What are you currently reading? Post here!

Finished Switch. It was a good read, more focused on business managers or social reformers than individual change though.

Started this last night and I'm digging it so far.

51rcwtb7xJL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

shadowofthegiant.jpg

Currently working on the Ender's Game series again.
I also have a lot of books I got from yard sales last year that I need to read, but those can wait for now.

[quote name='ROB64']
shadowofthegiant.jpg

Currently working on the Ender's Game series again.
I also have a lot of books I got from yard sales last year that I need to read, but those can wait for now.[/QUOTE]

I really loved this book. Bean is the fucking man.
I am eagerly waiting for the final book, shadows in flight.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Started (and almost finished) The Hunger Games yesterday. Even though it is just Battle Royal, it's well written and hard to put down.[/QUOTE]

I just finished this a few days ago and it was just a pleasure to read. Finished it in two sessions.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']
I am eagerly waiting for the final book, shadows in flight.
[/QUOTE]
Same here, that's the main reason I started reading (and bought all of) these books again.

Bought and read Citadel by John Ringo yesterday. It, like pretty much everything else he has written, was amazing and kept me up way too late reading it. I can't wait for The Hot Gate to come out later this year.

[quote name='gbpackers94']The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons
City of Thieves by David Benioff[/QUOTE]

Both are fantastic reads. I read them both a couple of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished Stranger than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk.

It's a good read. Just a collection of essays, articles, interviews etc. by him. Some are very good reads, some are pretty pedestrian. But worth reading if you're a big fan of his writing.

[quote name='bmachine'][/QUOTE]

That almost sounds tempting. There's alot of books doing the mash-up of modern day and horror/fantasy these days. Although most of them seem to be revolving around the themes of "Women and the Vampires/Werewolves/Angels/whatever who love them"

I'd really like just some good old-fashioned straight forward noir stuff.

[quote name='eldergamer']That almost sounds tempting. There's alot of books doing the mash-up of modern day and horror/fantasy these days. Although most of them seem to be revolving around the themes of "Women and the Vampires/Werewolves/Angels/whatever who love them"

I'd really like just some good old-fashioned straight forward noir stuff.[/QUOTE]

Mike Carey's really good. He's got a few titles with this main character, Felix Castor, that I've really enjoyed. They've got a "Neil Gaiman-meets-Raymond Chandler" vibe that works for me.

If you're looking for modern noir with a bit of a twist, you should definitely read Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt Casebooks. They're Palahniuk-esque in style and tone with a hardcore gumshoe protagonist who happens to be a vampire. Not much romance or mythology, just great, vivid characters and surprising mysteries. I love 'em.

Lastly, if you want some good modern noir without the paranormal twist, check out Will Christopher Baer's amazing stuff.

As I posted in the Kindle thread, I'm still reading The Windup Girl. It takes a while to get into, but after about 75 pages or so and you start to figure things out it becomes pretty intriguing, though I'm not entirely sure the author's glimpse of the future makes a ton of sense.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Finally bit the bullet and started:

51VgNCpzqBL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You won't regret it. An amazing series... too bad A Dance with Dragons is taking forever to be released.

Yeah, that's why I was holding off, I hate reading series that aren't completed as I forget everything by the time the next book comes out.

But I figure I can find some plot synopses online down the road.

[quote name='kill3r7']You won't regret it. An amazing series... too bad A Dance with Dragons is taking forever to be released.[/QUOTE]

George better haul ass on Dance. I can totally predict him being like halfway through writing book 6 and HBO already aired the previous 5 seasons.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']George better haul ass on Dance. I can totally predict him being like halfway through writing book 6 and HBO already aired the previous 5 seasons.[/QUOTE]

He is safe with HBO they are pretty deliberate on producing stuff.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']George better haul ass on Dance. I can totally predict him being like halfway through writing book 6 and HBO already aired the previous 5 seasons.[/QUOTE]

I'm convinced he will never finish the series due to his poor health and all the other projects that keep taking up his time. I guess sometimes life gets in the way...isn't that what George has been saying for a few years now?

Yeah, that's just it, HBO will want to produce something but he won't have the material for them. And I don't think they'll be able to do like Showtime does with Dexter and just put their own spin on it without losing a shitload of viewers.

His health is fine. He admitted he's fat but hasn't had any health issues except a recent flu that he must have got through the typical traveling that goes along with him always attending various conventions, signings, etc.

It's just that splitting the 4th book up into two books created a clusterfuck in regards to pacing. With the football season over, he'll probably crank the 5th book out any day now. Another thing that delayed his writing was probably all the PR stuff he had to do for HBO. He spent a lot of time on the sets and doing junkets, like for the TCA tour.

Yeah, that was my main hesitation to starting the series. It's bad enough having to wait for books to come out. Even worse when the author is getting up there in years and is obese and could easily keel over before finishing them.

Started this Sunday, probably will finish it tonight at work

Crime fiction, but with a strictly amoral lead character. Slightly unbelivable, you figure that one of the characters who got their 'teeth punched in' is going to get some questions asked of them by the police at the ER.

I'm currently reading "Be ready when the sh*t goes down: A survival guide to the apocalypse" by Forrest Griffin..... the guy is pretty funny, and has some interesting stories.... Just got done reading his first book "Got Fight" and that one was pretty interesting as well. Alot of stories about preparing for fights, and what it takes to be an mma fighter, but all written with wit and comedy intertwined.

Just finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It was excellent and it is a shame that the wait for the second book in the series is going to be so long because of the other obligations he has.

I generally like Lois McMaster Bujold. I love the Miles series. (I read them all through high school, wow a decade and a half ago) Her latest stuff is more fantasy. And this one is more Fantasy/Romance. I'm only 50 pages in so far. She still can write though

ReadingCountdown: The Liberators by Tom Kratman. It is the beginning of a new military fiction series and the launch of Baen's move into thrillers.

I am about 3/4ths of the way through Life by Keef Richards. Book has lived up to my expectations so far and has been an enjoyable read. This guy really has lived an interesting life.

Griftopia by Matt Taibbi. I am about halfway through and the more I read the more pissed off I get. How are none of these people in jail?

Started and finished this in two days.

Seriously, a Doctor Who novel? It doesnt get geekier than that. And strangely enough this is my first experience with the character. I've never seen the show or anything. I only picked it up because it was in the new arrivals section at the library, and it had a lovely black/white combination on the cover.

Want to finish Riven Kingdom by Karen Miller. Worse than the first book. It's just replaced the morally irredemable characters with broad strokes arhetypes. I'm trying to skim it as fast as I can just to be done with it. I might just skip to the last 100 pages and start there.

[quote name='kill3r7']Just started Team of Rivals for the third time (here's hoping I finish reading it this time).

51ImAbRL4xL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I bought this and John Adams the other day. Just finished Griftopia and started reading The Great Derangement, but I may end up putting that down for Team of Rivals. Griftopia pissed me off way too much and I think I might need a break.

bread's done
Back