We Missed You at Christmas, but We’ll See You Next Year (2007 Delays)

DesertEagleXIX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://tech-gaming.com/2007/12/21/we-missed-you-at-christmas-but-well-see-you-next-year.aspx

(Sung to the holiday classic, sans 'figgy pudding')

The closing months of 2007 showed us quite a finale with the releases of Super Mario Galaxy, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Bioshock, Halo 3, and the Orange Box. However, publishers pulled a few punches, delaying a few triple-A titles until the first quarter of 2008. We’ll examine a few of these titles, and speculate on the reasons for delay:

Grand Turismo 5 Prologue(PS3) - Strangely, this game is prominently featured in Sony’s current television ad campaign. Currently enjoyed by European and Japanese gamers, GT5 Prologue was delayed in the U.S. until February 19th. With recent critically acclaimed titles like Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank selling less than 200K units, perhaps Sony is waiting for a surge in $399 40Gb PS3 sales, before releasing the game. In the past, the GT series has been quite a system seller, we remember gearheads buying Gran Turismo 3 along with a PS2. Time will tell if Sony’s delay proves fruitful.

Home(PS3) - Sony’s oft-delayed project was at one time, due for an October release. This enigmatic, ambitious software allows users to create an avatar, roam virtual worlds, and ultimately, have Sony’s network compete with the functionality of Xbox Live. Now due for a Spring 2008 release, to presumably coincide with Little Big Planet, Sony did mention a fall open beta for the US. We expect one of two things to happen with Home: One, decreased functionality to meet the Spring deadline, or two, further delays.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)- At E for All, we played a fully playable, complete version of SSBB. When we heard the title was being pushed back until February 10th, we assumed Nintendo was maximizing the size of Super Mario Galaxy’s spotlight. Little did we know that Nintendo was adding online capability to take snapshots of gameplay, and stage building options. This is one title we’ve happy to see delayed.

Wii Fit(Wii) – Released in Japan to brisk sales, Wii Fit is a game designed to work with a balance board. Players are weighed in, body mass indexes are calculated, and 40 calorie-burning exercises are performed, along with daily goal monitoring. What’s puzzling is Nintendo’s reluctance to release the title in the U.S. at the end of December- the traditional time of year when gym memberships are purchased and quickly forgot. Apparently, the title has a large amount of localization issues; the game’s ‘coach’ speaks in high-pitched Japanese. Perhaps Nintendo will get squeaky voiced exercise guru Richard Simmons to record the English voices.

GTA 4(360 and PS3) – In August, it was announced that Rockstar’s proverbial golden goose was going to be delayed until early 2008. Most journalists were more than happy with the news; early betas were impressive in scope and vision, but lacking in execution. Recent showings of GTA 4 still had problems; framerates were chuggy, loadtimes were present, but the game had improved noticeably in hand-to-hand combat and weapon aiming. Bioshock brought an influx of cash to the starved Take 2, thereby buying GTA 4 a few more months of time. Success if nearly guaranteed upon release, regardless of sales figures.

Also missed this year in the U.S.:

- Sony's Dual Shock 3 in the U.S., unless you want to pay $80 for an import.
- Hot Shots Golf 5

Anything else that was notably missed this year in the US?

*laughs at "Home"*

Funny how NOBODY talks about that anymore. Ah, the passing fads and spouting bullshit of the Sony hype machine.

Will gamers ever learn?

I cant wait till GTA 4 and Home they are gonna be awesome. I also heard something about there being a Saints Row 2 thats gonna be good too!

But nothing can beat GTA 4 \\:D/

GTA 4 looks like more of the same shit.
Sorry Rockstar that shits not gonna cut it anymore.

Devil May Cry 4, Mercenaries 2, Burnout Paradise?

[quote name='PyroGamer']*laughs at "Home"*

Funny how NOBODY talks about that anymore. Ah, the passing fads and spouting bullshit of the Sony hype machine.

Will gamers ever learn?[/quote]

Oh shut up. 360 fans cream their pants when the 360 gets a minor update, imagine what would happen if we got an update on the same grandeur as Home?

I want GTA 4, but I know the update helped it, and God knows I have too much to play right now anyway.

MGS4 and DMC4.

I'm hoping all these games will be more spread out next year. I hated how most of this year was pretty dull, then we were hit with hit after hit from about Sept onwards.

i don't know about you guys but i was pissed when they delayed God Of War: Chains of Olympus for the PSP to Feb 08
... so now its collecting dust once again

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX'] Apparently, the title has a large amount of localization issues; the game’s ‘coach’ speaks in high-pitched Japanese. Perhaps Nintendo will get squeaky voiced exercise guru Richard Simmons to record the English voices.[/quote]

I'd rather have the game never release in America than than have that happen.

[quote name='trunks982']im waiting for mario kart wii.[/quote]
As far as I know Mario Kart Wii never had a 2007 release date.

[quote name='dpatel']MGS4 and DMC4.

I'm hoping all these games will be more spread out next year. I hated how most of this year was pretty dull, then we were hit with hit after hit from about Sept onwards.[/quote]

Not to split dick hairs here, but I would say July or August started the money train out of my wallet and for others as well. September-now has just been as bad and unrelenting.

I am happy that MGS4 got delayed. It probably would have been boughten and then sat in the backlog while I kill people on CoD 4. I seriously want to stop playing it, but I can't. I hate that game. It is like crack. bad for my body and teeth, but so much fun to do.

Will gamers ever learn?[/QUOTE]Funny, nobody talks about Halo 3 or Bioshock either.

Will gamers ever learn?[/quote]

Way to try and start a flame war when it wasn't warranted.

Anyway.. outside of GTA4, i'm to be honest only looking forward to Mercenaries 2. Was kind of bummed to hear it got delayed out 2007 but i'm for a better game.

[quote name='Kendal']I am happy that MGS4 got delayed. It probably would have been boughten and then sat in the backlog while I kill people on CoD 4. I seriously want to stop playing it, but I can't. I hate that game. It is like crack. bad for my body and teeth, but so much fun to do.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad games were delayed too. If all these games had made their 2007 release, it would've been insane. I just wish MGS4 had not been. I could do without every single 2007 release if I had MGS4. Ah well, It'll be awesome when it finally comes.

[quote name='apkp']Way to try and start a flame war when it wasn't warranted.

Anyway.. outside of GTA4, i'm to be honest only looking forward to Mercenaries 2. Was kind of bummed to hear it got delayed out 2007 but i'm for a better game.[/QUOTE]
just what I was looking forward to. I was dead set on having Katamari, Eternal Sonata, Virtua Fighter 5 and Mercs 2 to play over break

[quote name='TimPV3']Funny, nobody talks about Halo 3 or Bioshock either.[/quote]

They do and they were released on time. Well at least the year they were supposed to be released.

[quote name='TimPV3']Funny, nobody talks about Halo 3 or Bioshock either.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, both those games shipped on time. Halo 3 didn't even have a release date until E3.

bread's done
Back