Vita being abandoned in the US?

boostlag

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Looking for some good black friday deals for a vita.  There are plenty of xbox and ps3 black friday bundles in early printed ads but zero vita bundles.  Also amazon is no longer carrying PS Vita.  Whats the deal?

I wasn't aware that Amazon wasn't selling it anymore... that's interesting. I wonder if it is temporary or permanent. 

Regardless I have a feeling the PlayStation 4 is going to dominated the market in regards to raw sales. So if Sony wants to continue with PS4 / Vita integration then the device will continue to have a long life. If not that its future is a lot more uncertain.

I could see (I think someone already mentioned this) a $500 PS4 sku that contains both a base PS4 and Vita in the near future.

when amazon runs out of stock they still keep the placeholder and says out of stock more on the way.  Its no longer available for either walking dead or wifi versions.  Also strange how black friday ads don't have a vita or a bundles they usually have every year.

I'm guessing this has to do with clearing out the original OLED models and not having made plans to bring the Vita 2000 over to the west yet.

Depending on your viewpoint, SCEA never supported the Vita to begin with.  You can't abandon something you never supported. ;)

With the release of God Eater 2, combine sales for Vita consoles beat 3DS sales just last week.  It may also have been pushed up by the Vita TV release.  3DS was still the single best selling console, but it finally saw competition.  But in the US the Vita is pretty dead.  But maybe they'll bring God Eater 2 over soon?

The only Black friday Vita bundle I've seen is for Gamestop. $200 with the walking dead game digital copy  and 4gb memory card.

even if sony were bringing the new version of the vita, it should be on the print ads.  Looking at best buy inventory the vita is being dried up here in DC area and not being replenished.

It's a shame that it never sold well in the US because it's a great piece of hardware. The lack of software early on hurt but as a late adopter (I got my Vita in February) there has been plenty of great games to play. I love the remote play feature. It works well for me (I know lots of folks are having trouble with it). I would be disappointed if Sony stopped supporting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
even if sony were bringing the new version of the vita, it should be on the print ads. Looking at best buy inventory the vita is being dried up here in DC area and not being replenished.
Could mean new bundles, new hardware, or one of many other things. I wouldn't expect them to put it in the print ad until whatever is on the horizon is actually here.

Could mean new bundles, new hardware, or one of many other things. I wouldn't expect them to put it in the print ad until whatever is on the horizon is actually here.

i would think the new bundles would be on the leaked black friday ads just like the ps3 last of us, batman origins bundle and halo4/tombraider 360 bundles.

i would think the new bundles would be on the leaked black friday ads just like the ps3 last of us, batman origins bundle and halo4/tombraider 360 bundles.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not talking about bundles for Black Friday; I'm talking about bundles sometime in the near future but not like next week.

It is possible that Sony is up to something (it has been reported several times that a PS4/Vita bundle is on the horizon) but not quite ready to ship units and because they have something planned they have slowed or stopped the production of all current vita skus (thus why you don't see stores replenishing)

I'm guessing this has to do with clearing out the original OLED models and not having made plans to bring the Vita 2000 over to the west yet.
The OLED modeled production probably stopped as soon as the 2000 is announced. Just wait for the 2000 LED model next year

But then you've got to choose USB + longer battery vs. better resolution. I'm leaning towards the resolution.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not talking about bundles for Black Friday; I'm talking about bundles sometime in the near future but not like next week.

It is possible that Sony is up to something (it has been reported several

times that a PS4/Vita bundle is on the horizon) but not quite ready to ship units and because they have something planned they have slowed or stopped the production of all current vita skus (thus why you don't see stores replenishing)
I get you but seems like running out of vitas to sell during holiday sound like a bad business decision.

Sony has never had truly great success with their handhelds so it's not surprising. Nintendo just has too much of a dominant hold on the handheld market; they have for years and have proven they won't be beat in this department. Not calling the PSP or Vita failures but I've always felt Sony has tried too hard to push them considering their direct competition practically has a monopoly on the market.

Sony has never had truly great success with their handhelds so it's not surprising. Nintendo just has too much of a dominant hold on the handheld market; they have for years and have proven they won't be beat in this department. Not calling the PSP or Vita failures but I've always felt Sony has tried too hard to push them considering their direct competition practically has a monopoly on the market.
I could be wrong but I thought the PSP did extremely well for Sony. Not Nintendo DS well but still very well. It killed in Japan (IIRC)

Yeah, PSP sold over 80 million units worldwide. Hardly what anyone could call a failure. Sure it was less than the juggernaut of the DS but almost every console is in comparison to that thing. Fact of the matter is not only is it the most popular non-Nintendo handheld console of all time but it's also one of the top selling home or portable consoles of all time (it's sold roughly the same as 360 and PS3).

Thank you to whomever posted about the Vita burn in.  I wanted the better screen, though the new Vita with the longer battery life and USB charger really did appeal.  But the nicer screen got me to order one of the OLED 3G/Wifi.  I never heard about the burn-in issue until a CAG post here (can't remember the thread from last week).  I quickly Googled it and WOW!  Seems the issue I never heard about is really an issue.  So thanks!  I'm just going to wait.  It would definitely be an issue for me as that has always been a pet peeve of mine.  Probably wouldn't be an issue for everyone but it was exactly the thing to change my mind.

If Sony really wanted to sell the Vita they'd also change the new model to accept SDHC memory.

What will the price be? Walking Dead Vita was just on sale for $10 (or $3 for PS3 ver), 2 of those games were/are on PS+, and Sly would be better to get cross-buy version for PS3. Doesn't seem like a good bundle.

Last year the bundle (2 games, white color, 3 month PS+) was $180 to compare.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/23/amazon-selling-180-vita-bundles-with-assassins-creed-3-libera/

Amazon is selling the Crystal White Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation bundle – with extras including a copy of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, $10 off Assassin's Creed 3 for PS3 or Xbox 360, and 3 months of PlayStation Plus – for a special price of $179.99, $70 cheaper than the base Vita bundle.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back