Walmart to buy back used games through vending machines

I hope those that think this will fail at least understand that Wal-Mart is the best selling retailer, erm, world wide? This is going to put a hurt to game stop, but won't hurt me at all considering I refuse to buy games that aren't complete (and you should to) for collection and re-sell purposes.

If anything this is just going to push more and more companies to DRM and what not for the future.

Can we maybe compile a list of where these are? Those of you who find these please post the location of the Walmart. I'm going to check my local Walmart sometime this week.

[quote name='d8onausa']The only possible good that will come out of this is that it will hurt GameStop's bottom line. Unfortunately, it won't be enough to put them out of business.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Richlough']Good , fuck Gamestop .[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone on this board want any store to go out of business? Less options for consumers means stores have less competition, and that's bad for people like us CAGs. Not to mention that GS has some great deals on used stuff sometimes. Anyone who wants GS to go under isn't using their head, in my opinion.

This wont even dent gamestop. At gamestop you can check the condition of games before you buy them. You get coupons, and deals, and trade bonuses.

The bad thing I forsee about all this is the publisher and game makers seeing how much everyone is getting in on their lost sales, and we will see online distribution draw just even that much closer.

If a CAG (or CAGs) has a local Walmart that has one of these machines, I'd love to feature your experience with them on the front page of CAG. Get as many details as possible (including some sample trade values). If you need to contact me about it, do so here.

Thanks!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Why would anyone on this board want any store to go out of business? Less options for consumers means stores have less competition, and that's bad for people like us CAGs. Not to mention that GS has some great deals on used stuff sometimes. Anyone who wants GS to go under isn't using their head, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Because Gamestop is TEH DEVILZ! And Wal*Mart is AWESOME! You know, with their sweatshops and just general poor labor practices.

There's one major problem with all of this: you have to actually step foot in a Walmart. I think I'd rather hang myself.

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is there a Genesis game in there? Wtf?

walmarttradein.jpg

I really want to see one of these, I'll check with one of my co-workers who's second job is at wal-mart and see if she heard anything about these things. I can't see them working all that well since the more I use redbox the more I get pissed off. Machines not taking dvd's for whatever reason or taking them but not registering them. Yeah I can call customer service but eh... This is gonna take a game and credit me the appropriate amount with no glitches, oookay.

[quote name='BlueSwim']If you're really rich, why does your avatar look like he shops at Wal Mart on a regular basis?:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.:lol::lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

Because i'm imitating an average (white) poor person. My avatar is a fictional character in a cartoon, who gives many hugs to poor people in Walmart.

[quote name='spectreon']It looks as if the machine takes the games disc only... the box hanging on the right clearly reads "INSERT EMPTY CASES & ENVELOPES HERE."

So the machine could, in theory....
A) read what game is inserted
B) tell which console said game is for
C) tell if the disc is readable, well at least partially

Sounds flawed still... but interesting none the less if true
[/QUOTE]
:applause: That's what I thought too, that they are able to read data off the disc and you can put instructions + case in the side bin. They probably require id so that they can tell who tried to scam them. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I figured some WM already have this and people would've liked to find out and use it right away.

[quote name='CheapyD']I edited down the OP so that readers would have a reason to visit the source site. Thanks for the info J7.![/QUOTE]
Thanks CheapD. I probably shouldn't have posted his entire article :oops:

[quote name='slidecage']bad thing ., you put in 10 complete games in say 30 days... on the 31th day you get an email saying

there was no disc in 5 of the games you put in the system. There is no way to proove you had a game in there so your mostly #$#$#$#... Then again this is the same thing as mailing games to someone.. If someone really wanted to #$#$# you over they could pull that on you.. But still too big of a risk for me, but walmart moms will be more then happy to put little jonnies games he does not play any longer in there.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully the machine gives a confirmation receipt and after that you're protected.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']Because i'm imitating an average (white) poor person. My avatar is a fictional character in a cartoon, who gives many hugs to poor people in Walmart.[/QUOTE]
:lol::lol::lol:

:grouphug:

I think it's funny that people think they'd release a machine into the wild that would accept CD-R's without some way of verifying the contents on it first. You're not going to be able to put a blank CD-R in there after scanning a random UPC.

[quote name='Scorch']I think it's funny that people think they'd release a machine into the wild that would accept CD-R's without some way of verifying the contents on it first. You're not going to be able to put a blank CD-R in there after scanning a random UPC.[/QUOTE]

1. Burn a bunch of DVD-Rs
2. Take them to Wal*Mart.
3. ?
4. Profit!

[quote name='blackhole82']It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. I've yet to try the redbox DVD rental though.[/QUOTE]
I like Redbox, never had any problems with it. It's good for those who don't watch enough movies or have enough money to pay for Netflix. The only part that sucks is having to wait sometimes.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']This wont even dent gamestop. At gamestop you can check the condition of games before you buy them. You get coupons, and deals, and trade bonuses.

The bad thing I forsee about all this is the publisher and game makers seeing how much everyone is getting in on their lost sales, and we will see online distribution draw just even that much closer.[/QUOTE]
At this point we don't know if they would actually sell the games back to customers or just buy them and ship them to a business partner. I think this has potential to hurt GS, at least on trade ins, which would raise GS TIV's. But it all depends on how serious WM is about it and what the details are. And the vending machines could probably be configured to give bonuses, like trade in a certain amount and get more TIV.

[quote name='Scorch']I think it's funny that people think they'd release a machine into the wild that would accept CD-R's without some way of verifying the contents on it first. You're not going to be able to put a blank CD-R in there after scanning a random UPC.[/QUOTE]

This.

Just like the self check-outs, I'm sure something like this will be monitored/recorded pretty heavily. They will most likely require SOME kind of ID/Credit Card in the event you are able to trade in some kind of fake/damaged game.

This thing is neat, though. Hope it spans out to more wal-marts and is ACTUALLY a good promo. The trade in values better be more than Gamestops...and if not..they need to have promotions. GS is only worth trading shit into when they have a decent promo.

With Walmart's entry into the used game business and this "untested" automated trade in idea, will competitors finally create a website where one can know the trade in value of a game before heading to the store?

I seriously never go to Walmart, but I would if if their used game idea works out.

How many different retailers carrry Redboxes? I've seen it at Stop n Shop and it sounds like people have seen it at WM? So if this does well maybe we could see more of these types of vending machines at different retailers.

Thinking about this more..and I like this because this might make Target jump on board and do the same thing. Trade in shit for Target giftcards =

@ djheini
It didn't happen to be a gamefly kiosk?
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/05/gamefly-opens-first-g-box-game-rental-kiosk/

@ mrnivek:
Redbox has been having return problems in the last couple of weeks BUT a return problem will now resolve itself overnight most of the time. You can call customer service and they'll take care of the problem for you, but...if you're renting movies from a box calling people probably isn't your thing ;)

@ The article
I bet they will shrink wrap and sell them in the store - IN A BIG FREAKING BIN. I doubt I will buy used from walmart just because I will have to hunt through bins or unsorted shelves to find a game just like their $5 movies and $20 greatest hits/shovelware. I also wish they would sort their retail games behind the glass but that is clearly asking too much.

This is probably not a win for consumers because Walmart is better known for killing competition rather than promoting it. I would rather see Game Crazy expand (although I hate going into their stores) than to see walmart (borg) assimilate the used game market into it's gigantic belly.
edit: missed this one
[quote name='lilboo']

This thing is neat, though. Hope it spans out to more wal-marts and is ACTUALLY a good promo. The trade in values better be more than Gamestops...and if not..they need to have promotions. GS is only worth trading shit into when they have a decent promo.[/QUOTE]

Walmart needs to have promotions? Clearly you don't go to walmart. They have their "every day low price" which isn't very low on anything other than food and NEVER have sales which means they never lose money on something that they sell (except for seasonal crap). The fact that they print out booklets of stuff that isn't on sale is humerous to me :)

[quote name='Drkirby']Well, so far it looks like it may only let you trade in, I don't think that box will be able to sell them back. Though maybe in a few months, stores will have used games for sale inside.[/QUOTE]
I just meant in general, having other retailers get into the trade-in/used market is a good thing for us as consumers.

Just got back from walmart and I think I need a bathtub full of battery acid. Pretty nasty place and I only go there in case of emergency. These better be some good deals but I don't exactly trust their clientele to take care of their games.
[quote name='penguinknight']@ djheini
It didn't happen to be a gamefly kiosk?
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/05/gamefly-opens-first-g-box-game-rental-kiosk/
[/QUOTE]
Damn that's pricey. Would be better if you could take your games and pick up if you had a subscription already.

[quote name='KingofOldSchool']Because Gamestop is TEH DEVILZ! And Wal*Mart is AWESOME! You know, with their sweatshops and just general poor labor practices.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::applause::applause::applause::applause:x infinity

Plus, Wal*Mart REALLY needs to learn what the word CLEARANCE means!!!!

I saw an item on 'clearance' in one of their stores one time and I couldn't believe the amazing value I was getting.

Original Price: $49.82
"Clearance" Price: $49.62

That's right .20 off of the original price is considered 'clearance'.

fuck Wal*Mart, fuck Gamestop. I hope Sears, Kmart, TRU and Target never go out of business or I'll quit gaming before I have to buy any sizable amount of games from either of those shitholes.

So you only insert the disc? If so, that's going to release a massive amount of disc-only games into the wild. It's a shame to think of how many manuals and cases are going to be destroyed, and how much more expensive complete copies are going to become. Just look at used GBA games as an example of this.

Had to go shopping at Walmart earlier tonight anyway so I decided to drive a little farther and visit a bigger WM the next city over. Sadly I struck out as these machines were nowehere to be found. Just the normal Coinstar and pet tag engraving machines. Oh well I had to go anyway would be funny if my normal store had one already.. :)

[quote name='penguinknight']

Walmart needs to have promotions? Clearly you don't go to walmart. They have their "every day low price" which isn't very low on anything other than food and NEVER have sales which means they never lose money on something that they sell (except for seasonal crap). The fact that they print out booklets of stuff that isn't on sale is humerous to me :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is funny that stuff in their circulars is always that price anyway.

They do however match any other store's advertised price, on anything. I've gotten a lot of games and other items at Wal-Mart that were advertised on sale at other retailers but had sold out quickly (like the recent Best Buy sale for example.)

[quote name='lilboo']Thinking about this more..and I like this because this might make Target jump on board and do the same thing. Trade in shit for Target giftcards =

So, is there a way to know if our local Walmart has one of these things yet or get trade in value without actually going in person???

A few games i'd like to get rid of, and while they are in pristine condition and i'd almost rather have them inspected by a person and benefit from that, I suppose this automated setup would help push me into getting it over already.

If you think Gamestop's trade in values are bad... I can't see anyone using this except for moms who are ticked off with their kids' video game habit. Seriously, any pawn shop (where I live at least) will give you a better trade in price than Gamestop and other stores (even with the "edge card" and other nonsense).

This won't work out as good as gamestop due to kids not having credit cards or there parents not letting them use theirs.

I don't see how this would actually work. The games that people trade may be scratched and unusable. If they really want to get into the used video game business they are going to have to set up an actual booth for people to go to so that the games can be inspected.

This is great news! Now Gamestop will have to price used games at a reasonable price in order to make money. Payback for all those years of over pricing titles. You're reign is over...*cues choir* lol

Anyone think the trade in will be credit for all items in the store? Example...Trade in Halo 3 for $18 bucks and you use that credit to purchase non-gaming items.

[quote name='Miss Itchy Nose']I don't see how this would actually work. The games that people trade may be scratched and unusable. If they really want to get into the used video game business they are going to have to set up an actual booth for people to go to so that the games can be inspected.[/QUOTE]

You don't think they never thought about that?? You think they never thought about someone scanning the back of Infamous while loading an Ace of Base CD into the machine??? We can all hate Wal-Mart for different reasons, but they didn't become so large by being stupid..

[quote name='lilboo']You don't think they never thought about that?? You think they never thought about someone scanning the back of Infamous while loading an Ace of Base CD into the machine??? We can all hate Wal-Mart for different reasons, but they didn't become so large by being stupid..[/QUOTE]

Who on earth would ever part with any Ace Of Base CD ?

[quote name='slidecage']dont see what keeps people from putting case only games into the system (no game inside) or what keeps the place from saying there was no game inside.. Sorry but too big of a risk for most.. It will flop[/QUOTE]

Redbox seems to have some sort of verification built into their system, so I'm sure Walmart has the same.

Worst case scenario they end up rejecting your credit and keeping the disc.

If anyone sees one of these in CT I can probably get some "inside information" for anyone that needs to know, but I have yet to see one of these in CT. I'm guessing these will be in test stages for awhile before they get out further.

I saw one of these about a week ago. It's the Saratoga Springs NY walmart if anyone lives by there. I might bring a few old xbox games and see if it'll take em.

[quote name='lilboo']ACTUALLY, what makes me more excited for this..is that.. let's say Target, Best Buy, and Toys R Us do this TOO..this might FORCE GameStop to actually be like, a real store worth stepping into.[/QUOTE]

According to all the people who visit the weekly GS ad threads, it already it is. It's crazy, though. I go in there. I pick out what I want. I bring it up the counter. They scan it. I pay for it. I leave. It's freakin' unreal, I tell you.

[quote name='PhilESkyline']This is great news! Now Gamestop will have to price used games at a reasonable price in order to make money. Payback for all those years of over pricing titles. You're reign is over...*cues choir* lol[/QUOTE]

They already do, if you're a smart consumer. Anyone who buys their used games for $55 should be shot. But with coupons and EDGE, you can get great deals at GameStop. Nothing beats using EDGE and a 20% coupon to essentially get $20 off a brand-new release.

Besides, do you really think Wally World is gonna be any better than GS when it comes to pricing?

Well after reading all the replies, I think that
1. they wouldn't be that stupid to just give you the money
2. I would bet a credit / debit card is required
3. if not, you are going to recieve an unactivated walmart gift card/store credit that will activate when your game is verified, I'll bet it'll be a wally world gift card so you have spend the money there. I would hope they could give you price difference (cash would be lower TIV(probrably via VISA/MC gift credit card) gift card/wallycredit higher TIV)
4.Redbox Style Game rentals would rock..
5. Competition for your used games is a PLUS! Most places don't give a crap about manuals and stuff anyway.
6. Scratched games? sure.. they'll accept them but they keep the disc an cancel your credit I'd bet. or just remove a simple fee $1 or two... they will all be re-ground at the Wally World game buyback HQ.. heh.
7. Trade in movies is a joke.. tons of people buy them at ridiculous prices they sell them for next to nothing. That is CRAZY. It's got little replay value so, they get super cheap super fast.

[quote name='VampTheChamp']I saw one of these about a week ago. It's the Saratoga Springs NY walmart if anyone lives by there. I might bring a few old xbox games and see if it'll take em.[/QUOTE]

We'd love to get some more information about the process and trade-in values. If you can, bring some newer games, just to see how much they offer.

Thanks!

I agree with CheapyD, this idea is very very intriguing. Although I hope it's a bit better than the Red Box. I can't tell ya how many times I got DVD's that would not work!

Just read the Kotaku post. With the delay in credit return it isn't a Gamestop killler yet. But it's a good start. Again once the testing is complete and a few modifications are do I'm sure it will be something Gamestop will keep an eye on.

It would be nice if they incorporated a store credit as well. Trade in 3 xbox games and get $60 dollars of Walmart credit via a Walmart credit card of some sort. Trade your games in slide the card in get credit and go food shopping. Sounds silly at first but it might not be such a bad idea.

Getting real money instead of store credit appeal to a lot people as well. It cost little to operate and if Walmart decides to be aggressive with this they will take a huge market share from GS

Remember back in 2004 Walmart decided to sell the Elmo doll $5 cheaper than anyone else? Everyone tried to match the price but it was profit they could not afford to lose. With used game sales being so profitable Walmart could afford to take a lost to get into the market.

If you can put the money back on a pre-paid Visa or MC, this is going to get ridiculous.

And if they're using their own buyback prices, it's one more opportunity for flipping.

bread's done
Back