We had to import RPG Thread XII from Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Vesperia and Legendia still in shrink wrap.

But as a Tales fan, I still believe that I should own and play ToS Wii.

Or as a Tales fan, should I pretend that it doesn't exist?

[quote name='Indignate']I have Vesperia and Legendia still in shrink wrap.

But as a Tales fan, I still believe that I should own and play ToS Wii.

Or as a Tales fan, should I pretend that it doesn't exist?[/QUOTE]

As a Tales fan you should own and play it, then pretend it doesn't exist.

Better yet, just watch a LP of it on youtube. It saves you money and you get to see why only TMK enjoys it.

I'm not really digging the voice acting in Devil Survivor Overclocked.

I too have been debating Tales of Symphonia 2. I love Tales. I love Symphonia. But I just remember a lot of bad juju when that came out.

[quote name='Zmonkay']I too have been debating Tales of Symphonia 2. I love Tales. I love Symphonia.But I just remember a lot of bad juju when that came out.[/QUOTE]

That's because it's a horrible game. It's the kind of horrible that will make you question your enjoyment of the original.

Dawn of the New World's been on my radar as well, but because of all the bad stuff I've heard about it, I probably won't buy it for much more than $10. Got too much other stuff to play, anyway (including Abyss and Vesperia).

I picked up TOS2 a couple of Black Fridays ago for like $6. For that price it's worth it even if all I ever do with it is admire the cover art.

So I ended up buying SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked and I don't even have a 3DS yet. Anyone else have the habit of buying games for system(s) they don't own?

I owned Jeanne d'Arc and LocoRoco like two years before I even got a PSP and purchased several other games a good while before I got the system. Got them on clearance at Meijer for $10 each when they were full retail everywhere and just decided to sit on them, hah.

Same here, with PSP games. There was that Toys 'R' Us B1G1 sale-slash-glitch thing, and I bought like 8 games. Picked up the system a little while later.

I also own Valkyria Chronicles ($20 from Walmart back when it seemed like it might become rare) and Eternal Sonata for PS3, even though I don't have a PS3 and don't know when/if I'll even get one.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Same here, with PSP games. There was that Toys 'R' Us B1G1 sale-slash-glitch thing, and I bought like 8 games. Picked up the system a little while later.

I also own Valkyria Chronicles ($20 from Walmart back when it seemed like it might become rare) and Eternal Sonata for PS3, even though I don't have a PS3 and don't know when/if I'll even get one.[/QUOTE]

If you only had to own one PS3 game and it's a JRPG, then VC is the way to go. Eternal Sonata you can really pass on, it's meh.

I was going to pick up VC before I had a PS3 when it was 20 bucks at Gamestop, but the only one near me that had a copy that wasn't sealed. So I passed. Ended up getting it a few months later at another Gamestop sealed about two weeks before I picked up my PS3. Along with Uncharted, R&C Future and Resistance FOM during a B2G1.

Oh yeah, Valkyria's another one for me. Got 3 copies from the Wal-Mart $20 clearance months before I bought my PS3. Traded one for a copy of Tales of the Abyss before the reprint, another went as part of a trade for Arc the Lad Collection, and I've kept the third. In all I've owned five or six copies of VC, but it is one of my favorite games of all time, after all :lol:

[quote name='jello44']If you only had to own one PS3 game and it's a JRPG, then VC is the way to go. Eternal Sonata you can really pass on, it's meh.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree VC is awesome (the only SRPG I've ever beaten, literally). But, and I know I'm in the minority, I really do like Eternal Sonata. Like the plot in Eternal Sonata is bad and it's ending is heavy handed... but well the world was just so beautiful and the combat system was so fun that I could forgive it's short comings in plot.

Actually I've loved both Baten Kaitos and Eternal Sonata which are both by tri-Crescendo. Baten Kaitos is the better game because it's plot, while fairly generic, is still far more enjoyable than Eternal Sonata's, but they are both awesome games.

I could never get into Baten Kaitos: Origins though, the battle system just didn't seem as fun to me as the first game, not really sure what it was, maybe that it just felt like it was a bit over simplified (basically the combat systems are totally different if you haven't played either game, they both use cards, and some mechanics are similar, but for the most part Origins totally changed how combat worked). Also, and this was what actually made me quit the game, it really magnified the need to use the cards to solve puzzles and archaic dialog puzzles to advance the story... I remember I made it this lake, and everyone in town was talking about evil stuff going on at the lake, so I went to the lake each day, and each day that wasn't what I was supposed to do, one day I had to run around town to find some kids to play hid and go seek with, another day I had to run around town again and talk to everyone I had already talked to until I triggered that day ending, got to the third day and it seemed like I was still not going to the lake and shut the game off with no plans to play it again.

[quote name='jello44']If you only had to own one PS3 game and it's a JRPG, then VC is the way to go. Eternal Sonata you can really pass on, it's meh.
[/QUOTE]

I agree that if I could only own one PS3 game, it would be Valkyria Chronicles, but Eternal Sonata is a fantastic game.

[quote name='icebeast'] But, and I know I'm in the minority, I really do like Eternal Sonata. Like the plot in Eternal Sonata is bad and it's ending is heavy handed... but well the world was just so beautiful and the combat system was so fun that I could forgive it's short comings in plot.
[/QUOTE]

You're not alone. Eternal Sonata had, for my money, the most enjoyable combat system of any RPG this gen. Yeah it's a bit cheesy at times, but it's still an utterly charming game. I love it.

[quote name='bvharris']You're not alone. Eternal Sonata had, for my money, the most enjoyable combat system of any RPG this gen. Yeah it's a bit cheesy at times, but it's still an utterly charming game. I love it.[/QUOTE]

It feeds it to you way to damn slow though.

[quote name='bvharris']
You're not alone. Eternal Sonata had, for my money, the most enjoyable combat system of any RPG this gen.[/QUOTE]

So I take it you didn't play Resonance of Fate then? Or Star Ocean 4? Or any of the Tales games? I really enjoyed Eternal Sonata, but the battle system was more simplistic than even your average Dragon Quest game (not to hate on DQ, btw -- it's my favorite series of turn-based RPGs) and only gave you the illusion of depth.

It's pretty satisfying seeing 5-digit numbers pop up above enemies' heads with each hit, but there's just no strategy to it at all. You mash X and you block. If you miss a block you heal. If you get attacked from behind you revive. But that's it. Skill choice and party positioning are completely irrelevant even with the PS3 version's increased difficulty. Buff/debuff items are present, I believe, but I don't recall ever using them.

I feel they should've made it either more action-oriented (Star Ocean/Tales) or more strategy-oriented (Resonance of Fate/Valkyrie Profile 2). In its current form it falls somewhere in between the two and just ends up feeling really shallow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a legit question, what is everybody's fascination with chie? It seems she gets an extraordinary amount of attention everywhere I go.

[quote name='distgfx']I have a legit question, what is everybody's fascination with chie?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and another thing, what's the deal with this "Final Fantasy XIII" game? If it's so "final," how can there be 13 of them?!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, and another thing, what's the deal with this "Final Fantasy XIII" game? If it's so "final," how can there be 13 of them?![/QUOTE]

That too, all of you have some explaining to do.

[quote name='Axersia']So I take it you didn't play Resonance of Fate then? Or Star Ocean 4? Or any of the Tales games? I really enjoyed Eternal Sonata, but the battle system was more simplistic than even your average Dragon Quest game (not to hate on DQ, btw -- it's my favorite series of turn-based RPGs) and only gave you the illusion of depth.

It's pretty satisfying seeing 5-digit numbers pop up above enemies' heads with each hit, but there's just no strategy to it at all. You mash X and you block. If you miss a block you heal. If you get attacked from behind you revive. But that's it. Skill choice and party positioning are completely irrelevant even with the PS3 version's increased difficulty. Buff/debuff items are present, I believe, but I don't recall ever using them.

I feel they should've made it either more action-oriented (Star Ocean/Tales) or more strategy-oriented (Resonance of Fate/Valkyrie Profile 2). In its current form it falls somewhere in between the two and just ends up feeling really shallow.[/QUOTE]

I played every single one of the games you mentioned, yes.

You're reading words that weren't written. I never said it was the most "complex" or the most "advanced" battle system this gen, I said it was the most "enjoyable". Which, to me, it was.

I really liked Eternal Sonata's battle system. Sure, it's easy, but does that mean it can't be fun? Easy in enjoyable to a lot of people.

The game also had a pretty awesome soundtrack. It's the last JRPG that I've played (FF13 doesn't count) and it will probably stay that way (FF13-2, possibly).

[quote name='bvharris']I played every single one of the games you mentioned, yes.

You're reading words that weren't written. I never said it was the most "complex" or the most "advanced" battle system this gen, I said it was the most "enjoyable". Which, to me, it was.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. Although I will say that I think the pacing for unlocking the battle system could have been just a bit faster, so that you had more time to play with the battle system in it's entirety, rather than mostly using it to finish the special dungeon and for harder new game+ play-throughs.

Still I enjoyed it a lot, and I really like how tri-Crescendo teaches you how to use each part of their battle systems before adding more elements to it (this was done in Baten Kaitos and Eternal Sonata), basically the game itself is a (mostly) well paced tutorial on how to master the battle system, which I think is much more enjoyable then something like the colosseum with a ton of tutorials that have to be completed right away to understand how the game works at all that Resonance of Fate had.

You guys are making me want to finish Eternal Sonata. I really liked what I played of it; it was just one of those things where I put it down for a while and never got back.

[quote name='distgfx']I have a legit question, what is everybody's fascination with chie? It seems she gets an extraordinary amount of attention everywhere I go.[/QUOTE]

It's more of a joke than a fascination.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, and another thing, what's the deal with this "Final Fantasy XIII" game? If it's so "final," how can there be 13 of them?![/QUOTE]

It's more of a joke than a game.

All of this Eternal Sonata talk makes me want to finally pop Fragile Dreams into the Wii since it's currently out of storage and plugged in for Xenoblade. Pretty sure they're the same developer. Has anyone here played it yet?

[quote name='Indignate']It's more of a joke than a fascination.[/QUOTE]

Agitating the people who make a genuine issue out of something as hilariously inconsequential as Persona 4 girl preference is too good to pass up.

[quote name='bvharris']I played every single one of the games you mentioned, yes.

You're reading words that weren't written. I never said it was the most "complex" or the most "advanced" battle system this gen, I said it was the most "enjoyable". Which, to me, it was.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did notice you used the word "enjoyable" rather than "complex/advanced", but the most enjoyable aspect of RPGs to me tends to be the battle system, and I just found it a bit surprising that someone would prefer Eternal Sonata over some of the more meaty alternatives out there that aren't entirely dissimilar. Sorry if I seemed a bit rude.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']You guys are making me want to finish Eternal Sonata. I really liked what I played of it; it was just one of those things where I put it down for a while and never got back.[/QUOTE]

It's actually really short for a home console RPG -- about 30 hours (same length as pretty much every Kingdom Hearts game for me). So if you still have a savefile sitting on your harddrive, you could probably finish it up really quick and it requires virtually no effort to get back into.

[quote name='icebeast']Still I enjoyed it a lot, and I really like how tri-Crescendo teaches you how to use each part of their battle systems before adding more elements to it (this was done in Baten Kaitos and Eternal Sonata), basically the game itself is a (mostly) well paced tutorial on how to master the battle system, which I think is much more enjoyable then something like the colosseum with a ton of tutorials that have to be completed right away to understand how the game works at all that Resonance of Fate had.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely loved the sink-or-swim approach of Resonance of Fate. When I got into my first random battle, I hadn't visited the Arena yet and just went "Uhhhh... now what?" So I tried using the X-button and that didn't get me very far at all. Luckily the manual is accessible from the pause menu wherever you go and it even shows you what all the buttons do right there on the pause menu, so I still managed to make it through the battle even though it wasn't pretty.

Sure, the game has a very steep learning curve you need to deal with, but once you're past that you still have the entire game ahead of you where you can use it to its full potential. In Eternal Sonata you're pretty much forced to replay the game if you want to spend any amount of time with the fully unlocked battle system. As someone who doesn't typically replay games, a 30-hour tutorial just doesn't work for me.

[quote name='Axersia']Sure, the game has a very steep learning curve you need to deal with, but once you're past that you still have the entire game ahead of you where you can use it to its full potential. In Eternal Sonata you're pretty much forced to replay the game if you want to spend any amount of time with the fully unlocked battle system. As someone who doesn't typically replay games, a 30-hour tutorial just doesn't work for me.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately even after learning the battle system I couldn't enjoy Resonance of Fate at all. The characters and the world seemed interesting, and I liked how the plot didn't seem focused on saving the world... but the world map and dungeons just killed all the enjoyment I had for that game.

Personally I don't replay games much either, but in this case to call the Eternal Sonata "just a tutorial" is a rather big disservice. Was everything about the battle system available from the start? Nope. But did that make the combat in the game awful until you reached the point where everything was unlocked? Not hardly. Personally I enjoyed the game from start to finish. Like I said I wish it had been paced a bit better to unlock the final parts of the battle system a bit sooner, but I felt like each addition added a new layer of enjoyment to something that was already fun.

--

Also, since I mentioned Baten Kaitos earlier I started to listen to some of the music from that game again... and it has me REALLY wanting to replay it, haha. I seriously love that game SO much, but finding other people to talk about it with is difficult because it seems like many people have only heard of it, but never played it. Here's some of my personal favorites from the OST:

[quote name='Indignate']It's more of a joke than a fascination.

It's more of a joke than a game.[/QUOTE]

Well now I'm just disappointed.

[quote name='fwbweux']All of this Eternal Sonata talk makes me want to finally pop Fragile Dreams into the Wii since it's currently out of storage and plugged in for Xenoblade. Pretty sure they're the same developer. Has anyone here played it yet?[/QUOTE]
It wasn't that great. It was pretty to look at, but that was about it. The character moved extremely slowly and the combat was about as exciting a swinging your sword in Zelda.

[quote name='icebeast']but the world map and dungeons just killed all the enjoyment I had for that game.[/QUOTE]
I'll agree that the dungeons sucked, but the world map was amazing.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It wasn't that great. It was pretty to look at, but that was about it. The character moved extremely slowly and the combat was about as exciting a swinging your sword in Zelda.[/QUOTE]

The charm and the atmospheric qualities and whatnot are enough to get me to play at some point, but it doesn't sound like I'll be taking any time off Xenoblade for this.

Speaking of Wii RPGs, I was waiting patiently for Earth Seeker to get cheap on Amiami, but it looks like it sold out instead :( Was looking forward to importing it eventually, even if it didn't get great reviews.

Part of me wants to pick up Disgaea 4...

Devil Survivor: Overclocked just isn't grabbing me. While I do enjoy the game's plot, it's not enough for me to put up with the gameplay.

[quote name='icebeast']
Also, since I mentioned Baten Kaitos earlier I started to listen to some of the music from that game again... and it has me REALLY wanting to replay it, haha. I seriously love that game SO much, but finding other people to talk about it with is difficult because it seems like many people have only heard of it, but never played it. Here's some of my personal favorites from the OST: [/QUOTE]

I own Baten Kaitos but I've only played it for about 22 hours or so. Not sure why I quit at the time as I did enjoy the game... Most likely because it was a GameCube game and I just never really used the thing. I bought it mainly for Tales of Symphonia and Twilight Princess back in 2005 (a month or so before TP got delayed and eventually ported to the Wii -- *sigh*), and to this day those are the only games on the system I've actually beaten.

In any case, I don't remember a whole lot about the game itself, but the soundtrack is one I return to occasionally. Definitely some of Motoi Sakuraba's best work. His more recent stuff has been getting a bit stale IMO. Can you really blame the guy though when he's been going at it since the 80s and has provided music for over 60 games? Even on the Genesis he made some rockin tracks:

Anyway, if I can ever bring myself to hook up my GameCube again, perhaps I'll come back to Baten Kaitos.

Just saw that we have a RPG thread, so I thought I would share that DQ X is going to be a MMO for the Wii and Wii U, and Square Enix is developing the game

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']
Devil Survivor: Overclocked just isn't grabbing me. While I do enjoy the game's plot, it's not enough for me to put up with the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

How far are you in it? It's the kind of game that takes a bit to get going. It really starts getting good once the demon fusing becomes more important.

[quote name='Bloodedge']Just saw that we have a RPG thread, so I thought I would share that DQ X is going to be a MMO for the Wii and Wii U, and Square Enix is developing the game[/QUOTE]
Saw the news this morning. Links for more details:

- General info dump. The subtitle is "Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku". This is the first DQ game developed internally at Square Enix. The Horii/Sugiyama/Toriyama team is on board as always. Wii and Wii U versions will be cross-platform compatible. There will be some 3DS connectivity.
- Official site opens. It lists the game as single player (maybe that means one player per Wii/Wii U?).
- DQX might have a subscription fee. Also, one lone screenshot. It is definitely an MMO.
- On a related note, Slime Mori Mori 3 (Rocket Slime 2) comes out on Nov. 2nd in Japan.

[quote name='Cheska19']fuck Dragon Quest X. If I wanted an MMO I'd play WoW :/[/QUOTE]

Ay, you should visit a certain thread where people talk about games in general.

Ya, I'm probably not too interested in DQX although it might depend on how it actually functions as an MMO, if it is basically just a standard MMO then I'm not interested at all, but if it is something closer to the multi-player of DQIX but with hubs to meet people and form groups (something closer to Monster Hunter Tri's online say) then I might be somewhat interested.

Although, thinking back to how Monster Hunter worked online on the Wii (not great if you have to ask), I'm fairly sure even if they make it interesting the online is going to be a mess. Basically forget voice chat because it probably isn't going to be in (or it will with Wii Speak which from what I heard from people who tried to use it for MH didn't work well at all), which means you get to sit with a keyboard on your lap in addition to whatever controllers you have (for MH that meant the Wii-mote with a Classic Controller Pro hooked to it) and wait for a good time between action to actually send messages. Of course you can also use Skype with a mic hooked up to a computer (what me and my friend used to communicate for MH) but that means more wires (and depends on whether you have a computer you can get close enough to your Wii), and you still need a keyboard to talk to the people you're playing with who aren't on Skype with you.

Dragon Quest X is an MMO? That's gotta be a joke right? Right?

That's probably the biggest nail in the JRPG coffin. I always thought that the Dragon Quest series would continue unchanging until the end of the world.

Yeah, I wonder what the logic is here. Has there been an even moderately successful console MMO since Final Fantasy XI? I guess Square is still chasing that brass ring.

ETA: Okay, after a little more reading, it sounds like the whole game is playable offline, it just has some online multiplayer components besides. Doesn't sound so different from DQ9 in that case.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, I wonder what the logic is here. Has there been an even moderately successful console MMO since Final Fantasy XI? I guess Square is still chasing that brass ring.[/QUOTE]

There was Final Fantasy XIV on PS3...

Oh wait that never came out because the game is so bad on PC that they weren't (and still aren't I don't think) charging people a monthly fee until they fix everything, if that ever happens.

Yep, outlook for a Dragon Quest MMO looks good, I think Square-Enix knows what they're doing... :lol:

I'm now convinced that Square is run by people who are actively trying to destroy the company. Even if DQX is successful in Japan, they've killed off one of the last traditional single-player turn-based RPGs. If Type-0 doesn't make it over in some form, Square goes on my "only buy used" list along with Nintendo, Sega, and Capcom.

I still want to see Level 5 work on another Dragon Quest game. I would love to see DQXI use DQIX's gameplay on 3DS

Just when I thought Squenix couldn't suck any more. So when is the next shitty Tri-Ace RPG and pointless fanboy fapping Kingdon Hearts game coming out?

Soooo guys, which is worse? Linear corridor Final Fantasy or paid-subscription MMO Dragon Quest on an outdated console with shitty online?

[quote name='fwbweux']Soooo guys, which is worse? Linear corridor Final Fantasy or paid-subscription MMO Dragon Quest on an outdated console with shitty online?[/QUOTE]

You might as well ask me which STD I would rather have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back