Walmart to buy back used games through vending machines

Seems interesting. It would be nice to get real money back instead of store credit like Gamestop. If they try to resell these games there's probably no chance I'd buy them. Without game cases, etc etc the quality of the titles is going to be shit. I don't think they're going to be the ones to slay Gamestop, but it is Wal-Mart. If they push this hard enough it could be turn out really good.

[quote name='CaptainPiracy']Well after reading all the replies, I think that
1. they wouldn't be that stupid to just give you the money
2. I would bet a credit / debit card is required
3. if not, you are going to recieve an unactivated walmart gift card/store credit that will activate when your game is verified, I'll bet it'll be a wally world gift card so you have spend the money there. I would hope they could give you price difference (cash would be lower TIV(probrably via VISA/MC gift credit card) gift card/wallycredit higher TIV)
4.Redbox Style Game rentals would rock..
5. Competition for your used games is a PLUS! Most places don't give a crap about manuals and stuff anyway.
6. Scratched games? sure.. they'll accept them but they keep the disc an cancel your credit I'd bet. or just remove a simple fee $1 or two... they will all be re-ground at the Wally World game buyback HQ.. heh.
7. Trade in movies is a joke.. tons of people buy them at ridiculous prices they sell them for next to nothing. That is CRAZY. It's got little replay value so, they get super cheap super fast.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I've never traded in movies unless I was getting at least somewhere near $5 or so PER movie and I never usually pay more than $4-5 in the first place.

There have been a few exceptions(Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, Transformers 1986 movie), but it's rare when I pay more than even $10 for a movie.

As for me, I still think WM is gonna be the same as(if not WORSE than)Gamestop on values, so I'll just continue to build my collection of games and keep everything I own for now.

I thought there was a slot to drop the empty cases/manuals in? I don't foresee Wal-Mart selling used games but you never know. Probably will end up renting them out like the Redbox if anything.

This is probally only going to rip people off, they can can send the games off to be refurbished and repackaged and then sells them as new, without the consumer being any the wiser.

[quote name='kurokubushi']This is probally only going to rip people off, they can can send the games off to be refurbished and repackaged and then sells them as new, without the consumer being any the wiser.[/QUOTE]

how are they going to do that without someone filing a class aciton lawsuit?

I added some important info from the Kotaku link so people don't keep asking the same questions that are already answered now.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I wonder if any condition is acceptable. If it is heavily scratched but works, missing manual etc.[/QUOTE]

Missing original disc... hell if its just going to give store credit, then why not put a blank disc in the case...

[quote name='Thomas96']Missing original disc... hell if its just going to give store credit, then why not put a blank disc in the case...[/QUOTE]

I've bought a supposedly new game from Walmart and ended up recieving a blank dvd inside the case. I was able to return it but I was pretty pissed.

[quote name='Darrith']I thought there was a slot to drop the empty cases/manuals in? I don't foresee Wal-Mart selling used games but you never know. Probably will end up renting them out like the Redbox if anything.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't doubt Wal-Mart taking a stab at used games. This is the same company that installed health clinics into it's food chain. Just what I want, someone with bronchitus in a food store going around touching produce, etc.

Anyway, we've got E-Play breathing down our backs at Neocrisis about the machine glitches so I'm going to ask our writer to go back to the kiosk and give it another shot. If all goes well, I'll report back here with the credit value and any more glitches. If anyone else is interested with finding a trading kiosk your way, you can visit https://www.e-play.com/ and type in your zip code.

:hot: On behalf of e-Play, I want to assure you that the new e-play Video Game Buy Back kiosks in Walmart have been stringently tested and do not, as erroneously stated, have “bugs.” In fact, we are very pleased with the early traffic counts, high number of trade transactions and amount of positive consumer feedback.
You can indeed trade in your PS2, PS3, X-Box, 360 and Wii games with ease and for highly competitive prices (up to $25 credit for in-demand games).
We would be happy to discuss the writer's experience via phone (866-602-6014), but we are confident we have identified the user error based upon the writer’s posting. Many retailers place a proprietary UPC sticker over a game’s original UPC code. If you peel back this sticker or open the game and remove the box art, you can easily access the original manufacturer’s UPC code and avoid the issues encountered by the original writer.
There are more than 4,000 games titles in our database, including each of the games you mention in your posting: Final Fantasy XII, Godfather II, Mirror's Edge, Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando, and Burnout 3: Takedown.
The following link explains the trade-in process: https://www.e-play.com/Home/TradeWalkthrough
Regarding security issues, e-Play DOES verify the authenticity of the discs traded. A valid driver's license is required for all trade-in activity and the kiosk takes a photo of each user. Credit is applied to the customer's credit card within a few business days.
Please take the time to revisit our kiosk and feel free to contact us directly with your feedback ([email protected]). Customer feedback is always appreciated as it steers us toward improvements that ensure an ideal user experience.
Thanks and happy gaming!

I noticed it says Massachusetts, Next time I head up to walmart (maybe in a day or so) I'll ask the manager or snoop around and look for it.

I live right up the road from wal-mart.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Buying used games hurts developers.[/QUOTE]

With some devs releasing buggy pieces of shit and calling them completed games, then trying to patch the ever living shit out of them, it just further influences me to buy used games versus new ones.

It also influences me to buy them ONLY once they hit clearance, since I'll take a bug ridden game for $5, but no fuckin' way will I pay $50 for some game I might not be able to complete due to game ending bugs.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']With some devs releasing buggy pieces of shit and calling them completed games, then trying to patch the ever living shit out of them, it just further influences me to buy used games versus new ones.

It also influences me to buy them ONLY once they hit clearance, since I'll take a bug ridden game for $5, but no fuckin' way will I pay $50 for some game I might not be able to complete due to game ending bugs.[/QUOTE]

Thrill kill really damaged you, didn't it?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']With some devs releasing buggy pieces of shit and calling them completed games, then trying to patch the ever living shit out of them, it just further influences me to buy used games versus new ones.

It also influences me to buy them ONLY once they hit clearance, since I'll take a bug ridden game for $5, but no fuckin' way will I pay $50 for some game I might not be able to complete due to game ending bugs.[/QUOTE]

Excuses excuses. Stop killing video games.

[quote name='vgleaf']
Regarding security issues, e-Play DOES verify the authenticity of the discs traded. [/QUOTE]

Told you doubters that it'd read the discs. Can't believe you lot thought you could scan a UPC and insert a blank DVD.

Only $25 for "in-demand" games.. sounds a bit.. low. Local Hastings gives $35 for "in-demand" games. I can only imagine the amount given for XBox games.. you insert an XBox game, it actually takes $2 away from you..

[quote name='spincut']So, is there a way to know if our local Walmart has one of these things yet or get trade in value without actually going in person???[/QUOTE]

Call? :roll:

[quote name='Gentlegamer']I don't want my photo taken to trade in a game.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever gone inside a store? Gas station? Walked near an ATM? Entered a hotel? Put on your tinfoil hat, my friend.

How about they make games that are soooo good that no one wants to trade them in. Otherwise, this is the world we now live in, so they'd better adjust. It would be like buying used cars hurts the auto industry, you put any product out there humans are going to trade it.

You've never bought used games? Never sold games?

I'd have to get more than I paid for a game originally in order to step foot in the most disgusting store in America.

[quote name='djheini']I actually saw one of these machines (or at least similiar concept) at a Super Wal-Mart in Massachusetts this weekend, and it looked like it does offer game and movie rentals. I didn't get to look too far at the inventory, but the pricing I saw was $1 for DVDs and games, and $2 for Blu-ray (I assume prices are per night, like redbox)[/QUOTE]

Where in Mass? If thisthing takes disc only I have a lot of use for it.

Question for vgleaf -
Any list of the 3% Walmart test locations?

A news report this evening mentioned the machines are being tested in 3% of the Walmart locations.
Credits run from $.50 to $25 as stated

Wah, wah, authors and musicians have been screaming about this for decades, too. The consumer doesn't owe anybody but the consumer himself anything.

[quote name='Scorch']
Only $25 for "in-demand" games.. sounds a bit.. low. [/QUOTE]

I was thinking this too. Even GameStop (GASP!) is sometimes better than this with "in-demand games."

[quote name='f4t4lfury']
Have you ever gone inside a store? Gas station? Walked near an ATM? Entered a hotel? Put on your tinfoil hat, my friend.[/QUOTE]
I'm well aware of the surveillance cameras in public places.

That's not the same as posing for a mugshot to trade in a game, or other business transaction.

It's intresting idea but a $.50 to $25 range when games are $60 new isn't good enough. $35-40 would be far better.

Also I can't wait to find a walmart game I can buy instore and then trade into kiosk for a profit without ever leaving walmart :)

[quote name='rodieremix']I was thinking this too. Even GameStop (GASP!) is sometimes better than this with "in-demand games."[/QUOTE]

Holy shit, GameStop just won against WalMart already, wow. This entire thing sounds like complete fucking epic fail.

if this ever goes mainstream i'd like to see the real payouts of games. Maybe try putting the .hack series in there and see what you get back lol.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As for me, I still think WM is gonna be the same as(if not WORSE than)Gamestop on values, so I'll just continue to build my collection of games and keep everything I own for now.[/QUOTE]

This.

I for one has -never- understood the massive bitching about GS's trade in values. Why? Because for one, people don't understand that GS has a massively integrated system. When you've got hundreds of people trading in games, there's no possible way the value is going to stay high. None. Your talking about a huge chain of stores that are all interconnected and i'm pretty sure if HQ can see that among all of their stores, they currently have hundreds of copies of a game, the value isn't going to stay high.

People looking for WM to compete directly with GS are going to be let down. If they do offer higher values, those values will drop the moment more people start trading in x copy of x game at WM. This also means that theves now have a new best friend and the -best- kind of friend because it's a automatic machine. Why bother with Pawn Shops or even GS when you can just go to Wal-mart and turn your stolen games around for hot cash? At least with a pawn shop or in some cases, GS, you had a chance of getting your stuff back.

It's a nice idea but the flaws are huge.

[quote name='Sixtail']This.

I for one has -never- understood the massive bitching about GS's trade in values. Why? Because for one, people don't understand that GS has a massively integrated system. When you've got hundreds of people trading in games, there's no possible way the value is going to stay high. None. Your talking about a huge chain of stores that are all interconnected and i'm pretty sure if HQ can see that among all of their stores, they currently have hundreds of copies of a game, the value isn't going to stay high.

People looking for WM to compete directly with GS are going to be let down. If they do offer higher values, those values will drop the moment more people start trading in x copy of x game at WM. This also means that theves now have a new best friend and the -best- kind of friend because it's a automatic machine. Why bother with Pawn Shops or even GS when you can just go to Wal-mart and turn your stolen games around for hot cash? At least with a pawn shop or in some cases, GS, you had a chance of getting your stuff back.

It's a nice idea but the flaws are huge.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure it will be in credit due to those situations so a lot of the stuff is traceable and i'm sure theres going to be verification for all this if anything. Like entering your drivers license or something.

[quote name='SmurfALMIGHTY']Pretty sure it will be in credit due to those situations so a lot of the stuff is traceable and i'm sure theres going to be verification for all this if anything. Like entering your drivers license or something.[/QUOTE]

That's not going to help much. If someone's going around hitting houses/etc and then bringing them to Wal-mart's machine, how traceable is it going to be? Not the same as a Pawn Shop where your on camera and they collect so much info that the police will be able to find you.

Just saying. Maybe i'm paranoid but a automatic machine is the easiest way to convert stolen stuff into cash. Hell shoplifters could profit too.

Wow, you guys are a bunch of jerks. You're all just selfish used game buyers and sellers. We'll see who laughs last when the only system alive is the Wii.

[quote name='Brian9824']
I can't wait to find a walmart game I can buy instore and then trade into kiosk for a profit without ever leaving walmart :)[/QUOTE]
:applause:

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Isn't GameStop's highest trade-in value in store credit (lower for cash money)? The Wal-Mart system appears to give real monies in trade.[/QUOTE]
I think GS gives 20% less if you want cash and I always find they don't want to do it or act like that policy does not exist. Sounds like e-Play is giving direct money to your credit card. So say a high demand game gets $30 at GS in credit, that is $24 in cash. e-Play may better that at $25 in cash...

[quote name='Sixtail']That's not going to help much. If someone's going around hitting houses/etc and then bringing them to Wal-mart's machine, how traceable is it going to be? Not the same as a Pawn Shop where your on camera and they collect so much info that the police will be able to find you.

Just saying. Maybe i'm paranoid but a automatic machine is the easiest way to convert stolen stuff into cash. Hell shoplifters could profit too.[/QUOTE]
They take drivers license, they take your credit card info, they take a picture of you for each game traded in.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='donut']Sorry, not comfortable scanning my license...one more way for theft...[/QUOTE]
What do you mean?

[quote name='CaoPi']so what if I go in with a plastic bag over my head and traded in something?[/QUOTE]
Maybe it would be flagged and reviewed?

[quote name='Jbently']Make sure you put some air holes in that bag for breathing![/QUOTE]

LOL great stuff.

Anywho, so does this thing sell back the used games or does it only buy them used?

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Wow, you guys are a bunch of jerks. You're all just selfish used game buyers and sellers. We'll see who laughs last when the only system alive is the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Uhm, you do realize that this is CAG, not like Buy New and Pay Full Retail Price Club. Why are you here? Not to mention your itrader says 23 so you're obviously a hypocrite! Or you're joking in a completely not joking manner.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Thrill kill really damaged you, didn't it?[/QUOTE]

Not really, since I've never even played it. I did play the game they made using the TK game engine(Wu Tang: Shaolin Style) though and it sucked.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Excuses excuses. Stop killing video games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Wow, you guys are a bunch of jerks. You're all just selfish used game buyers and sellers. We'll see who laughs last when the only system alive is the Wii.[/QUOTE]

The used game market has been around forever(as bigdaddybruce said) and I haven't seen gaming die as of yet. Mind you, if devs start making only crappy licensed movie games and don't come up with anything unique or new(read: the glut of FPS's we have), then the industry MAY take a hit. Who the hell wants to play the SAME GAME every year?!?! Oh wait, I forgot, the Madden football crowd. Sorry.

The Wii does have some advantages over the 360 and the PS3, like PRICE for one, but gaming isn't going to die overnight. It takes a massive exodus of gamers buying stuff, among other things.

Thing is, there will always be a dedicated group of people who buy games at full MSRP and there will always be those of us on CAG who only buy used or on clearance.

As for me, I've taken too many hits in the wallet on some buggy crap software to really justify paying MSRP for any games I'm not 100% interested in.

Do the games even need to be complete with manual and all? This can be a loss for walmart, what if something is scratched, beat up and you take it to the vending machine anyway?

Here's a follow-up article related to this:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-the-game-trade-kiosks-ars-gets-the-scoop.ars

[quote name='From ArsTechnica article']The facts behind the game-trade kiosks: Ars gets the scoop

Walmart is not getting into used games... yet. But e-Play wants to put a used-game kiosk at a store near you so you can easily trade in your games. We speak to the CEO of the company, and explain why this is a surprisingly good idea.

By Ben Kuchera | Last updated May 20, 2009 8:18 AM CT

While GameStop, Amazon, and smaller independent stores are duking it out for your game trade-ins, we reported Monday on a kiosk spotted at a Walmart location that automated the act of trading in games. The gamer who tried to use the kiosk had quite the unhappy experience, and the gaming blogs ran with the story that Walmart may be getting into the used game business. We caught up with the company behind the kiosk, e-Play, to get all the questions answered.

The first clarification: Walmart is only providing the floor space for the pilot program; the retail giant isn't getting into buying or selling games directly. "Walmart is providing vestibule space to e-Play at 77 of its Northeast region stores. Some stores have Video Game Buy Back only kiosks and some kiosks are full-functioning, but e-Play manages all aspects of kiosk operations for both types," Alan Rudy, the CEO of e-Play, told Ars. "While we have over 200 other retail locations, this is currently a pilot program with Walmart, but we are optimistic of its success and future expansion."

The system also offers a good amount of security. You scan the game's barcode, and the machine tells you its trade-in value. If you decide to sell the game, you have to put the disc into the hardware directly. "Once a disc is inserted into the kiosk, the disc is spun up, identified and evaluated for damage," Rudy explained. "The kiosk is also able to tell if the disc is burned, is a CD or is an old AOL advertising disc and would reject it. If the disc is unidentifiable or does not match what the user stated, there will be a screen that advises the user that the disc did not match and the disc will be returned.

"If a disc is too badly damaged, we will withhold credit and contact the customer to inform him/her. In most cases, even heavily scratched discs can be recovered with our refurbishing process at our distribution center. The discs are inserted into the kiosk, and the empty jewel cases are inserted into the trade bin beside the kiosk."

The machine then asks for your credit card and driver's license for record-keeping, and the trade-in is credited to your card in a day or two. That's right, you get what amounts to cash, although the possibility of retailer gift cards will also be explored.
These kiosks won't just give you credit for games, you'll also be able to purchase or rent games. One of the advantages of the kiosk system that Rudy points is the lessening of shrink: there is no product directly on the floor for customers to steal, and no employee needs to be trained to operate the machine.

How is e-Play hoping to combat Amazon? "The e-Play trade method does not involve printing shipping labels or waiting on snail mail to deliver your games or to return your Amazon gift card," Rudy said. "Soon, e-Play will also post their buy-back pricing online so customers can preview this information before going to a kiosk." Rudy won't review the "proprietary algorithm" the company uses to determine trade-in value, but by placing the values online and allowing customers to scan the games and see the value before making the decision, they are offering one more data point showing how much used games are worth on the open market. Also, unlike GameStop, the value does not decrease if you decide you want cash instead of store credit for your games.

So what happened with the gamer in the original report? Rudy tells us that if a retailer like GameStop puts their own bar codes on the game cases, the machine won't recognize them. By sliding the sleeve up or down you're able to reveal the original barcode, allowing the machine to recognize the game. Right now PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Wii games are accepted for trade.

It seems like a viable business strategy... as long as the price offered for used games is fair. You don't have to mail anything, you don't have to accept a lower amount if you don't want store credit, and if the machines are conveniently located, selling your games could be done as you go about your normal shopping. You can see if there is a kiosk close to you by checking out the company's website. Rudy promises the kiosks have been tested, and there will be a new screen explaining the issues with third-party barcodes to avoid more confusion.

The battle for your used games continues.[/quote]

bread's done
Back