What are you currently reading? Post here!

finally started reading a book again Woorld War Z been holding off on reading it due to games and such but with the movie coming at some point i want to get it read. read the suvivial guide last year and enjoyed it.

[quote name='MrBlonde9993']Just finished "the strain" a great read.[/QUOTE]

I cannot put this book down. I usually only have time to read during my lunch break, so it's painful to have to get back to work after reading a few pages at a time!

[quote name='darthbudge']I j ust saw that book (Cryptonomicon) when I was packing up all my books today, and it reminded me that I never finished. I should try and finish that some day when I have the time.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you're familiar w/ Stephenson's writing style but his endings are usually weak (as they tend to feel tacked on in comparison to the majority of the story). But then again, I don't read his stories for the endings since his descriptive prose usually makes up for it.

No way. Speaker for the Dead is good, but Ender's Game was better.
qft.

enders game and enders shadow by orson scott card. read them..NOW
just finished zombie survival guide..really informative!

if anyone has read these books and loved them, do u have reccomendations?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Working on "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. Definitely slow going but I keep getting told that the ending makes it all worth while.[/QUOTE]

i tried to read that but damn was it boring...gave up after a hundred pages..:drool:

Ive just started reading John Green's books and OMG just awesome :D Plus i got them all from amazon for free (look in my sig). Took me about 2 weeks to order all his books though. Good stuff. Will get some other books that people recommend?

[quote name='bmachine']Monster Island by David Wellington. It's better than World War Z.[/QUOTE]

I heard mixed reviews. I read the back cover (yeah yeah) and it really didn't seem too interesting.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']enders game and enders shadow by orson scott card. read them..NOW
just finished zombie survival guide..really informative!

if anyone has read these books and loved them, do u have reccomendations?[/QUOTE]

Armor by John Steakley

Finally finished the last 100 or so pages of Choke, Chuck Palanuik. I'm one of those people that get on a reading kick for about a year and then don't read at all for two years, rinse repeat. Last thing I read before choke was Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall. Good Wacky read if you like Mark Z. Danielewski's stuff. Steven Halls first book, can't wait for more.

Also saw that Alex Garland is heavily involved in Ninja Theory's new game Enslaved. Love all that guys books too.

Not huge into who's who with books/authors but I do like weird different stuff like the authors mentioned above...any recommendations. House of Leaves will always be my #1 favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished reading Cory Doctorow's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom It's a pretty interesting read, but it was rather brief and the plot somewhat predictable. Doctorow definitely creates an interesting and humorous future that lampoons our growing reliance on computers, the internet, social networks.

Monster Island by David Wellington

1560258500.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Oh that reminds me, I was browsing the books on Amazon and I saw a book from the same series as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's called Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. :lol:

Recently Finished:

In Cold Blood-Truman Capote. Really liked it a lot, very well written and detailed piece of journalism.

The Lost Symbol- Dan Brown. Not great, big let down from Angels & Demons and Davinci Code. But still enjoyable. Just not as interesting a plot, or twists etc.

Now Reading:

His Excellency: George Washington--Joseph Ellis

[quote name='Maklershed']Oh that reminds me, I was browsing the books on Amazon and I saw a book from the same series as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's called Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I picked that up a week ago. No clue when I'll get to it, but I've heard it's a lot more fucked up.

I was in the mood for a good old-fashioned murder mystery, so I've been reading "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie. I'm almost done with it, so I think I'll be starting "Soul Music" by Terry Pratchett soon.

I just ordered Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Looking forward to finally reading this book I see mentioned so often. After that will be World War Z which I ordered at the same time. I loves me a good zombie story and the audiobook version was really well done.

finally getting to House to House: A Soldier's Memoir by David Bellavia that has been sitting on my bookshelf for awhile. Really good so far, makes for a nice compliment to No True Glory

Audiobook: The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

The Killing Moon - Chuck Hogan
The Blood Artists - Chuck Hogan

They all arrived at my library at the same time for me, so I'm not sure how the hell I'm going to get through them all before they're due back.:D

The Call of Cthulhu, by H.P. lovecraft.

After I finish this tale, I'm gonna read the other 21 that are in this compilation book.

Currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger which i'm really enjoying.

Prior to this I read Ender's Game which I have no idea why I put off reading that for so long...so good. Might pick up the next in the series but not sure as I have a pretty big pile to get through in my library.

I'm torn on what to read next:

The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr
Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Thoughts?

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I'm about 50 pages in and it's really terrible so far. After reading George R.R. Martin's books, nobody else cuts the mustard in the fantasy novels genre. You get so spoiled by his series that you just can't enjoy anything else.

EDIT: Lol, I go and post about George and someone else did up above!

[quote name='RockinTheRedDog']
I'm torn on what to read next:

The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr
Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Read Game of Thrones. It will blow you away. Trust me. Get about 50 pages in and you'll be hooked. Lucky bastard, when I started reading it there were only two books in the series, you get to read 4 in a row with no waiting. The wait for the 5th book is agony. The pilot for a potential HBO series is filming in a week or so. Here's the cast so far: http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/2001/01/cast-so-far.html

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Reading World War Z, interesting so far.
Haven't really dove in to it, but I like it so far.[/QUOTE]

finished that one a few weeks ago one of the best books ive ever read. im reading Behold a Pale Horse now.

bread's done
Back