[Watchmen Review] Does a Flawless Adaptation Make a Masterpiece?

I would actually give it a lower rating. Saw it last night. It didn't zip by like you said but felt to drag 3/4's of the way through. It felt long and I don't think I'd want to sit through a longer director's cut. Sometimes, you shouldn't make a movie verbatim and use the exact lines from a comic because it doesn't translate well into spoken language which was my issue with Sin City.

I give Watchmen a C-.

Movie was great. If you enjoyed the graphic novel than you'll like the movie.

To many critical douche bags. Internet users are never satisfied! They make it perfectly like the novel and people get pissed and if they don't perfectly match it people get pissed.

Make up your minds...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkNessBear']Movie was great. If you enjoyed the graphic novel than you'll like the movie.

To many critical douche bags. Internet users are never satisfied! They make it perfectly like the novel and people get pissed and if they don't perfectly match it people get pissed.

Make up your minds...[/quote]

I personally liked Jurassic Park TYVM

I'd have rather seen it done as a mini-series spread out over a year in 12 one hour or longer episodes. Essentially the same way it was originally published. This would have allowed everything to be included but kept the length in bearable increments.

At first glance this approach might sound incredibly expensive but twelve episodes in one year is a half season for US TV. And although they didn't have a high SFX burden, shows like 'The Sopranos' in their concluding seasons got into very high costs due to the lead actors negotiating extraordinary salaries. The casts of shows like 'Seinfeld' and 'Friends' were pulling down stunning amounts towards the end of their runs and continued to reap massive rewards from the syndication revenue.

So, considering the massive built-in audience, it was doable. Selling the idea to an HBO or Showtime was the hard part. They like series that start out cheap and only get costly if they become hits and justify it. Will a significant number of people subscribe just for that show? For the full length Watchmen I would have been willing to pay that cost.

[quote name='epobirs']I'd have rather seen it done as a mini-series spread out over a year in 12 one hour or longer episodes. Essentially the same way it was originally published. This would have allowed everything to be included but kept the length in bearable increments.

At first glance this approach might sound incredibly expensive but twelve episodes in one year is a half season for US TV. And although they didn't have a high SFX burden, shows like 'The Sopranos' in their concluding seasons got into very high costs due to the lead actors negotiating extraordinary salaries. The casts of shows like 'Seinfeld' and 'Friends' were pulling down stunning amounts towards the end of their runs and continued to reap massive rewards from the syndication revenue.

So, considering the massive built-in audience, it was doable. Selling the idea to an HBO or Showtime was the hard part. They like series that start out cheap and only get costly if they become hits and justify it. Will a significant number of people subscribe just for that show? For the full length Watchmen I would have been willing to pay that cost.[/QUOTE]

I am going to reserve judgment of the film until I've seen it in a decent movie theatre (not the two shitty establishments that try to pass as theatres where I'm living now (these things weren't theatres in the 30s)), but I totally agree with your sentimentality epobirs. HBO could have had a gold mine here, too bad. Still, I hope they do Preacher at some point. There are tons of graphic novels/Vertigo comics that would be superb as mini-series or full on series such as The Losers. I think if done properly, Y-The Last Man could be done as either a television series/mini series or a film series over 3 movies ala Lord of the Rings/Star Wars.

Just out of curiosity epobirs, where did you go to university?

Do answer the OP's question ... no.

If I were to make a flawless JPG adaption of the Mona Lisa, it would not be a masterpiece.

I'd like to see Watchmen, but the idea of the director of the amazingly boring 300 being the same person means I'll be more than happy to see professional reviews.

nope I liked 300 as well. it gets better the more I watch it. so does sin city actually. though I will admit I have my favorite parts and everything else I just skip or flip the channel and try to come back in time.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I am going to reserve judgment of the film until I've seen it in a decent movie theatre (not the two shitty establishments that try to pass as theatres where I'm living now (these things weren't theatres in the 30s)), but I totally agree with your sentimentality epobirs. HBO could have had a gold mine here, too bad. Still, I hope they do Preacher at some point. There are tons of graphic novels/Vertigo comics that would be superb as mini-series or full on series such as The Losers. I think if done properly, Y-The Last Man could be done as either a television series/mini series or a film series over 3 movies ala Lord of the Rings/Star Wars.

Just out of curiosity epobirs, where did you go to university?[/QUOTE]

Me? I'm a high school drop-out with a GED and some community college here and there. Between fierce ADD coming from my mother's side and some erratic periods in my childhood, formal education beyond that legally mandated was never really in the cards. What made the difference was being a voracious reader. Funny thing, the authorities never looked for truants at the library and the library staff never thought my presence in the late morning indicative of anything wrong.

if youve never seen any of the comics would it still be an enjoyable movie? or would you need some knowledge of the series ?

[quote name='lokizz']if youve never seen any of the comics would it still be an enjoyable movie? or would you need some knowledge of the series ?[/quote]
It helps ALOT to read the comic first. With the comic you can better read at your own pace and absorb the story better. While with the movie I'd say you can enjoy it, but you may need to watch it again to get full appreciation. Last night I went with seven or so other people and half of them have never read it, but they enjoyed it despite not fully being able to grasp the story. Though I think if you go in there expecting a serious comic book movie instead of an action movie, you should be fine.

bread's done
Back