Video of Abandoned Six Flags park in New Orleans

For anyone thinking it doesn't look so bad now... most of what you're seeing was under corrosive salt water for over a month.

They originally leased the land for 75 years and it just opened in 2000 :whistle2:#
six+flags+photo

If this kind of stuff interests you, google urban spelunking

Last edited by a moderator:
Screw ghosts and all of that nonsense. This is the stuff that gets under your skin.

Something about a normally happy place being destroyed gets to me, especially when it is real.

I would love to go there, although it would be better if I had visited it before. I could only imagine if my local amusement park (Kings Island) looked like this. That would be some eerie shit.

[quote name='DrMunkee']Screw ghosts and all of that nonsense. This is the stuff that gets under your skin.

Something about a normally happy place being destroyed gets to me, especially when it is real.

I would love to go there, although it would be better if I had visited it before. I could only imagine if my local amusement park (Kings Island) looked like this. That would be some eerie shit.[/QUOTE]

You probably never made it up to Geauga Lake but here's the pictures from someone who hopped the fence and saw a bit of what (little) remains; which is the Big Dipper, The Raging Wolf Bobs and just a bunch of concrete and debris. Park was closed by Cedar Fair in 2007 and completely gutted almost instantly.

http://coasterfusion.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?9221.0#post_9222

[quote name='QiG']You probably never made it up to Geauga Lake but here's the pictures from someone who hopped the fence and saw a bit of what (little) remains; which is the Big Dipper, The Raging Wolf Bobs and just a bunch of concrete and debris. Park was closed by Cedar Fair in 2007 and completely gutted almost instantly.

http://coasterfusion.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?9221.0#post_9222[/QUOTE]

Man. Thanks for the pics. I never knew that they did this.

These pictures are just...depressing. But I can't stop looking. :bouncy:

if you guys like urban exploration, you really should check out uer.ca .. those guys catalog things in every country of the world, usually with backstories.. very fascinating. See if there's anything in your hometown. Just go to the site and click UE DB

[quote name='Scorch']if you guys like urban exploration, you really should check out uer.ca .. those guys catalog things in every country of the world, usually with backstories.. very fascinating. See if there's anything in your hometown. Just go to the site and click UE DB[/QUOTE]

i'm a member there too. been to a couple of meet and greets and the people are friendly/cool.

if i were to ever goto new orleans, i would most definitely check that place out.

If you guys want to see a ton of abandoned places, check out www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com

Pretty cool site. I've been going on there for years. It's just one of many urban exploration ones out there.

Here's one for defunct amusement parks:
http://www.defunctparks.com/

Fun fact: The mall(Dixie Square Mall) used in the movie "The Blues Brothers" still stands today....still abandoned like it was months before the movie was shot.

Wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Square_Mall

DeadMalls.com feature on the Dixie Square Mall:
http://www.deadmalls.com/malls/dixie_square_mall.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fanboy']http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl-revisited/
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl-land-of-the-wolves/

Long story short... Ukrainian girl on motorcycle goes back to Chernobyl and writes a series of fascinating diaries.

image22.3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Long story short...that's fake.

One group came for a hoax. About two years ago, Mr. Tatarchuk said, a Ukrainian woman booked a tour, wore a leather biker jacket and posed for pictures. Soon there appeared a Web site in which the woman, using the name Elena, claimed that she had been given an unlimited pass by her father, a nuclear physicist and Chernobyl researcher (''Thank you, Daddy!'' she wrote) and now roamed the ruins at will on her Kawasaki Big Ninja.

The site, www.kiddofspeed.com, billed as a tale ''where one can ride with no stoplights, no police, no danger to hit some cage or some dog,'' was a sensation, duping uncountable viewers before being discredited.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...936A25755C0A9639C8B63&sec=travel&pagewanted=2

It looks like something out of Zombieland. Well, THAT IS TERRIBLE! I would never "road-trip" to such a site. This should be cleaned up and taken out of the water. This type of stuff is disgraceful. So much destruction to the land and destroying it's natural beauty...how do people not get pissed about this?

Without all of nature you couldn't survive, but now we have a fucking roller coaster in the water.

This shit needs to change.

that reminds me of that town somewhere in america that they sunk underwater when building a damn. i also think theres a place in tennessee where an earthquake cause a ton of land with homes in it to go underwater. theres alot of cool shit like that all over. always makes me think of world war z.

Look up the Borscht Belt for another series of abandoned and rotting buildings, most of which are former resorts up in NY state that have stood abandoned for over 20 years now.

There's also a place called West Mountain Sanitorium, which is near me, but it's largely destroyed now(due to fuckin' vandals burning most of it to the ground:roll:) and what isn't destroyed the locals living near it guard to prevent further destruction.

According to some news in january 2011 six flags new orleans is being torn down for scrap. Its too bad, SF has been saying for a while they were going to fix it, but insurance issues are holding it up, though I think I read that they did transport out some of the rides at least. Personally, I think they just don't want to sink that money back into the park especially when they have the land on a 75 year lease. Especially if another damn hurricane comes through.

It always makes me wonder how people just rebuild in an area they know is prone to flooding, like the one section of my hometown. People would always rebuild there and kept doing so. That is, until the federal government put up a ton of money to buy out homes in that section and then bulldozed them all.

Same deal with NO. If folks there had a chance to move somewhere where they wouldn't be flooded out, you have to wonder how many would take the money and run and how many would stay.

People are funny sometimes though.

[quote name='lokizz']that reminds me of that town somewhere in america that they sunk underwater when building a damn. i also think theres a place in tennessee where an earthquake cause a ton of land with homes in it to go underwater. theres alot of cool shit like that all over. always makes me think of world war z.[/QUOTE]

There are 4 towns in western MA that no longer exist and are now mostly under water because they needed another water supply for Boston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quabbin_Reservoir#Towns_discontinued

My grandfather was from Enfield.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It always makes me wonder how people just rebuild in an area they know is prone to flooding, like the one section of my hometown. People would always rebuild there and kept doing so. That is, until the federal government put up a ton of money to buy out homes in that section and then bulldozed them all.

Same deal with NO. If folks there had a chance to move somewhere where they wouldn't be flooded out, you have to wonder how many would take the money and run and how many would stay.

People are funny sometimes though.[/QUOTE]
What to hear something even more ridiculous? Earlier this year middle Tennessee had some really bad flooding. The former site of Opryland that now houses the Opry Mills mall was flooded. Now you might think they couldn't have predicted this would happen, excpet that it happened as recently as the 70s when Opryland was still there. There is news footage of the park underwater even. Who would have thought that an area next to a river might be prone to flooding.

[quote name='Clak']What to hear something even more ridiculous? Earlier this year middle Tennessee had some really bad flooding. The former site of Opryland that now houses the Opry Mills mall was flooded. Now you might think they couldn't have predicted this would happen, excpet that it happened as recently as the 70s when Opryland was still there. There is news footage of the park underwater even. Who would have thought that an area next to a river might be prone to flooding.[/QUOTE]

i know flooding happens in diff spots from time to time but that flood was some freak shit ive never seen flooding that bad in the time i lived in tn. chilhowee park near the knoxville zoo floods during heavy rains but with some places flooding can happen without much ill effect.

Well between all the videos and links in this thread I just wasted about an hour... Lots of interesting things to see though.

[quote name='lokizz']i know flooding happens in diff spots from time to time but that flood was some freak shit ive never seen flooding that bad in the time i lived in tn. chilhowee park near the knoxville zoo floods during heavy rains but with some places flooding can happen without much ill effect.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but in the case of Opry Mills, it's their own fault for building there. There are records going way back about the area flooding. I can't imagine how much the insurance must cost for businesses in the area.

I once tried to BS a college paper about Lil' Wayne and ended up finding out that people didn't want to inhabit most parts of New Orleans for the longest time.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well between all the videos and links in this thread I just wasted about an hour... Lots of interesting things to see though.[/QUOTE]

Same here!

[quote name='davo1224']I once tried to BS a college paper about Lil' Wayne and ended up finding out that people didn't want to inhabit most parts of New Orleans for the longest time.[/QUOTE]

Same here!

[quote name='Clak']Yeah, but in the case of Opry Mills, it's their own fault for building there. There are records going way back about the area flooding.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. They're talking about building a huge wall around the property. It's not a matter of if it will flood again, it's when. Still haven't heard what they're going to do with Opry Mills. I've heard they may just demolish the whole thing and start over. It's a shame, I loved walking around Opry Mills. Lots to do.

The Target store in Hermitage, TN is also built on a piece of land that is well known to flood very, very easily - that Target was closed after the flood for several months.

Cool thread! Reminds me of things like that town in PA that was abandoned due to underground coal fire that will continue for hundreds of years still.

[quote name='Nogib']Cool thread! Reminds me of things like that town in PA that was abandoned due to underground coal fire that will continue for hundreds of years still.[/QUOTE]
You mean Centralia? That's only about an hour or so from me. I've been there and there's not much to look at really. It's just one giant open field for the most part anymore, as most of the buildings have been demolished. The only semi interesting part is the closed section of Route 61 that was bypassed. There's a pretty big crack on the roadway where smoke/steam comes out of.

Aside from that it's pretty much a blah place to visit.:cry: I know this because I've been there about 2-3 times already.

[quote name='Scorch']Absolutely. They're talking about building a huge wall around the property. It's not a matter of if it will flood again, it's when. Still haven't heard what they're going to do with Opry Mills. I've heard they may just demolish the whole thing and start over. It's a shame, I loved walking around Opry Mills. Lots to do.

The Target store in Hermitage, TN is also built on a piece of land that is well known to flood very, very easily - that Target was closed after the flood for several months.[/QUOTE]
I didn't realize that, I used to spend lots of time in the Hermitage/Donelson area visiting family, but I've only been to that shopping center once. Didn't know it was prone to flooding.

this reminds me of a coast to coast a story someone told me about a while back.

this married couple were driving around on vacation near where that big oil spil happened recently. they came across this town and decided to stop there to rest and get something to eat.

they pulled up to a restaurant and went inside and were surprised that nobody was there. there were cars out front parked and even food on plates on some of the tables but no sign of anyone there. kinda like everyone left in a hurry.

they went around to some of the other nearby businesses to see if maybe smeone could be found there but no matter where they went they couldnt find anyone.

they left that area and wound up in a residental area and as they were driving through they happened to notice what looked like an old woman working in her garden.

they stopped in the street and callled out to her but she never stopped what she was doing and didnt look up. the husband decided to get out of the car and go up to her figuring she may have been hard of hearing.

he walks up to the fence and calls out loudly to her and she continues to do what she was doing still not looking up. the old lady has her back to him so of course he tries to move around so he can look her in the face and with every move he makes to do so the old woman moves her body so he cant.

his wife got really freaked out by that point and yelled for him to get back in the car so they can leave and they left.

they said that the oil company supposedly bought that town but to what end who knows.

That video depresses me... The last time I went to New Orleans I drove by it... There have been lots of rumors of redevelopment, I was certain about a year ago that a deal was going to be made involving Nickelodeon and another company to develop it into a theme/water park... while fixing up some of the remaining rides

I really want to get the chance to ride Mega Zeph again (that is the huge coaster in the video)... Had seasons passes to it the year they switched over from being Jazzland (which I went to) and being a Six Flags park...

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Man... those pictures of Tyson's house are fascinating. How is all of that stuff still there? You would think someone would have looted that joint by now.[/QUOTE]

I've come to the conclusion that when there are abandoned buildings/areas like all of these, the people who live by it are quick to act when they see anything out of the ordinary.

[quote name='lokizz']this reminds me of a coast to coast a story someone told me about a while back.

this married couple were driving around on vacation near where that big oil spil happened recently. they came across this town and decided to stop there to rest and get something to eat.

they pulled up to a restaurant and went inside and were surprised that nobody was there. there were cars out front parked and even food on plates on some of the tables but no sign of anyone there. kinda like everyone left in a hurry.

they went around to some of the other nearby businesses to see if maybe smeone could be found there but no matter where they went they couldnt find anyone.

they left that area and wound up in a residental area and as they were driving through they happened to notice what looked like an old woman working in her garden.

they stopped in the street and callled out to her but she never stopped what she was doing and didnt look up. the husband decided to get out of the car and go up to her figuring she may have been hard of hearing.

he walks up to the fence and calls out loudly to her and she continues to do what she was doing still not looking up. the old lady has her back to him so of course he tries to move around so he can look her in the face and with every move he makes to do so the old woman moves her body so he cant.

his wife got really freaked out by that point and yelled for him to get back in the car so they can leave and they left.

they said that the oil company supposedly bought that town but to what end who knows.[/QUOTE]

Um... WTF?

bread's done
Back