Video card is overheating

Scrubsy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
For some reason my video card got way to hot and shut down my computer. This has never happened before so I took it out and cooled it down because it was so damn hot and luckily nothing bad happened. I work in 3d programs sot it is a little taxing on the gpu and like I said, it never has done this before. I checked the fan on the gpu and that seems to be working fine. Currently my card is about 80 degrees which is waaay too hot. Any tips on how to cool my case? I have one 80mm fan in the back but I don't think its working the best right now.

Edit: Im pretty sure the fan isn't working properly. Can I simply buy a new more powerful fan somewhere and attach it?

Its an ATI 2600 XT and now its seems to be doing fine at about 68. I have no idea what caused it to overheat like that, but I think I will be upgrading my fans anyway just to be safe.

ah, the XT models. If it's anything like my old 6800XT it automatically overclocks. I remember when the heatsink got loose on it my games ran like shit (and yes, it was getting dangerously hot). So yea, get a GPU cooler from newegg for around $40, get some good Arctic Silver cooling paste and make sure that thing is on properly!

[quote name='Scrubsy']Its an ATI 2600 XT and now its seems to be doing fine at about 68. I have no idea what caused it to overheat like that, but I think I will be upgrading my fans anyway just to be safe.[/quote]

I had a ati 1950 pro that use to overheat and shut my pc down, turned out it was my PS. The rail powering the card was failing. The PS was more then enought to power the card, and it was pretty new, but replaceing it fixed the problem right up. The card would overheat because it wasnt getting enough power and some thing on the card would overheat trying to draw the power.
IF it starts to overheat again, swap out your PS for laughs and giggles, might be the problem.

Grab one of these and slap it on your 8800!

I have one of these paired with a zip tied 80mm fan and the load temp currently ranges from 48-60*C (depending on game run and if the AC is on) and usually at 42-46 idle. This setup takes up 3 slots including the card so beware if you're doing SLI or Crossfire.

My 8800GT was getting as high as 82*C during load (66-72*C idle) with stock fan on auto so the temperature decrease is immense! The new cooler really helps a lot considering I live in one of the hottest states in the country.

:EDIT: ahh just checked the HD 2600 XT isn't supported by the Accelero unfortunately.

bread's done
Back