VGA cables for Dreamcast--Worth it?

asianxcore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I acquired a Dreamcast VGA converter box a while back through a CAG trade.

I was wondering if it is worth it to get VGA cables for a Dreamcast, if the majority of what I play are 2-D fighters. My Dreamcast is connected to an LCD TV. I'd be playing a lot of:

Guilty Gear X
King of Fighters 99' Evolution
Marvel Vs. Capcom 1/2

Thanks!

Yes, it's absolutely worth it. I need to get a VGA box for my Dreamcast now that I think of it... err... but unless I'm mistaken, using the VGA cables are the only way you can get 480p in Dreamcast games and it's like the step up from composite/S-video to component when you start using the VGA.

Alright cool. Next question since I don't know about these sort of things.

Next to my VGA input on my TV there looks to be a single white input for sound, I'm guessing digital out? Next to that there are places to hook up audio cables but only as "Line Out" All my other composite inputs are taken up by other systems, would I still be able to hook up my DC through VGA?

[quote name='asianxcore']Alright cool. Next question since I don't know about these sort of things.

Next to my VGA input on my TV there looks to be a single white input for sound, I'm guessing digital out? Next to that there are places to hook up audio cables but only as "Line Out" All my other composite inputs are taken up by other systems, would I still be able to hook up my DC through VGA?[/QUOTE]

I can't say for certain since I can't see your TV from where I'm sitting, but if the white thing is the size of a standard white A/V cable, then it's going to give you mono sound... which is ghetto as hell. If there's an input that is the size of a headphone jack though, that'll get you stereo sound and that should hook up to the VGA box somewhere.

[quote name='Chacrana']f there's an input that is the size of a headphone jack though, that'll get you stereo sound and that should hook up to the VGA box somewhere.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't see the size of the input but it's labeled "VGA Stereo Input"

Another dumb question, but what kind of cable would I use to hook up the sound for the VGA box?

[quote name='asianxcore']I couldn't see the size of the input but it's labeled "VGA Stereo Input"

Another dumb question, but what kind of cable would I use to hook up the sound for the VGA box?[/QUOTE]

You would use a faggy headphone cable (3.5mm.) By that, I mean a male to male 3.5mm headphone cable. That's the stereo input I was referring to, so you're fine if you get that one cable.

is your box similer to this one? There is s-video and VGA on the top, 2 headphone jacks on the side, and a set of composite connection on the bottom. Next to the composite is a switch that will let you switch between VGA and S-Vid for those games that freak out in VGA.
dcvga.jpg

Anyways hopefully you are not reduced to running your audio through the 3.5 jack. If your box has the red and white composite connections then by all means use those.

Edit: If curious about which systems and games support HD then take a look at this site.
http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?autocom=custom&page=hdlists

dc_vga.jpg

That's what mine looks like but it's orange.

I do have the composite audio out on the box, but as I mentioned the only composite audio inputs near the VGA spot on my TV, are marked "line out". Does that matter?

[quote name='asianxcore']
dc_vga.jpg

I do have the composite audio out on the box, but as I mentioned the only composite audio inputs near the VGA spot on my TV, are marked "line out". Does that matter?[/QUOTE]

line out is for your tv to output audio to another device, so you gotta use the stereo jack

[quote name='Gara']is your box similer to this one? There is s-video and VGA on the top, 2 headphone jacks on the side, and a set of composite connection on the bottom. Next to the composite is a switch that will let you switch between VGA and S-Vid for those games that freak out in VGA.
dcvga.jpg

Anyways hopefully you are not reduced to running your audio through the 3.5 jack. If your box has the red and white composite connections then by all means use those.

Edit: If curious about which systems and games support HD then take a look at this site.
http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?autocom=custom&page=hdlists[/QUOTE]

I have that same VGA box, I've had since when the DC was still alive. I got it at EB and I think it cost me like 25 bucks. Vga output on the DC looks great.

But be aware that it can make 2d sprites look worse then standard cables. I found the VGA box was best for games that had 3d models in them.

[quote name='asianxcore']
dc_vga.jpg

I do have the composite audio out on the box, but as I mentioned the only composite audio inputs near the VGA spot on my TV, are marked "line out". Does that matter?[/quote]

You mean you don't have any open composite connections on your TV besites the line outs? Unplug something!

It's time for you to buy a receiver or a AV switch box. Having to get behind your TV everytime you use a different system is a real pain. A crappy switcher won't run you much, 10.00-20.00 tops.

[quote name='KingDox']I have that same VGA box, I've had since when the DC was still alive. I got it at EB and I think it cost me like 25 bucks. Vga output on the DC looks great.

But be aware that it can make 2d sprites look worse then standard cables. I found the VGA box was best for games that had 3d models in them.[/quote]

Oddly enough these boxes have held their value. Surprised how much people are paying on ebay for a decent vga box. It really makes the old games shine

I have a VGA box for my DC and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 looks HORRIBLE with it. If 2D fighters are what you play most, you'll probably be dissapointed with the results. However, 3D fighters like Project Justice look phenomenal.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I have a VGA box for my DC and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 looks HORRIBLE with it. If 2D fighters are what you play most, you'll probably be dissapointed with the results. However, 3D fighters like Project Justice look phenomenal.[/QUOTE]

well, the sprites in MvsC do look bad, but the backgrounds look great!

also, guilty gear does look good, most other 2d fighters don't look to well....(if they work at all)

Thanks Guile and Ashram.

2-D fighters are what I play most on DC, which was why the question came up. I do have GG, but from what I've read it's one of the exceptions.

Well, not to hijack your thread but if you decide you don't want to go with the VGA box send me a PM as I'm looking (hard) for one and would be glad to purchase yours. That goes for everyone esle =)

My experience with the VGA converter is that the picture looks 100 times better on a CRT monitor and looks a little distorted on a LCD screen due to the low resolution out from the Dreamcast. It’s best for 3d games, like REZ or Project Justice or any 2d games with high res sprites like Guilty Gear. Unfortunately, all of the Capcom or SNK Fighters I have all use low-res sprites so the characters look very blocky and ugly. My VGA converter has an S-video option for games that are not compatible with the VGA converter like Bangaioh. Basically, you have the VGA converter also hooked up to a TV so when the VGA converter doesn’t recognize the game, you can toggle the image from the PC monitor to a TV that’s right next to it. If your into the Dreamcast, the VGA converter is a must buy.

DSC02371-1.jpg

[quote name='ckny']Well, not to hijack your thread but if you decide you don't want to go with the VGA box send me a PM as I'm looking (hard) for one and would be glad to purchase yours[/QUOTE]

I decided not to go the VGA route, simply because I am playing a majority of 2-D fighters on it. GG is the only game I own that would remotely look better. I'll just stick to my S-Video cables.

PM sent.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I have a VGA box for my DC and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 looks HORRIBLE with it. If 2D fighters are what you play most, you'll probably be dissapointed with the results. However, 3D fighters like Project Justice look phenomenal.[/QUOTE]

I think I remember reading somewhere that capcom 2d fighters on the dreamcast were all done in 320x240 and scaled up... whereas guilty gear was designed for 640x480.

Guilty Gear X Improvement
King of Fighters 99' Evolution Crap
Marvel Vs. Capcom 1/2 Nice backgrounds, crap sprites

If you're mainly gaming 2d sprites, S-video is the way to go.

[quote name='CappyCobra']Guilty Gear X Improvement
King of Fighters 99' Evolution Crap
Marvel Vs. Capcom 1/2 Nice backgrounds, crap sprites

If you're mainly gaming 2d sprites, S-video is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I already have my Dreamcast hooked up through S-Video cables. Oddly enough they came with the Dreamcast when I bought it used from Gamecrazy.

Looks like I'll probably try and sell off the VGA box.

bread's done
Back