video editing program

floormat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Looks like the best place to put this.

Just wondering what the best program for video editing is? Just looking to take avi, mpg, mp4 and mkv files, feed them in (if the prog needs to reconvert them so be it) and cut in or out parts of the file and then repackage it back to avi, mpg blah blah. I would hope there wouldn't be any loss in the quality in this process. I don't need a super fancy program but if it is no biggie either. If a program is somewhat complicated that's ok I just don't want a program that I have to fight to do something that should be fairly easy. Thank for any assistance anyone can offer.

If you have a windows, I concur with Brak and, though I haven't used it, I hear Sony Vegas is good.

However, if you're really serious about video editing and think this is something you would like to do more of in the future, the only way to go about it is get a Mac and use Final Cut Pro. It's more costly but nothing comes close (except Avid). Final Cut is also pretty simple to learn, but is nearly limitless in its potential.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']If you have a windows, I concur with Brak and, though I haven't used it, I hear Sony Vegas is good.

However, if you're really serious about video editing and think this is something you would like to do more of in the future, the only way to go about it is get a Mac and use Final Cut Pro. It's more costly but nothing comes close (except Avid). Final Cut is also pretty simple to learn, but is nearly limitless in its potential.[/QUOTE]

Adobe Premier Pro is just as good as Final Cut but for Windows. I run both and have no problems with either one.

Btw Sony Vegas works fine for what you need it for. I don't have any experience in any other programs though but I hear sony movie platinum suite 12 should be able to work well for your needs and that won't run you more than $50.

Thanks all for your help so far. Been messing with Sony Vegas 12. When I go to "render as" I cant seem to output files with multiple channels. I only seem to be able to do stereo. It have 5 streams but when I play the rendered file back they seem to only be in stereo. Any thoughts for what setting to output to a Mp4 file at 1080p 24fps 24000 or 48000khz as 5.1? Thanks.

[quote name='floormat']Thanks all for your help so far. Been messing with Sony Vegas 12. When I go to "render as" I cant seem to output files with multiple channels. I only seem to be able to do stereo. It have 5 streams but when I play the rendered file back they seem to only be in stereo. Any thoughts for what setting to output to a Mp4 file at 1080p 24fps 24000 or 48000khz as 5.1? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I don't have the program in front of me, but you can tweak all of that stuff in the Advanced Options on the Render As screen that pops up.

If not there, it's somewhere similar.

Sony Vegas is best one for editing videos because I'm also using this one for editing the videos....Try it my friend...:bouncy:

Got Sony vegas. I know I am just inexperienced at this point but it just seems that it should be so much easier to cut paste, add and delete. Start here end here and delete the middle or insert new. Mute this section or increase db. Besides all that haven't found the right settings to render out what I put in either. 5 channel sound only wants to output stereo. Alas... If someone has a good guide or youtube vid let me know. Thanks

Everything you need is on youtube. They can teach you w/e you need. Also, Vegas tends to be bad with game footage when you render AVC (which you should be), so look up mainconcept fix for color corrector settings. Trust me, you'll thank me later when your darks come out looking brighter and proper.

bread's done
Back