WAR - Starring Jason Statham vs. Jet Li

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=57pXsjfMhgg[/MEDIA]

9-14-2007

After his partner Tom Wynne (Terry Chen) and family are killed apparently by the infamous and elusive assassin Rogue (Jet Li), FBI agent Jack Crawford (Jason Statham) becomes obsessed with revenge as his world unravels into a vortex of guilt and betrayal. Rogue eventually resurfaces to settle a score of his own, setting off a bloody crime war between Asian mob rivals Chang (John Lone) of the Triad's and Yakuza boss Shiro (Ryo Ishibashi). When Jack and Rogue finally come face to face, the ultimate truth of their pasts will be revealed.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0499556/

This movie looks sweet. Jason Stathman never disappoints. Transporter, Transporter 2, Crank...Jet Li's a badass as well, this should be quite entertaining.

Jason Statham is the new Sean Connery. I'm straight and i'd totally do him.

Will definitely see this movie.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Im calling it now, that by the end of the movie they team up together.[/quote]

This looks like the standard buddy/cop/robber movie so your answer is highly plausible.

I'm a big fan of both actors when they work alone. Not too sure about this one...

Definitely a rental down the road, though.

Jason Statham never ceases to disappoint. His career's been on a downward spiral of typecasting and terrible movies for a while now. I couldn't believe the level of awful he hit with Crank. Very sad since he was great in the Guy Ritchie films.

[quote name='Thongsy']I hated Crank, but with both Jason Statham and Jet Li, I expect a fun popcorn flick.[/QUOTE]

Same... I was expecting Crank to be more a long the lines of The Transporter, action wise, and was pretty disappointed. I actually really didn't like any part of the movie.

This one should not fail, however.

I am a big fan of both of their martial arts movies so this one should be kick ass. I actually don't see how it's possible to screw this up.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Didn't Jet Li retire? Or is it more like a Roger Clemens retirement?[/quote]

He's not doing his epic "period" pieces anymore (see "Once Upon a Time in China").

People are hating on Crank, but I liked that movie. It was fast and stylish and just good fun action. On the other hand I couldn't force myself to get through either of the transporters. I love Snatch and Lockstock too.

[quote name='coolcps']People are hating on Crank, but I liked that movie. It was fast and stylish and just good fun action. On the other hand I couldn't force myself to get through either of the transporters. I love Snatch and Lockstock too.[/quote]

Crank is easily one of my top favorite movies. I've seen it like 5x's and never gets old.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Crank is easily one of my top favorite movies. I've seen it like 5x's and never gets old.[/quote]

At least Amy Smart was in it!:drool:

[quote name='shieryda']He's not doing his epic "period" pieces anymore (see "Once Upon a Time in China").[/QUOTE]

Yea, I think he said he retired from martial arts films, but he will still do action movies... I don't know, there was some kind of really odd clause in his "retirement" like that.

Not sure what the hate is on The Transporter, sure the plot was nothing special but who honestly goes into action movies like that expecting a halfway decent plot? I wanted to see some awesome action, I got it.

The Protector had one of the stupidest stories I've ever seen, but the action was amazing and that's all I really got it for.

Who the hell cares what kind of story War has, it's Jet Li and Jason Statham kicking ass, that's all I'm gonna pay to see.

[quote name='Roufuss']Not sure what the hate is on The Transporter, sure the plot was nothing special but who honestly goes into action movies like that expecting a halfway decent plot?[/QUOTE] The plot was okay. It was the awful over the top action I couldn't stand. At least the girl was hot. That made it somewhat tolerable. :lol:

The Transporter movies were awesome. Shu Qi in the first one? :drool:

The second one is one of my favorite action flicks in recent years. Over the top, but DAMN fun.

I thought Transporter was a good action film, but Transporter 2 was such a laughable, horrendous, film it wasn't even funny. I've seen better CGI on the Game- school ads on G4.

I hope there'll be more fight scenes involving props and such. The scene in the first "Transporter" when Statham strapped on the bike pedals and was skating around in the oil spill was classic.

[quote name='shieryda']At least Amy Smart was in it!:drool:[/QUOTE]

Are we taalking about the pay phone scene again!

[quote name='shieryda']I hope there'll be more fight scenes involving props and such. The scene in the first "Transporter" when Statham strapped on the bike pedals and was skating around in the oil spill was classic.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes it was!

[quote name='shieryda']I hope there'll be more fight scenes involving props and such. The scene in the first "Transporter" when Statham strapped on the bike pedals and was skating around in the oil spill was classic.[/QUOTE] That was quite possibly the worst scene in any movie. Ever. :shame: :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']The plot was okay. It was the awful over the top action I couldn't stand. At least the girl was hot. That made it somewhat tolerable. :lol:[/quote]

you must love Ultraviolet then

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']That was quite possibly the worst scene in any movie. Ever. :shame: :lol:[/quote]

Agreed. I stopped watching right after that scene. I like action movies, and I'm all for over the top stuff, but that was just plain retarded on all levels.

[quote name='Pookymeister']you must love Ultraviolet then[/QUOTE]

I love me some action movies, and I actually own this one sealed, somehow... I'm without a DVD player so I can't watch it, but is it any good?

I heard the plot was shit, but if it was just balls to the wall action I might as well keep it and give it a watch.

If not, off it goes to Moviestop :lol:

[quote name='Roufuss']I love me some action movies, and I actually own this one sealed, somehow... I'm without a DVD so I can't watch it, but is it any good?

I heard the plot was shit, but if it was just balls to the wall action I might as well keep it and give it a watch.

If not, off it goes to Moviestop :lol:[/quote]

Hell no its not...take that shit out of your house. After watching it, I wanted my 2hrs of life back.

[quote name='Roufuss']I love me some action movies, and I actually own this one sealed, somehow... I'm without a DVD player so I can't watch it, but is it any good?

If not, off it goes to Moviestop :lol:[/quote]

Its not 100% action, but i thought it was enjoyable. You'll laugh at how crazy some of the action gets believable wise, but still enjoyable IMO.

just watch this or see the HD clips http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/ultraviolet/

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=iwdn8ZRAk-U[/media]

Agreed with the poster who mentioned The One with less Jet Li. I thought that movie was ok--I enjoy mindless action/popcorn flicks for the most part--so I think I'll like this one with more cowbell Jason Statham as well.

Definitely going to check it out.

All I know is both those guys are badass, regardless of how good/bad their movies turn out.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']That was quite possibly the worst scene in any movie. Ever. :shame: :lol:[/quote]

:cry: You hurt my heartbone!

Directed by a guy who's done nothing except for a couple of music videos and an episode of "The Shield." This does not bode well.

Whether or not it bodes well, the sight of Jason and Jet (hey, a possible sitcom title!) kicking the shit out of people brings a smile to my face.

[quote name='shieryda']I hope there'll be more fight scenes involving props and such. The scene in the first "Transporter" when Statham strapped on the bike pedals and was skating around in the oil spill was classic.[/quote]Didn't he lube himself up with oil from the spill so the bad guys couldn't grab on to him? When my friend and I watched this in the theater back then, we couldn't stop laughing.

I thought Jet Li abandoned western movies after his last few flops... guess not. Only Romeo Must Die was amusing. Couldn't stand Kiss of the Dragon and The One. Never finished watching Cradle 2 the Grave. Didn't even bother watching Unleashed.

Hero and Fearless were so much better than all those combined IMHO.

Them together could make for an entertaining movie though.

The One and Cradle were bad, but they were still amusing. I liked The One, because the thought of a hundred Jet Lis was amusing.

Cradle 2 The Grave was hilariously bad, thanks to Tom Arnold and Anthony Anderson.

I cant see him doing another lethal weapon bad guy, so I'm guessin g hes killing these guys cause they are bad or its some sort of revenge thing.

I dont understand the retirement thing either. He said no more MA movies but he would still do serious acting roles. This movie doesnt look too serious and also looks as though hes doing a bit of MA.

It wasn't a "feels like it" kind of retirement either. It was so he could move away from violent roles and focus on his religion a bit more. Maybe they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Looks good though.

[quote name='Pookymeister']you must love Ultraviolet then[/QUOTE] No, that was probably the second most disappointing movie I've paid to see (after The Transporter). :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']That was quite possibly the worst scene in any movie. Ever. :shame: :lol:[/QUOTE]

We get it, you don't like The Transporter. We can all move on now.

[quote name='grendel19']By the way, what's Statham's background? Is his martial arts for real or just very athletic?[/QUOTE]

I think he was an Olympic diving hopeful.

[quote name='grendel19']Didn't he lube himself up with oil from the spill so the bad guys couldn't grab on to him? When my friend and I watched this in the theater back then, we couldn't stop laughing.

I thought Jet Li abandoned western movies after his last few flops... guess not. Only Romeo Must Die was amusing. Couldn't stand Kiss of the Dragon and The One. Never finished watching Cradle 2 the Grave. Didn't even bother watching Unleashed.

Hero and Fearless were so much better than all those combined IMHO.

Them together could make for an entertaining movie though.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, Fearless and Hero are the better films but the Uncut version of Unleashed is totally worth a watching.

Personally, I dug The One for the fact that it was a film that Jet Li joined at pretty much the last minute as The Rock dropped out. And though some it was a bit too over the top, Jet and Corey Yuen really hit it out of the park in that final fight scene.

I have to say I'm kinda torn on the title War as they went from one generic title (Rogue) to an even more generic title (War)

http://www.warthefilm.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499556/

Got back from the movie today, and it was good enough, though nothing beyond a typical blockbuster flick like the Transporter (Though slightly better). It wasn't nearly as enjoyable as crank but it wasn't as horrid as Rush Hour 3 either..............

But for those of you expecting lots of Jet Li and Jason Statham fighting showdowns, you're bound to be disappointed. In Fact there's no real fighting till the end really and the movie is almost 2 hours long.

And why do they keep on Casting Devon Aoki?! she's butt ugly and can't speak Japanese worth jack... in fact Jason speaks better Japanese than her....

No fighting? That's a major bummer... yeah I know what you're saying about Aoki too. Gross.

[quote name='DV8']No fighting? That's a major bummer... yeah I know what you're saying about Aoki too. Gross.[/QUOTE]

well it's not that there's no fighting, it's just not as action packed as I would have thought. And there isn't much Jet Li Vs Jason Statham fighting.

bread's done
Back