What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='lokizz']finished that one a few weeks ago one of the best books ive ever read. im reading Behold a Pale Horse now.[/QUOTE]

At first, I was turned away of the format of it. Just seemed like it was going to drag, but it has pulled me in. Read a bit more of it since my last post, and it doesn't take long to appreciate this book. Wish there were more like it.

Just finished Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne by David Gaider. It was an excellent read. Much better than you would expect for something written in a video game world. I am now starting the other Dragon Age prequel and counting down the days until the game is released.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I'm about 50 pages in and it's really terrible so far. After reading George R.R. Martin's books, nobody else cuts the mustard in the fantasy novels genre. You get so spoiled by his series that you just can't enjoy anything else.[/QUOTE]

I read that back in High School; it was alright, but I remember hating all of the character's names.

I am currently reading Stephen King's Song Of Susannah. The series is pretty good about tying in other King books, but this one is starting to get silly about it.

51ssf6fifgl-_ss500_.jpg

[quote name='legonerd']I am currently reading Stephen King's Song Of Susannah. The series is pretty good about tying in other King books, but this one is starting to get silly about it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the series definitely went in a weird direction with that one. I really loved the series but I think it peaked with Wolves of the Calla.

I just finished Tokyo Vice, the book that cheapy mentioned reading on his kindle on the last podcast. it's the story of a jewish american who worked as a reporter for a japanese newspaper and his coverage of murders, the sex trade and the yakuza. it was very interesting.

Im reading "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." So far, not at all what I expected but pretty enjoyable. I thought for some reason it would be much funnier.

I'm reading about what other people have been reading. Unfortunately it has been a long long time since I have read a novel. Last series of them I did read was the Hitchhikers guide.
smile

Finished Carnifex by Tom Kratman the other night and am continuing my re-read of the Wheel of Time.
Carnifex was quite good. If you like right-wing military sci-fi, check it out.

Finished Spartan Gold. It was good for anyone that's looking for a fun, easy read. I guess they call that beach reading?

Anywho, I'm on to Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.

In October I read:

The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

I enjoyed all 3, but holy shit Of Mice and Men was incredible.

This month I'll be working through more Steinbeck to amuse myself.

Finished Das Energi (bunch of nihilistic new age mumbo jumbo), now going to try and get through some of my sci-fi collection starting with The 10th Victim by Robert Sheckley.

[quote name='ph33r m3']Book of Basketball.

Amazing.[/QUOTE]

Required reading for any hoops fan in my opinion. I love the constant blow jokes when he talks about the seventies. Also the Russell Chamberlain chapter is great

Just finished His Excellence: George Washington by Joseph Ellis. Solid biography. A bit short and lacking in details compared to say David McCulloughs work, but still a good read.

Up next, some lighter fare. The Ghost King by R.A. Salvatore.

Just finished a couple recently.

The Ghost King- R.A. Salvatore. Enjoyed it. One of the better recent books in his long running series. Though this Transitions trilogy was kind of odd in that it wasn't really a trilogy as the books were complete stand alone stories.

The Road-Cormac McCarthy. I didn't care for it that much. An easy read, and entertaining at times. But beyond painting a pretty vivid picture of struggling to survive in a post-apocalyptic world, it didn't have much going for it. Not a whole lot happens, I didn't like the writing style, lack of chapters etc.

Not sure what I'll read next. Have a bunch of samples on the Kindle to pick from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got about 60 pages into Jack the Bodiless by Julian May. Put it down, didnt like it. Even though it said it was book one of a series, appearently I need to read the other trilogies first to understand what's going on.

Started Heirs of Earth by Dix/Willams - last book in the series. really enjoying it.

Started The Demon Awakens by R.A. Salvatore last night. Decided to stick with some light fantasy. Too burnt out at the moment to read anything that requires too much effot, so another Salvatore trilogy should fit the bill! I've been meaning to read some of his work outside the Forgotten Realms universe for years anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading The Road and need to finish it by the morning since I'm going to watch the movie tomorrow as an early birthday gift (B-day is on Monday). I've almost gotten teary a few times but finally shed tears after finding out what was going on in the farmhouse and reading what the man was prepared to do afterwards. Can't wait to see how they translated the book on the big screen.

I just started reading The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn. It seems a little slow so far, but I'll keep reading to see if it grabs my attention.

[quote name='eldergamer']Got about 60 pages into Jack the Bodiless by Julian May. Put it down, didnt like it. Even though it said it was book one of a series, appearently I need to read the other trilogies first to understand what's going on.
[/QUOTE]

I read the other Julian May series first (Pliocene Exile Saga), and I put down Jack the Bodiless as well. The Pliocene Exile Saga is much, much better. If you decide to read it, you will want to start off with "The Many Colored Land."

I've just finished reading some books by Steve Alten about Megalodon sharks wreaking havoc in the modern world: Meg, The Trench, and Meg Primal Waters. I'm waiting for the fourth book in the series to arrive at my local library: Hell's Aquarium. Because gigantic sharks are awesome.

I finished The Catcher in the Rye recently -- really great book. I just started The N.igger of the Narcissus. (Like my intentional typo? This is one of the very few times that the word is appropriate, CAG! Don't gimme those dollar signs!) Going from Salinger to Conrad is kind of a jarring transition.

I'm also moving on to Book 6 of Akira. Having seen the movie before reading the series, I'm still surprised at how different the graphic novels are, story-wise, from the movie.

bread's done
Back