $21 in September.
(make sure you check the 3rd party sellers fulfilled by amazon in the right hand column for the $17.86 w/ free super saver shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C4C4KW

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the notice. STILL can't quite bring myself to buy VC. I love RPGs, Anime, strategy games, and SRPGs, and everyone says this is a real jewel of a game. I just don't like the 'war tank battle' theme. Give me some fantasy or sci-fi or whatever but not just boring 'tanks n' guns'.

...but personal choice aside, thanks for the headsup. Disgaea 3 (if you like Strat RPGs) is VERY worth it at that price, you'll definately get your money's worth in the 50-100+ hours that it provides.

Both are excellent games and I highly recommend them. In fact, I would consider these two games to be my two favorites for the PS3.

[quote name='callmewoof']Thanks for the notice. STILL can't quite bring myself to buy VC. I love RPGs, Anime, strategy games, and SRPGs, and everyone says this is a real jewel of a game. I just don't like the 'war tank battle' theme. Give me some fantasy or sci-fi or whatever but not just boring 'tanks n' guns'.

...but personal choice aside, thanks for the headsup. Disgaea 3 (if you like Strat RPGs) is VERY worth it at that price, you'll definately get your money's worth in the 50-100+ hours that it provides.[/QUOTE]

It has fantasy/sci-fi elements. The sci-fi being some of the tanks and the ragnaid healing "bulbs"... the fantasy being the glowing large-breasted woman on the cover (a valkyria; they have "magic" powers, I guess you would say)

edit: I almost forgot. There IS a demo on the PSN for both VC1 (PS3) and VC2 (PSP) if you want to try either.

[quote name='takotchi']It has fantasy/sci-fi elements. The sci-fi being some of the tanks and the ragnaid healing "bulbs"... the fantasy being the glowing large-breasted woman on the cover (a valkyria; they have "magic" powers, I guess you would say)

edit: I almost forgot. There IS a demo on the PSN for both VC1 (PS3) and VC2 (PSP) if you want to try either.[/QUOTE]

maybe this is a dumb question...but can you play the psp demo on the ps3 or do you have to put it on the psp?

is this a good price for disgaea 3? i have the first two on the psp and i havent even made it through the first. not sure if there will be a further price drop on this by the time i get to the third title.

[quote name='PotatoGuy']is this a good price for disgaea 3? i have the first two on the psp and i havent even made it through the first. not sure if there will be a further price drop on this by the time i get to the third title.[/QUOTE]

It's a really good price (assuming you don't mind skipping the optional $50 DLC bundle) for the amount of return you'll get on your investment. These games offer so much playtime that if you haven't had the chance to play through the first two yet, you're looking at about a couple hundred hours of gameplay time before you'd get around to the third game, giving you a lot of time to wait things out.

I've seen the PS2 versions of D1 and D2 go for $10 new on store shelves. Maybe you'll have similar luck with D3.

Kind of hoping for a new version of Disgaea 3 down the line for the PSP2 or something so I think I'll keep waiting on it for now.

Valkyria 1 is worth every penny even if it were still 50 or 60 bucks.

Thanks for the heads up. I almost grabbed VC a couple of days ago from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, so I'm psyched to get the free shipping and be able to use some of my credit.

Bought VC as an impulse buy 1-2 months ago at Gamestop, where it's only $20 ""brand new". Best deal I've seen as far as B&M is concerned.

Disgaea 3 was probably the game I enjoyed playing through the most. It is addictive, charming, funny, and a blast to play.

I played the hell out of it, getting the platinum in about 180 hours only to be disappointed when it was done.

Great deal, don't hesitate to pick it up at that price.

Sweet deals. They may go for cheaper around Black Friday / Cyber Monday, but I'm going to order these games now. Been looking for a good deal on VC for a while and I loved the first Disgaea, so I ordered D3 as well.

I hate to play the graphics card, but Disgaea 4 (out Q2 in NA) has the series' sprites with an HD makeover. They look really nice.

[quote name='FrankTheTank3388']Valkyria Chronicles is $20 brand new regular price at Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Plus tax. Plus Gamestop does not sell "brand new" games, just opened games as new games. :roll:

[quote name='FrankTheTank3388']Valkyria Chronicles is $20 brand gamestop new regular price at Gamestop.[/QUOTE]
Fixed.

[quote name='FrankTheTank3388']Valkyria Chronicles is $20 brand new regular price at Gamestop.[/QUOTE]
Not in stock almost all the time though.

[quote name='takotchi']Plus Gamestop does not sell "brand new" games, just opened games as new games. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that cellophane makes a huge difference. :drool:

[quote name='Zippon']Yeah, that cellophane makes a huge difference. :drool:[/QUOTE]

That's true. Just wait till GS realizes they are doing us a favor. Perhaps we'll all be charged a $5 'upwrap' charge since GS is helping us all out.

[quote name='Zippon']Yeah, that cellophane makes a huge difference. :drool:[/QUOTE]

You DO realize that GS employees are allowed to try/rent store copies, right? So your gutted copy may have been taken home and played for a week before you bought it.

Does that make it something terrible or horrible? No.

Does that mean you just paid for something advertised as NEW, when it was indeed by all legal definitions USED? Yes.

[quote name='takotchi']Plus tax. Plus Gamestop does not sell "brand new" games, just opened games as new games. :roll:[/QUOTE]

They do have "brand new games," but only for new releases. Any game that is over a few months old they probably only have gutted copies of.

As others have said, it's extremely hard to find those $20 copies at Gamestop, let alone a used $18 copy so this is probably about as good a deal as you're going to get unless Amazon drops it to $15 on Black Friday like they did with Tales of Vesperia. Also realize at some point the price could go up, as it did for Tales for awhile before dropping back down to $30.

[quote name='callmewoof']You DO realize that GS employees are allowed to try/rent store copies, right? So your gutted copy may have been taken home and played for a week before you bought it.

Does that mean you just paid for something advertised as NEW, when it was indeed by all legal definitions USED? Yes.[/QUOTE]

Some stores only let employees check out used copies of games.

Thanks OP, I picked up Valkryia Chronicles. Probably will not be able to play it until I am done with Fallout New Vegas but could not find it anywhere in stores a month ago and I think the price used to be higher also.

[quote name='MSUHitman']They do have "brand new games," but only for new releases. Any game that is over a few months old they probably only have gutted copies of.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been to a Gamestop in years, so maybe their policies have changed, but the last few times I did go, I bought a 'New Release' game on launch day. Each time, the game had been opened, and when I looked inside the case, the game discs had scratches and fingerprints all over them. One even had a manual with a torn cover. How does a brand new game tear its manual, have fingerprints and scratches on the disc and still be sold as new??? Only at Gamestop. Obviously, I complained and got different copies, but I watched the employee cut open the cases, since they said they couldn't sell an unopened game to me.

I would never accept a "new" game with the shrink wrap taken off. The last couple times I have bought new games from GS they were sealed.

I think there was a lawsuit so they cannot resell open games as new.

[quote name='callmewoof']You DO realize that GS employees are allowed to try/rent store copies, right? So your gutted copy may have been taken home and played for a week before you bought it.

Does that mean you just paid for something advertised as NEW, when it was indeed by all legal definitions USED? Yes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm aware of this. But I've bought a great many new games from them, and I have yet to find one that has the slightest hint of wear. The complaints about damage seem to be greatly exaggerated.

As for the legal or philosophical definition of "used", I'm a bit more practical. If the contents are identical in every way to a "new" one, then it's new to me. I think the thousands of complaints about it on CAG are people just looking for something to gripe about. ;)

Let's say if you buy a sealed copy on GS and returned it open, do they accept it? just curious since they sell games that are not sealed as new.

The nice thing about buying Gamestop's "New" games is that they're free rentals.

Employee: You can't return this, it's opened.
Me: Oh, actually, it's brand new. Can't you read the sticker?

bread's done
Back