Valve FAILS at L4D2 pre-order demo release

Well, I have to chime in once more. I do feel for you snookie-cookie-dookie-wookums. In fact, I feel so bad about this situation I personally called Vavle and asked them to hurry the hell up with the release of the demo just for you. They said they are trying to get it out there but the unrelenting fanboy crying on internet websites is making them laugh so hard that the tears keep dripping into the servers causing them to crash.

In all honesty though cookiedough_wookums, I hope they get the demo out for you 3 days after the game comes out for retail. That should keep you busy until then.

Also, thanks for the hourly updates. At least we can now be certain that our clocks are indeed correct.

Hey thanks for checking in again, ktims, glad to see you have so much experience with women that you can check in to my thread 10 times an hour. Homo.

Actualy snookie, I was reading your thread between downloading the demo on xbl and going to pick up my kid from school. And just to put the icing on the cake foryou, I just played some single and multiplayer of the demo on xbox live. Hows your demo workin out for you?

[quote name='snookie_wookums']Hey thanks for checking in again, ktims, glad to see you have so much experience with women that you can check in to my thread 10 times an hour. Homo.[/QUOTE]
LMAO, you're my kind of scum. Wanna fuck?

BTW, here's one of my grief videos I made way back in March if anyone cares to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35J3tVVLmuU&fmt=18

[quote name='snookie_wookums']You bastard! :bomb:[/QUOTE]
Be careful of your criticism of Valve Snookie_Wookums. They might have to fly you up to their headquarters, wine and dine you, give you some swag and get you to change your opinion of them...

Oh wait..that was another group of people.

[quote name='ktims777']Actualy snookie, I was reading your thread between downloading the demo on xbl and going to pick up my kid from school. And just to put the icing on the cake foryou, I just played some single and multiplayer of the demo on xbox live. Hows your demo workin out for you?[/QUOTE]

I think it is scary that someone who has kids finds trolling a message board to be a productive use of their time.

I never said this was a productive use of my time. This is just what i do when I am bored and have nothing better to do. Note, I never once said I am better than snookie, I said i choose to reserve my animosity for other things thats all. In the end I think we are all obsessive assholes about the things we are passionate about.

I just enjoy griefing people about things at time as a way to relieve stress, but in the end I am man enough to relieze that it is immature and a waste of time I could prolly use in a more productive manner. Like playing the Left 4 Dead 2 demo that works on xbox live!!!!!

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Be careful of your criticism of Valve Snookie_Wookums. They might have to fly you up to their headquarters, wine and dine you, give you some swag and get you to change your opinion of them...

Oh wait..that was another group of people.[/QUOTE]

That's it, I'm starting the L4D2 Demo boycott!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']I think it is scary that someone who has kids finds trolling a message board to be a productive use of their time.[/QUOTE]

Co-signed.

[quote name='ktims777']I never said this was a productive use of my time. This is just what i do when I am bored and have nothing better to do. Note, I never once said I am better than snookie, I said i choose to reserve my animosity for other things thats all. In the end I think we are all obsessive assholes about the things we are passionate about.

I just enjoy griefing people about things at time as a way to relieve stress, but in the end I am man enough to relieze that it is immature and a waste of time I could prolly use in a more productive manner. Like playing the Left 4 Dead 2 demo that works on xbox live!!!!![/QUOTE]

Translation: I'm being an excellent role model for my kids.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']Thank you Richmeister for stating what would be obvious to anyone who's actually played the game. Valve is a great developer, and I do believe in supporting them on the whole, but to blindly give them loyalty would be as stupid as dismissing their latenesses and lack of preparation. After all, L4D was last year's *top selling videogame property* so they could hardly be given the charity of not knowing on some level what they had to put into place to support the launch, demo or otherwise. Nobody forced them into giving a release date and publishing it on their own website. According to the contract that is created when the consumer purchases a game, they failed to deliver. As of this moment, mere minutes from the now-twice revised release time, the game still reads as unreleased. We shall see what 4:00pm EST brings.

It's really funny how all some of the less bright ones here are more upset about me voicing a negative opinion of Valve failing than about the issue at hand. Talk about messed up priorities and failure at life.[/QUOTE]

So I'm not sure if anyone else caught you bite yourself on the ass here. When you pre order a game from anywhere it clearly states that dates may change, while supplies last, we really don't have to do anything we said at all, etc etc in the fine print. Not only that but what they are giving you is a FREE service, a gift, a present, a hot dog that is all beef instead of mechanically seperated chicken heads (yes ladies on 4th street I'm looking at you) something you technically didn't pay for thus you are not entitled to. We are slamming you and your opinions because we all seem to realize this, we all seem to have found the second half of our brain after a night of having our hair held back by a fat trick named Jim as we spent the night puking in it after drinking, while you are still passed out with your head on the seat and ass in the air.

To the rest of you, stay out of all of your local McDonalds because when this kid gets an ice coffee with only 5 ice cubes in it instead of 6 I'm afraid that it will probably be bombed.

Sorry for that rant it's late I'm tired, what I said is probably not even worth reading. I hope he doesn't get his in game bat.

[quote name='strikeratt']Sorry for that rant it's late I'm tired, what I said is probably not even worth reading. I hope he doesn't get his in game bat.[/QUOTE]

No, it was very much worth reading because it was true (and awesome). I wish I could type that coherently when I'm tired.

To strikeratt, again I repeat what I said earlier: Someday when you find yourself asking why you don't have all the nice things in life, look back at this thread and how accepting you are of "the fine print". People who get what they want only do so because they ask for -- nay, demand it regardless of what all the other accepting sheeple do. Good luck in life.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Guerrilla']More info please![/QUOTE]

The demo was exactly as it should have been, which is to say that it left you wanting more. Maybe SEH was expecting to be able to play the actual game, but what was included was a two-map campaign mode only, so you can't play as special infected. That's probably what he meant, but who can say with a less-than-ten-word review? I'll try to do better.

You can get a complete list of all the new stuff here, so I will just focus on my impressions.

The new weapons are a slight distraction right now since we're all trying them out instead of focusing on what works, so some run-throughs are less effective as others since you might not realize your weapon sucks until the shit hits the fan. You get melee weapons, but they cost you the pistols. Still, the machete is really cool and nearly fills your whole screen with blood when you chop off a zombie's head.

Common infected are basically the same, but you can shoot off arms and they will still come at you like the Black Knight in Monty Python. You really have to kill them dead now, which means many bullets if you don't hit vital organs. It's definitely a new level of scary to see a one-armed zombie still running at you after you just unloaded 4 shells in its direction.

All the old special infected are still there, but graphically a little different, more refined in their apperance. The boomer I haven't seen much up close since you can't play as special infected yet and for obvious reasons it's hard to see the boomer with a clear view most of the time. The smoker looks more bulbous and ugly. The hunter is wearing slightly different clothes but still has a hoodie. The Tank is probably exactly the same, but every time I've seen him up close so far he's been on fire, so I can't say for 100% sure. The witch walks around weepily with her face covered instead of sitting down, so it's a little more challenging to crown her but it can be done.

The new special infected are a little disappointing in that they are kinda weak, but I guess they change the gameplay a little since there's more variety of what you have to deal with. The jockey is only annoying because it doesn't seen to hurt you much and it has very low HP. The charger is less scary that it sounded like in the previews I read. It's like a bull charging at you and if it connects (you *can* dodge it!), he will grab you and run to a different area than where your teammates are and start pounding your head into the ground. It's been relatively easy to see him coming if you spot him, and you can end up taking plenty of HP off the top if you're good at aiming, but skeeting won't really apply much if that's all you're hoping to do to bring it down. The only one that really seems to be a pain so far is the spitter because that green stuff on the ground *REALLY* hurts if you stand in it or even walk through it, even more than fire.

The new survivors are fairly cool, and I think there's something for everyone to like. Coach really is supposed to be a hardcore Uncle Phil. There's even a nod to The Fresh Prince in one of the loading movies which I won't ruin for anyone who hasn't had it yet, but let's just say it's probably word-for-word what Will Smith would have said to Uncle Phil in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Ellis, Nick and Rochelle are all pretty cool to play and they interact with each other through dialogue more than the old 4, reacting to events more dynamically. It's even a little distracting at times because you have to talk over them in order to communicate with teammates via your mic.

All the characters seem pretty distinctive, which is a hallmark of Valve games. They really do get character development like no other studio in the business. Even the zombies have very distinctive sounds that alert you to their presence. Really, I say it was worth the money. Some might consider me a fanboy for saying that, especially on this thread, but when you have a game where you can shoot bulletproof zombies with a Desert Eagle, well what can I say but sign me up as a fanboy!

[quote name='strikeratt']I hope he doesn't get his in game bat.[/QUOTE]
Like it matters. So many people will have this that I'd be shocked if you were in a game that didn't have it unlocked. Besides, anyone who runs a server could just spawn the item if they wanted to. For an exclusive pre-order item, it's a joke.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']Maybe SEH was expecting to be able to play the actual game, but what was included was a two-map campaign mode only, so you can't play as special infected.[/QUOTE]
No versus MP demo? FAIL!

L4D really needs a deathmatch mode IMO. Hunters vs survivors would rock with a little modification. Reminds me of an amazing HL mod called Vampire Slayer that sadly died off eventually.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']To strikeratt, again I repeat what I said earlier: Someday when you find yourself asking why you don't have all the nice things in life, look back at this thread and how accepting you are of "the fine print". People who get what they want only do so because they ask for -- nay, demand it regardless of what all the other accepting sheeple do. Good luck in life.[/QUOTE]

The problem is you're bitching about a 1 day (24 hour) delay for a DEMO. I could understand them delaying the game, I'd be pissed. I could even understand a 1 week delay for the demo, that would be unfortunate, but it's a FREE demo and it was only delayed by 1 say. Seriously, get over yourself. If Valve had released the demo on-time and it was bugged and crashed your system, would you not be pissed? Ever consider there were reasons behind the delay? Probably not since you had your head up your ass.

Granted I wasn't all that upset, but part of the offering for preordering this game was getting early access to the demo. So I can understand being a bit irritated, not saying I condone the extent to which some have gotten mad over it.

I thought the demo was good, never did run into an assault rifle other than the M16. The upgraded sniper rifle is bad ass. I don't care too much for the melee weapons, but I only used the guitar so who knows.

Explain this upgraded sniper rifle because it's absolutely worthless in L4D. Did they upgrade it mechanic-wise or just change the skin?

[quote name='SynGamer']The problem is you're bitching about a 1 day (24 hour) delay for a DEMO. I could understand them delaying the game, I'd be pissed. I could even understand a 1 week delay for the demo, that would be unfortunate, but it's a FREE demo and it was only delayed by 1 say. Seriously, get over yourself. If Valve had released the demo on-time and it was bugged and crashed your system, would you not be pissed? Ever consider there were reasons behind the delay? Probably not since you had your head up your ass.[/QUOTE]

See you went off on me without really understanding the whole point I've already elaborated on multiple times: IT WAS PART OF THE SALES PITCH BY VALVE THAT THEY WERE GIVING EARLY ACCESS TO THE DEMO, SO IN FACT IT WAS NOT "FREE". If it was *truly* free, I would not have had to give them my money early. Now who has their head up their ass?

[quote name='Jodou']Explain this upgraded sniper rifle because it's absolutely worthless in L4D. Did they upgrade it mechanic-wise or just change the skin?[/QUOTE]

There's speculation that this new rifle is a HK41SG1. This means it carries 30 rounds instead of 15 and it's easier to use than the old hunting rifle. Of all the new weapons, so far the most fun are the AK-47 and the SPAS-12. And of course that machete. The guitar is really just too annoying to use, though the frying pan is worth some chuckles I have to say.

[quote name='snookie_wookums']There's speculation that this new rifle is a HK41SG1. This means it carries 30 rounds instead of 15 and it's easier to use than the old hunting rifle. Of all the new weapons, so far the most fun are the AK-47 and the SPAS-12. And of course that machete. The guitar is really just too annoying to use, though the frying pan is worth some chuckles I have to say.[/QUOTE]
I'm not convinced melee weapons will be worth a shit considering the power of shotguns. With the sniper rifle, I guess it would be a matter of can you still pistol-snipe with ease or even shotgun-snipe still lol. If the game is $20 again like last year on Amazon BF, I'll pick it up. Anything higher and it's adios L4D2.

I wasn't expecting to play the entire game...I know what a demo is. I just didn't feel that excitement towards the game that I felt with the first one. It just seemed like running through the motions. The way the game controlled also felt different than the first one. Mouse movement seemed delayed and sluggish (I don't have V-Sync enabled, and all of my friends who played noted the same thing).

Isn't the point of a demo to let you try it out BEFORE you buy something, not AFTER you already committed to buying it?

I can fully understand the incentive of getting items early or exclusive pre-orders only, but never the demos....

Christ... Why on earth are people so jacked off about a demo? I mean for crying out loud.. Blizzard generally back actual game releases by a year minimum..

Many companys do not meet the original deadline provided.. You know something? I would rather that deadline not be met and the game in question be what it was supposed to be, than they release it early and unfinished because a few whining fanboys can't wait for a bit.

Come on, it's a god damned demo. Get your ass off the seat, quit bitching and go out and find something else to do whilst you wait for it.

It's the whiners, fanboys and bitchers that give gamers the bad name we have.

Edit: And before you say, "I don't know what you're on about". I understand it completely, but still think it's completely infantile to come on a forum whining about a 24 hour delay on a demo, to a bunch of people who, for the most part, don't give a rats ass.

Gareque, you are very presumptuous in what you're saying, but at least you didn't resort to name calling (for the most part). As for the "whining on a forum about a 24-hour delay..." that wasn't the point of my original post, which nearly 2000 views kinda of show that this was at least a valid topic to bring out for discussion. m0rningbreakfast rasied the best point so far, which is that Valve should not have tied the early access to the pre-order, and this is probably the thing that I've not expressed so well; that they made a promise in exchange for money, and with all the mountains of cash they have at their disposal, they could not meet their own deadline.

Yes, it turned out to be a little more than a 1-day delay, but you might be forgetting that there were many who were of the opinion that Valve should not have released this as a full game but rather as DLC. But as some of you may know, EA pushed them into coming up with a sequel, which is what EA does every year with all their hot properties, and this is all the way at the bottom of the upset that you might be sensing in my posts about Valve: they released to the Xbox crowd on-time but the PC crowd had to wait. This is a sign of the changing priorities at Valve that will eventually mean they develop exclusively for the Xbox crowd, and before you say that can't happen, look at Bungie.

Lastly, maybe I came off sounding like I was losing my shit or something but if you read my posts this way, consider that you might be projecting yourself into the posts a little, because I was just talking about how screwed up Valve was with the unfulfilled promise they made with getting my pre-order money. Upset consumers have a right to bitch, and I didn't exactly do it on cnn.com. This website is supposed to be for irate cheap ass gamers. If you're not feeling me then move along, no need to troll here as there are plenty of other threads you can go get angry over.

One last point about "whiners, fanboys, etc...", I can not disagree more. It's the complacency of the gaming community that allows for us to have a bad name. When a news outlet accuses a kid of shooting up a college over a video game, all the complacency you can see here in this very thread absolutely *dominates* the accused, who sit back and shrug their shoulders and say "that's the way it is".

So again I say to you here, and anyone who wandered here over a google search or whatever means, bitch as much as you like, because calm people hardly ever accomplish shit in life.

[quote name='Gareque']Christ... Why on earth are people so jacked off about a demo?[/QUOTE]

I don't think you used that phrase correctly :bouncy:

Thanks, this is my first thread where I had a lot to talk about, so please excuse the messiness. I will be better about using multiquote the next time this happens.

Valve should compansate that amount of money paid for the demo due to it being late. I'll be sure to check my credit card statements for that $0.00 cash refund.

It's like getting a brand new car for 1000$ and when you get in all you can think is who fucking farted in it. Who the fuck cares it's a bonus.

GD these late night rants! I'm going to bed.

You've got half of it right so far, the rabble-rousing. And with all the anonymity that the internet gives you, why not be as big a jackass as you'd like? Go ahead, be my guest. All I was trying to say is that maybe, just maybe it might be a good idea to use all that energy speaking up about things that matter to you. Maybe you're doing that right now, in which case I have to ask you... why is this thread so important to you?

[quote name='snookie_wookums']You've got half of it right so far, the rabble-rousing. And with all the anonymity that the internet gives you, why not be as big a jackass as you'd like? Go ahead, be my guest. All I was trying to say is that maybe, just maybe it might be a good idea to use all that energy speaking up about things that matter to you. Maybe you're doing that right now, in which case I have to ask you... why is this thread so important to you?[/QUOTE]

Simple answer ... I hate it when people who make mountains out of mole hills

Valve, fail!?! What blasphemy is this?
smile

Wow. Topic creator is a sad angry person getting bent out of shape over a demo being a day or two later then anticipated. Stuff happens. Live with it. Games are pushed back and delayed all the time. Next time i'm sure Valve will just tell you they won't have a demo so you can't complain about it being late.

[quote name='Brian9824']Wow. Topic creator is a sad angry person getting bent out of shape over a demo being a day or two later then anticipated. Stuff happens. Live with it. Games are pushed back and delayed all the time. Next time i'm sure Valve will just tell you they won't have a demo so you can't complain about it being late.[/QUOTE]

Well next time they probably shouldn't offer it as an incentive for pre-ordering.

While I didn't make as big a deal as the OP did about it being delayed, valve should get some backlash. If you are unsure then don't put out a concrete release time. Don't make promises you can make good on; it's an age old lesson.

I read that people who pre ordered from gamestop were suppose to get the demo first

....I pre ordered BACK IN JULY

I didn't get crap. Thanks local gamestop!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Well next time they probably shouldn't offer it as an incentive for pre-ordering.

While I didn't make as big a deal as the OP did about it being delayed, valve should get some backlash. If you are unsure then don't put out a concrete release time. Don't make promises you can make good on; it's an age old lesson.[/QUOTE]

You got cash off, a demo, and a bat for preordering and to top it all off they let you download the game early so it's ready for the launch date. The extra shit is a FREE service ... how the fuck can people get all up in arms about free?

They could simply just say buy the game get bent because lets be honest, you were going to get it no matter what.

bread's done
Back