Warner Bros. Red2Blu Program - Exchange Your HD DVD's for Blu-Rays

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

http://red2blu.com/

Shipping is $7 flat for any amount of titles it seems.

List of participating titles:

[quote name='h3llbring3r']#
16 Blocks
2001: A Space Odyssey: Special...

A:
Adventures of Robin Hood, The (1938)
Alexander Revisited: (Unrated) Final...
Ant Bully, The
Appleseed Saga:Ex Machina:LE (2D)
Assassination of Jesse James, The
ATL
August Rush
Aviator, The

B:
Batman Begins
Battle of the Bulge
Beerfest (Unrated)
Best of HD-DVD, The Vol. 1 ** ($9.95)
Best of HD-DVD, The Vol. 2 ** ($9.95)
Best of HD-DVD, The Vol. 3 ** ($9.95)
Best of HD-DVD, The: Action ** ($9.95)
Best of HD-DVD, The: Family ** ($9.95)
Blade Runner: Complete Collector's ** ($14.95)
Blazing Saddles: 30th Anniversary
Blood Diamond
Blue Planet
Bonnie and Clyde
Brave One, The
Bullitt: Special Edition

C:
Casablanca: Special Edition
Christmas Story, A
Clockwork Orange, A: Special Edition
Constantine
Cowboys, The

D:
Deliverance
Departed, The: Special Edition
Dirty Dozen, The
Dog Day Afternoon: Special Edition

E:
Enter the Dragon (check with the glitched BR thread, I think this one is Fubar on :BR:)
Eyes Wide Shut: Special Edition

F:
Firewall
Fugitive, The
Full Metal Jacket

G:
Galapagos
Getaway, The
Gods and Generals
Good Night and Good Luck
Goodfellas
Gothika

H:
Happy Feet
Harry Potter 1-5 Limited Edition ** ($14.95)
Harry POtter (#1)
Harry POtter (#2)
Harry POtter (#3)
Harry POtter (#4)
Harry POtter (#5)
House of Wax (2005)

I:
I Am Legend
In the Valley of Elah
Invasion, The

J:
Jailhouse Rock
Justice League: The New Frontier...

K:
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

L:
Lady In The Water
Lake House, The
Last Samurai, The
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the same.
Lethal Weapon: Director's Cut
Lethal Weapon 2: Director's Cut
Letters From Iwo Jima
License to Wed

M:
March of the Penguins
Matrix, The [Note: Blu-ray version is the 10th Anniversary Digibook.]
Michael Clayton
Million Dollar Baby
Music and Lyrics

N:
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Nip/Tuck: The Complete Fourth Season
No Reservations

O:
Oceans 11
Oceans 12
Oceans 13
Oceans 11,12, & 13 set ** ($9.95)
Omega Man, The
One Missed Call
Out For Justice

P:
P.S. I Love You
Pan's Labyrinth
Perfect Storm, The
Phantom of the Opera
Planet Earth: The Complete... ($9.95)
Polar Express
Purple Rain

R:
Reaping, The
Relentless Enemies
Return to House on Haunted Hill...
Rio Bravo
Road Warrior, The
Room With a View, A: Special Edition
Rumor Has It

S:
Scanner Darkly, A
Scooby-Doo: The Movie
Searchers, The
Shining, The: Special Edition
Smallville: The Complete Sixth Season ** ($9.95)
Sopranos, The Sixth Season Part 1 ** ($9.95)
Sopranos, The Sixth Season Part 2 ** ($9.95)
Space Cowboys
Sublime (Raw Feed Series) (Uncut)
Superman II: Richard Donner Cut, The
Superman Returns
Superman, The Movie
Swordfish
Syriana

T:
That's Entertainment Trilogy Giftset ** ($9.95)
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
TMNT
Training Day
Troy / Troy Director's Cut (Unrated) [note: Blu-ray version is the Director's Cut (Unrated)]
Twilight Zone: The Movie
Twister

U:
Ultimate Matrix Collection, The ** ($14.95)
Under Siege
Unforgiven: Special Edition

V:
V for Vendetta
Viva Las Vegas

W:
We Are Marshall
Wicker Man, The (Unrated/Rated)
Wild Bunch, The
Wyatt Earp

** Special instructions for exchanging this title, please see the site!

[/quote]

Thanks H3llbring3r

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anything different with the Planet earth bd set from the HD set? I plan on doing this for my combo discs but the other ones I'm not sure about unless the BD is better then the HD.

What kind of envelope have you guys been using to send in the cover arts. Have you been using padded ones or just folding the cover art up and using a regular paper one?

[quote name='ajh2298']What kind of envelope have you guys been using to send in the cover arts. Have you been using padded ones or just folding the cover art up and using a regular paper one?[/QUOTE]
I have an excessive amount of manila bubble and plastic bubble packs that I save from my web orders. I used one of those, but I imagine anything is fine.

Has anybody had any luck getting rid of the HD-DVD's on E-bay or Amazon once they have been upgraded? I have all 5 Harry Potter movies still sealed on HD-DVD and might open them up to get in on this. I might go to Kinkos tomorrow and make some color photocopies of the artwork first to replace the ones I send in to Warner Bros. just in case I list these for sale somewhere.

so they have most the HP movies up there now... But i have them in the HD-dvd suitcase thing... is there any way i can trade those in... Do you think if i printed them on good paper they would accept it?... I think im SOL...

[quote name='Lice']so they have most the HP movies up there now... But i have them in the HD-dvd suitcase thing... is there any way i can trade those in... Do you think if i printed them on good paper they would accept it?... I think im SOL...[/QUOTE]
Um, no.

One more quick question. Do you just send in the top half of the mailing label they e-mail you, or do you half to do something with that part that is next to the instructions also?

p.s.
The part I need the info on is called the "Merchandise Return mailing Acknowledgment".

[quote name='ajh2298']One more quick question. Do you just send in the top half of the mailing label they e-mail you, or do you half to do something with that part that is next to the instructions also?

p.s.
The part I need the info on is called the "Merchandise Return mailing Acknowledgment".[/QUOTE]

I taped the top half to a manila envelope and mailed it in. Remember to not tape up the barcodes. I kept the bottom half. I think it's for your reference. At least that's what I hope.

Originally was only planning to do Ultimate Matrix, Planet Earth, the Harry Potters, the 3 Supermans and Batman Begins, but in the end, went for the 25 title limit. With prices for Blurays coming down, hopefully I don't regret mailing in all my HD-DVD covers only to find most of these titles selling for $5 a few years down the road. I've already seen titles like V for Vendetta, Unforgiven on sale for as low as $10. Only a matter of time before they eventually show up at $5 I guess.

[quote name='consoleman']I taped the top half to a manila envelope and mailed it in. Remember to not tape up the barcodes. I kept the bottom half. I think it's for your reference. At least that's what I hope.

Originally was only planning to do Ultimate Matrix, Planet Earth, the Harry Potters, the 3 Supermans and Batman Begins, but in the end, went for the 25 title limit. With prices for Blurays coming down, hopefully I don't regret mailing in all my HD-DVD covers only to find most of these titles selling for $5 a few years down the road. I've already seen titles like V for Vendetta, Unforgiven on sale for as low as $10. Only a matter of time before they eventually show up at $5 I guess.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had about 8 more movies I could have done but being short of cash at the moment I only did the 5 Harry Potter movies. My reasoning was they were the only movies that I knew I wanted to have them all on one format and with 2 more movies coming out I now have a chance to have them all on Blu-ray. If HD-DVD's had a little more value I would have done the other ones also, than once I got the Blu-rays back I could auction/sell the HD-DVD versions. But most seem to sell only for $2.00 to $3.00 on E-bay and with their fees its not really worth it in the long run.

For all that replaced the Matrix box set did the one disc have issues that are listed in the BD glitch thread?

[quote name='ajh2298']Yeah, I had about 8 more movies I could have done but being short of cash at the moment I only did the 5 Harry Potter movies. My reasoning was they were the only movies that I knew I wanted to have them all on one format and with 2 more movies coming out I now have a chance to have them all on Blu-ray. If HD-DVD's had a little more value I would have done the other ones also, than once I got the Blu-rays back I could auction/sell the HD-DVD versions. But most seem to sell only for $2.00 to $3.00 on E-bay and with their fees its not really worth it in the long run.[/QUOTE]

I agree. No use taking the time to auction/sell the HD-DVD versions. I'm happy just to keep them and continue playing them even if I got the Blu-rays for them. I hate to say it, but I'm still partial to HD-DVD. Hated that it lost the format wars, but so glad I've been able to pick up so many at bargain prices.

From what I read I think on HDD.com Toshiba was working on a new type of disc for the HD-DVDs that would have let it hold as much or more than what a BD disc can hold. Only bad thing is it died befor they could final it. I still think HD was and could have been the better formant. I'm going to try and send in my matrix and oceans sets to amazon for trade in if they take them.

[quote name='sendme']From what I read I think on HDD.com Toshiba was working on a new type of disc for the HD-DVDs that would have let it hold as much or more than what a BD disc can hold. Only bad thing is it died befor they could final it. I still think HD was and could have been the better formant. I'm going to try and send in my matrix and oceans sets to amazon for trade in if they take them.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's always a next-gen format but I don't expect it'll materialize for years yet. Maybe that new format will be given life then.

HD would have had to been on the 360 from day one. Was HD and BD even out when the 360 came out?

Next format that I know of is 3d. Atleast that is what sony is trying to get working as of now. As for what Toshiba was working on during the HD BD war all it was, was a HD disc with more space. That way no one could say BD could hold more then HD because had toshiba been able to get it out there HD would hold the same if not more.

It's just too bad that, in the end, the format wars were not decided by consumers or which had the better technology but by the studios themselves.

[quote name='consoleman']It's just too bad that, in the end, the format wars were not decided by consumers or which had the better technology but by the studios themselves.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree more and was upset when WB went with Blu-Ray format only! This promotion help me to get over their decision.

[quote name='iluvmywife']I could not agree more and was upset when WB went with Blu-Ray format only! This promotion help me to get over their decision.[/QUOTE]

I agree but I wish other studios would follow. Short of this Red2Blu deal, I still find myself buying more HD-DVDs than Blurays.

Received my order today, consisting of:
The Departed
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Ocean's Eleven (2001), Twelve & Thirteen Giftset
Purple Rain
The Reaping
Superman, The Movie
Ultimate Matrix Collection
We Are Marshall

Placed order on July 21
Sent out cover art July 23
WB received cover art August 4
Blu-rays shipped August 13
Received order today

By the way, if anyone has any reservations about sending multi-lingual cover art, send away! Two of my HP films (Prisoner of Azkaban and Philosophers/Sorcerers Stone) were from iNetVideo and had the French (?) titles and alternate UPC codes, but they still worked fine.

Also, I had a "free" copy of 300 without the UPC code, and it also worked in the order.

Gotta say, I am impressed with the program. Now if Universal would start something similar...

[quote name='sendme']HD would have had to been on the 360 from day one. Was HD and BD even out when the 360 came out?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because many people were surprised that M$ went with the std. DVD format, and not something that hold more data. Had that happened, HD DVD would have been more readily in the market 1 yr. before the bluray capable PS3 was out.

Now that you say that I remember reading all that and one thing I do remember is M$ saying that the 360 would have cost a lot more had they put it in it. If they did put it in I think HD would have won and BD would have died or atleast the war would still be going on and we would see more players that played both. Also the deals like buy 3 get 2 free would still be going on.

I think there was speculation that MS would have come out with a XB360 model that would have had included HD-DVD support. That speculation died, I believe, after Warner declared it was no longer supporting HD-DVD.

Just a personal observation and maybe it didn't really happen this way, but HD-DVD looked to be following a strategy of affordable players but not too many bargains for movies while Blu-ray had expensive players (with Sony's PS3 being the cheapest among them at the time) but plenty of sales on movies. The studios were observing that Blu-ray movies were outselling HD-DVD and, in the end, opted for Blu-ray. Had the HD-DVD camp ran a campaign of low-priced players and low-priced movies for a period of time, and if MS threw bigger support for the format, HD-DVD might have come out on top. I guess enough with the "what ifs". What's done is done and what's past is past. No matter which format, if I can get movies at a bargain price (sub-$10 is my price-point), I'm happy. The Red2Blu program is a nice kicker.

While we are all talking about dead tech, am I the only one that misses Mini Discs? ^^ and if i remember correctly, HDDVD and Bluray were pretty neck and neck, but I think the studios just wanted to back something with ANY kind of customer base which means that even though PS3 had horrible sales, they still probably outsold an "add on" that M$ offered which made them promptly choose blu ray. What really surprises me is how fast they have been dropping in price considering it took longer for DVDs to get where blu rays are now.

Yeah the red2blu program is nice. I just sent my combo discs off last week. I just can't see the point in spending the little bit of cash to pay for the BD copy when my HD copy and players all work fine. Only sent for the combos because I can not stand combo discs. I hope other companies do this at some point but don't see it happening.

[quote name='sendme']Now that you say that I remember reading all that and one thing I do remember is M$ saying that the 360 would have cost a lot more had they put it in it.[/QUOTE]
Again, IMO, Toshiba should have supplemented the cost of the drives. Yeah, they would have lost a little money, but they would had made it up with software sales.

HD DVD and blu-ray came out in Spring/Summer 2006; the 360 came out late 2005, so neither format was really ready when the 360 came out.

I waited a while to jump on this, and I put my order in on the 17th, shipping my covers out the same day. Got the receipt confirmation of the covers arrival on the 21st, got my shipping notification this morning, and they'll be delivered the 28th according to UPS.

11 day turnaround? WTF?? Haven't most of you had to wait a month?

[quote name='Ronin317']I waited a while to jump on this, and I put my order in on the 17th, shipping my covers out the same day. Got the receipt confirmation of the covers arrival on the 21st, got my shipping notification this morning, and they'll be delivered the 28th according to UPS.

11 day turnaround? WTF?? Haven't most of you had to wait a month?[/QUOTE]
I personally waited about 2 weeks on each of my orders. No complaints from me with this promotion.

Never heard of this promotion, I'll have to give it a whirl with the few titles I picked up previously.
cagus.smile.jpg

blu ray had disney. once disney became exclusive it was almost a 100% guarantee taht blu was going to win. unless hd-dvd started making the discs $5 and the players $50, that pretty much clinched it

Got my discs yesterday with one snag, they sent all but The Last Samurai. It was circled & checked on the receipt but there was no indication of a refund or if it was back-ordered or anything. So I just called customer support and was told it's out of stock and I'll get a refund for it.

The lady (who couldn't pronounce "Samurai") asked if I needed anything else and I said "So you're telling me I don't get my Blu-ray disc AND I have no cover art for my HD-DVD?" and she nonchalantly says "Yeah, there's no way we can give you the art back."

I checked my account and the $5.22 is back in there. I'm not sure what to do, as of 1:24pm EST they still have it listed on the R2B site. I think I'm going to give them a call back later once I leave work and raise a stink about it.

I would. You sent in the cover and it is not your falt that they could not fill it. So what you might take longer to get it to you. They should still send it to you. Just giving you your money back is not worth it because now you can't get the BD for the HD. I just got mine today and will chances are trade the Matrix set and Oceans set in on amazon.

I placed my covers in the mail today (08/31) for:
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
V for Vendetta
March of the Penguins
Polar Express
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Hopefully the turn around time won't be too bad.

Got a question. I want to print new covers for 300, V for Vendetta, Happyfeet and Batman Begins. What sort of paper should I use if I were to do this at, say Kinkos (or whatever they're called now) since I lack a color printer?

[quote name='h0mi']Got a question. I want to print new covers for 300, V for Vendetta, Happyfeet and Batman Begins. What sort of paper should I use if I were to do this at, say Kinkos (or whatever they're called now) since I lack a color printer?[/QUOTE]
I used some HP photo quality paper. Scanned them into my computer at 600 dpi, sized them accordingly and printed them out.

My covers were delivered to the red2blu program HQ on 9/11. Haven't received a confirmation e-mail from them yet. Hopefully they'll confirm soon.

Received my discs from the program yesterday, September 29th. I consider myself lucky, that seems like a pretty quick turn around time.

okay so I went through about 12 pages of this topic and became interested. some questions though I never saw answered.

What do you actually receive back? Do you get a new and sealed blu ray copy, or do you just get disk and artwork back?

I still have the back paper from my complete matrix collection, did that work sending that in for the ultimate matrix collection?

Finally, I have the departed on HDDVD, but it's not the combo disk, which is what is listed on the site. will this one still be accepted, or must it be the combo disk?

[quote name='Nico0020']okay so I went through about 12 pages of this topic and became interested. some questions though I never saw answered.

What do you actually receive back? Do you get a new and sealed blu ray copy, or do you just get disk and artwork back?

I still have the back paper from my complete matrix collection, did that work sending that in for the ultimate matrix collection?

Finally, I have the departed on HDDVD, but it's not the combo disk, which is what is listed on the site. will this one still be accepted, or must it be the combo disk?[/QUOTE]
You get a brand new sealed blu ray disk, including case, disk, and artwork. I was able to double-dip on the Matrix set, but I got in on it early and they've since changed how that set works, so I don't know if they'll accept the back paper. And yes, your non-combo version of Departed will work fine.

They still do take the back paper. They took it off the site becuase they got a lot of emails from people saying they no longer had it. I would email them to make sure first. Thats what I did and sent a copy of the email saying I could send it along with my covers. That way they would have something showing that I was told I could send it.

for anyone that got 300, was it just the blu or was it the complete experience. i recently started going through my collection and realized i had 2 copies.

[quote name='Animal7390']for anyone that got 300, was it just the blu or was it the complete experience. i recently started going through my collection and realized i had 2 copies.[/QUOTE]
The first release :br: (not the CE).

Still waiting for them to put casablanca back up on the site. I'd settle for non UCE version of it.

For those who are printing the covers out a fedex/kinkos, how much is it costing? What type of paper n such are you using? I'm probably going to give a few of my titles that I get blu's of, but the ones I keep I'd like to make covers for. Are they coming out pretty authentic looking?

[quote name='Nico0020']For those who are printing the covers out a fedex/kinkos, how much is it costing? What type of paper n such are you using? I'm probably going to give a few of my titles that I get blu's of, but the ones I keep I'd like to make covers for. Are they coming out pretty authentic looking?[/QUOTE]

Our first test used some card stock which turned out way too grainy and too much detail was lost.

My best results came from some color laser "presentation" stock (W/E that means) it was in the 30# range.

End result: Uniform fields of nothing but dark black areas are just the slightest bit lighter compared to the dye sub. prints on the originals. All other colors and detail seemed fine to me. However, any foils or metallic pigments are lost, of course.

[quote name='Gorge']I have a question. If I send in Planet Earth do I send in the paper cover or the cardboard box it came in?[/QUOTE]

I sent in the paper cover, no box

I know it's been discussed, but I don't remember the outcome:

What's the deal with their provided shipping label having a different address than mine under the "FROM" section. Should I be worried and/or change it?

bread's done
Back