Wario Ware Wii in Time magazine!(Tennis and Zelda details also)

After Warioware, we play scenes from the upcoming Legend of Zelda title, Twilight Princess, a moody, dark (by Nintendo’s Disneyesque standards) fantasy adventure. Now I’m Errol Flynn, sword fighting with the controller, then aiming a bow and arrow, then using it as a fishing rod, reeling in a stubborn virtual fish. The third game, and probably the most fun, is also the simplest: tennis. The controller becomes a racket, and I’m smacking forehands and stroking backhands. The sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin. At the end, I don’t so much put the controller down as have it pried from my hands.
:hot:

Tennis sounds even hotter for me personally.

When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler.

Gamers everywhere just got served.

Coincidentally, this is how most of us probably look at night when we're on the Interweb.

I can't find the article on Time's site, but its on the cover, up top. Apple used to do this as a way of introducing new products, its a smart way of leaking info to a different audience.

How is this tennis game supposed to work? Do I use the joystick to run back and forth, or am I actually running back and forth? I need to know this so I can call someone to install padded walls in my room before buying this thing.

[quote name='chargeup45']I can't find the article on Time's site, but its on the cover, up top. Apple used to do this as a way of introducing new products, its a smart way of leaking info to a different audience.

How is this tennis game supposed to work? Do I use the joystick to run back and forth, or am I actually running back and forth? I need to know this so I can call someone to install padded walls in my room before buying this thing.[/QUOTE]
:lol: Best way I would design it, being an uncreative schmuck who couldn't get a job mopping floors in Nintendo's conference room, would be to use the D-pad with your thumb to move around.

I just realized my fiancee gets Time. Happy days!

Man, that almost makes my pants too tight. I want to play NOW!

When is this issue of Time on the newsstands? I want to pick up the issue.

EDIT: Although I was sure they'd say 'No.', I called the two local EB's to see if they had started preorders yet. Here's a recorded conversation with the second store clerk:

Me: "Hello. Are you taking preorders for the Nintendo Wii yet"?

Clerk: "Um...yes."

Me: "You are"?

Clerk: "Oh, wait...no. Sorry, we aren't yet."

Me: "Oh...well, do you know when your store will begin taking preorders?"

Clerk: "Well, when we get something official. Like, with the 360, we began
the preorders after that guy that played Frodo was on MTV with it."

Me: "Elijah Wood. And thanks..."

Clerk: "But honestly, since they changed the name to Wii, I don't have the slightest bit of interest anymore."

Me: "So, because they changed the name, you no longer care about the system"?

Clerk: "Um...yeah."

Me: "..."

:drool: wipes :drool:

If my wife loves seeing me game now, wait until Wii comes out. Think she would charge admission for people to see me make a fool of myself. I would enjoy every minute of it. She probably would get sucked in too.

Got to hand it to Nintendo, they really got the buzz going.

Wait wait wait...

Consoles Sold in the U.S. Through March 2006 Sony PlayStation 2 -- 33.3 million Microsoft Xbox -- 14 million Nintendo GameCube -- 11 million Microsoft Xbox 360 -- 1.2 million Source: The NPD Group PlayStation 2 launched in '00; Xbox and GameCube, '01; Xbox 360, '05

I hate the majority of GC owners... based on the third party support, I always thought the GC sold horribly relative to the XB and PS2. But I guess its just because the owners of said consoles suck and don't buy third party games. That makes me sad.

Sounds hot..

I want to check out that tennis game.. (maybe Rockstar will bring their table tennis game to Wii.. or already is.. and hasn't announced it yet)

[quote name='botticus']Wait wait wait...

I hate the majority of GC owners... based on the third party support, I always thought the GC sold horribly relative to the XB and PS2. But I guess its just because the owners of said consoles suck and don't buy third party games. That makes me sad.[/QUOTE]

You got that right, most GC owners own their GCs for one thing: Nintendo games. I personally prefer games on the GC as my GC is my only stable system.. but in all honesty, most Nintendo games are just much better than the competition. Like, Mario Kart is way better than any other kart racer, Zelda is better than any other adventure series, Mario is a way better platformer than others, etc. If Nintendo makes a game for a genre, chances are it's better than any other game in the same genre.

Back to business, that article was very... reassuring. The game didn't sound like a gamer but he sure sounded like the game was easy to pick up and play. And I'm glad to hear that Nintendo's got some good games in store for us at launch, 6 or 7 games to be exact if what they said before will hold.

[quote name='levi333']None of the links are working. Is the site down for anyone else?[/quote] Yeah, looks like the site just went down.

Here is part of the article for you:

Nintendo gave TIME the first look at its new controller--but before I pick it up, Miyamoto suggests that I remove my jacket. That turns out to be a good idea. The first game I try--Miyamoto walks me through it, which to a gamer is the rough equivalent of getting to trade bons mots with Jerry Seinfeld--is a Warioware title (Wario being Mario's shorter, fatter evil twin). It consists of dozens of manic five-second mini games in a row. They're geared to the Japanese gaming sensibility, which has a zany, cartoonish, game-show bent. In one hot minute, I use the controller to swat a fly, do squat-thrusts as a weight lifter, turn a key in a lock, catch a fish, drive a car, sauté some vegetables, balance a broom on my outstretched hand, color in a circle and fence with a foil. And yes, dance the hula. Since very few people outside Nintendo have seen the new hardware, the room is watching me closely.

It's a remarkable experience. Instead of passively playing the games, with the new controller you physically perform them. You act them out. It's almost like theater: the fourth wall between game and player dissolves. The sense of immersion--the illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game world--is powerful. And there's an instant party atmosphere in the room. One advantage of the new controller is that it not only is fun, it looks fun. When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler. But when you're jumping around and shaking your hulamaker, everybody's having a good time.

After Warioware, we play scenes from the upcoming Legend of Zelda title, Twilight Princess, a moody, dark (by Nintendo's Disneyesque standards) fantasy adventure. Now I'm Errol Flynn, sword fighting with the controller, then aiming a bow and arrow, then using it as a fishing rod, reeling in a stubborn virtual fish. The third game, and probably the most fun, is also the simplest: tennis. The controller becomes a racket, and I'm smacking forehands and stroking backhands. The sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin. At the end, I don't so much put the controller down as have it pried from my hands.

John Schappert, a senior vice president at Electronic Arts, is overseeing a version of the venerable Madden football series for Nintendo's new hardware. He sees the controller from the auteur's perspective, as an opportunity but also a huge challenge. "Our engineers now have to decipher what the user is doing," he says. "'Is that a throw gesture? Is it a juke? A stiff arm?' Everyone knows how to make a throwing motion, but we all have our own unique way of throwing." But consider the upside: you're basically playing football in your living room. "To snap the ball, you 'snap' the remote back toward your body, which hikes the ball," Schappert says. "No buttons to press, just gesture a hiking motion, and the ball's in the hands of the QB. To pass the ball, you gesture a throwing motion. Hard, fast gestures result in bullet passes. Slower, less forceful, gestures result in loftier, slower lob passes. It truly plays like nothing you've ever experienced."

[quote name='slidecage']i can see it now a tennis game. Controller slips out of your hand and WHAMMMM your going to need a new tv .[/QUOTE]

If that happens to someone, I'd be surprised that they hadn't Darwin'd themselves by now.

And Rig, is there anyway for us to hear that conversation you recorded? I want to know what that douchebag at EB sounded like.

[quote name='botticus']Wait wait wait...

I hate the majority of GC owners... based on the third party support, I always thought the GC sold horribly relative to the XB and PS2. But I guess its just because the owners of said consoles suck and don't buy third party games. That makes me sad.[/quote]

Off topic, but:

If the 3rd party developers brought the games the gamecube at the same time as the X-box and PS2, I think the sales of the titles would be more equal. Why wait 6 month to play Tony Hawk, when you can pick it up for $10 when they finally release it for the cube for $50. Look at RE4 for how 3rd party titles could sell on the cube.

My $0.02.

[quote name='kdunn77']Off topic, but:

If the 3rd party developers brought the games the gamecube at the same time as the X-box and PS2, I think the sales of the titles would be more equal. Why wait 6 month to play Tony Hawk, when you can pick it up for $10 when they finally release it for the cube for $50. Look at RE4 for how 3rd party titles could sell on the cube.

My $0.02.[/quote]

Exactly. Quality third party titles released in a timely fashion (if they are multiconsole titles) sell pretty well on the Gamecube. Licensed shovelware does not sell, and late ports usually don't sell well. (Lego Starwars being an exception.. but that was a good game)

[quote name='kdunn77']Off topic, but:

My $0.02.[/QUOTE]

What Tony Hawk title ever came out late for the Cube...?

The only Series I can think of that religously got the 6 month delay treatment was Mortal Kombat (minus DA). A few games like Lego Star Wars (which still did well), DBZ and Spy Hunter come to mind as well, but it wasn't that prevelant. The Cube just tended to get the PS2 port (instead of the usually superiour Xbox version) minus all the online components, which immediately made it the worst option of the three (see Splinter Cell).

Sounds sweet. I'm particularly excited about the controller's smooth compatibility with sports games (tennis, mostly ;) )

[quote name='joeposh']What Tony Hawk title ever came out late for the Cube...?

The only Series I can think of that religously got the 6 month delay treatment was Mortal Kombat (minus DA). A few games like Lego Star Wars (which still did well), DBZ and Spy Hunter come to mind as well, but it wasn't that prevelant. The Cube just tended to get the PS2 port (instead of the usually superiour Xbox version) minus all the online components, which immediately made it the worst option of the three (see Splinter Cell).[/quote]

None did.... he might be confusing it with the Xbox version of Tony Hawk 3, which was released a few months after the GC and PS2 versions of the game (though it did contain some extra features).

[quote name='Strell']If that happens to someone, I'd be surprised that they hadn't Darwin'd themselves by now.[/QUOTE]

not really . there are tons of people who have Carpal Tunnel who can not hold onto items very tightly. Hell i got it right now (very mild case right) . Im starting to find it harder and harder to hold onto items. I keep dropping more and more stuff cause i cant hold on to the stuff anymore.

swing the controller to hard and it could slip out

[quote name='Rozz']None did.... he might be confusing it with the Xbox version of Tony Hawk 3, which was released a few months after the GC and PS2 versions of the game (though it did contain some extra features).[/QUOTE]

Actually, THPS3 came out for PS2 first (10/28/01), then the NGC version hit (11/13/01 - over one month later), followed by the Xbox version (03/04/02 - almost 4 months later:hot: ).

[quote name='munch']And Rig, is there anyway for us to hear that conversation you recorded? I want to know what that douchebag at EB sounded like.[/quote]

:lol: I tried playing it off my phone into another recording device (that I could hook to the PC) but it didn't transfer well enough. And my phone is crap, so I can't plug it in. You could always call the EB (Bloomington, IL) but I didn't get the first part of the conversation where he said his name...I think it might've been Chris?

Methinks I'm going in there to chat with him in a couple days, when I can preorder the system. I want to belittle him in-store.

[quote name='slidecage']not really . there are tons of people who have Carpal Tunnel who can not hold onto items very tightly. Hell i got it right now (very mild case right) . Im starting to find it harder and harder to hold onto items. I keep dropping more and more stuff cause i cant hold on to the stuff anymore.

swing the controller to hard and it could slip out[/quote]

It could possibly have a spot on the revmote for a wrist-strap, similar to the ones you could use for your DS and GBA. (Though, it would be big enough to fit around your wrist.) Problem solved.

[quote name='slidecage']not really . there are tons of people who have Carpal Tunnel who can not hold onto items very tightly. Hell i got it right now (very mild case right) . Im starting to find it harder and harder to hold onto items. I keep dropping more and more stuff cause i cant hold on to the stuff anymore.

swing the controller to hard and it could slip out[/quote]

It could possibly have a spot on the revmote for a wrist-strap, similar to the ones you could use for your DS and GBA. (Though, it would be big enough to fit around your wrist.) Problem solved.

[quote name='Rig']
It could possibly have a spot on the revmote for a wrist-strap, similar to the ones you could use for your DS and GBA. (Though, it would be big enough to fit around your wrist.) Problem solved.[/QUOTE]
Or it's the next surprise: the remote is made of soft rubber :shock:

[quote name='botticus']I hate the majority of GC owners... based on the third party support, I always thought the GC sold horribly relative to the XB and PS2. But I guess its just because the owners of said consoles suck and don't buy third party games. That makes me sad.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry that 3rd parties give the least effort into what's usually the worst edition of games I can get for another platform...?

There are very few people I know with only a Cube. Anyone I know with a Cube and a PS2 or Xbox or both always stays away from multiconsole Cube games, myself included, because the GC version is always the sloppiest. I hate the developers for not giving the GC the proper attention.

[quote name='alongx']I'm sorry that 3rd parties give the least effort into what's usually the worst edition of games I can get for another platform...?

There are very few people I know with only a Cube. Anyone I know with a Cube and a PS2 or Xbox or both always stays away from multiconsole Cube games, myself included, because the GC version is always the sloppiest. I hate the developers for not giving the GC the proper attention.[/QUOTE]
And the reason they put no effort into the GC version is likely what I described. It's either a vicious cycle or a self-fulfilling prophecy. Either is unfortunate.

I think about the time the DS came out Nintendo stopped just saying 'We're different' and started actually differentiating themselves from Sony and MS and the Wii definitely seems to continue that trend. I'll be getting one, hopefully at launch if demand doesn't crush supply (fuck standing in the rain for 8 hours again).

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Actually, THPS3 came out for PS2 first (10/28/01), then the NGC version hit (11/13/01 - over one month later), followed by the Xbox version (03/04/02 - almost 4 months later:hot: ).[/quote]

I didnt consider the GC version late because theres no way it could have been released in October as the GC launched a month later.

The Xbox version was probably releaed later because of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X as a launch title.

Focusing more on WHERE this article was printed...

Given just how freakin' huge the subscription base for Times is, this news is going to be in the hands of a whole lotta' people. The kind of people, who incidentally, are Nintendo's key demographic.

Who needs marketing when you can just let non-gamers play it, fall in love with the Wii, then gush all about it? Don't expect to see this kind of positive press from the non-hardcore fan base for the PS3 or 360 outside of "very pretty looking."

[quote name='botticus']Or it's the next surprise: the remote is made of soft rubber :shock:[/QUOTE]

Right, because that's what Kidtendo's audience wants. :)

Side Note #1 - Tennis might be the first sports game I've looked forward to since...well, ever.

Side Note #2 - I hope they just call it "Tennis". The simple name reminds me of the NES days.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Side Note #2 - I hope they just call it "Tennis". The simple name reminds me of the NES days.[/QUOTE]

So you'd say "Let's go play some Tennis"? Too confusing with the real thing, and such a suggestion to bring people into real physical activity would certain garner looks of complete and utter revulsion.

Better just call it "Wii Tennis" to avoid making people confused.

[quote name='Ecofreak']So you'd say "Let's go play some Tennis"? Too confusing with the real thing, and such a suggestion to bring people into real physical activity would certain garner looks of complete and utter revulsion.

Better just call it "Wii Tennis" to avoid making people confused.[/quote]

Yeah, cause playing with Madden when taken litterally is just so damn fun sounding.

Ice Hockey was one of my favorite NES titles. My friends and I never got it confused with the real thing. I'm also guessing turning on a game system while holding a controller and saying "Anyone want to play tennis?" would get the point accross.

bread's done
Back