War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely would've gone for Assassin's Creed if it was part of the Ubi sale this week. :(

Might be something of interest the next 2 weeks though. Thanks for the heads up.

how is direct to drive compared to steam and impulse I have always avoided them? Can you re-download your games forever and is the support good?

[quote name='z3razerviper']how is direct to drive compared to steam and impulse I have always avoided them? Can you re-download your games forever and is the support good?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. *is a steam avoider*

[quote name='Denzalo']Civ 4 for $5? Yes, please.

Thanks for this![/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, this is just vanilla Civ 4 - it doesn't include any of the expansion packs. I'm going to hold out for the Complete edition. I know it isn't all that expensive anymore, but Civ 3 is still just fine with me. :)

[quote name='z3razerviper']how is direct to drive compared to steam and impulse I have always avoided them? Can you re-download your games forever and is the support good?[/QUOTE]

You do know that Steam lets you redownload your games without any hassles, right? And I've never had any problems with their support.

[quote name='Spacepest']I'd like to know the answer to this as well. *is a steam avoider*[/QUOTE]

Ok, so you'd really take a chance on Direct2Drive if you've avoided Steam? Doubtful.

[quote name='Spacepest']I'd like to know the answer to this as well. *is a steam avoider*[/QUOTE]

If you're afraid of Steam, why would you be okay with D2D??? I trust Valve way more than I'd trust IGN.

From poking at it, it doesn't look like D2D lets you use normal patches/mods. Also, the DRM/terms for each game seem to be slightly different, but in general, it looks like Internet is required for installation, but not play, and there is a limited number of reinstalls, after which you'd need to call support and get more. (They say unlimited, but in the fine print, they note that you need to call support for that.)

I got a feeling most of the rpg/mmo games they offer are going to be stuff thats only worth 5$ anyway.

Im SURE one of the RPGs is going to be The Last Remnant, I could bet on it.

Age of Conan was just on sale at the gogamer sale for 5$ (for the CE too) and LOTRS online for like 1$ or 1cent i forget.

Who knows maybe theyll surprise us with something great.

From poking at it, it doesn't look like D2D lets you use normal patches/mods. Also, the DRM/terms for each game seem to be slightly different, but in general, it looks like Internet is required for installation, but not play, and there is a limited number of reinstalls, after which you'd need to call support and get more. (They say unlimited, but in the fine print, they note that you need to call support for that.)

D2D is pretty much identical to steam, you gotta get the patches from D2D for instance, Oblivion's patch wont work from Bethesda, but the downloads from D2D do include the latest package, they compile them and put them on the page as soon as the patch is relased, do have the option of just doing the update from D2D as well. Its been a while since I have used D2D, but thats what I remeber about it.

MOD's worked in oblivion for me, as long as the patches were from D2D, unlimited download's, i have never had to call support, although I hardly ever uninstall/reinstall games so YMMV with this.

Im a big fan of D2D and steam, and hope both keep growing, I have no complaints about either, they both have there own DRM of course, kinda have to be so cant just give your Userid/password to anyone to be able to download em. *shrugs* I Can deal with that over starforce/securom any day of the week.

Didn't see anything of interest that I don't already own on Steam
I've never been a big fan of D2D either way, though I'll still keep an eye on this thread for upcoming weeks

Ready to jump on the XCom series. My first strategy game ever that involved shooting. Played all three and they are still worth way more than 5 dollars today. May get civ 4 as I don't know where my install disk is...

The X-Com bundle is definitely worth it... Also, can't wait to see what we get with RPG week.

I do wish that I could easily install it on both my laptop and desktop to play wherever.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vegan']If you're afraid of Steam, why would you be okay with D2D??? I trust Valve way more than I'd trust IGN.[/QUOTE]

Direct2Drive carries some games that are DRM-free. That means that you download an executable, it installs, and you're done. Your ability to reinstall the game in the future has no dependency on IGN, so if it goes out of business and takes down Direct2Drive's servers, you're unaffected.

Unless I completely misunderstand how Steam works, access to the games that you "buy" on Steam is forever at the whim of Valve. If you need to reinstall a game because you've reformatted your hard drive or replaced your rig, you're dependent on access to the Steam servers to reactivate the game. And Valve can and does deactivate licenses if it doesn't like how or where you bought a game that requires Steam activation. See, e.g., the great Orange Box deactivation campaign of 2007. I will not patronize a company that not only retains control of my access to games post-purchase but also wields that power capriciously.

wow civ 4 for $5. i know there was that other deal over the weekend for the complete edition for $15 from some other site. i didnt bite on that since my backlog is big enough and didnt feel like spending $15.

however, $5 is a much more palatable impulse buy.

anyways, is civ 4 still worth playing without the expansions?

Really, the one expansion I would say you need is Beyond the Sword. It actually has all the content of the other expansion except the single player scenarios. However, Civ 4 is an amazing game and a steal at that price. So I recommend going for it.

Civ 4 is an awesome buy from this lot also, but I bought that one waaaaaay back, the day it came out. I would highly recommend it to anyone that has not played it yet.

[quote name='dcm1602']I got a feeling most of the rpg/mmo games they offer are going to be stuff thats only worth 5$ anyway.

Im SURE one of the RPGs is going to be The Last Remnant, I could bet on it.

Age of Conan was just on sale at the gogamer sale for 5$ (for the CE too) and LOTRS online for like 1$ or 1cent i forget.

Who knows maybe theyll surprise us with something great.[/QUOTE]

Last Remnant can be registered on Steam, so that would be cool to get it via D2D then put it on Steam. REALLY hoping for a Mass Effect sale, as I had it on 360 but never got around to beating it before I sold my 360.

Thanks Cheapy

I think D2D is going to own a piece of my soul by the end of this month. While I'm hesitant about all the internet downloaded games, steam, impulse, d2d etc etc. and prefer hard copies, I can't say no to the deals they all give!

So anyone played GRAW 2 on the PC? I looked it up on wikipedia, and apparently, the gameplay on the PC is vastly different than the gameplay on the consoles.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']For what it's worth, this is just vanilla Civ 4 - it doesn't include any of the expansion packs. I'm going to hold out for the Complete edition. I know it isn't all that expensive anymore, but Civ 3 is still just fine with me. :)

You do know that Steam lets you redownload your games without any hassles, right? And I've never had any problems with their support.[/QUOTE]

I know how steam works and I like it and impulse I am asking how direct to drive is?

I'm a turn-based strategy neophyte. I love Final Fantasy Tactics, but my knowledge of the genre doesn't extend far beyond that.

Given that, would you fine folks recommend that I get Civilization IV, or the X-COM Complete Pack? Or would that be Sophie's Choice?

[quote name='Ryukahn']Last Remnant can be registered on Steam, so that would be cool to get it via D2D then put it on Steam. REALLY hoping for a Mass Effect sale, as I had it on 360 but never got around to beating it before I sold my 360.[/QUOTE]
I was wondering if Civ4 can be activated through Steam when purchased from D2D.
Just earlier today, I hoped someone would put it on sale because I'd like to play it, as CivRev has become a little mundane for me.

[quote name='11440']And Valve can and does deactivate licenses if it doesn't like how or where you bought a game that requires Steam activation. See, e.g., the great Orange Box deactivation campaign of 2007. I will not patronize a company that not only retains control of my access to games post-purchase but also wields that power capriciously.[/QUOTE]

They only do that under the SHADIEST of circumstances. Anyone who buys a Taiwanese license to a game for like $2 or whatever it was should know full well what's about to happen to it.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Last Remnant can be registered on Steam, so that would be cool to get it via D2D then put it on Steam. [/QUOTE]

Doesn't The Last Remnant HAVE to be activated through Steam? I looked at the back of the box at a store and it mentioned that you need a Steam account. That was the reason why I didn't buy it. I don't buy third party games through Steam because if there is problem, you can end up in a screwed up "merry-go-round" of pass the buck between the publisher and Valve. I've seen it often on the Steam forums.

[quote name='mokmoof']I'm a turn-based strategy neophyte. I love Final Fantasy Tactics, but my knowledge of the genre doesn't extend far beyond that.

Given that, would you fine folks recommend that I get Civilization IV, or the X-COM Complete Pack?[/QUOTE]

The only applicable advice is:

Buy both yesterday. :cool:

Civ IV has a somewhat steep learning curve if you're new to Civ games, but the climb is oh-so worth it.

[quote name='mogamer']Doesn't The Last Remnant HAVE to be activated through Steam? I looked at the back of the box at a store and it mentioned that you need a Steam account. That was the reason why I didn't buy it. I don't buy third party games through Steam because if there is problem, you can end up in a screwed up "merry-go-round" of pass the buck between the publisher and Valve. I've seen it often on the Steam forums.[/QUOTE]

It's possible, but I have no idea. I just know it's on the list of games that can be registered on Steam.

[quote name='mokmoof']I'm a turn-based strategy neophyte. I love Final Fantasy Tactics, but my knowledge of the genre doesn't extend far beyond that.

Given that, would you fine folks recommend that I get Civilization IV, or the X-COM Complete Pack? Or would that be Sophie's Choice?[/QUOTE]

The are both a little different in terms of turn-based strategy compared to FF Tactics but X-com is the most similar. Both games are considered some of the best of all time so I would really, really recommend playing both, esp. for the amount of value you are getting from X-com.

Civ IV might seem a little overwhelming at first but just make sure you use the tutorial. I bought the original about the time it came out and I just recently got the urge to start playing it again (I also just got the Beyond The Sword expansion from GoGamer's sale).

They are both great games that stand the test of time.

civ4 is awesome and totally worth the money. dont hold out, since no one can guarantee that the complete will be discounted anytime soon.

bread's done
Back