What are you currently reading? Post here!

just got done with Banner Of Souls by Liz Williams (pretty good but not her best work) and about to start Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams

Finished Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 in one sitting recently.

Currently over half way through Richard Feynman's Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman.

I got David Morrell's The Spy Who Came for Christmas for, well, Christmas. I read it in about 4 days, in 50 page sessions. Really good book, and highly recommended.

I'm about to start on Generation Kill.

[quote name='bmachine']In the home stretch on Mike Carey's The Devil You Know...[/quote]

Mike Carey is presently writing Ender's Shadow: Battle School, a comic based on the Orson Scott Card series. Issue 1 came out last month (don't ask me how I know). Here's the IGN review.

Just finished Dan Simmon's Summer of Night. I was hoping to drag the book out for another 3 days or maybe a week, but instead I read it straight for the last 6 hours.

Now I need a new book.

Also, just want to recommend Dan Simmons for everyone. His horror, sci-fi, fantasy, etc. is all some of the best out there. I rank him very closely to Gene Wolfe.

Check out for horror: The Terror, Summer of Night, Son of Kali
Sci-Fi / Etc. - Hyperion Cantos, Olympos Saga

Just finished
Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks

Currently Reading
The Drunkards Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives - Leonard Mlodinow

I just finished The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. The book was great and then I watched the movie the next day. Blerg.

Next up is The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the book The Terror by Dan Simmons, but it is one of the raddest books ever. Read it.

514thX5cluL.jpg

Just over half way.

I just finished brisinger pretty decent.

I'm glad there will be a forth. I Just ordered the dark elf trilogy. This any good?

Can you guys tell me more sci-fi or fantisy books on scale with lord of the rings and eragon?
There is alot of crap fantasy and scifi out there and I'd rather avoid it if I can. Name some good stuff that should be movies but isn't yet type deals.

I'm getting star wars burn out. Ive read all but the legecy of the force. Just ordered the new luke skywalker and m falcon books as well. Any reason to read the legecy of the force books. ( not really into the direction the new series has gone)

Last edited by a moderator:
Margin of Safety, Risk Averse Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor by Seth Klarman. Interesting take on value investing. And I suppose it should be, considering it's out of print and selling on Amazon for $869 used (at last check). Don't ask how I got mine. :bomb:

Halo: The Cole Protocol by Tobias Buckell. Seems pretty good so far (I'm only 1/3 of the way in).

I was also reading the Taxi Driver screenplay. It's a great screenplay and helping with my scriptwriting in college too. But I returned it to the library today.

[quote name='Chase']Mike Carey is presently writing Ender's Shadow: Battle School, a comic based on the Orson Scott Card series. Issue 1 came out last month (don't ask me how I know). Here's the IGN review.[/quote]

I noticed that the back of The Devil You Know mentions that he also writes comics. I may have to check 'em out...thanks!

Ugh, I'm such a bad/ADD reader lately ... been listlessly jumping back and forth between Atlas Shrugged, The War Within, and Hot, Flat, and Crowded. Not making much progress in any of the three. :/

Just finished A Clash of Kings, starting on Storm of Swords. A Song of Ice and Fire is probably one of the best fantasy series out there right now.

I'm almost done with Watchmen and am about halfway through the Gears of War novel. Started reading GOW but misplaced it so started reading Watchmen. Now I must finish it before GOW and then I'll return both to my sister.

After that I'll probably read Speak and The Host since my sister lent me those.

Finished the first book of the Planet Of Adventure series. Though it was a bit clunky in some parts, it was fucking awesome. Adam Reith definitely has some similarities to John Carter but it didn't step on Burroughs' toes. Fast read and a whole lot of fun.

Just started the second book, The Servants of Wankh.

Also bought Elantris today. Can't wait to dig into this one though I'll probably finish up the Planet Of Adventure series and then get to the Lord Of The Trees/Mad Goblin double before I finally get to check out some of Brandon Sanderson's work.

Havent picked up a book in a while since my university library fined have gotten out of hand, but did snag The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch on clearance. Absolutely can not wait to get into it. Although at 200 pages it is a bit short

[quote name='Maklershed']All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy[/quote]

Done!

Can anyone recommend one of the following:

1. Fiction set in the 1800s in the south (No Twain or Sharah)

2. Something similar to Mass Effect book 1 (I cant get 2 because I havent played the game)

[quote name='Maklershed']Just started 1776 by David McCullough[/QUOTE]

That's a great book. Be sure to read John Adam's if you haven't already. 1776 was written as a companion book to it.

[quote name='Maklershed']Done!

2. Something similar to Mass Effect book 1 (I cant get 2 because I havent played the game)[/QUOTE]

read more mccarthy =)

blood meridian is 1800's
child of god and suttree are southern
theres also faulkner for southern fiction.

[quote name='Maklershed']I saw the HBO series based on the book. Does that count? :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's a good adaptation.

The book is excellent though, and much better than 1776 IMO (which was also very good) so I'd recommenced reading the book still if you enjoy 1776.

It's great since it has so many quotes taken from letters of Adam's, his wife, Jefferson etc. that it almost feels like an autobiography.

Just finished "The Walk Across America." I had pretty high hopes for it and I really think it exceeded them. I haven't loved a book that much in a long time.

[quote name='Maklershed']Done!

Hmm, have you read Lie Down in Darkness by Styron? I can't remember the exact date but I'm pretty sure it's late 1800's but it may be early 1900's.
It's a lot like As I lay Dying from Faulker in the tone except better, IMO.

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson is really good, too. Except not too south and I know for a fact it's 1920ish in time.

I'm reading Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist right now. It's pretty awesome. It's got a little vampire girl and a crazy pedophile that loves her. The movie got a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes which is pretty rare.

I'm reading two books for school, and one for myself. I'm enjoying all three though.

Jeanette Winterson "The Powerbook"
Toni Morrison "A Mercy"

Barack Obama "The Audacity of Hope"

bread's done
Back