What are you currently reading? Post here!

I really liked the First Law trilogy too. Actually, I need to finish the thrid book.
The ending of the second book was pretty anti-climatic, so I don't feel much of a rush to get to the third.

Finished Neverwinter and on to book 3 in the trilogy.

51pTm3N%2BnBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Prince of Thorns.

519OciYnPCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Not bad, even if the main character is totally irredeemable, unlikable, and basically a complete monster. (Also a total Mary Sue. utterly flawless perfect character so far). Ultra-violent, if that's your thing. And all done with a calm indifference.

I also like the hints dropped that
they're living in a future, bombed back to the medieval age instead of your typical fantasy.

Starting Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Also starting Among Others by Jo Walton. She won the Nebula Award this year for the book. I'm really enjoying it so far.

[quote name='Maklershed']Finished Before They Are Hanged and on to Last Argument of Kings ...[/QUOTE]
What do you think so far? I enjoyed the books for the the inquisitor character (Glotka, I believe), who was an original. I'll save overall thoughts for when you're done, just to prevent my getting spoilery.

I've taken a recent interest in the Discworld books. I've read three general recommendations as to how to dig in: 1) start chronologically (at #1), 2) start with one called Guards Guards, 3) start with one called Pyramids. Anyone care to support those starting points or propose his/her own?

[quote name='dothog']What do you think so far? I enjoyed the books for the the inquisitor character (Glotka, I believe), who was an original. I'll save overall thoughts for when you're done, just to prevent my getting spoilery.

I've taken a recent interest in the Discworld books. I've read three general recommendations as to how to dig in: 1) start chronologically (at #1), 2) start with one called Guards Guards, 3) start with one called Pyramids. Anyone care to support those starting points or propose his/her own?[/QUOTE]

Guards, Guards is a pretty good starting point. You could also start chronologically. The first few books focus mostly on Rincewind and the other wizards and witches. Some of the earlier books are pretty short (250 pages or so) but are still good.

Pyramids is a "solo" book but references some characters and locations from earlier books, not a bad book if I remeber correclty.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll start in with Guards Guards (#8) and move forward, I figure it's the most common recommendation for a reason.

[quote name='dothog']What do you think so far? I enjoyed the books for the the inquisitor character (Glotka, I believe), who was an original. I'll save overall thoughts for when you're done, just to prevent my getting spoilery.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic. I love it. I actually like it more than A Song of Ice and Fire. It seems to be more action based than filled with political intrigue. And the characters are great. And its paced really well. Whenever I get to the next chapter I'm thinking "Oh good I wonder what this person/people are up to". And yes, Glokta is awesome. I love the torture scenes (and for those of you reading this - no, its not graphic and I'm not a violence loving weirdo .. its great because
Glokta is getting revenge on the world and you want him to
). :lol:

[quote name='dothog']Thanks for the tips. I think I'll start in with Guards Guards (#8) and move forward, I figure it's the most common recommendation for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you move forward you'll have to go back. Book #9 is Faust/Eric which is a Rincewind novel and has connections to the earlier Rincewind novels.

You could read the next book in the city watch series, which is Men at Arms after that if you want.

I think I only got about 50 pages into "The Killing Moon" before I gave up.

51pgsre7DoL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Had an interesting premise but, it was due back to the library and it kinds tossed you right into the deep end of a pretty detailed world.
Book was written by a Sista, too. Shame.

Ubik and valis by Dick are the only two "excellent" books by Dick. The other stuff is average. I perfer his short stories, personally.

The only things I've ever read by Dick are Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Humpty Dumpty in Oakland, and both were amazing in my eyes. Then again, I am critic and lover of speculative/imaginative fiction.

Anyway, about halfway done with Among Others by Jo Walton. Easily the best book I've read in a long time, and I'm not even finished.

Starting Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks shortly.

Previously I've only read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which I thought was pretty good. I'm enjoying The Man in the High Castle so far. Interesting premise.

I only just joined the kindle bandwagon, and I found myself reading books like I used to when i was in highschool. (which is a lot).
I am reading the sequel to Wicked, and also a bunch of free classics just for the sake of reading.
I noticed my vocab has increased immensely thanks to the reading.

Finished This Book Is Full Of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong last night. Much much darker and more cynical than John Dies At The End, but still quite good. Started The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z Danielewski on the bus to work this morning, and promptly finished it on the bus back tonight. Novellas are short.

Now I figure I'll pick up A Clash Of Kings and continue trying to work through that series. I've seen bits and pieces of the show now and it makes me want to read the books again.

Yea, it's a good followup. It's a lot more focused (John Dies... felt like a handful of stories in a row, Spiders feels like a coherent plot) but a lot less humorous. If JDATE was a comedy-horror, TBIFOS is definitely a horror-comedy. It's downright mean at points as well. Still has some really funny moments.

You guys should check out my short story. The details are in my sig. I'll do an Amazon GC giveaway if I can get past 100 in the rankings. If you could vote and leave a review on my author page about my story that would be great. It has a nice little gaming twist at the end so I think it's appropriate for the CAG community.

I need to request the Way of Kings and finish that off. I have a great number of other books ahead of it.

I've read lots by Greg Bear. (mostly his early stuff that was more "hard" science fiction. nothing lately where I think he's gone more literary and tried to appeal to a wider audience)

The Desert Spear (Book two of the Demon Cycle)

51xqzlOSxXL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

It's pretty good, but focuses too much on some unecessary secondary characters where it could be pushing the plot and action forward.

51l-wEfZ53L.jpg

61LyYfFlRfL.jpg

Just finished these books. Awesome reading.
Hard to describe Shadow of the Wind...just a haunting and extremely well-written book about romance, secret libraries and mystery!
Ready Player One is just a fun book that appeals to the 80s children in us and video games.

[quote name='rhymenoceros']
51l-wEfZ53L.jpg

61LyYfFlRfL.jpg

Hard to describe Shadow of the Wind...just a haunting and extremely well-written book about romance, secret libraries and mystery!
Ready Player One is just a fun book that appeals to the 80s children in us and video games.[/QUOTE]

Read both of these books earlier this year and I liked them both very much. The writing in The Shadow of the Wind is superb. Zafon really has a way with words to create a great setting. A true pleasure to read.

Currently working my way through The Fall of Giants by Ken Follet.

Got about 80 pages into this. Don't really care about what's going on, and probably won't finish it.. Says it was the third book in the series. I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. The characaters don't feel interesting, very little is happening and the author is trying too hard to be "hipster".
51uXV9omAhL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

Finished up Among Others by Jo Walton. I highly recommend this book to anyone that is a fan of magic realism, very deserving of the Nebula award. Fantastic, real characters.

As for now, I am finishing up The Hobbit before the movie.

Adding Ready Player One to my Amazon wishlist, thanks for that.

Finally getting around to digging into the Diablo Archive that I got a number of months ago.

FINALLY finished A Dance with Dragons. Much better than A Feast For Crows in my opinion but DAMN does it drag in the middle.

Started The Great Gatsby on commute to work this morning. I'm trying to read some classics I was never made to read while growing up.

Reads like a YA novel. Pretty simplistic. But not that bad. An easy read, and I should be done with it by tomorrow.
Marsbound. By Joe Haldeman. (I remember reading Forever War and enjoying it, but don't recall if I read Forever Peace or not)
51Z6RH5NCkL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

currently 1/3 done with soulless

45 or so pages left in sword arts online vol 4
passable somewhat amusing

and about to start The dusk watchman : twilight reign book 5
maybe my favorite newer fantasy series I've read.
index.aspx

and will probably start Cross the Stars and Lucifer vol 4 sometime after that.

Just started reading "Be Here Now" by Ram Dass... it's a more intense, less mainstream version of The Power of Now, and definitely what The Power of Now was based on...really eye opening book.

Recently finished James Clavell's Tai-Pan, and Shogun before that. Both were pretty outstanding reads, thought I'll say Tai-Pan starts a bit slower.

Tai-Pan revolves around 19th century European opium traders settling Hong Kong, Shogun towards the end of medieval Japan.

[quote name='rhymenoceros']
51l-wEfZ53L.jpg

61LyYfFlRfL.jpg

Ready Player One is just a fun book that appeals to the 80s children in us and video games.[/QUOTE]

Just finished ready player one and wanted to drop in here and recommend it for anyone who grew up gaming in the 70s/80s or has a soft spot for golden age gaming. Great storytelling.

I've also finished the wool series by Hugh Howey (selfpub'd and would benefit from an editor). Read the first prequel and am halfway done with the second. Gonna probably stop with this one. The wool books were good, albeit slightly overwrought at times, but still entertaining.

I'm moving on to cloud Atlas next. Excited for this and not sure how I missed it.

Just finished reading Cold Days by Jim Butcher (Book 14 of The Dresden Files) and I thought it awesome. Much better than the last book, although the overall tone of the series is changing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nineteen Seventy Foure

Reads sort of like a British James Ellroy.
513e4-Zhs5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Once you make it past a bit of what seems like forced noir prose, it gets pretty good.

bread's done
Back