Walmart Black Friday leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say it's real:
You wanna get one of these on sale w/o fighting the huge mob?
Put it on layaway. Buy it on Friday, as long as it's still on sale, you'll get it for that price.
Great deals you can't get are those unadvertised ones, looking at you: Switch Doom & Diablo 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Switch is selling very well. They do not need to drop the price to sell it this holiday season. Sony and Microsoft are gearing up for their new consoles next year and will both likely have consoles for under $200 this Holiday season. I could see the Switch being dropped to $250 on Black Friday, but doubt we will see discounts (save maybe a doorbuster or two) for the Switch Lite. They are going to sell Switch consoles like mad this Christmas they have an incredible library currently.

The PS4 and Xbox One will do fine this Holiday, but I wouldn't imagine either will outsell the Switch.
I didn't say it's not selling well, I said it's not selling well enough to outpace the competition which is the point of market share. The advantage they have (had) is price-point. Imagine if Switch had debuted at $399 while Pro was still dominating. Think it would have done nearly as well as it has up to this point? Nope.

And don't say "well Switch has a different target audience with portability" because that's horseshit and if that market existed, PS4/X1 would have been dusted. The gaming market comes down to best bang for your buck and people are always going to go with the system that has the biggest catalogue of games appealing to them, at the best price-point.

I didn't say it's not selling well, I said it's not selling well enough to outpace the competition which is the point of market share. The advantage they have (had) is price-point. Imagine if Switch had debuted at $399 while Pro was still dominating. Think it would have done nearly as well as it has up to this point? Nope.

And don't say "well Switch has a different target audience with portability" because that's horseshit and if that market existed, PS4/X1 would have been dusted. The gaming market comes down to best bang for your buck and people are always going to go with the system that has the biggest catalogue of games appealing to them, at the best price-point.
Well you’re partly right, 60% of switch owners in Us have an Xbox or PS4: https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/05/07/npd-60-percent-switch-owners-ps4-xbox-one/

But that also means 30-40% don’t have an Xbox or PS4. That’s a sizable market imo, I think switch is around 15M in USA? That’s likely 6-7M then. Not small imo.

And I’m pretty sure switch has been outselling PS4 since at least mid to late 2018, and doubling Xbox one sales yearly since launch I believe. I believe switch is just below 40M now, will pass 40M during holidays, and Xbox One is barely above 40 (last I heard was around 41/43m)

So I think switch is outpacing PS4 slightly (like 18m vs 16-17m) and Xbox one by a lot (like 18m yearly vs 8M)

I'm going to laugh at this so hard when the only Nintendo hardware we see BF is 3DS/2DS stuff.... That is the only thing that wouldn't surprise me greatly!

Absolutely fake.

Black Friday is two things:
•A time for stores to clear their shelves of old products that won't move as well over the holidays
•A tool to get people to start "opening their wallets" for the season.

The "deals" here don't make financial sense from a retail perspective.

Console hardware is already sold at a near non-existent profit margin, this is why you only ever see older hardware go on actual "sale" below normal process (occasionally a 3+ year old system gets $10-20 off, it's it really not moving). Instead, you see pack-ins. Pack-ins are arranged through the manufacturer, and are typically included inside the console package (or in the notorious case of Nintendo, pre-installed on the hardware so that you can't trade with a friend or resell the game). You certainly aren't going to see a game system that's been out less than six months steeply discounted. You'd be lucky to see it bundled with a game at all this season. If they sell you a newly released system at a literal financial loss, at most you'll buy a couple discounted games too -you know, games that are already marked down at a loss to get you in the door. There has to be a logical profit point. And they've learned that people rushing to grab video game discounts generally aren't sticking around for much else.

And a PS4 for $150? Maybe the 'mini' model, next year. They aren't hurting to clear store shelves a year before the PS5 releases. Based on past generations, if anything they do that the year AFTER a new generation releases.

Somebody has way too much time on their hands and is pretty bad at Photoshop, and I'm looking at the OP on both counts -they brought this sad attempt in here after all.

And a PS4 for $150? Maybe the 'mini' model, next year. They aren't hurting to clear store shelves a year before the PS5 releases. Based on past generations, if anything they do that the year AFTER a new generation releases.
PS3 Slim was about this price with a packed in game before the PS4 launched. The purpose of discounting a system like this isn't to make money on the system it's to sell more games while there is still life in the system. People get a cheap system and buy a lot of games that they missed out on. It's a win for the publisher.

If anything the Switch is far too popular for this hefty a price cut for black friday... but they've done door buster deals on hardware before that were pretty fantastic... so I guess it's just a matter of probably under a month easy and we'll have the real ad to see what the prices are. I wouldn't be shocked to see deals on the Switch, PS4 and X1 systems... because again, it's about game sales.

I didn't say it's not selling well, I said it's not selling well enough to outpace the competition which is the point of market share.
It's long since past the PS4 (all models combined) in Japan and has been outselling the PS4 in the USA. Considering Pokemon is on the horizon, I expect we are about to get a huge influx of players. My bro, who I wouldn't call a gamer, is getting a lite simply because of Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

LOL just saw an article on Forbes citing this ad. What a fucking joke.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2019/10/22/walmart-black-friday-ad-leak-big-huge-deals-on-switch-xbox-and-ps4-but-be-careful/#1a9eb8451a45

I'm actually surprised that anyone is citing it without stating that I said it is an incomplete ad that should be taken with a grain of salt as it isn't confirmed as real or not.

This is journalism guys, taking pieces of information to go with articles but ignoring majority of what was presented.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2019/10/22/walmart-black-friday-ad-leak-big-huge-deals-on-switch-xbox-and-ps4-but-be-careful/#1a9eb8451a45

I'm actually surprised that anyone is citing it without stating that I said it is an incomplete ad that should be taken with a grain of salt as it isn't confirmed as real or not.

This is journalism guys, taking pieces of information to go with articles but ignoring majority of what was presented.
Surprised??? This is what news is nowadays..unverified, made up FAKE NEWS

Fake news...

....but good prices

Absolutely fake.

Black Friday is two things:
•A time for stores to clear their shelves of old products that won't move as well over the holidays
•A tool to get people to start "opening their wallets" for the season.

The "deals" here don't make financial sense from a retail perspective.

Console hardware is already sold at a near non-existent profit margin, this is why you only ever see older hardware go on actual "sale" below normal process (occasionally a 3+ year old system gets $10-20 off, it's it really not moving). Instead, you see pack-ins. Pack-ins are arranged through the manufacturer, and are typically included inside the console package (or in the notorious case of Nintendo, pre-installed on the hardware so that you can't trade with a friend or resell the game). You certainly aren't going to see a game system that's been out less than six months steeply discounted. You'd be lucky to see it bundled with a game at all this season. If they sell you a newly released system at a literal financial loss, at most you'll buy a couple discounted games too -you know, games that are already marked down at a loss to get you in the door. There has to be a logical profit point. And they've learned that people rushing to grab video game discounts generally aren't sticking around for much else.

Somebody has way too much time on their hands and is pretty bad at Photoshop, and I'm looking at the OP on both counts -they brought this sad attempt in here after all.
Sounds like someone who just bought a Switch for $300 and is going to rage when they go on sale for $100 less a month from now.

Notice none of these ads ever mention anything about how many will be in stock. When you consider the store may only have 20 units that will result in 200 people spending thanksgiving on the sidewalk, anything is possible.

Sounds like someone who just bought a Switch for $300 and is going to rage when they go on sale for $100 less a month from now.

Notice none of these ads ever mention anything about how many will be in stock. When you consider the store may only have 20 units that will result in 200 people spending thanksgiving on the sidewalk, anything is possible.
This was a doorbuster though it was a giveaway (Black Friday 2012). As with most stores Old Navy said it would be extremely limited. Bigger stores got 50 copies (those in the city), others got 10. Stores aren't joking when they say quantities are limited when it comes to doorbusters.

Even BestBuy with their yearly deal of having big HDTV's for $100 - $200+. Stores normally only get 6 of those.

OldNavy-2012-4.png

Last edited by a moderator:
14 minutes and one meme later, someone certainly seems to care . . .

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I think the Switch Lite will get a $25 gift card. We may see a one day special colored New 2DS XL for $150 with a game packed in. But, I doubt that we will see any crazy discounts on the Switch.

Forbes is one of those sites that allows a lot of people to blog. Their opinions are often a little off base. Definitely not to be taken as actual journalism, although confusing to the layman so I don’t know why they allow their reputation to be sullied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back