Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning

Started a witch elf, so much fun... Sticking with it I think.

And I've calibrated my new computer to run WAR perfectly, heres a couple pics:

ValonM_007.jpg

ValonM_004.jpg

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Well kids, I don't know if it was from the hotfixes or just the fact that I'm in Tier 3, but Order has suddenly gotten a heck of alot tougher. There is definitely more balance now and there was before.[/quote]

Ya... in Tier 3, it's friggen insane how good order is. Basically always lose...

Tier 1 - Win most of the time
Tier 2 - Win and Lose equal (But mostly order wins)
Tier 3 - Lose most of the time

In my intense curiosity of all things game-related, I ordered this from Amazon and should be online on Monday. I'm a total, complete, and utter MMORPG noob, but I'm looking forward to hopping in.

[quote name='silks']In my intense curiosity of all things game-related, I ordered this from Amazon and should be online on Monday. I'm a total, complete, and utter MMORPG noob, but I'm looking forward to hopping in.[/QUOTE]

The game features a pretty nice active help system that's automatically on when you start a new character, so it along with the beginning quests should help you get a good feel for the game in no time. Hope you enjoy it! :)

Seeing as my friend is being a dick and refuses to hit level 31 (for 3 god damn weeks) and then yells at me for trying to level, I'll be rolling on Eerie Downs Order. Don't really enjoy the idea of Open RvR in Warhammer, but a friend is rolling there so I figured I'd join in.

[quote name='Drizzt']The game features a pretty nice active help system that's automatically on when you start a new character, so it along with the beginning quests should help you get a good feel for the game in no time. Hope you enjoy it! :)[/QUOTE]

I hope you'll excuse a little n00b gushing.

This game is AWESOME. You're absolutely right, the active help system makes it incredibly easy to get into. One of my concerns was the learning curve, but the way WAR handles things makes it a total non-issue. I haven't gotten into the nuances of the game yet (making talismans, Mastery, etc.), but simply walking around, doing quests, hopping into Public Quests, and jumping into the RvR scenarios is SO MUCH FUN.

Most people I know scoff at the $15/month subscription fee (and it's certainly not for true CheapAssGamers), but I think it's totally worth it. The game is massive, there's a ton of stuff to do, and it even runs perfectly fine on my older PC (that can't even run Oblivion at a competent level).

Right now I'm on Bretonnia/Order as a Warrior Priest, known far and wide as the Scourge of Nurglings and Pub Rats alike. :D

P.S. - I saw one of the Halloween event's apparitions tonight. I looked out over the ocean and an armored horseman was riding across the water. He was there for a few moments and then he disappeared. I also found a witch and got to pick a prize out of her cauldron. Too cool.

Here's my Red Alert 3 code for the free Kossar's Helm:

WG8617-R11RD-HR7GB-PRUL6-DDXHJ

Good luck to whoever gets it.

Someone must have pillaged it, brennok.

Edit: I double checked the code so somebody got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone else have the WAR code from Red Alert 3 for the hat, I will trade you a RA3 map code that came with WAR for it. PM, thanks

Here's a heads up... If you plan do to massive scale RVR (nearing 100 vs 100) with a bunch of guilds in an attempt to take down an enemy city, don't do it. Destruction on Dark Crag decided to do just that. We started brilliantly by locking down Praag without much of the Order noticing. As we moved in Reikland, Order caught on and brought down quite a few people to play with us. Server side lag started picking up immensely here. It would take 5 or 10 secods for enemies to appear on your screen at time even though they were right next to you.

Still, we managed to lock down Reikland. We then push to Reikwald, we break downt he outer perimiter and find ourselves with a 60 minute timer to take down the lord in the area. 30 Minutes down pass and we knock down their man door. The lord and his phat lootz are so close. The casting lag is crazy at this point where healers can't heal or res most of the time. Anyway, we get to the Lord and start to burn him down. Everything seems to be going decently, and then there it is. Server Crash!

No problem, we'll just log back on mount up and stack right back on the Lord right? Wrong! The server completely reset, which means Praag is back to neutral and Reikland is back to Order controlled, and Destruction is left wondering what happened to all of their time and work?

Moral of the story... what could be the best part of this game doesn't even work.

so how is this game 1-2 months after launch? i've been keeping my eye on it and i've heard pretty good things about it. have they squashed a lot of the bugs and is everything fairly balanced?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']so how is this game 1-2 months after launch? i've been keeping my eye on it and i've heard pretty good things about it. have they squashed a lot of the bugs and is everything fairly balanced?[/QUOTE]

They've been applying hot fixes almost everyday since the game was released which has been taking care of small and annoying bugs here and there little by little which I like since it means that they don't want to try to wait until a big content patch to try to address all of the those small bugs at that time. Right now the game's Open RvR zones can be a little lacking due to scenarios (equivalent of battlegrounds if you've played WoW) being more popular with the playerbase. Mythic has attempted to address this by having enemy players be worth more experience and renown points when killed in an Open RvR zone, however the fact that they still have diminishing returns on players killed in Open RvR pretty much negates this since groups are going to be killing each other many times over if they're fighting over Open RvR objectives. This leads to the Open RvR zones being mostly barren as you level up.

The servers overall are stable and there haven't been any queues to get in since launch which some folks take as a good thing and others take as a bad thing. Aside from what Mooglestar posted above, I haven't experienced any server rollbacks. However what he did post highlights the challenge Mythic has in making their network code work more efficiently. The other big issue with the network code is that it can be hard to use the collision detection to block an enemy player at times. You'll get in front of them and stop them and then two seconds later they'll be past you.

In terms of class balance, the major complaint that I hear a lot are that the Bright Wizards are over powered. I haven't played a Bright Wizard, so I can't comment on that. I know that they typically went down easily when I got the jump on them with my Witch Elf which makes sense due to that class being a cloth killer. Other than that, I didn't notice too much else about them. Perhaps someone else has more insight regarding them. The other complaint is that Order's classes don't do as much overall damage as Destruction's equivalent. I don't agree with that since as a Destruction player, I got stomped by Order plenty of times.

Population balance tends to tilt in Destruction's favor as they have more variety to their races and classes based on looks. However, I've recently gone over to playing a Shadow Warrior on Order and have found it more enjoyable overall even though she's not even level 10 yet. Destruction was fun at first, but then just got a little dull to play since the quest flow made it feel like we were invading almost unchecked against Order since every camp I came to was a new invasion area that the Dark Elves had setup. That and I wanted to see what Order was like, and how it might feel playing the underdog faction. Oh yeah, and I also got tired of the Dark Elf quest givers with their high and mighty personalities but that could've been solved by going to a different questing area.

Despite these issues, personally I still feel Mythic is very dedicated to working with the playerbase on getting the game to a more polished state. If you can, I would wait until at least after the 1.1 patch that is scheduled to come out in December. Right now all that's known about it is that it will re-introduce two of the tank classes that were cut before the game was released. However, that patch should also contain some class balancing among other things, so if you're waiting to see how the game is shaping up, that's what I would do if I was in your position.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']so how is this game 1-2 months after launch? i've been keeping my eye on it and i've heard pretty good things about it. have they squashed a lot of the bugs and is everything fairly balanced?[/quote]

I echo Drizzt in saying wait at least until December for the 1.1 patch.

With that said, I will not be renewing my subscription past Nov. for three reasons:

1. Too much of a grind. The XP treadmill breaks down at level 20ish. The game stops being fun and starts being work.
  2. The game is either unstable in large RvR encounters, or just not functioning.
  3. Scenarios are the only reliably fun part of the game that allows for character advancement in XP and Renown Points, but after a while, the Scenarios just get boring.

I had a blast in my first month Pre-20, in no small part because I played with my guild. In fact, I have a bunch of characters 9-15 because the low level stuff is fun. After I hit the 20's, I was slowly worn down. At 29, I can't bring myself to log in.

Fallout 3, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead...I'll be happy to stop paying $15/mo for WAR.

While I'm glad they finally consolidated the servers, has anyone else noticed a staggering bump in Order's offensive power? Mind you, this might have been an off-night for the Destros, but we were getting spanked badly in T4. It wasn't even a contest, just engineers pulling us over into the flames of the bright wizards :\

Even in the T1 scenarios I went into, Order was trouncing destruction.

While I hate to post with a link to another board, the patch notes for the upcoming 1.0.5 update are too long to post here:

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/109335186/p1/?125

I guess I should be happy that the Maurader was apparently one of the least affected classes. I'm slightly perplexed on why the words 'damage' and 'increase' appear together under the Bright Wizard section, considering they already own the upper tiers. :\

I'm still on Bretonnia. They've allowed character transfers over to it, which seems to have gotten a little more action going (it's easier to form large PQ groups during prime time, that's for sure). I'm still loving the game though...but then, I'm an exploration/grinding whore.

[quote name='rgd2blck']I echo Drizzt in saying wait at least until December for the 1.1 patch.

With that said, I will not be renewing my subscription past Nov. for three reasons:

1. Too much of a grind. The XP treadmill breaks down at level 20ish. The game stops being fun and starts being work.
  2. The game is either unstable in large RvR encounters, or just not functioning.
  3. Scenarios are the only reliably fun part of the game that allows for character advancement in XP and Renown Points, but after a while, the Scenarios just get boring.

I had a blast in my first month Pre-20, in no small part because I played with my guild. In fact, I have a bunch of characters 9-15 because the low level stuff is fun. After I hit the 20's, I was slowly worn down. At 29, I can't bring myself to log in.

Fallout 3, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead...I'll be happy to stop paying $15/mo for WAR.[/QUOTE]

I'm at level 15 with my character right now, so I'm nearing the "breakdown point" that you're talking about. I'm still having fun, but the PQ's are getting harder and harder to do without a large group. Some of them are structured in such a way that the first two stages are easy (in fact, they can be done by one person), but then the third stage (the "boss") is some incredibly difficult monster that requires a group of eight people to tackle. It's a real pain when you put the time in with maybe one or two other guys and work through the first two stages, only to get massacred on the third and quickly realize that there's no way you're going to beat it with your current small group.

I'll let you guys know what I think over the next few weeks, as I hit level 20 and beyond.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all of the Server Transfers taking place, if anyone is moving into Dark Crag - Open RvR, and is in need of a strong Destro Guild, let me know.

I have played this game, played it for like 3 weeks or so. I really couldn't get into it that much, it was fun at first, but after awhile it started to get a bit annoying with the bad frame rates. It is probably my fault for the bad frame rates, but I've heard from my friend who has a really nice comp, that he's been getting some troublesome frame rates as well.

Can anyone confirm that?

I may play it again next year or something, but at this time it really isn't to enjoyable for me.

I'm playing on a notebook (T5800, HD3470) and am not getting that bad framerates... When I'm in a scenario or open rvr and theres a lot of casting then I do get some slow down but that is expected. It's nothing like Age of Conan.

Keep your drivers up to date and settings reasonable and you should be fine. There will be framerate issues at some point in high population areas though, its just a product of mmos.

I'm playing on a P4 3.0 GHz (Prescott/Socket 478) w/2GB RAM and a GeForce 7600GS 256MB (AGP) card. Walking around the game world is perfectly fine. The only place the framerate seriously chugs for me is in RvR. Whether it's in a scenario or in RvR out in the game world, the framerate drops when you get dozens of characters on-screen. It seems more server-side than client-side.

[quote name='52club']I'm debating on jumping on the Amazon deal. $24 for the game and 90 days of play.[/quote]
Do it, if you've got the PC to play it on its a blast.

Anyone still playing this? The Collectors edition & 60days sub is like $45 on Amazon. I'm going to jump into it I think. I've downloaded and played to rank 7 on the demo a couple of times. I'm interested in a CAG community (Server, Guild, etc) if one exists.

Also, I posted in the Recruit a Friend thread i found. I'm down to sign up under someone so they get 30days free.

bread's done
Back