Well,...... Lumines is eating my soul.

drone8888

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This game is so addictive.
There is something about it, that sucks me in.
I think there are subliminal messages hidden within the triphop.
Seriously, I have done nothing but play this game over the last few days, and I still wany more.

Even with most of the new releases I own,.. I still only want to play Lumines.

Are any, or all of you enjoying this simplistic game as much as me?????

Also,... when do you think we'll be able to play games, via the internet, with the USB connection???
I'd love to play this versus someone else.
:)

I was thinking about whether or not I should get this as my first game on my PSP (when I get it). Is it really that addictive? Is there enough variety?

It is really addicting, although it shares time in my PSP with Ridge Racer.

So far, I got the first 10 or so skins from challenge mode. I hate any skin that turns the blocks into circles. It just messes with me for some reason.

Played it for the first time today and, yes, it's outstanding. If I didn't think that the PSP would become cheaper within a reasonable period of time, I'd have run out and picked it up today just for Lumines.

That games is crazy. The Puzzle mode is driving me insane though so I tend to stick to the normal game to unlock skins. I'm not too good but I got up to level 23 today. yea for me

the game dont have much depth to it,

lots of playing it is intuition and luck,

(or at least to me it is, coz I havent figure out that much an effective way to play this game)

but regardless the game feels like totally art.

it's like u dont even play it, u experience it

and yeay, really addicting too. I impulsively bought PSP yesterday and realized I needed some game so I bought this one. very good indeed!

Its shaq-fuing amazing how the game sucks you in. This is gonna sound cheesy but its like becoming one with the game.

[quote name='JEKKI']the game dont have much depth to it,

lots of playing it is intuition and luck,

(or at least to me it is, coz I havent figure out that much an effective way to play this game)

but regardless the game feels like totally art.

it's like u dont even play it, u experience it

and yeay, really addicting too. I impulsively bought PSP yesterday and realized I needed some game so I bought this one. very good indeed![/QUOTE]

You must suck if you think the game has no depth.

You need to get this game NOW!!!!
If you like puzzle games,... this is the end-all right now.
Meteos on the DS looks amazing too,...... but I have only played this so far.

In 20 years of gaming,.... aaaaaaahhhhhhh,........ it's been said a million times,.... trust us,. the game is superb, and near flawless.

ALSO,......................... Read 1-UP.com's Che's review on the game, in the latest EGM.
He sums it up almost poetically.
This has the potential to squash Tetris,... IMHO anyways.

i haven't been to a gamestore since the psp came out, how exactly do you pronounce "Lumines"? Loo-min-es? Loo-mines?

I wasn't all that interested in getting a psp until my 8 year old cousin came over to visit... WITH HIS PSP. 8 freaking years old! its sooo nice, i did notice a couple of bad pixels but they're not that noticeable unless you look for them. he just had it casually strapped to his wrist like it was nothing and he stood there watching me play halo2 with my other cousins until one of them said "hey he has a psp!"

I Just Did Over Lvl 27 47,582 Points In Challenge mode. Try To Top That! Now, I have a total of 12 skins. How many skins are there?

great game, can't stop playing... so easy to get into (got everyone at easter hooked) and yet there is always room to get better - still can't beat cpu vs lvl 3, hard to see and if i slow down to be careful floating head guy kills me.

[quote name='peteyrose']You must suck if you think the game has no depth.[/QUOTE]
prolly... but if u only knew the days, months, years I spend playing Tetris Attack, every puzzler becomes shallow.

but yeay I do suck, Im only getting 14 combos rite now, gotta shoot for 20 by the end of the week

but of course as I get better I find more of the depth, mostly to play the game properly u need:

patience

and

speed

patience comes into play when actually pacing how u place blocks on the field, waiting for the line to pass

speed is for once the line passes u, build as much combo as u can before it comes back

playing patiently is great for challenge, but for VS I think u needa be real fast otherwise the opponent will be all over. time attack u would definately need both

then to seperate a real skilled player it has a lot to do with useless block placement. putting all blocks of one color together lets u kill them all with the special block, leaving a large amount of the other color to get you a big combo

so yeah... it gets deeper as u get better. I only wish this game was online tho... Id hafta find me a way to hook it up so I could kick your ass at this

EDIT: oh yeah, u guys gotta play this game w/ headphones. it's tite

One thing that annoys me is the fact that you always have to start at level 1 when you play challenge mode. I spent 40 minutes to get to level 52, and then I gotta start again. I wonder what the fastest time to level 99 is.

Edit: I have 14 skins (I think). There's a faq that shows how many skins there are and how you get them over at Gamefaqs. I think I'll be spending a lot of time trying to unlock them.

[quote name='yops2k']One thing that annoys me is the fact that you always have to start at level 1 when you play challenge mode. I spent 40 minutes to get to level 52, and then I gotta start again. I wonder what the fastest time to level 99 is.

Edit: I have 14 skins (I think). There's a faq that shows how many skins there are and how you get them over at Gamefaqs. I think I'll be spending a lot of time trying to unlock them.[/QUOTe]

yeah it annoys me too! I believe there's over 40+ skins. dang, you got to level 52. The highest level I got so far is level 27 under 18 min. I heard the last skin to achieve is level 120. Since it took you 40 min to lvl 52, it will take you 90+ min to reach lvl 120.

is there anyway to pause during gameplay? I know you can still continue play if you turn off the power switch, but not sure if you can during gameplay. I fawk up one of my highest level because I need to scratch one of the arm

Yeah,... putting the PSP in sleep mode will allow you to continue your game at the exact point you hit the power up.

Just pause the game, then push the power up briefly.

and Jekki,............ Tetris Attack ain't got sheot on this!!!
I think it's fair to say we all suck at this game,... except maybe for the early importers. Getting the skins is cool,... but the scores are mediocre compared to the veterans'.

Have fun,.. and don't forget about you job.

Level 81 last night with over 201,000 points! Something like 48 minutes. In order to "beat" challenge mode you need 999,999 points.
The blocks never move so fast that it's stressful like Tetris. It's just a relaxing game and when you put it down after and hour of nonstop playing your depth perception is shot. It's like that game in Star Trek TNG that ran the crew until Ashley Judd and the other guy saved the day.

[quote name='cleaver']Level 81 last night with over 201,000 points! Something like 48 minutes. In order to "beat" challenge mode you need 999,999 points.
The blocks never move so fast that it's stressful like Tetris. It's just a relaxing game and when you put it down after and hour of nonstop playing your depth perception is shot. It's like that game in Star Trek TNG that ran the crew until Ashley Judd and the other guy saved the day.[/QUOTE]

I think the depth perception thing is with the psp in general. I feel like it's due to the fact that the screen is big and very bright. I didn't have the same problem with gba sp or ds. am I the only one?

also, none of you tried the puzzle mode eh? that is pretty fun, until much much later heh.

the highest I've been I think is level 87 or something like that. haven't played it for a long time though, lost interest in it.

[quote name='tragicslip']great game, can't stop playing... so easy to get into (got everyone at easter hooked) and yet there is always room to get better - still can't beat cpu vs lvl 3, hard to see and if i slow down to be careful floating head guy kills me.[/QUOTE]

That level always gets me too! I beat him once or twice, but the colors on that level $$$$ me up every time.

There should be a warning on the box saying "WARNING - NOT SUITABLE FOR PEOPLE WITH A LIFE" The game is just soo addicting and fun. Only bad thing about it for me so far is that it's not that fun when not listening to the music.

Yeah,... without the music, the game becomes just the standard industry shaker.
A solid game,... but lacking the immersion, and hynotic feelings.

With the music,... this could be the puzzle game of the year.
We'll have to see how Q's other DS game plays.

[quote name='Milkyman']i haven't been to a gamestore since the psp came out, how exactly do you pronounce "Lumines"? Loo-min-es? Loo-mines? [/QUOTE]

According to Gamespot's video review it's Loo-mi-nes.

[quote name='drone8888']and Jekki,............ Tetris Attack ain't got sheot on this!!![/QUOTE]
nah~~

for starters, TA has like 8 or 9 years on Lumines,

not to mention tetrisattack.net.

I really hope to see some lumines videos online soon.

best way to learn to play like a pro, watch how pro play!

[quote name='drone8888']Yeah,... without the music, the game becomes just the standard industry shaker.
A solid game,... but lacking the immersion, and hynotic feelings.

With the music,... this could be the puzzle game of the year.
We'll have to see how Q's other DS game plays.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I was playing it without music yesterday and really enjoyed it still. I was also able to concentrate better and actually make good use of those checkered boxes

It's playable,... but for me,.. it looses everything without the music.
I get into the music, and merge with the game.
I've never tripped,... but I assume it's like that.
I also only play it in the dark. In the light,... the later levels annoy me, because I can't focus.
My peripheral vision goes wild, and I lose very quickly.

Although it is probably destroying my sight,.... I do much better, and really appreciate the game more in the dark.

Every one of my friends who have tried it out, so far, has either went out and bougth a PSP, or picked up the game.
They would play for roughly an hour, and then I'd peel the PSP from their tight sweaty palms.

It's uphoric, and captivating.
I love it more than any of my new games.
BTW........ finished up God of War, and I must say,... it's a tight game. The sequel is going to rock hard!!

Lumines 4 Life

OH,...... and at your BLOG, Jekki,............ Sasha Singleton.............. *DROOL*
Nice choice!!!
She is a goddess.
She was on Sweat, on G4, if you didn't catch that episode. It's been on a fes times this week.

game is definetely outstanding and I'm glad I bought it in the first place(they WP), as far I guess my favorite PSP game and overall.
I wonder how long will I have to wait for soundtrack.....

The soundtrack will be great!
I hope they have some different mixes, and offer it in SACD.

I can't get over 80,000 points though.
I need to play this MUCH more.

I just go for speed myself.
Clearing as much as possible, as fast as possible.

Otherwise,.. I'd suggest playing in the dark,.. as the later levels start tossing brighter lights at you. You'll need all the focus you can muster, to avoid the distractions.

[quote name='lurknomore']Are there any tips or hints that you Lumines experts would like to share with us. I just can't seem to get over that 50,000 hump.[/QUOTE]

For every type of block I look for a certain type of place. The blocks that are 3/1 I look for a nub to create a square, the x-blocks I look for a 2 nub dropoff to line it next to in order to create a landing place for the the solid blocks or equal sign blocks. And use discretion when racing the timeline to a spot because you lose most of the time.

Training your eye/hand is the only way to improve.

Once you are deeply mesmorized by the game,... you'll be able to memorize the field of play, and also how many pushes of the turn button for the desired configuration of the block.
When racing the timeline, you won't have to watch your square, and you can drop it acurately without much thought.

It's similar to playing the guitar, or even driving your car.

The more you become familiar with the levels, the better you'll get.
Most importantly, have fun, and take frequent breaks, as this badboy will probably damage your eyes.

My eyes really started hurting around level 75ish (can't remember switches).
My hands got cramps around level 85.
It was a rough night...

I have this game, but I can't seem to really figure out whats so 'great' about it. I am just making squares, right? I must be doing something wrong.

Maybe it's the timeline element that adds mroe urgency to the game play? I havent played it yet but the videos i've seen suggests it's your biggest foe simply because it can destroy a huge combo seconds before you get to set it up.

bread's done
Back