What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Maklershed']Can someone recommend a good post-apocalypse book (other than The Road or Oryx and Crake)[/quote]

The Chrysalids (Rebirth)

I'm currently reading "Under the Banner of Heaven"

[quote name='Maklershed']Can someone recommend a good post-apocalypse book (other than The Road or Oryx and Crake)[/quote]

Have you read Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban? It's dense and weird but an amazing read. Imagine The Stand meets A Clockwork Orange. Killer stuff.

Also, while it's technically a "pre-apocalyptic" book, I love Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's easily the funniest book ever written about the end of the world.

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Miller is probably my favorite - not taking into consideration zombie books.

[quote name='Maklershed']Can someone recommend a good post-apocalypse book (other than The Road or Oryx and Crake)[/QUOTE]

Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling might interest you as well as A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller.

Whoops, didn't read the previous post before replying.

For some reason, I've been unable to 'get into' fiction for the last few years. I tear through non-fiction stuff (especially history, economics or linguistics related), but get bored even with authors that I've always enjoyed. This thread has given a lot of great suggestions though....maybe I need to branch out more.

FWIW...I'm reading Nudge (a book on behavioral economics), the Power of Babel (a book on how languages transform over time) and also re-reading The Prince by Machiavelli.

Finished Chapterhouse Dune and I'm going to go ahead and read the other two by his son. I kinda have to after that jacked up ending.

While at the beach the past week I read Jedi Trial by David Sherman and Dan Cragg, Dark Rendezvous by Sean Stewart, Kendermore by Mary Kirchoff and Dragons of the Dwarven Depths by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I'm now reading Dragons of the Highlord Skies by Weis and Hickman.

I'm reading (slowly) blood meridian. I have a huge stack of books next to my bed. My DS has limited my reading habits and now my brain is probably rotting.

edit: maklershed, some people enjoy I am Legend by Hienlen (sic) ... not the movie mind you.

Finished Ender's Game, it was good, and Caves of Steel, it was alright- good enough that I'm going to get the other books in the series, a little over a week ago. Started reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay a few days ago. I'm not sure what I think of it so far. The story is ok but I find something about the writing to be odd.

[quote name='rothgar24']edit: maklershed, some people enjoy I am Legend by Hienlen (sic) ... not the movie mind you.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't Heinlein but rather Richard Matheson. And if you do dig I Am Legend, you guys should read Theodore Sturgeon's Some Of Your Blood which was the book that inspired Matheson to write I Am Legend. Hell, read Sturgeon's writing in general, dude was truly a master when it comes to horror.

Actually, I think I'll re-read Some Of Your Blood

Im currently reading Lovely Bones. My mom has reccommended it to me a few times but i kept lumping it in the same catagory as the twilight series, for lame teen emos. But it's not and it's actually a pretty good read so far.

Recently finished: Been on a huge horror kick lately: Edward Lee's Infernal series ( I quickly sped through all three in three days.), Jailbait Zombie (Book 4 of the Felix Gomez Vampire Dick. series, pretty dissapointed in this one.), America Alone, The Alchemist.

Sitting on my nightstand: Guns, Germs, and Steel., Snow Crash, Marine Sniper, Me Talk Pretty One Day

Have any of you ever read the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher? I was recently discussing my love of Charlie Huston's "horror-noir" novels with a friend and he recommended these.

I hate fantasy fiction, so when I looked Jim Butcher up on Amazon and started reading about wizards and whatnot, I got a little worried. I was thinking maybe I could get a 20-word review from one of my fellow CAGs.

Will I like these books?

[quote name='bmachine']Have any of you ever read the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher? I was recently discussing my love of Charlie Huston's "horror-noir" novels with a friend and he recommended these.

I hate fantasy fiction, so when I looked Jim Butcher up on Amazon and started reading about wizards and whatnot, I got a little worried. I was thinking maybe I could get a 20-word review from one of my fellow CAGs.

Will I like these books?[/QUOTE]

Not regular fantasy but rather Urban Fantasy. Think along the lines of a serious Garrett PI set in a modern world. IMO, they are okay books but nothing great. I wouldn't read them if you've ever been to Chicago as Butcher really fucks up the city

For the fans of GRRM's Ice and Fire series, HBO has green-lit the Game of Thrones pilot for filming in October in Northern Ireland this year.

How far have you gotten in the Hyperion series Sneaky? I absolutely loved the first two books, still haven't read the last two though.

I ordered Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the other day, and I can't wait to start reading it tomorrow.

Recently finished the Gears of War Novel : Aspho Fields. Currently Reading Resident Evil : The Umbrella Conspiracy. I've had the resident evil novels for a while , and while I've heard that the books take a lot of liberty's with the story , I've enjoying it thus far.

I'm generally a sucker for video game based novels though. I've read a bunch and have a bunch more to read through.

A Long Way Gone by Immanuel Beah. Really good book about the civil war in Sierra Leone as well as the whole revolution and Blood Diamond conflict. It's kinda like reading Far Cry 2.

[quote name='darthbudge']

I ordered Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the other day, and I can't wait to start reading it tomorrow.[/quote]

*high five*

Did you get Hell's Angels too?

Anyone elese getting Chuck Phanachuimqiwchnowqeic's new book Pygmy when it comes in a few weeks? Isis's new album Wavering Radiant comes out the same day so im looking forward to May 5.

Currently re-reading all the Repairman Jack books by F Paul Wilson. If you think the Dresden Files is urban fantasy, think of the Repairman Jack books as URBAN Action.

Currently in the middle of what may be my favorite RJ book: Crisscross.

Any other F Paul Wilson fans here????

[quote name='darthbudge']How far have you gotten in the Hyperion series Sneaky? I absolutely loved the first two books, still haven't read the last two though.

I ordered Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the other day, and I can't wait to start reading it tomorrow.[/quote]

I'm a little less than halfway through the first book. I have the other three all lined up to be read at one point, I just haven't had much time with finals and all. Now that I'm done with school I'm hoping to power through them.

Started Speaker for the Dead yesterday, about halfway through.. great first half raising a lot of questions, hopefully OSC provides some satisfying answers

picked up Hunt At The Well Of Eternity on Saturday

GabrielHunt.jpg

not bad so far but the fact that its set in modern times is a disappointment. I kinda understand that they are trying to create a bit of a buffer between Hunt and Doc Savage (though borrowing quite heavily from the Savage mythos) but a modern day pulp adventure series just seem wrong. He shouldn't be able to google a girl's name or have a SUV try to ram him off the road

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']And now finished Double Star while the missus finished Deathly Hallows. Going to read Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem now.[/quote]

I'm reading through Harry Plopper right now. Then it's back to Dune. I've been dreading books 7 and 8 for fear of what his son did to the series, but I have to know how it ends.

[quote name='mkg12']Finished Ender's Game, it was good, and Caves of Steel, it was alright- good enough that I'm going to get the other books in the series, a little over a week ago. Started reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay a few days ago. I'm not sure what I think of it so far. The story is ok but I find something about the writing to be odd.[/QUOTE]
Finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and Slaughterhouse-Five. I don't know what to think of Slaughterhouse-Five. Reading Neverwhere right now.

Anyone read The Door into Summer by Heinlein? How is it?

Decided to also pick up The Essential Ellison: A 50 Year Retrospective, which is this gargantuan 1200 page behemoth containing the best of Harlan Ellison's work, from his first stories to his most recent output. Going to be reading a story a night in order to work through the damn thing.

Good stuff.
Essential Ellison is a great book, I've checked it out from the library but would love to own it.
I want that one and Maps in the Mirror, the collection of Orson Scott Card short stories.

I'm reading Motherless Brooklyn as well, I'm about 2/3 of the way done. I think I liked Men and Cartoons better, but I also think I'm more of a short story fan. (For instance I enjoyed the PG Wodehouse short stories I've read more than the novels).
I'm still slowly working through the Complete Lovecraft, and I also just got a book of CJ Cherryh's short stories. Between big books, long games, and complete series DVD sets, I rarely actually finish anything.

I have read Door into Summer, and while I'm sure I enjoyed it, I don't remember too much about it, so it must not have made too much of an impression.

Do I need to read Forever War before I read Forever Peace? I started reading the latter and feel like I should know things from the first book. I know it's not a sequel or anything either.

bread's done
Back