What are you currently reading? Post here!

I've been on a major Star Wars kick lately.

I'm currently reading Invincible which is the final book in the Legacy of the Force series. Good series.

But even better are the two Darth Bane novels by the guy who's a lead writer at Bioware. Those are OTHB.

Most recent book I read was Pendragon: Raven Rise. If you're a Sci-Fi fan, they're really good books. (Although, more for teenagers, I can't see a middle-aged adult reading these.) There's 9 books so far in the series and the final one comes out next June. I was really mad about the last one though, as I read it so fast (1 day), that it was over too quickly. Now I have to wait another year. :(

I'm reading Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Weis and Hickman. I'm waiting for Invincible to be available from the library, it's driving me crazy

[quote name='wubb']I've been on a major Star Wars kick lately.

I'm currently reading Invincible which is the final book in the Legacy of the Force series. Good series.

But even better are the two Darth Bane novels by the guy who's a lead writer at Bioware. Those are OTHB.[/quote]

Invincible was meh which is sad as the Legacy of the Force series is indeed overall pretty good. I reviewed it a while back in this thread if you wanna hear my opinion on it.

I also agree that the Darth Bane series is pretty good. I hope they continue w/ another book as I'm looking forward to seeing how his young woman Sith apprentice stabs him in the back.:lol:

Just finished The Road. Brilliant. I really loved it. I highly recommend you all check it out, whether you like the apocalypse genre or not.

[quote name='red flare graf']Finished Mythology by Edith Hamilton. Knowledge![/quote]
Ughh, I read that sophomore year. I hated it. Was a repeat of everything I already knew. Boring.

[quote name='Maklershed']Just finished The Road. Brilliant. I really loved it. I highly recommend you all check it out, whether you like the apocalypse genre or not.[/QUOTE]

One of my favorites as well. It's a heartbreakingly somber story about holding on to your humanity through mankind's darkest time. A definite must-read for anyone who loves the written word.

[quote name='red flare graf']Finished Mythology by Edith Hamilton. Knowledge![/quote]

I'm still reading this in short bursts. Very enjoyable, but then again I'm a bit of a mythology geek.

Picked up Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett last night. The pages seem to be turning themselves.

bmachine, I have Your Government Failed You on my Amazon wish list. Hoping to read that along with What Happened later this month.

[quote name='MidnightRain']Picked up Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett last night. The pages seem to be turning themselves.

bmachine, I have Your Government Failed You on my Amazon wish list. Hoping to read that along with What Happened later this month.[/quote]

Is this your first Terry Pratchett book? He's usually pretty amazing. Night Watch is my absolute favorite. Good Omens, the book that he wrote with Neil Gaiman, is brilliant, too.

I just added What Happened to my wishlist...didn't know that Clarke had another book. Thanks!

I've just finished my second and third graphic novels, with mixed results. The two graphic novels were Wanted, which is indefensibly bad, and the other was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was decent.

Am about 70 pages into The Terminal Man.It seems ok so far, it was written in the 70s so some of the tech is a little out dated, but the concept is good.

Halfway through the third Dexter book, which is getting a little off the wall, I hope be brings it back in.
and
The Cobra trilogy by Timothy Zahn.
I am reading D'auliare's (spelling?) Greek Myths to my boy, I've always like this one and the art.
Graphic novel wise, I just finished Harlan Ellison's Dream Corridor v2 and halfway through Judgement Day.

Finished The Amber Spyglass a couple of weeks ago. Didn't care for it as much I was though I would. Kinda disappointed. Halfway through Jarhead now. Read this when it was first released. Like the book, not so much the movie.

After hearing and reading here so much about World War Z, I picked it up and read it this weekend. I was really impressed. Very cool style, really made you almost believe there was a Zombie War. I expect to see Zack as I'm walking around town now.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Just finished Chuck Palahniuk's Snuff... disappointing.[/quote]

I really liked it. What were you disappointed by?

I thought the characters and the dialog were excellent.

I did find the end
(this is a big spoiler, so consider yourself warned if you intend to read the book)
a bit anti-climactic...I mean, the book only had 2 female characters, so once it was revealed that the "mystery child" was a girl it didn't take a slide-rule to figure out how the story was going to end.

Reading The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey. Just finished Dragonflight and Dragonquest by the same, as well as The Sunrise Landsby S. M. Stirling.

[quote name='bmachine']I really liked it. What were you disappointed by?

I thought the characters and the dialog were excellent.

I did find the end
(this is a big spoiler, so consider yourself warned if you intend to read the book)
a bit anti-climactic...I mean, the book only had 2 female characters, so once it was revealed that the "mystery child" was a girl it didn't take a slide-rule to figure out how the story was going to end.
[/quote]

The last few chapters just killed it for me. It almost felt like he had the story wrapped up, but then the publisher required 10 more pages.

I love Palahniuk's work... and I agree that Survivor and his other earlier works are phenominal stories. It just seems like he's fallen off... still somewhat witty, but kinda stale.

Besides... the shock value of his past couple of books has been relatively predictable... and shock is his selling point these days.

After finishing The Road, I'm back to reading At Home in Mitford. Its kind of boring and I'm really sick of it pushing the religion down the reader's throat but I'm strangely compelled to finish it.

About a month ago I learned of Kurt Vonnegut's book Armageddon In Retrospect and I had never heard of it so I reserved it. It came in the other day and I picked it up today. Has anyone read it or heard opinions of it? I've never heard anything about it, probably because it was released this year. I'm excited to start it, I loved Slaughterhouse Five and all of the short stories and essays I've read by him.

Finished the His Dark Materials trilogy yesterday.

Just started The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I don't know whether to love or hate the writing style yet.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']The last few chapters just killed it for me. It almost felt like he had the story wrapped up, but then the publisher required 10 more pages.

I love Palahniuk's work... and I agree that Survivor and his other earlier works are phenominal stories. It just seems like he's fallen off... still somewhat witty, but kinda stale.

Besides... the shock value of his past couple of books has been relatively predictable... and shock is his selling point these days.[/quote]

I used to be a huge Chuck fan. Then Diary came out. That was mediocre, at best. The next couple books just flat out sucked. Chuck has simply stooped to mimicking himself. Chuck Palahniuk presents Chuck Palahniuk writing a Chuck Palahniuk book. It's become so formulaic and shock driven, that I just don't care anymore. Rant absolutely broke this camel's back, and I won't be rushing out to buy anymore of his books until he says something new.

Otherwise, I'm reading Aloft by Chang-Rae Lee, and I'm so far disappointed. I loved Native Speaker, but this one is just too dull. Another victim of post-9/11 didactics.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Finished the His Dark Materials trilogy yesterday.

Just started The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I don't know whether to love or hate the writing style yet.[/quote]

Love, love, LOVE The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I've got a nice paper I wrote on it somewhere if you'd like some additional analysis when you're done :cool:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Love, love, LOVE The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I've got a nice paper I wrote on it somewhere if you'd like some additional analysis when you're done :cool:[/QUOTE]

Haha, sure. I'd love to read it and respond to it.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson[/quote]

How is that and what goes on in that book?

(I live right next to the appalachian trail)

Stars at War by David Weber and Steve White. Just finished The Road to Damascus by John Ringo and Linda Evans.

I just finished Halo contact harvest. It was ok. Ghost of onyx was pretty good.

Any one have the newest mass effect book. Acention?Any good?

The first one was great.

[quote name='Maklershed']How is that and what goes on in that book?

(I live right next to the appalachian trail)[/quote]

i like it so far, about half way done. Its this writer who likes to hike one day decides to hike the Appalachian Trail. So its pretty much him and a buddy hiking the trail. Very easy read, guy is funny too, its def worth at least a pick up.

Finished The Terminal Man yesterday, it was ok but a little out dated due to the technology. Will be starting The Road.

Just finished reading Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande. Interesting book about surgery and the imperfect science that is medicine.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Finished the His Dark Materials trilogy yesterday.

Just started The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I don't know whether to love or hate the writing style yet.[/QUOTE]

What was the name of that philosophy book you recommended to me a month or two ago? I've been craving something to read.

[quote name='rabbitt']What was the name of that philosophy book you recommended to me a month or two ago? I've been craving something to read.[/QUOTE]

Sophie's World.

One of my favorite books. It's not solid philosophy, but a...fictional romp through factual philosophical theories, I suppose.
It's hard to describe, but it's very good.

Let me know what you think.

Finished Jarhead. Better than I remember, probably due to a fresh prespective. I'm probably going to stop reading for the summer, have to catch up on my gaming and get ready for school and look for a job. Damnit, most I have read in years.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Sophie's World.

One of my favorite books. It's not solid philosophy, but a...fictional romp through factual philosophical theories, I suppose.
It's hard to describe, but it's very good.

Let me know what you think.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

nearly finished with john dies at the end. i'd reccomend it for horror book fans as well as old school horror film fans as don coscarelli has just announced its the next movie hes making.

its really fucking weird though

[quote name='cdubb1605']nearly finished with john dies at the end. i'd reccomend it for horror book fans as well as old school horror film fans as don coscarelli has just announced its the next movie hes making.

its really fucking weird though[/QUOTE]

ah Permuted Press, though they're good on paying authors on time (though that should be expected for their low pay rates) and they've released some good stuff (It's Only Temporary, Dying To Live and Bill Carl's upcoming book), I can't wait to watch them crash and burn.

bread's done
Back