Video Gaming in America vs. Japan

getmyrunon

CAGiversary!
I'll be giving a presentation on this in one of my classes next week, and I was wondering if any CAGers have any interesting ideas I should bring up.

The title of my presentation is "Video gaming in two cultures: Japan and the United States" and aims to show how differences in the two cultures' attitudes towards gaming are also representative of ideological differences, and how games socialize players differently in each culture.

This would include things like the ratings system (I know it exists, but how strictly is it enforced in Japan?), Japanese attitudes towards violence in games, is an "average gamer" in Japan different from one in the US? etc.

Any insights you guys can give on differences you have noticed (particularly those who have spent time in Japan, but anyone else is welcome to contribute) would be much appreciated. I'm not looking for formal responses (unless you feel like giving one), just quick one sentence brainstorms to stimulate my research would be great.

If anyone would like to see it, I'll post the powerpoint when i'm finished, I've already dug up some pretty interesting stuff.

Thanks everyone

I don't think ratings are strictly enforced in Japan, although they have sorta stepped up the importance of ratings there since they moved to the whole "Cero A, B, C, D, Z" system and have games display the rating on their spine now.

And what differences have I noticed? American games are typically more open ended and give you the chance to advance the game the way you want whereas Japanese games tend to be more linear, but also seem to pay a lot more attention to detail.

Also, Japanese gamers like spiky hair and big tits. And men who look like bitches.

maybe if you pm cheapyD, he may be generous enough to respond with some helpful information.

other than that, one of the main differences I see between japan and america for gaming culture, is that arcades are still alive over there. I can't remember I saw an actual video game arcade anywhere here in the states, but in japan their numerous from what I understand. but, on the other hand, I've heard that gaming is slowly "dying out" in japan, so you may need to do a lot of research. but good topic, kudos if you pull it off well.

At a big multi-game fighting game tournament, I spoke with this guy who placed 3rd in the Japanese Nationals at Soul Calibur 2 I think it was. The questions were what is different between Japanese tournaments and ours. The guy ended up winning like 3 tournaments, and I dont think he even seriously played two of the games.

1) They dont do double elimination, you only get one chance
2) Everyone knows their frame data D:

I don't know anything about Japanese gaming culture, but since you mention how VGs might reflect ideological differences, I wonder if they carry the same social connotations over there as they do in the US. Here mainstream culture (including the media) perceives VGs as something that kids engage in - a view that is reinforced by the very label: games are for kids. The other common social connotation of VGs has them as part of geek/nerd culture.

Do VGs carry this same social baggage in mainstream Japanese culture? Are adult professionals in Japan supposed to be embarrased if they like games (other than Madden)?

Japanese games seem to be more "blasphemous". Many games are edited when they release stateside. I wish they would leave the games alone but I realize Japanese companies don't want to fight the Religious Right when it comes to video games.

Also, gaming is accepted like watching TV or going to the movies. From what I've seen and heard, you'll find many different walks of life in arcades.

I get the impression that in Japan they are less influenced by video game media telling them what to play and make up their own minds. In the US, people seem to care too much about what someone else tells them is supposed to be the cool thing to play.

I know its much more common to see girls in video game shops and arcades over there and the age range and social class range seem to be wider. Since they don't id you to buy beer and other drinks I doubt there is much fuss over game ratings. most game shops and some arcade have adult video game sections.
I think there games are much more violent (most of the movies I watched are plenty violent) but there is little crime or violence in Japan itself.
People are always playing games or texting on the trains (They will do any thing that will help them avoid eye contact)

I've been to Tokyo a few times in the last couple years. If you have any specific questions I might be able to help. However I'll share that my biggest observation was that video games, anime, and mangas in Japan all seem to be more accepted, where as in America most adults over 30 still veiw video games as "kid's stuff."

In the States, Hollywood is iconic and therefore the basis for a lot of game sales. You guys get God Father games, Scarface games, HeatSeeker (Top Gun LOL).

But here in Japan, anime and manga is the Hollywood counterpart, so there is a lot of stuff made based on cartoon shows, mangas, characters, etc...

Mature games also seem less popular here in the western sense. God of War for example doesn't get much attention here for some reason. It could be that because the style of the game is too 'western' or 'unfamiliar' it doesn't get played because I believe there are violent and bloody games in Japan, but the ones that are more popular are based on Japanese IPs.

You really gotta throw in the RPG comparison in your presentation. You know, Oblivion vs. Final Fantasy, that sort of thing.
Also, record it... possibly .mp3 or preferably in video, that would be a cool thing to host up.

bread's done
Back