What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='kill3r7']and started A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.[/QUOTE]

This is a really cute book, but totally different from what I was expecting.

[quote name='Maklershed']Finished The Door into Summer and started Eon

Eon by Greg Bear[/QUOTE]

I remember reading this like 20 some years ago. Usually anything by Greg Bear is pretty good.
I don't understand or comprehend the science but I enjoy it.

[quote name='kill3r7']Finished Master and Commander

Master+and+commander.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Phenomenal book. I really loved it. I should read some of the sequels. What did you think?

[quote name='eldergamer']I remember reading this like 20 some years ago. Usually anything by Greg Bear is pretty good.
I don't understand or comprehend the science but I enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to getting into it. Hopefully I dont get too burned out on the 'object in space' story line as I'm concurrently reading Pushing Ice on the hard copy side of things.

[quote name='Maklershed']Phenomenal book. I really loved it. I should read some of the sequels. What did you think?[/QUOTE]

I loved it. I definitely plan to read the rest of the series but I want to space them out a bit.

[quote name='kill3r7']I loved it. I definitely plan to read the rest of the series but I want to space them out a bit.[/QUOTE]

If you're serious about the books, get A Sea of Words. It's an awesome companion to the Aubrey-Maturin books that explains the nautical and medical technology, the diction, and some of the history/setting. It's absolutely essential IMO as it will improve your appreciation for the books many times over.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Since a lot of you have Kindle's I figure I'll ask here:

I can get a used Kindle Keyboard tomorrow for $42. I'm not sure if it's 3G or just Wi-fi and if it's special offers or not. Seemed to work fine and I'd have a return period available to me. Is there anything I should be wary about buying one used? Or is that a good enough price to say fuck it?[/QUOTE]

Kindles are pretty long lasting. Just test it out. As long as the screen displays fine, it should be good to go.

For that price definitely go for it if it seems in good condition. 3G/Wifi isn't a big deal IMO. I had a K1 and K2 with 3G, but went wifi only for the K3 as I always have a bunch of books to be read loaded on it, so I seldom had a need to download anything while out and about anyway.

[quote name='dothog']If you're serious about the books, get A Sea of Words. It's an awesome companion to the Aubrey-Maturin books that explains the nautical and medical technology, the diction, and some of the history/setting. It's absolutely essential IMO as it will improve your appreciation for the books many times over.[/QUOTE]

Thx for the recommendation. I'll make sure to pick it up.

Yea, I ended up grabbing it. $45 after tax. So far it seems to work just fine, loaded it with a bunch of books and haven't even scratched the memory yet. Noy the 3G version (even though it was marked as such) but oh well, that wasn't a selling point.

Been reading Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow. I'm liking it a lot better than some of his other books. I'm not sure if it's just lighter on the technobabble or if the fact that it takes place in the future allows him to work it better into the plot. Either way, I don't feel like someone accidentally inserted some articles from Wired in the book like I did with Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town.

Finished The Weird of the White Wolf (Kindle is making it easier to read). Decided to finally see what all the fuss is about and started A Game of Thrones.

Getting back to the second book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I also picked up The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and Cory Doctorow's For The Win.

Finished Moneyball. Good read if you're into baseball. If not, stick with the movie as the stats etc. would probably bore you.

Up next:

51Y-SFGusBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Pretty good. I usally enjoy anything by MacDonald, although this isnt part of the Lew Archer series. Anything with the Black lizard imprint is usually pretty good for noir as well. Although the fact Amazon is charging $11 for a 200 page book is why I buy my books used.

[quote name='bobo2k4']Going to restart Hunger Games book 2. Got 31% (kindle) through it and stopped.[/QUOTE]

Ooh, keep going. I just finished 2 and 3. Mockingjay did not develop or end how I was expecting it to, and it was one of those rare things where the places it went were both completely consistent and astonishing.

It wasn't a "twist", it wasn't a cheat. It was a fitting end to a great set of books. It seems like I've read a bunch of disappointing books lately, so it was great to read something that exceeded already high expectations.

Just started the third book in the Johannes Cabal trilogy, Johannes Cabal and the Fear Institute.

Also just finished The Society of Steam: The Falling Machine, and Timeless (Book 5 of The Parasol Protectorate. So addicted to Gail Carriger's books it's not even funny)

Trying to decide on which new zombie novel to start, but there's so damn many not sure what to pick....

For a fantasy novel, this moves at a blistering pace. Character POVs are only 2-3 pages each. And there's only 4-5 characters to switch through. Things actually happen! As opposed to pages and pages of "Soon their plots would come to fruition"... and other excessive foreshadowing compared to the last Tad Williams book I read.

Finished reading:

mr-vertigo.jpg

Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster

Not one of my favorites of his but still a fun book.

Started reading:

books

Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers

Love this show and the books are fun quick reads smegheads :)

Finished Pushing Ice. Phenomenal book. I can't recommend it enough. Definitely one of the best books I've ever read. If you like books that have a tinge of Dead Space or Mass Effect, or are just set in space, set in the future, explores the unknown, has alien encounters, etc than it is definitely worth checking out.

I'm now on to The God Delusion and I'm really blasting through it. Put down 100 pages on the first go which is actually surprising to me. I thought it was going to be very dry and boring but I'm finding it quite interesting

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Finished Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm not sure what I'll read next, I'll probably have to go through my books and see what catches my eye.

I've got Pushing Ice up on my shelf. It'll get read in a few months. Anything by Alastair Reynolds is always really good. Need to finish off the Redemption Ark series.

Currently on this:

Collection of short stories. Futurist weirdness.

Finished up 'Jennifer Government' which was eh. Great concept but the story is pretty flat.
Thinking of starting the Horus Heresy series from Warhammer 40k. Anyone have any input on it? Is it worth it?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Finished up 'Jennifer Government' which was eh. Great concept but the story is pretty flat.
Thinking of starting the Horus Heresy series from Warhammer 40k. Anyone have any input on it? Is it worth it?[/QUOTE]

The Heresy series probably depends a lot on the current author. Each book is written by someone else so you're going to get a lot of conflicting styles. I can vouch for Dan Abnett though (the author of at least the first book). He writes quality Warhammer novels.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']The Heresy series probably depends a lot on the current author. Each book is written by someone else so you're going to get a lot of conflicting styles. I can vouch for Dan Abnett though (the author of at least the first book). He writes quality Warhammer novels.[/QUOTE]

I knew that and I didn't really plan on reading all 16, but there is an accepted timeline of the novels, correct?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I suppose there is. I picked up around 10 of them cheap over time but I've yet to actually start the series.[/QUOTE]

I'll be the guinea pig.

Finished Brave New World. I liked it, but wasn't blown away.

Now reading The Hunger Games. All the books are available to borrow in the Kindle Lending Library for Prime members. So I'll read them over 3 months I guess, since you can only borrow a book a month.

First non-fiction thing I've read in forever. Another "only picked it up because Borders was closing and it was $2" book.

A little dry and slow so far. The author even admits up front she has no idea how this relationship happened, or what lies they told each other, it's alot of historical document regurgitation.

[quote name='gravel']Finished Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm not sure what I'll read next, I'll probably have to go through my books and see what catches my eye.[/QUOTE]

Keep reading the Hitchhiker series, at least through the 3rd book. Unless you didn't like it. But really, the next two books are just as fun as the first.

^ I got half way through and stopped reading it. At first it was full of humor. I quickly got tired of it. I got to where there was a living mattress that was killing things in an arena. I quit after that. I don't see what the mass appeal of the hitchhikers series.

[quote name='Maklershed']On the hard copy side of things I just finished up The God Delusion and now I'm gonna try to clean up my 'currently reading list' and go back and finish off some books I started. Kicking off the process by returning to Manhunt[/QUOTE]

I always see this at the book store and I'm interested. Curious to know what you think when you're done.

For those with Kindles, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving is on sale for $2.99 currently.

Haven't read that one yet, but have loved the Irving books I've read thus far so I grabbed it.

Finished The Hunger Games. Nothing great, but entertaining enough. Will read the other two, but want to just check them out from the Prime Kindle lending library, so have to wait a month to get the next one.

Started up:

51ATV1ONhHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Currently reading Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang and Turtle Feet by Nikolai Grozni.

Sort of hard to give my opinion on the first one so far. It's a series of short stories, so each story is much different from the last. I really enjoyed the first one, but the second (Understand) really felt like it dragged on and got a little bogged down by all the science, though I could see where that would be intentional.

The second book I'm enjoying a lot more than I thought I would. Usually if I read a non-fiction and fiction simultaneously, I end up finishing the fiction far faster. This time, it's the non-fiction one I'm having a hard time putting down. I think, after I finish this, I'm going to look into finding some other fish out of water type non-fictions.

I read story of your Life and Others . I think I liked it but didn't love it.
I just finished:
11890819.jpg

Stupid "odd couple in crazy situations" type story that just gets sillier and sillier, but I laughed out loud multiple times.

Just started:

7937843.jpg

Dark Space Opera. I've read a couple other things by Banks before. Got this used from a used bookstore. Has every character's name underlined for some odd reason.

[quote name='GhostShark']How is the Mistborn series? I'm looking for a series to start after I finish Snow Crash.[/QUOTE]

I'm 13% into the first book and really loving it so far. Easy to read, has a cool magic based system, and some majorly scary sounding 'steel inquisitor' guys (brutes with railroad spikes in their eyes) that hunt magic users.

bread's done
Back