What are you currently reading? Post here!

Finished re-reading The Name of the Wind and read The Wise Man's Fear. The Wise Man's Fear was exceptionally good. It outdid its predecessor and may be the best book I have read in at least a decade. I recommend it to anyone who is a enjoys reading, no matter of what genre you are a fan.

Jesus Christ it took me a while to get through Blood Meridian.

Beautifully god damn written, but holy horse cocks, McCarthy - way to make a cast of characters that I give absolutely zero fucks about.

Just Finished:
93690972.JPG

Still Reading:
47653024.JPG

[quote name='ian1418']Finished re-reading The Name of the Wind and read The Wise Man's Fear. The Wise Man's Fear was exceptionally good. It outdid its predecessor and may be the best book I have read in at least a decade. I recommend it to anyone who is a enjoys reading, no matter of what genre you are a fan.[/QUOTE]

How are the endings?Do they leave a lot open, resolve well? I know it's a fairly new series and am very wary of starting it since it could be many years before it's done.

I loveed Name of the Wind. Seriously it was probably one of my favorite books ever. I am was waiting on WMF till Spring Break so I could read it relaxed. I am probably picking it up today....

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']How are the endings?Do they leave a lot open, resolve well? I know it's a fairly new series and am very wary of starting it since it could be many years before it's done.[/QUOTE]

Some of the major plot themes from the first book are resolved, while new ones are created and left open. As the middle book of a trilogy, everything couldn't be resolved in this book. It was better than In the Name of the Wind and it was recently voted to be one of the 10 best books of the last decade.

Just to keep this thread going:

I started this last night at work. Between reading on my second break and a slow last hour I got threw 100 pages. A little shallow, but not bad.

Reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi. It is supposed to be one of the 10 best sci-fi & fantasy books of the past 10 years. Only about 30-40 pages in, but it is pretty good so far.

Started "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs. I read Running with Scissors not too long ago and liked it. Burroughs isn't as laugh out loud funny as someone like Sedaris but there are so many wtf moments.

[quote name='ian1418']Some of the major plot themes from the first book are resolved, while new ones are created and left open. As the middle book of a trilogy, everything couldn't be resolved in this book. It was better than In the Name of the Wind and it was recently voted to be one of the 10 best books of the last decade.[/QUOTE]

Hmm well I think I'll try and hold off until the 3rd book comes out. Even though I've heard nothing but good things.

Man. Oh man. I just finished reading The Wise Man's Fear, and there were parts were I seriously was just WOW! I loved Name of the Wind, I mean absolutely adored it..but Wise Man's Fear topped it in my opinion.

Now comes the hard task of deciding what to read next.. I think I might pick up the second Game of Thrones book. I really enjoyed the first, I didn't continue with the second then because I wanted to reread Name of the Wind. Part of me kind of wants to pick up the last "Blackest Night" segment of the Green Lantern arc, but I can wait. I want to have all of "Blackest Night" and "Brightest Day" before I totally dive into that.

I've heard that "Planetary" by Warren Ellis was really good too, have any of you read that? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Guns, Germs and Steel was very good. I read it a couple of years ago for a class in graduate school. How did you like it?

Read Freakonomics. Not that good, a few chapters were interesting, the others not so much. Felt like most of the chapters were mostly sociology with facts added in later to justify a preconceived notion.

Now that The Crippled God is out, I am contemplating a re-read of the entire Malazan Books of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.

Not something I'm currently reading but something I'm interested in reading. I'm thinking about checking out Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West , anyone read them that can recommend a good version/edition/translation? There are several of each available on Amazon and reviews between version seem hit and miss.

THE GATHERING STORM by Jordan/Sanderson. FINALLY this story is wrapping up. Lost interest years ago due to delays etc. but Sanderson is doing a great job tying everything together.

[quote name='cindersphere']Read Freakonomics. Not that good, a few chapters were interesting, the others not so much. Felt like most of the chapters were mostly sociology with facts added in later to justify a preconceived notion.[/QUOTE]

You definitely hit the nail right there.

I can see how people who know little about economics find it incredible (I have a friend who goes to MIT who calls this the Gladwell effect) but there are better books that are just as short/accessible and more informative.

I'm looking forward to the show although I doubt I'll get around to watching it until later. Definately can't watch it when the kids are up, and it's usually game time once they go to bed.

Yeah, I"ll probably watch it later as well since I don't get HBO. I think I read it will be free to stream online, but I'd rather wait and watch in HD on the TV or when it comes out on disc since I can't hook up a PC to my big screen currently (it's older and doesn't have a PC input and my laptop and desktop only have RGB outputs).

I just finished David Sedaris' Holidays on Ice. It was my first Sedaris book. While the first few stories were good, the last few stories left me feeling uneasy. I like hearing him on This American Life and The Moth Stories though...how are his other books?

Started to read Michael J. Fox's Always Looking Up yesterday.

[quote name='RockinTheRedDog']I just finished David Sedaris' Holidays on Ice. It was my first Sedaris book. While the first few stories were good, the last few stories left me feeling uneasy. I like hearing him on This American Life and The Moth Stories though...how are his other books?.[/QUOTE]

I think most of his books are more funny than sad or bittersweet. Holidays on Ice is actually one of the few I didn't read but I really liked all the other ones. Naked is the most 'novel-like' of all his novels. It has a few essays up front but the second half of the book is about his time in a nudist colony.

Mythology by Edith Hamilton, refrence book about classical mythology & The Fat Man: A Tale of North Pole Noir. Fat Man is short (276 pgs) but it's a great book that brings in characters from other memorable Xmas stories. Not crazy violent but not book for kids either.

[quote name='silentevil']Mythology by Edith Hamilton, refrence book about classical mythology & The Fat Man: A Tale of North Pole Noir. Fat Man is short (276 pgs) but it's a great book that brings in characters from other memorable Xmas stories. Not crazy violent but not book for kids either.[/QUOTE]

Ahh! I just saw that book (The Fat Man: A Tale of North Pole Noir) in Borders and I was curious but put it back. I need to lessen my To Read pile before I can buy new books...even though Borders is going out of business and has 50% off...

I'll list it on my Good Reads to remind me to keep it in mind.

[quote name='RockinTheRedDog']Ahh! I just saw that book (The Fat Man: A Tale of North Pole Noir) in Borders and I was curious but put it back. I need to lessen my To Read pile before I can buy new books...even though Borders is going out of business and has 50% off...

I'll list it on my Good Reads to remind me to keep it in mind.[/QUOTE]

That's where I picked it up at.

I've enjoyed almost everything I've read by Alastair Reynolds. The books are usually confusing as hell and filled with science way over my head, but...

Reading the Guardians on Ga'Hoole series. Nothing really special, but just enough to keep me coming back. A little bit of a Harry Potter clone, but the owl gimmick so far is okay. I'm 5 books in, there are 15 in total. Not sure I'll make it to the end, but enjoying it alright. It helps that each book only takes about 2 days to read.

bread's done
Back