Welcome to the YMIJ Forum...Feedback welcome here!

[quote name='CheapyD']The only fast food places I haven't seen are Burger King and White Castle (which I do actually miss).[/QUOTE]
i've been living in vancouver for school for the past 9 or so months now. i remember when you were about to move i mentioned to stock up/enjoy what you could from the states because a lot of products you take for granted are no where to be found in foreign countries. so i guess my question is now that you've been there for like 5 months, what do you miss from home?

for me it's things like taco bell, peter pan honey roasted peanut butter, land o lakes butter, tostino's pizzas, ben & jerry's vanilla heath bar crunch, etc. it can be more than food, like favorite stores, channels, whatever. it's funny how you never expect your favorite things to not be there, or when they're gone how much you'll miss them.

Cheapy, can you tell us how life in Japan is? And is it expensive living there?

I plan to move to Japan like in 10 to 15 years. I want to work in Japan as a video game developer.

[quote name='Escobar4Life']Cheapy, can you tell us how life in Japan is? And is it expensive living there?

I plan to move to Japan like in 10 to 15 years. I want to work in Japan as a video game developer.[/quote]

I can answer those questions.

Good, somewhat (depends where you're living).

Also, you share your naive dream of being a video game developer with many a tween gamer in the US :lol:

Heh, I'm just playin' around. I also plan to be a game developer, though I doubt I will make it to Japan unless I start learning Japanese soon :roll:

[quote name='Chrono72090']I can answer those questions.

Good, somewhat (depends where you're living).

Also, you share your naive dream of being a video game developer with many a tween gamer in the US :lol:

Heh, I'm just playin' around. I also plan to be a game developer, though I doubt I will make it to Japan unless I start learning Japanese soon :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know many gamers want to become game developers. But I think I have what it takes to be one. I also think I'll make it to Japan. I want to learn Japanese. But not sure when I'll start. I'm thinking of improving my English and Spanish before learning Japanese. I'm fluent in them but I have a few speaking problems (accent and other stuff). Or do you think I should just learn Japanese instead of improving my other languages (which I can do later on)? Being trilingual would be awesome.

One more question. Is it true that girls are considered women (adults) at the age of 15? That's what I heard on some forums. That would explain the DOA girls and why their age was removed from the non-Japanese versions.

Hey cheapy, what are the internet access speeds over there? I heard like 20Mpbs for $20 a month? Is that true?

You chased a chick all the way to Japan? Not that's whipped!

Just kidding....By the way, great podcast by you and Wombat.

Uh kind of off topic here but is anyone else besides Cheapy allowed to make a thread? Don't know why anyone would just curious

Your show is great! I have a brother-in-law who lives in Japan and has a wife who is Japanese. He met her over in Japan. I've been listening to your pocast for sometime and wanted to finally leave a post... especially after this last podcast. Thanks for the good work you and Wombat do!

GroovyBrian :cool:

N

I was going to ask where you used to live but I'm guessing manhatten...by the way...I read a survey that Japanese people know more English than Americans do but you're saying that they hardly understand English..

Yes, Manhattan is where I used to live.
Japanese people know more English than Americans know Japanese. That's about it.

Hey Cheapy,
Got some more crazy stuff for us to see? Please post it when you can :)
Domo arigatou :p
Boozi

Edit: My bad, just noticed you updated this forum about a week ago ^^
Anyways, keep up the good work :p

Hey Cheapy, just wanted to mention I'll be visiting Japan around the begining of March, Mainly for the Sakura season (it'll be my 3rd visit.) The wife is also Japanese and we try to go every year to visit her relatives and friends.

We stay in Shinju-ku with her parents. What part of Tokyo are you staying in? That's asuming you are in Tokyo.

That's cool...I live on the east side of Tokyo...It's a 26 minute subway ride to Shinjuku. I go there 2x a week for japanese classes.

Anyone know what is going on here? Cheapy???

chinawa9.jpg

I was over in japan a few times with the Marines in the late 90's... and I loved it there... it was a single man's paradise.... too bad the train rides took forever from Fuji.

Cheapy, Have you been to Roppongi yet? If so, is Gas Panic still around?

I would love to move to Japan (I love the culture and history), but I think I would have a hard time, considering I know vary LITTLE japanese. BTW, if you run across anything called Poccari Sweat (its an energy drink) try it... you will quickly find out why they call it sweat.

One thing I miss was my favorite brand of smokes... I can't find Golden Bats over here.

Cheapy...

I was wondering if there is anything like the ESRB game ratings in Japan. Do they in any way mark the games as being for a mature audience, or as being appropriate for the entire family, or teens, etc?

If they don’t have anything like that over there, I guess they figure that the people in Japan are a bit more "capable" of separating games from reality, or just the ability of actually point the finger of blame where it really belongs. What do you think?

I, much like most of the gaming populace, believe that it’s the parents that need to police the exposure of content to children, versus it being a public ordeal... Unfortunately, I think the responsibility will eventually fall to the console manufacturers to block the contact from children as a lot of parents are obviously inept to do so. I think the simplest solution would be to have the console only allow up to teen rated games played on the console until the mature content is unlocked, informing the "unlocker" what content might be encountered in the game after it has been unlocked.

The only other thing I can think of is having the game packaging covered with a black removable cover, showing the name of the game, and what content is in the game... this way it looks like a playboy or penthouse when it comes through the mail.

Unfortunately, because many American citizens would rather bitch and point a finger at someone else, rather than learn and look at themselves, it looks like the only solution is to cripple the masses in order to appease the bull-headed and unable.

What do you think?

Hello,

Was wondering how you like living over there.. My wife is from Japan so I get to go over there quite a bit. There is nothing like hitting Yodobashi Akiba (love that Okonomiyaki place in the food area) for a few hours..

What are some of your favorite game stores over in the Japan.. Have you fond some good underground places other than the cool ones in the Akiba area?

Suggestion.. If you have not yet tried it.. I highly suggest Maisen restaurant in Omotesando.. Right off the Ginza line. Great Tonkatsu.. typing this is making my mouth water now.. http://www.bento.com/rev/0490.html - I love going there and then heading for a crepe in Harajuku or down to shibuya for some beard pappa..

Well keep up the great work on the podcast. It is great to hear a bit about your life in Japan in each episode.

PS.. Thanks for adding me to your PS3 friends list. Maybe soon there will be a decent online title to play..

I'd like to see video tours of Japanese game shops, like Super Potato (maybe a running series of them?) Or hell, even toy stores. I think it'd be neat to see aisles and aisles filled with Japanese entertainment products.

Cheapy how bout you make a Engrish thread? While you out and about on your adventures. Post pics of random engrish stuff. You made a couple of threads when you first moves over. But how about an official engrish thread?

Sugoi, nihongo no kurasu wa ima made dou desu ka? Kaiwa renshuu shitara ii to omou no de, ganbatte kudasai. :)

Omedetou on the move out there, and keep it real for the rest of CAG'ers that will never get the chance to go to Japan! We'll just have to live our lives vicariously through you ;)

I posted this in the CAGCast forum, but I suppose this would be a better place to get a reply...

Hello Cheapyd. This is a "YMIJ" question. I am currently finishing up a bachelor's degree, and would like to move to Tokyo to teach english to the natives over there. The salary seems to be about 250,000 yen per month, but I'm just wondering if that's going to be enough to live on. Will I have to be a "CheapyZ" when I'm there, or can I live comfortably with one mouth to feed?

Thanks!

-Zack

[quote name='orko60']I posted this in the CAGCast forum, but I suppose this would be a better place to get a reply...

Hello Cheapyd. This is a "YMIJ" question. I am currently finishing up a bachelor's degree, and would like to move to Tokyo to teach english to the natives over there. The salary seems to be about 250,000 yen per month, but I'm just wondering if that's going to be enough to live on. Will I have to be a "CheapyZ" when I'm there, or can I live comfortably with one mouth to feed?

Thanks!

-Zack[/quote]
$2,000 a month in one of the most expensive cities in the world is not going to go very far. Your entire apartment will likely be one 10x10 room.

[quote name='CheapyD']$2,000 a month in one of the most expensive cities in the world is not going to go very far. Your entire apartment will likely be one 10x10 room.[/quote]

Yikes. I wonder if I could do a bunch of freelance one-on-one teaching to make extra cash. Is that kind of thing popular? I suppose I could find a roommate to move there with me, as well.

Totally unrelated to the topic, but please address the problems with the VideoGameCentral.com affiliation. The community as a whole is getting pretty pissed about it. The store owner has intentionally tried to deceive CAG members with pricing, and he's currently hiding all the pirated / bootleg games he sold. It's not a business CAG should be involved with...

Cheapy I think it might be cool for you to do a youtube video of how you make the cagcast, like your computer setup and the editing and such.

Cheapy, you should make some more YMIJ topics...there hasn't been a new one in awhile. They are definitely one of my favorite parts of this site, and I'm sure many others feel the same way. :)

cheapyz since that school closed on you. Have you stop taking Japanese for the time being? or have you found another school or way to learn nihongo?

PLZ keep teh videoz coming they is funnyz.:D

For anyone who's played those "medal games" at the arcades in japan, what do I do with all the medals I've won? I didn't see a prize counter or anything where i can exchange them.

Hey CheapyD, are you going to buy Super Smash Brother Brawl the Japanese Version and if you do will we get a little review about the game and online mode if it laggy or not

Cheapy, I went to Taiwan a few years back and I really liked Moss Burger. The food was pretty different from what you would expect at typical US fast food joint. I know they're based in Japan. Would you please do a YMIJ video trip to Moss Burger? I think people will get a kick out of how different the food is.

[quote name='Lorenzo']Cheapy, I went to Taiwan a few years back and I really liked Moss Burger. The food was pretty different from what you would expect at typical US fast food joint. I know they're based in Japan. Would you please do a YMIJ video trip to Moss Burger? I think people will get a kick out of how different the food is.[/QUOTE]
Mos Burger, actually. One of the better fast food joins in Japan, definitely.

[quote name='Maklershed']:shock: You eat all that for lunch? And on a daily basis? And is it common that consumer products in Japan have both English and Japanese text?[/QUOTE]
Usually when a product tries to sell itself as something "Western," you'll get some English (or Engrish) text somewhere on the packaging. Such products are in the minority, however - maybe 25% or less, and the English is rarely useful.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Usually when a product tries to sell itself as something "Western," you'll get some English (or Engrish) text somewhere on the packaging. Such products are in the minority, however - maybe 25% or less, and the English is rarely useful.[/quote]
You mean this isn't useful?

bread's done
Back