Vizio and their BS guarantee

MrDemonicAngel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
i bought a Vizio with "NO BRIGHT PIXEL GUARANTEE" a year and 1 month ago...

i got 3 pixel locks as of today...

Vizio does not guarantee bright pixel lock after warranty period...

in other words....they only have the 1 year warranty and no other guarantee besides that...

dont be fooled like me with the "NO BRIGHT PIXEL GUARANTEE"

besides my rant....anyone suggest any other lcd hdtv set? 1080P....with high contrast ratio and under $2000 .... 42"-50"

i was looking at the Philips 42" 42PFL7403D 1080P....any feedbacks?

you know, you could have bought an extended warranty from where you bought it when you paid for it. Don't see how their guarantee is BS as it went to its conclusion without problems

That's why I bought it at Costco, free warranty and everything I hear is that they handle things very well (unlike trying to use my Circuit city laptop warranty where I had to call three times because a guy said he was sending me a mailing label and never did).

Costco's warranty on TV's only extends out to a year beyond the manufacturer's warranty, so it's only 2 years total. Too much abuse with the people bringing back TV's for "upgrades" multiple months/years past the purchase date.

The new line of Panasonic 1080p plasmas has a few models in that price range and are FAR, FAR, FAR superior to anything from Vizio. They are significantly cheaper than the Pioneer Kuro lineup and actually perform nearly as well as they do in most benchmark tests.

While I am aware that there are defects present in every brand of television, the only brand in which I have never personally seen a significant defect is Sony. Performance among the brands is debatable (I have a Sony and the color is just a fraction off), but Sony has the best build quality in my opinion. I have personally seen one Samsung LCD with significant backlight leakage and I have owned three Vizio LCDs that all had stuck pixels and minor backlight leakage. My Sony has the most uniform black I have ever seen on an LCD.

I have a 40" Sony S3000 that I got for $950 at Circuit City last month. My friend was able to get an open-box 46" Sony W3000 for $1700 at CC recently as well.

I would disagree with Dan, I have found many off brand LCD's to be near or equal to in build quality than Sony's with a fraction of the premium. Olevia has served me well for over two years now and before that Mitsubishi and Samsung units have served me well for over 8 years. Every man to his own though.

[quote name='redline']Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there over 2 million pixels for a 1080P display? How are three pixels even noticeable?[/quote]

my current vizio with the problem is actually only a 720P...and when u see a pink dot on the screen...it actually is quite noticeable...

[quote name='fart_bubble']you know, you could have bought an extended warranty from where you bought it when you paid for it. Don't see how their guarantee is BS as it went to its conclusion without problems[/quote]

my problem isnt with an extended warranty...my problem lies in the fact that they specifically says "NO BRIGHT PIXEL GUARANTEE" and yet I still got it...

[quote name='shrike4242']Costco's warranty on TV's only extends out to a year beyond the manufacturer's warranty, so it's only 2 years total. Too much abuse with the people bringing back TV's for "upgrades" multiple months/years past the purchase date.[/quote]

I purchased mine at Sam's Club...would u happen to know if what their extended warranty for members are? I tried calling them but they wont give me a straight answer nor does it say on the website...

I heard from some people that Sam's Club has a 100% satifaction guarantee as long as you never have a gap in the membership...wondering if thats true...

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']I purchased mine at Sam's Club...would u happen to know if what their extended warranty for members are? I tried calling them but they wont give me a straight answer nor does it say on the website...

I heard from some people that Sam's Club has a 100% satifaction guarantee as long as you never have a gap in the membership...wondering if thats true...[/quote]Sam's Club doesn't extend the warranty like Costco does, though they have an extended warranty for purchase that extends it out. At least, that's what I remember the last time I looked at a TV purchase from them.

I'd suggest calling them again and trying to get someone else and see if they'll do something for you.

[quote name='russellgreco']I would disagree with Dan, I have found many off brand LCD's to be near or equal to in build quality than Sony's with a fraction of the premium. Olevia has served me well for over two years now and before that Mitsubishi and Samsung units have served me well for over 8 years. Every man to his own though.[/QUOTE]

I would disagree with greco. I have found many off brand LCD's to be no where near the quality of a Sony. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']Sam's Club doesn't extend the warranty like Costco does, though they have an extended warranty for purchase that extends it out. At least, that's what I remember the last time I looked at a TV purchase from them.

I'd suggest calling them again and trying to get someone else and see if they'll do something for you.[/quote]

k..thanks...

well...it aint the end of the world if i cant get it replaced but...it still sucks...to spend that much money then have to deal with this shit so soon....

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']my current vizio with the problem is actually only a 720P...and when u see a pink dot on the screen...it actually is quite noticeable...

my problem isnt with an extended warranty...my problem lies in the fact that they specifically says "NO BRIGHT PIXEL GUARANTEE" and yet I still got it...

I purchased mine at Sam's Club...would u happen to know if what their extended warranty for members are? I tried calling them but they wont give me a straight answer nor does it say on the website...

I heard from some people that Sam's Club has a 100% satifaction guarantee as long as you never have a gap in the membership...wondering if thats true...[/QUOTE]

I sell TV's at Sam's Club. You wouldn't believe how many shitty old as TV's and stuff we are forced to take back because of our 100% Satisfaction Guarenteed. Right behind the membership desk it states that right on a sign. I'm pretty sure if you went there they would take it back. Just make a case a little and if you have to talk to a manger. Also let them know you just want to exchange it out and not get a refund. This is YMMV depending on the Manager. Good Luck.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I sell TV's at Sam's Club. You wouldn't believe how many shitty old as TV's and stuff we are forced to take back because of our 100% Satisfaction Guarenteed. Right behind the membership desk it states that right on a sign. I'm pretty sure if you went there they would take it back. Just make a case a little and if you have to talk to a manger. Also let them know you just want to exchange it out and not get a refund. This is YMMV depending on the Manager. Good Luck.[/quote]Duh. Should've asked you about it. :dunce:

So, in this case, it's YMMV, because it's beyond the 30 days return period as well as beyond the warranty?

Doing it as an exchange might get them to do it instead of a refund, as that keeps the money at Sam's. Makes sense to me.

[quote name='shrike4242']Duh. Should've asked you about it. :dunce:

So, in this case, it's YMMV, because it's beyond the 30 days return period as well as beyond the warranty?

Doing it as an exchange might get them to do it instead of a refund, as that keeps the money at Sam's. Makes sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Sam's really doesn't have any return policy anymore. It used to be 90 Days on Electronics and 6 months on computers. They took those signs down from my store after the remodel and replaced them with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. I work there and I really don't know what exactly our return policy is. I usually will take anything back to make the member happy.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I usually will take anything back to make the member happy.[/quote]

That's what I like to see, members being satisfied.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Sam's really doesn't have any return policy anymore. It used to be 90 Days on Electronics and 6 months on computers. They took those signs down from my store after the remodel and replaced them with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. I work there and I really don't know what exactly our return policy is. I usually will take anything back to make the member happy.[/quote]I'll have to keep that in mind when I go TV hunting later this year.

sonys are so freakin expensive. i was looking at a 37" vizio from costco, because they extend the warranty to two years. do you think that's enough assurance? i'm kind of worried about buying an off-brand.

[quote name='traininvain']sonys are so freakin expensive. i was looking at a 37" vizio from costco, because they extend the warranty to two years. do you think that's enough assurance? i'm kind of worried about buying an off-brand.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that an brand that uses LaDainian Tomlinson in their ads is suddenly "off-brand." :lol:

Just an funny observation that is all.

Hey pimpinc, got a question for you.

My cousin bought a 42" plasma around 99-2000 from Costco and is now giving it to me. He said he doesnt have the receipt anymore but he said if I was able to bring it back there, they can scan the barcode or give me credit for whatever he paid when he first bought it. He said he remembered paying around $1999 and said if they were able to take it back, I could basically get a new tv for it.

I know you dont work at Costco but they are pretty similar. Think it will work?

[quote name='TheRock88']Hey pimpinc, got a question for you.

My cousin bought a 42" plasma around 99-2000 from Costco and is now giving it to me. He said he doesnt have the receipt anymore but he said if I was able to bring it back there, they can scan the barcode or give me credit for whatever he paid when he first bought it. He said he remembered paying around $1999 and said if they were able to take it back, I could basically get a new tv for it.

I know you dont work at Costco but they are pretty similar. Think it will work?[/QUOTE]

Wait he bought in 2000?

[quote name='TheRock88']Hey pimpinc, got a question for you.

I know you dont work at Costco but they are pretty similar. Think it will work?[/quote]This is why they eliminated the "unlimited" warranty program on TV's.

I think they'll tell you to get lost and ask you not to come back if you try this.

Why don't you call them and see what they say?

[quote name='shrike4242']This is why they eliminated the "unlimited" warranty program on TV's.

I think they'll tell you to get lost and ask you not to come back if you try this.

Why don't you call them and see what they say?[/quote]

Yep.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Hmm...

I just bought a Vizio 32 inch 720p Plasma TV.[/QUOTE]

*hijacks topic*

So did I. When you look close to the TV do you see some lines on TV through component on your 360? Or do you have HDMI? I noticed them through component, but on VGA they are non existent but the picture looks more washed out.

I am confused on what to get for a warranty. I bought mine at Wal-Mart (hint discount. hint) and they have two warranties for two years: One for $118.88 Plasma and $58.88 for the price range. Im guessing the $118.88 is in house and the other isn't.

Otherwise my Vizio 32 Plasma rocks for games, no blur shit that I see on LCDS. But for $520 I can only ask for so much. Although like others I'm worried in the long run, because most Vizio LCDS have been known to work fine but the giant/52 inch plasmas (some) had problems after a year... after their warranty ran out.

Also you should be able to get 1080i and p on your 360 with that. Atleast I do.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']My 27 inch SD tube television will NEVER have dead pixels![/quote]

I have a 20 inch Panasonic which works good enough for my PS3 and Xbox, so I'm happy. That's the MAIN thing stopping me from upgrading to an HDtv, is the fact that alot of LCD models get stuck pixels and other fun crap like that. To me, if I'm paying anything over $200 for a tv, that shit better work like the day I bought it for 20 years at least.

I just got rid of a Sharp 20" sdtv about maybe 3-4 years or so ago. It lasted around 15-16 years before it started getting picture problems(sometimes the screen was too dark to see, other times it was bright enough to blind ya).

Best of luck with your problem though, OP.....hope it works out for you...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I have a 20 inch Panasonic which works good enough for my PS3 and Xbox, so I'm happy. That's the MAIN thing stopping me from upgrading to an HDtv, is the fact that alot of LCD models get stuck pixels and other fun crap like that. To me, if I'm paying anything over $200 for a tv, that shit better work like the day I bought it for 20 years at least.

I just got rid of a Sharp 20" sdtv about maybe 3-4 years or so ago. It lasted around 15-16 years before it started getting picture problems(sometimes the screen was too dark to see, other times it was bright enough to blind ya).

Best of luck with your problem though, OP.....hope it works out for you...[/QUOTE]

Stuck and Dead pixels are very uncommon in most TV's. The TV's that I do see these in are mostly Sony's. You really shouldn't worry about it too much.

But there's also the price which annoys the piss out of me. With LCD and plasma tvs having been out as long as they have now, aside from a few models(some of which are display models or 'open box' ones)I don't see the prices going down at all on them.

I only need around a 20-32" tv and $700-1000 is a bit nutty of a price to pay for them if you ask me.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But there's also the price which annoys the piss out of me. With LCD and plasma tvs having been out as long as they have now, aside from a few models(some of which are display models or 'open box' ones)I don't see the prices going down at all on them.

I only need around a 20-32" tv and $700-1000 is a bit nutty of a price to pay for them if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I'm not surprised... I don't think brands like Olivia, Westinghouse, Vizio, etc. have much in terms of quality control.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']*hijacks topic*

So did I. When you look close to the TV do you see some lines on TV through component on your 360? Or do you have HDMI? I noticed them through component, but on VGA they are non existent but the picture looks more washed out.

I am confused on what to get for a warranty. I bought mine at Wal-Mart (hint discount. hint) and they have two warranties for two years: One for $118.88 Plasma and $58.88 for the price range. Im guessing the $118.88 is in house and the other isn't.

Otherwise my Vizio 32 Plasma rocks for games, no blur shit that I see on LCDS. But for $520 I can only ask for so much. Although like others I'm worried in the long run, because most Vizio LCDS have been known to work fine but the giant/52 inch plasmas (some) had problems after a year... after their warranty ran out.

Also you should be able to get 1080i and p on your 360 with that. Atleast I do.[/quote]

I got mine from Wal-Mart today for $547.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477433

The guy said as long as I hold onto the recipt I can get the extended warranty within the 90 day return window.

You know what, I am using component right now for my 360 and I did see those lines. I thought maybe my speakers were causing interference but I guess not. At anyrate, I have an Elite 360 and I thought an HDMI cable came with it, but maybe I imagined it.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm not surprised... I don't think brands like Olivia, Westinghouse, Vizio, etc. have much in terms of quality control.[/QUOTE]

We sell a ton of Vizio's. About a 4/5 : 1 Ratio to every Brand Name TV we sell. I barely hear anyone complain about Vizio's quality or reliability.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I got mine from Wal-Mart today for $547.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8477433

The guy said as long as I hold onto the recipt I can get the extended warranty within the 90 day return window.

You know what, I am using component right now for my 360 and I did see those lines. I thought maybe my speakers were causing interference but I guess not. At anyrate, I have an Elite 360 and I thought an HDMI cable came with it, but maybe I imagined it.[/QUOTE]

Try HDMI and tell me what you get. It seems like, however, the lines are flaw with the Vizio TV because I also had them on the Wii with component cables. From a distance however they become barely noticeable, and if they bother you a ton you can just go VGA... or HDMI?

Let me know what your going to do with the warranty or PM me. I am really interested because It's hard to find someone, especially on CAG, that has interest in the same TV. I can say the clarity/colors and the motion blur from LCD makes plasma the real keeper.

At Wal-Mart we also sell Vizio 3.5-4:1 over other brands. If Sony's were the same price they wouldn't have any competition but you get what you pay for.

[quote name='pimpinc333']We sell a ton of Vizio's. About a 4/5 : 1 Ratio to every Brand Name TV we sell. I barely hear anyone complain about Vizio's quality or reliability.[/QUOTE]

Budget brands are cheaper but they have to cut some corners in production, that's all I'm saying. It's not all about the badge with name brands.

We bought a new TV just yesterday, and my friend at Circuit City said that they see more returns on budget brands than they do on name brands but also said that Philips and LG were returned more than any other brand (including Vizios and Olivias).

To those of you about to make "hur, hur, hur you shop at Circuit Shitty?!" comments: yes, I shop at Circuit City. Mines not bad by any means.

I feel for you OP. I bought a Vizio from KMart with the infamous 20% off coupon last year. After 3 months two pixels died, right in the center. Vizio said they would replace it, but wanted me to pay to ship them the tv. That would have been $100. I said that I bought the tv for the value, and spending that amount on shipping negated the amount I saved on it. I did buy the extended KMart warranty, but that doesn't kick in until the 1 year warranty ends. At which point I'll see what KMart has to say about it. I'm hoping a new model.

Good luck OP. I thought I did my homework on Vizio, but I guess I got a bad egg. That being said though, it's only noticeable on a few screens, but for the amount you pay for a HDTV you'd expect a quality product.

I honestly don't have a problem with the quality of my Vizio lcd....picture looks great...sound just like any other lcd...is crap...

i was just suprised that they made a whole deal about the no bright pixel lock guarantee and it was all just talk....

thanks for your input pimpinc333...

i hope the manager at my sams isnt an ass....but as far as the 100% Banner goes...my sams took it down...

still debating whether i should try another vizio out...or a whole different brand...
as i said....i did like the picture quality....but i just wished the contrast ratio was a bit higher...and the pixel lock wouldnt happen....

hey Pimpinc333...1 more question....if they do accept my tv back and i get the same model...do i get a new receipt with the current date? or are they just gonna give back my old receipt? i'm guessing if i picked up a different unit i'll get a new receipt for the difference in cost...

Westinghouse, ILO, VIZIO, Polaroid, OLEVIA stay away with those brands appearing within the last 5 years. They are cheap but there are no parts to replace them with. Sony is the top of the line while Toshiba, Hitachi and Samsung do make RELIABLE TVs too. I heard Walmart get's lower end quality, cheaper parts when it comes to HDTVs.

[quote name='MrDemonicAngel']I honestly don't have a problem with the quality of my Vizio lcd....picture looks great...sound just like any other lcd...is crap...

i was just suprised that they made a whole deal about the no bright pixel lock guarantee and it was all just talk....

thanks for your input pimpinc333...

i hope the manager at my sams isnt an ass....but as far as the 100% Banner goes...my sams took it down...

still debating whether i should try another vizio out...or a whole different brand...
as i said....i did like the picture quality....but i just wished the contrast ratio was a bit higher...and the pixel lock wouldnt happen....

hey Pimpinc333...1 more question....if they do accept my tv back and i get the same model...do i get a new receipt with the current date? or are they just gonna give back my old receipt? i'm guessing if i picked up a different unit i'll get a new receipt for the difference in cost...[/QUOTE]

No Matter what you get you will get a New Receipt.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'll have to keep that in mind when I go TV hunting later this year.[/quote]

Gotta love Costco and Sams Club.

Once they took in a VCR and DVD Combo unit that broke on me 3 years after I bought it with no box or receipt!!!!

[quote name='CaoPi']Westinghouse, ILO, VIZIO, Polaroid, OLEVIA stay away with those brands appearing within the last 5 years. They are cheap but there are no parts to replace them with. Sony is the top of the line while Toshiba, Hitachi and Samsung do make RELIABLE TVs too. I heard Walmart get's lower end quality, cheaper parts when it comes to HDTVs.[/quote]

What about Emerson though, since I was looking at a 19-25" range tv and I've had nothing but good luck with Emerson products in the past. I think the whole reason people are buying the Westinghouse, Vizio and Olevias is that they're cheaper than the 'name brands' and actually I wouldn't doubt if one of them were an 'off brand' deal. I know the Akai big screens I found on clearance at Kmart over a year ago were made with Samsung parts, so you just never know really.

bread's done
Back