Was bored, did mod.

I was so happy with the pics more than anything LOL! I'm not a photographer, so when that happens I'm very happy LOL!

So, it's been a while since I've posted a project or finished one that I've already started :p. bought this dumb thing. Works just fine.

E52C0017-114B-458B-AEA6-0A55FC33D3AF-3353-000002854147AC45.jpg

But the shape and feel are 'meh' at best. So this...

66176EC2-46E9-4DCB-AC97-B0A32C2D7163-3353-0000028546019F0E.jpg

So far so good. Spent about 2 hours on it. I'd say on the mod complexity scale this is like a 5-6 (if I include the rechargeable battery that I'll have to add). Amazingly able to use the PC board from the retrobit controller! All but the start and select buttons line up just fine with some notching to the board to make it fit. Just gonna use little micro switches mounted into the original buttons for them instead. Works so far. This is way easier and quite a bit cheaper than making them from scratch like I was planning. Hell, maybe I can work with retrobit to get a kit that'll actually plop right into a SNES controller. How sweet would that be?! No cutting required, just swap the PB board and go!

Here you can see the micro switches temporarily wired up (because they're needed to sync the controller)

CA1DA874-CDE3-4066-B089-A6E3347F43B8-3630-000002B35CF5AFAD.jpg

You monster! How could you do this to the Super Famicom controller?!

Anyway, pretty cool mod you did. I'm not as shocked, considering replacement parts are a pain the butt to find. I'd like to see you do it to a Classic Controller, since those are more easily available than 20 year old controllers.

Bah, there are millions of these damned things. Everyone always freaks out when you cut up an original SNESSFC controller as if they're rare :/

May wanna hold off on that assessment :( Just fubared that controller. Grounded something out, it's toast. Sucks, it was really close to being done. Off to eBay to see if I can't find another for dirt cheap...

I wish those controllers came with the purple SNES buttons. I would totally buy a kit to turn one of my SNES controllers wireless.

Could always swap the purple buttons over. They're the exact same shape and size ;)

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Oh, at least you learned something. Do your checking twice lol.[/QUOTE]

It was a really stupid mistake. I had 2 wires soldered to the board hanging loose. They got smooshed between the shell and a capacitor. Them I of course turned it on :(

[quote name='wiggyx']Could always swap the purple buttons over. They're the exact same shape and size ;)

It was a really stupid mistake. I had 2 wires soldered to the board hanging loose. They got smooshed between the shell and a capacitor. Them I of course turned it on :([/QUOTE]

How complex would a button swap be?

For sure! They're dirt cheap and there's all sorts of freeware out there. When I'm back at my PC I'll post what info I have for ya :)

Wiggy are you trying to work on other wireless controllers as well? After the Awesome Controller kickstarted failed I needs wireless for all my old systems :p

I love how that page says "all you need is to know how to solder". My ass. I've been trying to get that shit to work for months :/

So I think this might be a good place to ask about this.

I want to make an audio switch for a 3.5mm line that can switch between headphones and speakers easily. Yes, I know I could just use an extension audio cord and just plug/unplug the desired device as needed, but I'd rather just leave everything plugged into a tiny switch box that has a button or toggle.

So basically:

Computer -> (3.5mm output audio) -> [Switch Box I'm building with button] ---> 3.5mm Headphones
............................................................................╚==> 3.5mm Speakers

I've searched online and can't really find something that would do this, and the few I do find are really ugly. I'm guessing this is a stupid simple project to do, and it would be fun to start out making something I need and can design to look nice.

Thoughts?

Simple. 3-pole on-on switch. This will allow you to connect 3 inputs (L signal, R signal, & Ground) with 6 outputs (2 sets, 1 on each side of the switch). The "on-on" implies that each throw of the switch is an "on" or complete circuit. I'll draw a little diagram, hold on.

3poleon-on.jpg

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Hey, wiggyx. Do you know where to get a tool or board to program microcontrollers? Or do I have to build one myself. I was thinking about doing this project. http://denki.world3.net/pad_converters.html It looks like I don't even need a breadboard for the converter, maybe one for the programming.[/QUOTE]

You can get USB programmers for dirt cheap. This is what I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-AVR-Pr...849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2ea05d39

Then I use eXtreme Burner - AVR to write files.

http://extremeelectronics.co.in/avr-tutorials/gui-software-for-usbasp-based-usb-avr-programmers/

Last edited by a moderator:
What chip or chips are you trying to program? But yes, that's the exact same programmer ;)

Dude, my diagram shows up a different color ever time I check it. It was green before, now it's red. Xmas themed graphic? LOL! Maybe I'll re-save as a PNG. It's pretty hard to read when it's monochromatic :/

Actually yes, I have that all sorted out. Got it working, just need to clean up the mess of wires and pack everything into the controller and receiver housing.

I've reached out to the fellow that figured those setup out and asked either for his permission to use the info and files he's created to make kits and/or modded units to sell, or any interest he may have in making some money by helping out. He specifically states that he'd rather people not use his work for financial gain, and I can totally appreciate that and will respect his wish if that's what he wants in the end.

Hopefully I'll hear something back soon.

According to this, these can make a fine kit for a wired retro adapter.:
Atmel ATmega8-P
12MHz Crystal, HC49U or U4 package
22pF ceramic disc capacitor
100nF ceramic disc capacitor
10µF electrolytic capacitor
68Ω resistor, 0.125w
2k2Ω resistor, 0.125w
3V6 Zener diode, 0.5w
1 row pin headers 1
USB-B PCB header 2
2x3 6 pin header 3
10kΩ resistor, 0.125w 4
And with a breadboard!

This could be cheaper than getting a wireless one.

Greetings all - does anyone happen to know what the size of the 6x screws are for the NES that holds the top half to the bottom half. I had one apart for awhile, and somehow the screws have wandered off since then.....

Thanks for any info anyone has.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Greetings all - does anyone happen to know what the size of the 6x screws are for the NES that holds the top half to the bottom half. I had one apart for awhile, and somehow the screws have wandered off since then.....

Thanks for any info anyone has.[/QUOTE]

I believe they are 1/2 inch length Phillips. Probably 1/16 inch diameter. They have a rounded head and a flat end. I measured to the best of my ability. They appear almost rainbow finished in the light.

[quote name='wiggyx']There was just a thread about this on cover project. Lemme see if I can find it...

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=11841.0[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ZombieToast']That discussion is about cartridges, though, and Captain Insano is talking about the console itself. I'm not sure what size they are, but Nintendo Repair Shop sells them:
http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/1621-Set-of-Six-Replacement-Screws-for-NES-console/[/QUOTE]

What was wrong with my answer? :lol: And how long has nintendo repair shop existed? There went my idea for a website that I never followed through with in 2002.

[quote name='slowdive21']What was wrong with my answer? :lol: And how long has nintendo repair shop existed? There went my idea for a website that I never followed through with in 2002.[/QUOTE]
Nothing, really; my answer is just more convenient. Heh. I'm not sure how long they have been in business, but I know the site has been around since at least 2005.

Thanks for all the info everyone - Thanks for the measurements Slowdive21. I didn't realize the ones inside the NES are the same size as the 6x outside ones (Thanks ZombieToast + Nintendo Repair Shop for that info). I'll take one out of the inside and see if i can find a match anywhere locally. I had always kept the outside screws separate from the inside ones when taking the NES apart.

All this trouble just to put in a blue LED.... MOD stage one of many for this NES (hopefully).

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Thanks for all the info everyone - Thanks for the measurements Slowdive21. I didn't realize the ones inside the NES are the same size as the 6x outside ones (Thanks ZombieToast + Nintendo Repair Shop for that info). I'll take one out of the inside and see if i can find a match anywhere locally. I had always kept the outside screws separate from the inside ones when taking the NES apart.

All this trouble just to put in a blue LED.... MOD stage one of many for this NES (hopefully).[/QUOTE]

I think there are 2 screws that are longer inside, but I haven't taken one apart for a while.

[quote name='slowdive21']I think there are 2 screws that are longer inside, but I haven't taken one apart for a while.[/QUOTE]

Yep, there are 2 that are silver-ish and a little longer than the rest - they hold the 72 pin in place if i remember correctly.

Dude, making those controllers seriously sucks. It's SOOOOO much work.

The guy got back to me and basically said he doesn't want anyone selling his work. The way I look at it, I'll gladly flash the chips for people and assemble parts. Any idiot can do that. People are beating down his door to make kits, and he doesn't seem like he's got any interest.

I sent another PM. I really think getting a plug and play kit going would be really doable and popular. We'll see.

But yeah, I was really disappointed when I read his reply, especially because I'm not asking to just take his work and make money from it, but rather to help him to make some money from his own work. I'll keep you posted, as always :)

Time to finish that GBA SP in a DMG that's been on the back burner forever. Just needed a little bit of old school SCSI ribbon to help me out :)

C228FC38-3C61-4134-9D01-CE8E5F77DBE7-1368-000000BA3C4F9AB7.jpg

bread's done
Back