Video Ipods

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Ok, I have a second generation ipod and I wouldn;t mind buying an updated version. I was thinking about getting the Video Ipod 30 or 60gb version. Are these video ipod worth the price range and are their any good deals on them?

The video feature kills battery life (maybe three hours max on video), but the iPod works wonderfully beside that.

As far as deals go...there aren't really very many iPod deals. If you're in college, you can get a bit of a discount that way; beyond that, I don't have any suggestions.

I would get the 60gb version, just because it has a longer battery life. I wish I did that when I bought my video, but now its too late. I would get a screen protector right away, what I did was just get a psp hori protector and cut it to fit on the video and it work wonderfully. and I'd also get a case, I would recommened an agent 18 case, but if you did I would get 2 screen protectors, as the agent 18 scratches your ipod easily, but protects from most other things.

I'd recommend a Creative Zen Vision: M.
It comes in 30 gb, has a screen with ~260,000 colors vs the iPod's ~60,000,
and beats the iPod in battery life.

If you plan on carrying a ton of video on it and using it a lot, go with the 60 gig. It's only a $100 more I think? Compared to other Ipods, the video ipods are the best deal by far-- most gigs for your buck.

And yes order a screen protector and case along with-- the thing gets hairline scratches VERY easily.

I recommend axshop.com for that stuff-- they've got super cheap, but high quality cases and screen protectors.

I'm in the same situation as well. But I'm debating if I want the nano version though. I don't care about videos and I don't have that much music to put in. Plus it is smaller.

Then again, for $100 more I can get 26 more gigs.

just remember that when the next iPod Video comes out, your iPod will be obsolete and apple will stop selling anything you can use.

I have one of these nifty Ipod Videos, but my fucking problem is how in the hell am I supposed to get video and clips that I already have on it through Itunes. God I hate that program...so cumbersome yet it is applauded by every Mac and Apple fanboy in the world. I don't need to sync my ipod with my computer and put my stuff in this and import this way....all I want is to add songs and video to it. Even adding photos is a bitch since you have to have a specified folder with the photos you want and say you want to delete just one you can't, you have to start fresh. Again, can someone please maybe help figure out how to put video on the darn thing and delete specific images from it?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I have one of these nifty Ipod Videos, but my fucking problem is how in the hell am I supposed to get video and clips that I already have on it through Itunes. God I hate that program...so cumbersome yet it is applauded by every Mac and Apple fanboy in the world. I don't need to sync my ipod with my computer and put my stuff in this and import this way....all I want is to add songs and video to it. Even adding photos is a bitch since you have to have a specified folder with the photos you want and say you want to delete just one you can't, you have to start fresh. Again, can someone please maybe help figure out how to put video on the darn thing and delete specific images from it?[/QUOTE]

are you trying to get stuff off your ipod to your computer? because you can't, unfortunately.
But if you mean that you want to have control over what's on the ipod and computer, you just have to make sure Itunes detecs the folders your stuff is in. After you do that, you should be able to add/delete individual files through the program. That's when you sync up your Ipod so every time you hook it up, it'll update to the changes you made. hope that helps

[quote name='Apossum']are you trying to get stuff off your ipod to your computer? because you can't, unfortunately.
But if you mean that you want to have control over what's on the ipod and computer, you just have to make sure Itunes detecs the folders your stuff is in. After you do that, you should be able to add/delete individual files through the program. That's when you sync up your Ipod so every time you hook it up, it'll update to the changes you made. hope that helps[/quote]

No, I am not trying to retrieve stuff off of my Ipod, which actually technically is feasable on the Ipod and can be done with or without certain programs such as Ephpod, etc.

With my Ipod I like to transfer the music onto it using Ephpod, then make backup discs of what I have and delete. I only go into Itunes to delete certain songs or track I don't like, etc. I'm just trying to figure out how to put Video onto the damn thing in the first place. I mean, c'mon, for such a great product you'd think Apple could sacrifice a few trees to create a fucking manual that explains Itunes and the Ipod. I have seen and tested so many simpler programs than Itunes it isn't funny. The Winamp plus Itunes Plug in is better than Itunes.

okay...got this from the help file. searched for "video"

To copy videos to your iPod manually, connect iPod to your computer and drag videos from the iTunes library to iPod.

Note: If iPod is set to update songs automatically, you must set it to let you manage songs manually if you want to copy videos manually. Choose Edit > Preferences and click the iPod tab, then click the Music tab. Select "Manually manage songs and playlists."

you might have to convert it though...which itunes does if you right click, then hit "convert for ipod".

[quote name='Apossum']okay...got this from the help file. searched for "video"

you might have to convert it though...which itunes does if you right click, then hit "convert for ipod".[/quote]

Hmm...so just go to the video section in Itunes and go from there I'm assuming? How about photos? Is there anyway to just delete individual photos instead of having to redo the entire photos from a folder that I'm not even sure still has the photos I want?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Hmm...so just go to the video section in Itunes and go from there I'm assuming? How about photos? Is there anyway to just delete individual photos instead of having to redo the entire photos from a folder that I'm not even sure still has the photos I want?[/QUOTE]

Bumpage since I need some help with something like this also.

My wife has a 3rd gen iPod and I haven't seen the need for a second one to this point. However, a friend of mine 'gifted' me the entire first season of Kim Possible from the iTunes store - and now I want a video iPod :(

I really dislike iTunes as well. I love the iPod products, hate the software.

In order for me to add songs I literally have to change USB slots. So much for ease of use.

There's some software called Anapod at www.redchairsoftware.com that is supposed to be much easier to use with ipods to transfer shit (to and from). I haven't tried it since my ipod hasn't gotten here yet, but I will when I get it.

I'm personally waiting to upgrade untill the begining of April. There is talk of a full screen video ipod coming out.

[quote name='WAJedi']I'm personally waiting to upgrade untill the begining of April. There is talk of a full screen video ipod coming out.[/QUOTE]

They're having a conference April 1. Wait until then. They are supposedly unveiling the new ipod and the new intel ibook/macbook.

If you are heavy into video, check out PMPManiac.com and DAPreview.net
Both very good for newest news in PMPs and DAPs. Personally, i was in the same boat (had a 3G ipod for 2 years, excellent!) I couldnt stand iTunes. Such a hassle. I have decided to get the Cowon A2. Check that bad boy out. Amazing reviews, tons of features, easy to use and gorgeous. :)

[quote name='munch']They're having a conference April 1. Wait until then. They are supposedly unveiling the new ipod and the new intel ibook/macbook.[/quote]
bump...how did this conference go?

i'm thinking of getting a video ipod but am contemplating b/t the 30 and 60 gb as well..

i mean, on one hand, you save some cash for the 30, on the other, it's only 100 (or 80ish on ebay) more if you buy the 60, so there's double the space and better battery life (is this true?)

need some input

True on the better battery life for the 60GB. Personally I'd probably pay the extra for the 60GB.

Currently I have a 20GB gen 4 (I think) and I'm having to shuffle stuff off to make room for new music. Sucks.

[quote name='swetooth9']bump...how did this conference go?

i'm thinking of getting a video ipod but am contemplating b/t the 30 and 60 gb as well..

i mean, on one hand, you save some cash for the 30, on the other, it's only 100 (or 80ish on ebay) more if you buy the 60, so there's double the space and better battery life (is this true?)

need some input[/QUOTE]

Nothing happened. There's still talk of it, though. No matter which version you buy there will be a 'cooler' version out six months later that will make you wish you had waited. Eventually you just have to make the plunge and get it.

yea...seems like i'll either get the 60 gb or the 30 gb creative zen vision m...decisions, decisions...either brighter screen and more video battery life...or more audio battery life and a cool scroll wheel...

[quote name='swetooth9']yea...seems like i'll either get the 60 gb or the 30 gb creative zen vision m...decisions, decisions...either brighter screen and more video battery life...or more audio battery life and a cool scroll wheel...[/QUOTE]

Just get the Ipod...better support, better company. I try not to be biased on these things, but when I was deciding between Creative/Iriver/Apple...I went with Iriver...it sucked horribly (crappy audio and battery)...then I got a Zen...sucked...weighed more than an Ipod which sucked for the gym, and the battery life was pretty crappy....then I got an Ipod....loved it. In fact I loved it so much I bought a Mac Mini to go along with it.

I wont go back. Just one man's story, but still, I highly recommend the Ipod.

[quote name='blackjaw']Just get the Ipod...better support, better company. I try not to be biased on these things, but when I was deciding between Creative/Iriver/Apple...I went with Iriver...it sucked horribly (crappy audio and battery)...then I got a Zen...sucked...weighed more than an Ipod which sucked for the gym, and the battery life was pretty crappy....then I got an Ipod....loved it. In fact I loved it so much I bought a Mac Mini to go along with it.

I wont go back. Just one man's story, but still, I highly recommend the Ipod.[/quote]

when you said the battery life was pretty crappy, you mean for music, not videos, right? I heard that the Zen had twice as much battery life regarding videos

but yea, most of the time i'll probably be listening to music anyway

[quote name='blackjaw']Just get the Ipod...better support, better company. I try not to be biased on these things, but when I was deciding between Creative/Iriver/Apple...[/QUOTE]

Says the guy with the Apple logo for an avatar and Mac > Windows for a title... ;) (Sorry couldn't resist.)

[quote name='wubb']Says the guy with the Apple logo for an avatar and Mac > Windows for a title... ;) (Sorry couldn't resist.)[/QUOTE]

I gave a warning that I "try" not to be biased. ;)

[quote name='swetooth9']when you said the battery life was pretty crappy, you mean for music, not videos, right? I heard that the Zen had twice as much battery life regarding videos[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the one that I bought didn't have the option for video's. I believe it gave me 6-8 hours of music which in my opinion wasn't sufficient. I played it in my car on the way to work (about 30 minutes), then it lasted about 6 hours at my work place (with volume in the middle and no equilizer effects on). I returned it soon after (much to my Best Buy's dismay...I dont think they like when you return items over and over again..haha)

well, i just won a new/sealed white (black shows too many scratches IMO...plus i already have a black psp) ipod video 60 gb...350 shipped

does anyone know if the 3.49 off shipping code still works?

Here's the difference according to apple:

iPod 30GB ($300/$270 w/ educational discount)
-14hrs music/2 hrs video
-single platter hard drive for faster access
-about 33% thinner than 60GB

iPod 60GB ($400/$370 w/ educational discount)
-20hrs music/3 hrs video
-double platter (a bit of a slowdown between platters)
-thinner than the 4G 20GB ipod color.

Both have a 2.5" color screen.

bread's done
Back