WD Scorpio Black 500 GB 2.5-inch SATA 7200 RPM $67.84 on Amazon.com

[quote name='Pounce!']With 7200rpm, 16mb cache, 5 yr warranty...I would hope for a DECREASE in load time. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I did not know warrantys affected l load time. *duck*

[quote name='Davivascaino']it is not recommended having a 7200 rpm drive, it might overheat the ps3. this is what I have heard in several forums[/QUOTE]

that is so 2008

[quote name='Davivascaino']it is not recommended having a 7200 rpm drive, it might overheat the ps3. this is what I have heard in several forums[/QUOTE]

Have 500GB 7200 RPM installed in my fat PS3 and would only overheat (Fan kicks into overdrive) when I don't leave the glass door to my entertainment center open. If you have your PS3 in the open I don't think there will any issues.

[quote name='DuffHomer']worth the extra imo, since it's compatible with PS3 and load times will decrease since it's a 7200RPM

http://www.amazon.com/Scorpio-Black-Cache-Mobile-WD5000BPKT/dp/B004LR1RPK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also if you got no idea how to upgrade your PS3 HDD, check out this guide

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-hard-drive-upgrade-guide[/QUOTE]Great drive for a great price. I have the 750GB version of this drive and it works excellent in the PS3. It's one of seven Scorpio Black drives that I own between my PS3, a HTPC and a laptop.

[quote name='Davivascaino']it is not recommended having a 7200 rpm drive, it might overheat the ps3. this is what I have heard in several forums[/QUOTE]That's old advice for older drives. The Scorpio Black doesn't put out any more heat than any 5400 RPM drive. I've not seen any heating issues on my PS3 with my Scorpio Black installed.

A 7200RPM laptop drive is only going to draw a watt or so more than a 5400RPM, so this is some pretty awful advice. It's absolutely negligible. This is not new, either. 7200RPM drives have always been fine to use with a PS3. Any PS3 that overheated with a 7200RPM drive would have also overheated with a 5400RPM drive. Anyone experiencing a failure right after installing a 7200RPM drive either messed up the install, or it was a coincidence.

I have read a couple reviews that showed faster drives having little effect on loading times, however. I think I even saw someone mentioning trying an SSD and still not getting a worthy improvement...

[quote name='dandragonrage']A 7200RPM laptop drive is only going to draw a watt or so more than a 5400RPM, so this is some pretty awful advice. It's absolutely negligible. This is not new, either. 7200RPM drives have always been fine to use with a PS3. Any PS3 that overheated with a 7200RPM drive would have also overheated with a 5400RPM drive. Anyone experiencing a failure right after installing a 7200RPM drive either messed up the install, or it was a coincidence.

I have read a couple reviews that showed faster drives having little effect on loading times, however. I think I even saw someone mentioning trying an SSD and still not getting a worthy improvement...[/QUOTE]
Apparently is makes a decent difference in install times though. Load times are kinda negligible because you're not moving as much data as an install. Big differences can be seen in GT5 though.

The problem I have is getting the data from my current drive into this one. When I changed ps3's it was easy because I was able to just link the old ps3 to the new one and then sell my old ps3 afterwards.

I can't backup to a third hard drive first. In this case, my external drive from Black Friday is already used for backing up my laptop data so I can't reformat it to fat32.

Is there a way to get my ps3 data onto this wd scorpio without needing a third drive (already in use)? Some way to link the two like you can link ps3's for data transfer?

[quote name='PublikDefender']The problem I have is getting the data from my current drive into this one. When I changed ps3's it was easy because I was able to just link the old ps3 to the new one and then sell my old ps3 afterwards.

I can't backup to a third hard drive first. In this case, my external drive from Black Friday is already used for backing up my laptop data so I can't reformat it to fat32.

Is there a way to get my ps3 data onto this wd scorpio without needing a third drive (already in use)? Some way to link the two like you can link ps3's for data transfer?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried this, but in theory it seems sound:
http://community.us.playstation.com...-drive-to-my-new-PS3-hard-drive/td-p/30900764

[quote name='dohdough']Apparently is makes a decent difference in install times though. Load times are kinda negligible because you're not moving as much data as an install. Big differences can be seen in GT5 though.[/QUOTE]I've seen noticeable increases in boot times and install times with the 7200RPM drive. Load times, it's a little faster on the items I've checked it with, though nothing night and day in difference.

[quote name='shrike4242']Great drive for a great price. I have the 750GB version of this drive and it works excellent in the PS3. It's one of seven Scorpio Black drives that I own between my PS3, a HTPC and a laptop.

That's old advice for older drives. The Scorpio Black doesn't put out any more heat than any 5400 RPM drive. I've not seen any heating issues on my PS3 with my Scorpio Black installed.[/QUOTE]

Even with an original 60 GB PS3 though? So nervous about doing anything to it that is even rumored to be bad for it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Even with an original 60 GB PS3 though? So nervous about doing anything to it that is even rumored to be bad for it.[/QUOTE]

Installed a 7200 with my old 40GB and been working for about a year.

[quote name='PhQTwo']For roughly $11 more you can opt for the 750 GB Scorpio Black.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...d=1356640192&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+scorpio+black[/QUOTE]

This is the one i've been eyeing for awhile. It was down to $72 within the last month or so, but i'd resolved not to buy anything else for myself until after Christmas was over. Now part of me wants to wait until it drops to that price again, but my PS3 is down to its last three gigs...

[quote name='dandragonrage']A 7200RPM laptop drive is only going to draw a watt or so more than a 5400RPM, so this is some pretty awful advice. It's absolutely negligible. This is not new, either. 7200RPM drives have always been fine to use with a PS3. Any PS3 that overheated with a 7200RPM drive would have also overheated with a 5400RPM drive. Anyone experiencing a failure right after installing a 7200RPM drive either messed up the install, or it was a coincidence.

I have read a couple reviews that showed faster drives having little effect on loading times, however. I think I even saw someone mentioning trying an SSD and still not getting a worthy improvement...[/QUOTE]

Well said, i cannot believe that advice.

bread's done
Back