What are you doing/what are you cutting back on to save money these days?

I dont have a car. That saves me a ton of money.

Fortunately, I paid off my credit card debt last year so I actually have some spending money. I mostly buy stuff that I've been neglecting like getting my bike fixed...stuff like that.

I've never felt financially safe, so being a professional cheapskate comes naturally. So I try to make a game of it, making my money stretch without coming off as a penny pinching jerk.

For example, seeming generous with spontaneous gifts of severely under appreciated games or books that were blown out for pennies on the dollar. A few years ago, for instance, a book liquidator had hardbacks of Terry Pratchett's 'Maskerade' for a dollar each. I bought two dozen of them just to give away to anybody I knew who might get into the Discworld series if this got them started. Cost almost nothing per person and made me feel good.

I pay close attention to supermarket specials and make heavy use of coupons. One recent example: the Ralphs chain had a special based on buying certain items in quantities of ten to get a special low price. Five coupons, each for a dollar off two units of the product brought the per unit cost down to about a buck each from the normal approximate price of over four dollars. I stocked up for several months' worth of that particular item. Works great if you have the storage space.

Lactose Intolerant. Lactaid is $4 a half gallon here. Soy milk isn't much better at $3.40 a half gallon. Evidently a few drops of lactase enzyme created in a lab is worth more than fucking crude oil.

Also, I really wish they would go ahead and sell it by the gallon. -_-;

One of the more peculiar things around here that happened recently with milk is they're now pricing it based upon what % it is, so we moved to completely skim milk from 1% since it's now $.30-$.40 cheaper/gallon

Which is odd because it's processed more.

[quote name='lordwow']One of the more peculiar things around here that happened recently with milk is they're now pricing it based upon what % it is, so we moved to completely skim milk from 1% since it's now $.30-$.40 cheaper/gallon[/quote]

[quote name='Xevious']I dont have a car. That saves me a ton of money.
[/quote]

My car payments will be up in a few months too, so looking forward to that extra $400. I'll be keeping the car until its dead - and its only got 25K miles on it so should be a good while.

[quote name='VioletArrows']Lactose Intolerant. Lactaid is $4 a half gallon here. Soy milk isn't much better at $3.40 a half gallon. Evidently a few drops of lactase enzyme created in a lab is worth more than fucking crude oil.

Also, I really wish they would go ahead and sell it by the gallon. -_-;[/QUOTE]

If you have a Walmart Supercenter or Smart & Final nearby, their price on Lactaid is much better, often as much as a buck a half-gallon cheaper.

I have to pick up this stuff for my mother frequently. I'm not a milk drinker but if I were, I'm now at the stage in life where I'd need the Lactaid, too. The last time I drank a quart of chocolate milk I was so gassy the rest of the day as to qualify for anti-personnel status.

Mainly for me i try to pay in cash for any game/movie/entertainment purchases and try to buy cheap games and Flip them as soon as i beat them. Also I try to avoid at all costs paying full price for a game, typically sometime after the game comes out someone as it on sale for 39 or 49. I still have Cable/internet/netflix/gamefly/xbox live, some of these things i will not think about getting rid of as they are fairly inexpensive (except for internet and cable). If i got rid of cable my wife would kill me. My wife and I have very stable jobs so we always try to save some money each month.

[quote name='Kayden']Which is odd because it's processed more.[/QUOTE]

That's what my fiancee says every single time we see it.

Well... I am moving and cutting some expenses to save some money here and there. I am going to save $300 a month moving 5 miles down the road (with about 250 sq. ft. less space), but that 300 will go into savings (which started at $0 and is now at $1100! woot!).

I am also cutting Gamefly (i know, i know) and getting rid of cable tv and just keeping internet and Netflix. I have so many games to play as it feels like Gamefly is charging me to play the games i own.

I find keeping pre-occupied with a hobby is a good way to keep costs down. I just got a 35mm Ricoh xr7 (free) and I have been shooting some film around the neighborhood and getting it developed every paycheck or so. It is fun and fairly cheap and I get tangible pictures i get to show family.

There are always ways you can cut corners. Just think about what you dont need or dont use all that often.

Nothing, I always was very careful to spend as little as I had to and just keep spending the same way I always have been. What I mean is never paying more than $5 - $10 for a video game, unless it is something I really want then I might spend up to $20 but that is rare, not going to the movies ($11 for a ticket is a ripoff, I can rent it for $1 when it comes out on DVD), not going out to expensive restaurants etc.

I have cut back on a lot of things but not due to tightening financial conditions, it just finally hit me about a year and half ago how much money I was flat out wasting on stuff like eating out a lot and always footing the bill for family and friends, buying all kinds of new release games and movies almost every week, subscription services that I barely used like the local newspaper.

I've basically just tried to cut pointless spending and build cash.

The weakening economy has resulted in me pushing off purchases of new cars though. I had intended to get a new daily driver and weekend toy last summer but I ultimately decided against it and I'm glad I did because the cars I was considering, especially in terms of the weekend car, have just plummeted in value, much more than the standard rate of depreciation, as the economy has continued to weaken. However, I am hoping to find some good deals this summer but I'm in no rush.

About 6 months ago, I stopped buying Star Wars Figures. I am actually going to start listing them on eBay.

And this year, I am not buying any new games I want until they hit $29.99 (or less if they go Target Clearance). I have enough of a backlog to sustain this indefinately.

I have also started packing lunch and no more eating out. $5.00 Palermo's pizza are good enough for once a week treat. I get by with a $9.00 a day budget for dinner for me and the family.

I am cancelling all the cell phones and getting rid of the HD boxes in my house.

The temp in the house is set to 64 degrees, and will go up to 78 come spring/summer.

I have well water, so I am going to buy one of those PUR water filters for the faucet...goodbye bottled water.

I have also quit my gym membership and am just going to run outdoors.

Maybe I ca pick up a Mustang cheap... :drool:

74-78.ford.mustang.500.jpg

[quote name='Number83']About 6 months ago, I stopped buying Star Wars Figures. I am actually going to start listing them on eBay.

And this year, I am not buying any new games I want until they hit $29.99 (or less if they go Target Clearance). I have enough of a backlog to sustain this indefinately.

I have also started packing lunch and no more eating out. $5.00 Palermo's pizza are good enough for once a week treat. I get by with a $9.00 a day budget for dinner for me and the family.

[/quote]

I'm with you on the Star Wars figures. I'd been collecting them for years adn have far more figures and vehicles than I could ever display. That helped expenses a lot.

The reason I dragged this thread up was my Mom was just given her 2 week notice yesterday at a job she's been working at for 15 years. My Dad's retired so it'll be up to me, for the time being, to help them out financially. It's the least I can do to pay them back for the years they took care of me. That means cutting back on many expenses starting now.

The buying lunch daily will be a good place to start, even though I'm not in an office everyday as I drive for work, but I guess I can get a small cooler and start bringing it with me much more often. When I do buy, use coupons or pick up something like a $5 Subway which is big enough to last me two meals.

Games will be another place to start, effective immediately, no more full price and ONLY games under $15 if a high want. My backlog will thank me tremendously. In fact, I really need to give it a look over and see what I could part with, many of these I bought on a whim because they were cheap. Damn you CAG! ;)

^Why is it your job to take care of your parents?

If your mother is quitting a job, she needs to have another one OR money saved up to survive until she can find another one.

If your dad is retired, he should either have enough savings and pension OR start working again.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']^Why is it your job to take care of your parents?

If your mother is quitting a job, she needs to have another one OR money saved up to survive until she can find another one.

If your dad is retired, he should either have enough savings and pension OR start working again.[/quote]

Sorry, I guess I worded that wrong. She's being laid off in two weeks. It was the company that gave her a two week notice, not her.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']^Why is it your job to take care of your parents?

If your dad is retired, he should either have enough savings and pension OR start working again.[/quote]

He said his mother has just been given her two week notice, not just gave it. She's being fired.

Why wouldn't he want to help his parents if he is able?

[quote name='Anexanhume']He said his mother has just been given her two week notice, not just gave it. She's being fired.

Why wouldn't he want to help his parents if he is able?[/quote]

Yeah, I see that now.

To answer your question, it depends. My mother-in-law (on disability) asked my wife and I for $100 to keep their electricity on. Why did she need $100? Because she spent her last $100 paying her sister's credit card bill. Any time she asks my wife for money now. I advise her to call in her markers UNLESS it is for a modest amount of food from the store.

Back to his mother, she can file for unemployment in most states if she is being laid off. Why should the OP provide for 100% of his mother's expenses when the unemployment insurance she has been paying for the last 15 years could provide 60% of her expenses?

Havent really changed much, stable job, and ive always watched my spending. Just keep it up, pretty much...

I've cut back to one magnum of champagne per week, from the usual 2. Also I only have 1 lobster dinner per week, as opposed to 3. Times are tough.

I've sacked half of my staff, employing a butler just for the cat is no longer cost effective.

Damn economy !!!!

Goozex has saved me quite a bit of money in the last year.

I get free coffee at work, so that is a nice perk.

I will start riding my bike more this spring/summer, rather than drive.

Watching the gas prices and trying to buy when the price is low (usually in the AM earlier in the week) helps a bit, too.

I pay more attention to the "10-for-$10" and B1G1F deals at our local grocery store.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Yeah, I see that now.

To answer your question, it depends. My mother-in-law (on disability) asked my wife and I for $100 to keep their electricity on. Why did she need $100? Because she spent her last $100 paying her sister's credit card bill. Any time she asks my wife for money now. I advise her to call in her markers UNLESS it is for a modest amount of food from the store.

Back to his mother, she can file for unemployment in most states if she is being laid off. Why should the OP provide for 100% of his mother's expenses when the unemployment insurance she has been paying for the last 15 years could provide 60% of her expenses?[/quote]

Well, yeah, I'm sure she'll be filing for unemployment but that won't match what she was making...not even close.

I won't be providing them with 100% of their expenses, don't think I ever said I was, just helping them a bit financially until she finds something else so they don't miss a house payment or something...especially since I own half their house. ;)

Anyway, this is something I needed to do anyway, because even though my job is secure now, who knows what the future holds with this economy. Cutting down on frivolous and uneccessary expenses seems like something I should be doing anyway, with or without helping my parents.

[quote name='benjamouth']I've cut back to one magnum of champagne per week, from the usual 2. Also I only have 1 lobster dinner per week, as opposed to 3. Times are tough.

I've sacked half of my staff, employing a butler just for the cat is no longer cost effective.

Damn economy !!!![/quote]

You must work for AIG. Give back your bonus dammit!

[quote name='lawdood']
Anyway, this is something I needed to do anyway, because even though my job is secure now, who knows what the future holds with this economy. Cutting down on frivolous and uneccessary expenses seems like something I should be doing anyway, with or without helping my parents.
[/QUOTE]

I :applause: for you generosity there.

It always bothers me that there's no regard for taking care of one's parents in the U.S. In other places (Asia, etc.) it's very normal for kids to take care of their parents in old age, helping them out in hard financial times, often having them move in with them etc.

Here it's just the opposite, most kids don't think it's their responsibility and most parents are ashamed to get help from their kids.

[quote name='lawdood']...I own half their house.[/quote]

I understand. If they sink, you sink.

Try to keep them honest. Don't let them rack up a bunch of debt unless you're on the first lifeboat.

Cut back on coffee, which I was drinking twice a day. Now I drink it maybe twice a week total. I damn sure haven't been cutting back on games, I need to though, because my backlog is utterly ridiculous and growing by the week, due to the friggin' new releases every other day. But I really need to cut back there.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I :applause: for you generosity there.

It always bothers me that there's no regard for taking care of one's parents in the U.S. In other places (Asia, etc.) it's very normal for kids to take care of their parents in old age, helping them out in hard financial times, often having them move in with them etc.

Here it's just the opposite, most kids don't think it's their responsibility and most parents are ashamed to get help from their kids.[/quote]

Doesn't Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid count? That's over 10% of my income going to them and other people's parents. I didn't.

Doesn't being independent count? My other siblings have moved back in with parents and borrowed without ever paying back multiple times.

Won't managing my mother-in-law's finances count? She dug herself a big hole by giving her milk money after to anybody that whined loud enough. My wife and I have to convince her creditors she is incompetent and she has no assets to sue.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Doesn't Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid count? That's over 10% of my income going to them and other people's parents. I didn't.
[/quote]

Meh, that's also paying into a system with the idea that you'll get those benefits when you're old.

Doesn't being independent count? My other siblings have moved back in with parents and borrowed without ever paying back multiple times.
[/quote]

That means your siblings are/were failures, doesn't excuse the "good son" from a moral obligation to help out parents who fed them, clothed them, maybe paid for college etc. for years.

Won't managing my mother-in-law's finances count? She dug herself a big hole by giving her milk money after to anybody that whined loud enough. My wife and I have to convince her creditors she is incompetent and she has no assets to sue.

That certainly counts, there are many ways to help and that's one of them.

Anyway, I meant no personal offense. The lack of responsibility many feel for their parents in the US just bugs me. Just one of many things I don't like about our "me! me! me!" money making as the goal of life society.

Shit like sticking your parents in a retirement home (when they don't need constant medical attention) would get you shunned in many Asian nations and it's perfectly acceptable here.

My parents were great to me, always had food, clothing, shelter and as much luxury as they could provide on a lower middle class income. And they paid for my 4 years of undergrad including room and board.

So yeah, if they're retirment funds run out I'll most definitely help them out down the road. Least I can do after all they gave me. So it just irks me that many (not you per se) have no problems ignoring the struggles of their parents.

Eh, I've had to cut down my spending even more since I've last posted. I'm only getting new games by trading stuff in or selling it. I even sold one of my gaming platforms, and close to maybe selling another one because times are really rough on me (maybe it will be enough so I can get an eye exam, since my eyes continue to get worse). I'm even considering just selling off almost my entire classic game collection right now, but it's really tough to decide letting some rare games go.

I wish I could ditch some basketball cards and some sports collectibles (I bought years ago), but I dunno how much that stuff is worth and I damaged some of them unfortunately (due to trying to hang them on the wall, I was a stupid kid back then).

I try not to make unnecessary trips (or drive much right now) so I don't use up a lot of gas. I haven't purchased a new pair of shoes for a few years and haven't gotten any new clothes outside of a few pairs of lounge pants and one pair of jeans.

I just hate it because I've realized I wasted so much money I wish I never did.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Meh, that's also paying into a system with the idea that you'll get those benefits when you're old.[/quote]

Awwwww, come on. Unless my wife dies or either of us become disabled in the next 5-10 years, I won't see any return on my taxes. We both know those programs are going to implode long before either of us hits 62 and you're planning to work until you die in an university anyways.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That means your siblings are/were failures, doesn't excuse the "good son" from a moral obligation to help out parents who fed them, clothed them, maybe paid for college etc. for years. [/quote]

I can't argue with the first part. Several of my siblings suck. As far as parents go, only one fed and clothed me. As far as college, :lol: we've had that argument.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Anyway, I meant no personal offense. The lack of responsibility many feel for their parents in the US just bugs me. Just one of many things I don't like about our "me! me! me!" money making as the goal of life society.

Shit like sticking your parents in a retirement home (when they don't need constant medical attention) would get you shunned in many Asian nations and it's perfectly acceptable here.

My parents were great to me, always had food, clothing, shelter and as much luxury as they could provide on a lower middle class income. And they paid for my 4 years of undergrad including room and board.

So yeah, if they're retirment funds run out I'll most definitely help them out down the road. Least I can do after all they gave me. So it just irks me that many (not you per se) have no problems ignoring the struggles of their parents.[/quote]

The problem with many people is that they bring their problems on themselves. My mother-in-law chose to pop prescription drugs. My father-in-law chooses to smoke and buy new cars and trucks. My mother chose to spend my childhood years in a bar, my teenage years on average 1000 miles away, chooses to buy new cars to this day and never save any money. My father chooses to continue to drink, go on multiple vacations a year and buy any new toy he can understand. As they get older, each of my parents are going to fall on bad times. Their money is going to dry up. I've advised them to prepare and to ready themselves. They've ignored my advice. Why should I tend their self-inflicted wounds? At what point is socially acceptable to tend to myself and my offspring instead of my parents?

Since im already a poor college student.. Ive cut back on driving very much. I only drive when i really have to. I mostly take mass transportation. Ive even thought about selling my car at one point..

Same with new release video games, now i always try to wait until there is a discount in price or there is a trade in bonus were I can trade and get the game at a discount

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']
The problem with many people is that they bring their problems on themselves. My mother-in-law chose to pop prescription drugs. My father-in-law chooses to smoke and buy new cars and trucks. My mother chose to spend my childhood years in a bar, my teenage years on average 1000 miles away, chooses to buy new cars to this day and never save any money. My father chooses to continue to drink, go on multiple vacations a year and buy any new toy he can understand. As they get older, each of my parents are going to fall on bad times. Their money is going to dry up. I've advised them to prepare and to ready themselves. They've ignored my advice. Why should I tend their self-inflicted wounds? At what point is socially acceptable to tend to myself and my offspring instead of my parents?[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Like I said I meant no personal offense, you have a case of having crappy parents and I can see why you wouldn't wan to support them.

But no need to jump on the guy for supporting his mom that got laid off etc. Again my comments were that many feel no responsibility to take care of their parents even if they had great parents who did everything they could for them and have financial problems due to being laid off, medical issues etc.. And that irks me.

A situation like yours is understandable and an exception of course.

You know, it's not so much fatherofcaitlyn's specific situation, it's an entire generation that has that same mindset. A large portion of the baby boomer generation is under this notion that they didn't have to save anything for retirement, etc. It amazes me really.

Seeing as i knew how to control money before, unlike all of my friends who think you're supposed to blow every penny you get as soon as you get it, i haven't had to change anything.

Anyone else have friends that make fun of you for knowing how to spend money? I seem to get mocked atleast 4 or 5 times a week by broke jobless friends because I have money in the bank and i'm not blowing it.

Apparently you're cheap if you don't want to go blow $50+ on a meal for no special occasion. All of my friends seem to have the idea that anytime you get money you're supposed to take 90% of it and go eat somewhere expensive, and then instantly blow the last 10% on something pointless as soon as you finish eating.

[quote name='Cracka']
Anyone else have friends that make fun of you for knowing how to spend money? I seem to get mocked atleast 4 or 5 times a week by broke jobless friends because I have money in the bank and i'm not blowing it.
[/quote]

Somewhat, but for me, it's more the people who "don't want to talk about it" because they "don't understand it." How do you ever expect to learn about money if you don't try to understand how to make your money work for you? I'm very good with my money and you'd think they'd be asking for advice instead of continuing to do the fucked up things that they do with their money.

But then again, their money, their problems, so fuck em to some degree.

I will say, I feel bad for a lot of people, seems the rough times are hitting people pretty hard...

As for myself, I'm actually in a better position than I was just a year ago... I drive all day for work and don't get gas paid back to me by my company, so a major bill is now half what it used to be per month since gas is back down to 2 bucks a gallon... I also had my best year money wise at work in 6 years.

I know this is not the norm and I almost feel bad that it seems everyone else has it rough, I have friends who have lost jobs and it all just sucks. But at least people are resonsibly cutting out the things they don't really need.

[quote name='Cracka']Anyone else have friends that make fun of you for knowing how to spend money? I seem to get mocked atleast 4 or 5 times a week by broke jobless friends because I have money in the bank and i'm not blowing it.
[/quote]
No, but my friends and family think I'm weird because I'm willing to let my credit score flitter away by not taking on any more debt.

Not eating out and going to movies as much, me and the fiancee stay at home to do that.

Not buying hardly and new games or accessories for any of my systems, and when I buy used I make sure its ok.

Holding off on a new TV purchase, as our current TV gets fuzzy after about 20 mins.

Leaving the AC off in the car and in the house until it gets really hot (like over 80/85 f) and running the ceiling fan in the bedroom to cut costs of the AC (especially right now at night).

Doing things for the wedding ourselves (I'm making the candles instead of spending way too much for them) or having our family do it (my aunt is making the fiancee veil instead of buying it, she is also tailoring for the entire wedding party free of charge).

I also took out a student loan to pay off my CC (29% new intrest rate vs 0% until I'm out of school, then no more than 8%).

We've decided to make things ourselves for the house we'll be living in for a while and taking free appliances from family and friends.

phone bill- got hooked up by my friend ($20/month for unlimited everything!)

Trade or sell the games I don't play or have no replay value

Not go out on as many expensive dates. Even the movies is expensive. Pay for a cab to pick her up, to the movies, take her back home, then go home- about $40, 2 tickets- $20, popcorn & drink- maybe $10, score @ end of night= PRICELESS!!

One year ago I was doing amazing. I worked at the school district. I was making like $16.75 an hour. I didn't have a college degree so I was doing quite well. I was a rising star at work. I was making around $1,200 a month it wasn't to bad for part time and sometimes I would get overtime. This was just about one year ago. I live at home with my parents. I was saving up all sorts of money I got a $5,000 CD account and around $4,300 in savings. I was saving to get a new car and so I could start driving. I was lucky enough to be able to walk to work but I was well on my way to saving up to start driving and have my car. My parents cant help me to much with that cause they are having a hard enough time with there own bills and such. California is one of the most expensive places to drive a car (infact May 1st the vehicle registration is set to double and its already fairly high).

Well to make a long story short last year around this time we got a new IT leader who came from the most god forsaken school districts in the US LAUSD. Not many liked her. She had the idea of getting rid of all the site techs (like myself but I was an assistant) and just having people work at the district and they would just go to any school that needed help. Not to mention that California was facing a huge budget dedicate so of course with all this they let me go and I lost my job.

So here is what I have cut back on...
I got rid of my FF 11 account (not like anyone was on the servers)

I was last year going to get Dish Network but I didn't I still have the dish haha. (its okay cause my parents have Charter Analog Cable just basic stations 2-99 but I still get my locals in high Def thanks to my QAM turner).

My parents always threaten to get rid of DSL and go back to dialup but they dont have the heart to do it. I use to pay for it but I refuse since we could get getter a cheaper package and my parents are to lazy to call and tell them to downgrade are speed.

I dont drive I walk to most places around where I live.

I dont go out to eat hardly anymore I just have something at home or whatever is leftover from what my parents had :)

I dont get games anymore the last game I got that wasnt a gift was GTA 4.

Yah I dont do much besides to win stuff online. Finding a job here in Whittier is a real nightmare unless you have a degree. If not then you will likely be working for retail or fastfood. There are very little high end jobs here.

bread's done
Back