Virtua Fighter 4: Evo

RandomNPC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I havent played a fighting game in a while so Im thinking of getting this game. Ive heard a lot of good things about this game and the cheap price helps too. Im just wondering, should I get this game or something else like Tekken 5, or Soul Caliber 2, and how long is the learning curve with VF4 evo?

[quote name='RandomNPC']I havent played a fighting game in a while so Im thinking of getting this game. Ive heard a lot of good things about this game and the cheap price helps too. Im just wondering, should I get this game or something else like Tekken 5, or Soul Caliber 2, and how long is the learning curve with VF4 evo?[/QUOTE]

Virtua Fighter is the most technical of the three games. You can button mash a bit, but more than the others it really requires learning one character really well. It's a phenomenal game, and I recommend it highly.

If you want something easier to get into, pick-up Soul Calibur 2. In fact, you should get it regardless because it is one fo the best fighting games available. It's a little more forgiving for button mashing, but rewards learning.

Tekken 5 is, well, another Tekken, IMO. It's good, but it doesn't compare to the other 2 in terms of control and fluidity.

Honestly, you can pick up SC2 and VF4:Evo for $20 each new, and probably $10-15 used, so I would recommend getting both. I've put probably equal time into both games and love them both equally.

[quote name='RandomNPC']I havent played a fighting game in a while so Im thinking of getting this game. Ive heard a lot of good things about this game and the cheap price helps too. Im just wondering, should I get this game or something else like Tekken 5, or Soul Caliber 2, and how long is the learning curve with VF4 evo?[/QUOTE]

VF4: evo is a good game if you put your time and energy into it...if you are only gonna play it now and then and not bother to learn the ins and outs, i wouldn't bother...if you want a just pick up and play fighter, get sould calibur 2...

Tekken 5 is kinda inbetween

I only have 1 controller so, which game would be the best for 1 player only? Im leaning towards VF, since it has a lot of unlockables.

I would pick up all three to tell you the truth. They each offer their own bit to the fighting game genre. Tekken 5 is my favorite Tekken in a long time. Probably since 3 since 4 was just atrocious. The developers truly brought the game and the gameplay back, and it has regained its fluidity over its predecessor.

SC2 is probably hands down my absolute favorite fighter this gen. I've put 60 hours into the game at home and then countless hours at the arcade building multiple characters. I just love the move system and other than VF4, it seems to me to be the most balanced fighter of them all.

VF4 is just hands down gorgeous and is simply a great game. There is a great deal of depth to the game and you can't go into it simply thinking that you are going to be able to beat anyone at the arcades or for that matter, even some of the characters in the regular console version. It's tough, but it is well worth it. It also has a great fluidity to the game and everything seemingly clicks in it. It all works for it, but again, I cannot reiterate this enough, be prepared to put in a lot of hours and practice if you plan on bein any good in it. You cannot button smash whatsoever in it, well you can, but it will get you no where. The game can sometimes make you feel annoyed and aggravated since you will continuously try to defeat a person, but they always just have that hair above you.

Overall, if you are looking for something just for fun or just a fighter that you can pick up and play and be alright in without any practice, I'd recommend going with Tekken 5 or SC2, but if you want real depth and difficulty, go for VF4.

[quote name='RandomNPC']I only have 1 controller so, which game would be the best for 1 player only?[/QUOTE]

Any of them. VF4 has an interesting mode where you play against the PC controlled characters based on the best players in Japan. Pretty neat. SC2 has Weapon Maste r mode, which forces you to win in all kinds of situations with different limitations or handicaps. And Tekken is just Tekken.

VF4 will reward you, as I said, for playing one character and really learning it. SO if you're planning on spending time with it and really taking the time to practice, VF4 is the way to go.

[quote name='RandomNPC']I only have 1 controller so, which game would be the best for 1 player only? Im leaning towards VF, since it has a lot of unlockables.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, if you plan to put in the time to really be any good in VF4, then go for it, otherwise it will probably just frustrate you. I'd go for a game in between VF4 and Tekken for you, and just say get SC2. You'll thank me later;) It has a great Weapons Master Mode where you go through various missions obtaining gold and experience with which you will use to unlock a whole slew of weapons, costumes, characters, etc.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Maybe he wants a 3D fighter ;)[/QUOTE]

2d > 3d

for me at least ;)

i just dont like the whole sidestepping thing in 3d fighters...either block the attack or parry it, i say :p

[quote name='swetooth9']2d > 3d

for me at least ;)

i just dont like the whole sidestepping thing in 3d fighters...either block the attack or parry it, i say :p[/QUOTE]

While I like both 2D and 3D, how can you not enjoy the satisfaction of sidestepping a punch and then slamming a solid kick into their gut?

All this talk of VF4 got me wanting to play it. Holy CRAP am I rusty. It took me over 16 minutes to get to the end, and I got whupped by the true final boss.

All you need to know is that Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution is the greatest fighting game ever crafted. The gameplay is virtually perfect. I love the 3 button set up, since it focuses more on combinations of moves then having a bunch of moves for each character you'd never use. And it doesn't overwhelm you with pre-dialed combos and too many buttons (like tekken, yuck). Easy to pick up and play, but impossible to master.

It's also very easy to get into. I was up to 5th dan by day 3 in that game, it had taught me so well (not to say it was easy, i just pumped hours upon hours into it each day).

[quote name='SilverPaw750']All you need to know is that Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution is the greatest fighting game ever crafted. The gameplay is virtually perfect. I love the 3 button set up, since it focuses more on combinations of moves then having a bunch of moves for each character you'd never use. And it doesn't overwhelm you with pre-dialed combos and too many buttons (like tekken, yuck). Easy to pick up and play, but impossible to master.

It's also very easy to get into. I was up to 5th dan by day 3 in that game, it had taught me so well (not to say it was easy, i just pumped hours upon hours into it each day).[/QUOTE]

i'm sorry, but Street Fighter 3: Third Strike takes the crown of "greatest fighting game ever crafted"...vf4: evo is good though...real good...just not greatest

get yourself a Best Buy $5 off coupon and get VF4:Evo for $5. It's disgustingly cheap....though I would drop $50 for it if i had to.

[quote name='RandomNPC']I checked my Best Buy a few days ago, and I didnt see any VF4s in the bargain bin. How much is SC2 anyway?[/QUOTE]

SC2 is about 20 bucks...

btw, i updated the link to the video a few posts up...it should be able to be downloaded much quicker now :)

[quote name='swetooth9']SC2 is about 20 bucks...

btw, i updated the link to the video a few posts up...it should be able to be downloaded much quicker now :)[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing that video a while back. Quite impressive. But I still don't have a problem with sidestepping ;)

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I remember seeing that video a while back. Quite impressive. But I still don't have a problem with sidestepping ;)[/QUOTE]

:razz:

If you have no idea how any of them play, and new to 3D fighters in general I don't think VF4 would be a good choice. Even though I agree it's a great game, the learning curve is even greater. Most likely you'll give up, I've heard to many stories about this happening to people. But for $20, you can't loose, and I'm sure if you don't like it you'll have no problem trading it here.

Go with Tekken 5, or wait for SC3, it's a safe bet.

[quote name='swetooth9']i'm sorry, but Street Fighter 3: Third Strike takes the crown of "greatest fighting game ever crafted"...vf4: evo is good though...real good...just not greatest[/QUOTE]
Really, I was referring to 3D fighters as that seemed to be the topic. Greatest 2D fighter would either be SFIII or GGX2#Reload. Both are awesome :D

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']If you have no idea how any of them play, and new to 3D fighters in general I don't think VF4 would be a good choice. Even though I agree it's a great game, the learning curve is even greater. Most likely you'll give up, I've heard to many stories about this happening to people. But for $20, you can't loose, and I'm sure if you don't like it you'll have no problem trading it here.

Go with Tekken 5, or wait for SC3, it's a safe bet.[/QUOTE]

Im looking for something to tide me over until Resident Evil 4 comes out in Oct., so I have a lot of time. Anyway for $5, it doesnt really matter.

Look at the people discussing fighters in here, but never posting in the fighter thread. You guys suck.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Really, I was referring to 3D fighters as that seemed to be the topic. Greatest 2D fighter would either be SFIII or GGX2#Reload. Both are awesome :D[/QUOTE]

:roll:

I bought VF4:Evo for $20 when it first came out in 2003 and I still play it til today. It's definitely an easy game to pick up but impossible to master. I'm not a VF fan before VF4:Evo. If you somehow can get the game for $5, then that's the best $5 you've ever spent. Or the best $20 if you bought them when they first came out.

Soul Calibur II PS2 is 5.00, or 9.99 for the Xbox version at Toys R Us

Also, today's the last day at K-Mart to try to find it for 9.99 on all three systems.

VF4:EVO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All other 3D fighters (and better than a lot of 2D fighters too, all IMO of course....).

[quote name='The VGM']Look at the people discussing fighters in here, but never posting in the fighter thread. You guys suck.[/QUOTE]

Great, VGM has to take a crap in this thread too.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']...? :|[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Greatest 2D fighter would either be SFIII or GGX2#Reload.[/QUOTE]

Don't spew your dirty lies and throw this guy off track.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Great, VGM has to take a crap in this thread too.[/QUOTE]

I stopped posting in the fighter thread and now it's dead. You should thank me for talking shit.

[quote name='whoknows']VF4:EVO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All other 3D fighters (and better than a lot of 2D fighters too, all IMO of course....).[/QUOTE]

i agree with this...but of couse i have to also put out that SF3:TS >>>> all 2d & 3d fighters :D (IMO of course)

[quote name='swetooth9']i agree with this...but of couse i have to also put out that SF3:TS >>>> all 2d & 3d fighters :D (IMO of course)[/QUOTE]

roflcopter

Ok... since this is a new fighter thread I must again inform everyone of our little VGM problem.. Just ignore the troll and he'll go away. Thanks.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Erm...please name some better 2D fighters? :|[/QUOTE]

First off you aren't even mentioning the best Guilty Gear. 2D fighters that are better than SF3? How much time you got buddy?

[quote name='PhrostByte']Ok... since this is a new fighter thread I must again inform everyone of our little VGM problem.. Just ignore the troll and he'll go away. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

fuck outta here, all you do is feed the fire. Don't even talk like you have any input, the only time you post in the fighter thread is when you are responding to something I said.

VF4:Evo will definitely keep you busy, if it's replay value you want in a fighter. I have only spent time on one character (Goh) in the RPG mode, that's 40+ hours right there, and I still am not good enough to be consistently good against the top AI. Also Training Mode is a must, don't ignore it. In fact, start at Training Mode, then try Arcade, RPG, etc...

I can't wait to see how the console VF5 will be...

[quote name='The VGM']First off you aren't even mentioning the best Guilty Gear. 2D fighters that are better than SF3? How much time you got buddy?[/QUOTE]
I have lots of time. Please list them all. :roll:

Get VF4:Evo RIGHT NOW. Wait for Soul Calibur III to come out. It has a much deeper single player aspect than SCII. Also wait for Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection. It should be out in the next 6-8 months or so.

And just ignore VGM. Nobody likes him and everyone wishes he would just go away.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']I have lots of time. Please list them all. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, thats a good start for you.

[quote name='The VGM']Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, X-Men vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter, thats a good start for you.[/QUOTE]
Okay, all of those are good fighters. I've never played Alpha 2, but I've played all the rest.

Alpha 3 - Great, but not as deep as SFIII

MvC, XvSF, MSHvSF are all a crapload of fun, really flashy, and a blast to watch and play, but none of them are anywhere as deep or balanced as SFIII.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Okay, all of those are good fighters. I've never played Alpha 2, but I've played all the rest.

Alpha 3 - Great, but not as deep as SFIII

MvC, XvSF, MSHvSF are all a crapload of fun, really flashy, and a blast to watch and play, but none of them are anywhere as deep or balanced as SFIII.[/QUOTE]

Who gives a fuck about balanced, are you some Evo nerd? Fun is what matters. I don't give a fuck about picking a god tier character, playing mad serious against some guy from Japan with sweat beadin down his face. All those are more fun and entertaining then 3. It doesn't even have Dan, that shit automatically blows. Thanks for comin out.

[quote name='The VGM']Who gives a fuck about balanced, are you some Evo nerd? Fun is what matters. I don't give a fuck about picking a god tier character, playing mad serious against some guy from Japan with sweat beadin down his face. All those are more fun and entertaining then 3. It doesn't even have Dan, that shit automatically blows. Thanks for comin out.[/QUOTE]
Uh...Dan sucks. Not as much as Charlie, but he still sucks. :|

[quote name='The VGM']I'm a big blubbering vagina that is packed to the brim with fucking bullshit[/QUOTE]
What the fuck gives you the right to "fix" my posts? Go fuck off you asshole. I'll fix your fucking post :oldman: :rofl:

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Uh...Dan sucks. Not as much as Charlie, but he still sucks. :|[/QUOTE]

total blasphemy. dan requires precise timing and charlie is a total bad-ass ... in the right hands mind you (not mine, but i'm getting there)

[quote name='SilverPaw750']What the fuck gives you the right to "fix" my posts? Go fuck off you asshole. I'll fix your fucking post :oldman: :rofl:[/QUOTE]

You're a douchebag (probably explains your username). Read what gigan said.

[quote name='The VGM']I'm a ginormous douchebag who has sand in his vagina.[/QUOTE]
1) My username? I registered this fucking badboy almost two years ago. It was the SN I used for everything then. I've since moved on, but don't want to make a new account. Look for me around other places with the SN Mr Durp, or Chlamydia (for Counter Strike) or maximan for various gaming forums, or splitmetaphor for Gamespot (that ones an oldie too :roll: ). Shut the fuck up.

2)Don't even talk about my username/account anyways, look at you...what are you, some kind of fucking gangster? ROFL :rofl:

3) Okay, I read it again. Now what?

bread's done
Back