Walmart's 360 New Years Event.

I just got back from Wal-Mart. Because I agreed with Vegan's assessment of the situation, I didn't leave my house until just after midnight. I got back to the electronics counter just as they were selling their last system. I live close to the store so this was only about 12:15 when this happened. Apparently they only had FOUR to begin with, 2 of each version.

I don't know what the point of holding them for midnight was if they had such low quantities.

[quote name='Detective_thorn']...Apparently they only had FOUR to begin with, 2 of each version.

I don't know what the point of holding them for midnight was if they had such low quantities.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like some associate hoarding possibly, or someone fucked up and sold a few systems too early. Each store was supposed to receive a minumum of twelve systems.

I'm sure a few ass-chewings were handed out to the stores that sold out their supply prior to New Years (As the shipping label plainly states JANTAB).

I just got back from Monroeville,PA store; there were like 20+ Premium and 15+ Core Systems, and there were only 25 people in the line.

I think they should have some core systems still.

I got a premium one, I was there from 8:40pm and I was 4th in line, not bad had to wait inside the store and not outside in the rain.

Good luck and thanks

Showed up to see the last Premium system sold to a redneck guy. :cry:

At this point, I'd rather wait to get a Premium, even though they had several core systems.

Went to my Wal-Mart at 11 and their brilliant electronics employee was unaware that they had the 360s. After a few calls, they found out they did in fact have some. Picked up a premium and was one of TWO people waiting for it. I believe they only had 8..idk why. They only allowed one per household.

Well, I got to Wal-Mart at about 3:30. I went to layaway and waited... after a bit of questioning, I found out that my Wal-Mart actually had 8 premiums and 8 cores (unlike the 13 cores I had been told of earlier). Uhh... so I waited for about 5 more hours before anybody else came. God, that was boring. By midnight, only 8 people had come. They all purchased premiums. I was first in line, and got it along with PDZ. I took it home, carefully opened it, and ~gasp~ the faceplate was smashed next to the USB port cover. The box wasn't even dented or anything. The Xbox 360 works fine, but I'm going to ask Microsoft to send me another faceplate. I blame the lack of any packing material for the damage.

I'm about to go sleep. I only played PDZ for 15 minutes, but what I played wasn't very impressive IMO. That's my Xbox 360 experience in a nutshell.

I went to a Wal-Mart Supercenter in Vegas at around 12:20. I ended up getting the second to last premium bundle there. There was no rush to get one or anything, just walked in, asked for one and got it.

i thought this would be the best place to post this...

i work at game crazy and we have been getting in 360s here and there. they come in brown boxes containing two 360s per box. the funny thing is... we are getting shipments that have a huge orange sticker on the box that says "DO NOT SELL UNTIL NOV. 22" the question is... why would they still be slapping these stickers on AFTER the 22nd of NOVEMBER? hmmmm... why go out of your way to put sticker on the box that doesn't need to be on? oh, because they were packaged prior to NOV 22nd and sat somewhere until MS decided to send them out.

ive basically come to the conclusion that this shortage was fake no matter what microsoft says. i didn't want to believe it at first but now i just dont care what MS or anyone else says. this shortage is/was a fake to hype the system, and it worked.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']ive basically come to the conclusion that this shortage was fake no matter what microsoft says. i didn't want to believe it at first but now i just dont care what MS or anyone else says. this shortage is/was a fake to hype the system, and it worked.[/QUOTE]

I've bought games for Xbox that had a "Do not sell until" sticker on them YEARS after the games were released.

BUT OMFG MICROSOFT FAKED A SHORTAGE ON PROJECT GOTHAM 2 !!!

The boxes were already made and sat around until Microsoft was able to use them. But think what you want.

I just got back from my Walmart in Jupiter Fl on Indiantown road. They still had some at 8am 12 of each if anybody wants one.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']i thought this would be the best place to post this...

i work at game crazy and we have been getting in 360s here and there. they come in brown boxes containing two 360s per box. the funny thing is... we are getting shipments that have a huge orange sticker on the box that says "DO NOT SELL UNTIL NOV. 22" the question is... why would they still be slapping these stickers on AFTER the 22nd of NOVEMBER? hmmmm... why go out of your way to put sticker on the box that doesn't need to be on? oh, because they were packaged prior to NOV 22nd and sat somewhere until MS decided to send them out.

ive basically come to the conclusion that this shortage was fake no matter what microsoft says. i didn't want to believe it at first but now i just dont care what MS or anyone else says. this shortage is/was a fake to hype the system, and it worked.[/QUOTE]

Not to incite anything, but it's very possible they made and prepared those boxes before they actually stick systems in them, and ran into problems getting as many systems as they thought off the assembly line.

[quote name='Purkeynator']It worked on me. I want one and don't even know why I want one. There aren't even any games out that interest me.[/QUOTE]

Same, but I did want Elder Scrolls 4. Damn the delays! :(

ive basically come to the conclusion that this shortage was fake no matter what microsoft says. i didn't want to believe it at first but now i just dont care what MS or anyone else says. this shortage is/was a fake to hype the system, and it worked.[/QUOTE]

You are most likely right they did this as a marketing scheme they saw what happened when Sony had a shortage everyone was fighting over a 360 so microsoft decided to do it and its also working

Just wanted to chim in, I tried two local Walmarts this morning a little before 7. One of them had 12 systems (8 core, 4 prem) and I was too far back in line to get a premium. The other one had a bigger line so I just said screw it, especially since it sounds like most walmarts are getting around 10 or 12 premiums tops. I guess I'll keep looking.

No way. It isn't in Microsoft's best interest to do something of that nature. One, they entirely missed Christmas and an opportunity to literally sell millions of units for hundreds of millions of dollars - no matter what marketing school you go to, that would be pure DUMB.

And two - each day a person doesn't have an XBOX (but wants one) brings them closer to the day that they can get a PS3. And by all accounts the PS3 is going to be a barn burner. And once that barn door is opened they aren't going to trickle out like they do from MS, there will be a flood that washes away everything before it till there is nothing left but all things Playstation. Sony figured out how to do this years ago and they do it well. When that flood comes people will forget about their XBoxes and limited game support.

No, MS just screwed up and screwed up bad..nothing else.

i didn't want to believe it at first but now i just dont care what MS or anyone else says. this shortage is/was a fake to hype the system, and it worked.[/QUOTE]

Right. In the manufacturing processess all parts are assembled on an assembly line. One vendor will be responsible for boxes, one for screens, one for cases, one for Video chips, etc. etc....no someone screwed the pooch and can't keep up with production requirements.

[quote name='robbart914']Not to incite anything, but it's very possible they made and prepared those boxes before they actually stick systems in them, and ran into problems getting as many systems as they thought off the assembly line.[/QUOTE]

They did not create a shortage. I think they have sold about 500,000 systems so far. Reports I have seen is that about 5 million people are instested in an Xbox 360 system. MS would have made more money if they had delivered 1 million systems rather than 500,000 and there would still be a shortage and a lot of hype of people still waiting for a system. Besides if they wait too long on fulfilling the demand people are going to wait for Sony.

I'm not happy...

All of the Walmarts around Pittsburgh that I called said that they didn't even get any premium... In fact, they told me that NO Walmarts got premiums... :whistle2:s

[quote name='Indiana']They did not create a shortage. I think they have sold about 500,000 systems so far. Reports I have seen is that about 5 million people are instested in an Xbox 360 system. MS would have made more money if they had delivered 1 million systems rather than 500,000 and there would still be a shortage and a lot of hype of people still waiting for a system. Besides if they wait too long on fulfilling the demand people are going to wait for Sony.[/QUOTE]

Interested =/= paying $400 at launch. I'm interested in owning a Corvette, but does it mean I'm going to go out and buy one?

[quote name='Graystone']At this point I would go with a core system and get a HDD separate. I say this cause my friend has a premium and he like me does not play live. So most of it's a waste to him as it would be to me. I guess the only benefit to getting a premium is to sell the extras in the box.[/QUOTE]

Let's see, 40 bucks for a memory card that is necessary for me to save games, or 60 bucks more for MANY memory cards. I think I'd save 60 more bucks and get the premium. :) Honestly I'm not sure why MS even bothered with the Core. True, I do use Live, but you will eventually want a HDD more than likely. Even if you don't want Live, it's still the best deal IMHO. Not to mention, Live this time around is actually pretty darn groovy. GW is just so damn addictive. :)

And about the "OMG MS created a shortage". Do any of you realize the amount of units needed to launch in not just the US this time? Maybe they should have done a worldwide minus Japan launch, but that still would not have been enough.
Damn, look how hard it was for Sony to launch in just the US, and keep up with demand.

MS makes their money off the games, why in the hell hold off sending units, while games sit on the shelf that nobody will buy on the second wave of game releases?

If anything, the stores requiring massive bundles, would have created a shortage of USERS, had there been 360s out the ass. That's the exact reason I went to Circuit City after I left Toys R Us. Toys R Us said I had to buy 2 games, and extra controller, and their warranty. I was going to buy all this anyway, but Circuit City didn't require me to that day.

I found it odd that the advertising I got in the Saturday edition of the paper advertised the core system in big print and then there was a throw in line at the end that said Premium system...399.98. Maybe Wal-Mart is snatching up the bulk of the core systems to maintain ther reputation of low prices? Meh...

The way we know if they did this on purpose is to look at the assembly date on the console itself. My neighbor's xbox 360, which he bought on launch day, was assembled late October. If all the consoles coming out now were all assembled late October or even November, then I'm willing to say that this was done on purpose. This is nothing new and they will teach you this trick in marketing school. Back in '97 or whatever, when Furby came out, they knew they had a hot item so they withheld stock from the market to generate hype. Now you have news stories and people getting crazy over not being able to find any Furbies for Christmas. You still have to get junior SOMETHING for Christmas so you get another toy or whatever. Now it's after Christmas and you had promised junior 6 weeks ago a Furby. What's this? It's January and I can find a Furby no problem? Amazing. Same story with the 360.

Of course, it may have been genuine supply constraints. Look at what happens to Apple with just about everyone of their product launches. Limited supply every time. Sometimes a couple months out. Then again, that may be fake also :)

I took my bro to a wal-mart in houston, and picked one up last night. They had 4 premium, and 8 core systems.

Hey. I live in a small town so my WalMart had some in stock this morning. I just picked a premium one up. I bought one at launch date so now i have an extra to sell to one of you guys. PM if you want it

In the Chicago area Walmart I just walk up at 7:00 am with 3 other people. We almost fainted when the lady opened the boxes and their only 8 core systems. I tear almost form the kids eye when his dad said he was not going to buy a Core system. Luckly the lady went in the back and found 4 premium systems in back(seemed shady not to have them all out at once). Too bad no more with the bonus remote.

[quote name='JasonGDX']I'm not happy...

All of the Walmarts around Pittsburgh that I called said that they didn't even get any premium... In fact, they told me that NO Walmarts got premiums... :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Thats not true, I got my premium system in North Versailles. They had like over 20 Premium and over 15 Core, and not eniugh people to buy. That was at midnight.

[quote name='gvsus']Thats not true, I got my premium system in North Versailles. They had like over 20 Premium and over 15 Core, and not eniugh people to buy. That was at midnight.[/QUOTE]

All that I know is I went to my walmart in Jupiter Fla at 8am this morning and they had no lines for xbox 360 I asked for a premium one and he went and got one. I was very surpised since this is a 24hr walmart. I asked them how many they had left and they told me 12 more cores and 11 more premiums. I also asked them how many they sold after 12:01 am and he said I was the 3rd one to buy one.

Mine did have the bonus remote control.

I live in Anchorage and just went to Walmart, they had a bunch of the systems left there. No lines or anything, was thinking of buying one and than I realize I didn't even want one, it was all that shortage hype getting to me, so I just left and will wait till more games come out and see if there is any I even want.

Anyone still on the preorder waiting list at EB or GS? Cancel them, why anyone's still waiting for it is beyond me, unless you're getting one with store credit.

I was at a best buy about a week ago in portsmouth, NH. It was about 8 p.m. and there was a line forming (the line was for the next day, 8 or 9 a.m. whenever they opened). So I asked the guy at the end (there were about 8 or 10 people, he was by himself) what the line was for. He said its for the xbox 360. I think he was embarrassed, cause he lowered his head and muttered it. Kind of like how a lot people buy condoms, they want them but are ashamed to actually be seen.

Thats probably how I would be if I ever went to something like this on new years.

[quote name='gvsus']Thats not true, I got my premium system in North Versailles. They had like over 20 Premium and over 15 Core, and not eniugh people to buy. That was at midnight.[/QUOTE]

They were the second one I called, and the guy told me that they didn't even get any premiums... Those assholes.

What do you mean by "not enough people to buy"?

I went to the wrong Walmart...the one that had more people in line than it had systems. When I called other Walmarts in the area, they still had systems left. I made the mistake of taking a 30 minute nap since I pulled an all nighter last night at a LAN party. By then, it was too late and the only place that had any was 2 hours away (I figured the gas money would make it the same price as eBay). Oh well, one store has a couple cores left but I can't decide if that's worth a buy...

[quote name='mmn']I've bought games for Xbox that had a "Do not sell until" sticker on them YEARS after the games were released.

[/QUOTE]

that's because they either sat on some online retailers shelves or store warehouses since the first time they actually got them in and there is not as high of a demand for something like that as there is for a new console. 400,000 360s were shipped and about 1 million people wanted them the first day. 1 million copies of a game can be shipped and only 500,000 people might go out and buy it the week it is released, some of those leftover copies can easily be left over for years if the game is not too popular. games are easily mass produced.

i too think it is a bad strategy to create a shortage, but who's to say microsoft didn't intentionally just give it a shot? and whether it was intentional or fake it still worked.

if the ps3 had a set release date a whole lot of people would have skipped the 360 this holiday season.

I live in a small town and went this morning and got a premium version. I already have one so i am looking to either sell it or trade it. I will trade for PS1 RPG'S. It will take quite a bit but i am willing to do it. PM if interested.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']games are easily mass produced.[/QUOTE]

So are cardboard boxes with "do not sell until 11/22" stickers on them.

So now MS wants me to pay $399.99 for this system and it doesn't include the DVD remote? Is MS just dumb? Why would I pay the same price for less product?

I guess I will be waiting for the price drop to $299.99 or a bundle that includes a premium system, 2 controllers, and a game for $399.

Our Wal-Marts (all 3) had people lining up by noon, our WM Supercenter had people lineup before noon.

I can't believe some people would rather wait in line to buy system then party on the last night of 2005. Of course, I didn't exactly get to do anything fun since I'm on house arrest by my parents.:p

I bet the countdown was pretty cringe-worthy. imagine some toothless wal-mart guy sitting there with a watch, angrily eyeing the crowd and muttering 5...4...3..2..1...alright, y'all can buy them xboxers now.

[quote name='Gregory Kimball']Well, I got to Wal-Mart at about 3:30. I went to layaway and waited... after a bit of questioning, I found out that my Wal-Mart actually had 8 premiums and 8 cores (unlike the 13 cores I had been told of earlier). Uhh... so I waited for about 5 more hours before anybody else came. God, that was boring. By midnight, only 8 people had come. They all purchased premiums. I was first in line, and got it along with PDZ. I took it home, carefully opened it, and ~gasp~ the faceplate was smashed next to the USB port cover. The box wasn't even dented or anything. The Xbox 360 works fine, but I'm going to ask Microsoft to send me another faceplate. I blame the lack of any packing material for the damage.

I'm about to go sleep. I only played PDZ for 15 minutes, but what I played wasn't very impressive IMO. That's my Xbox 360 experience in a nutshell.[/QUOTE]

You should play it more. It's actually a really fun game. The parody humor in it is quite funny as well. :)

I just dropped into my walmart the next day and they had about 3 left. No interruption of new years celebration required. :D

bread's done
Back