What are your thoughts on Walmarts buying and selling of used games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace50421

CAGiversary!
Gamestop can kiss their used video game business goodbye. Walmart does it again. Taking over the world one kiosk at a time.

We have really no idea how this thing with Wal-Mart will turn out. This might be a huge waste of everyone's time, or, it might be an awesome thing.

If it does turn out to be GREAT (as in higher trade in values..) then this would hopefully cause GS to step up their game.

Personally, I don't think this Wal-Mart thing is going to be a big deal.

[quote name='lilboo']We have really no idea how this thing with Wal-Mart will turn out. This might be a huge waste of everyone's time, or, it might be an awesome thing.

If it does turn out to be GREAT (as in higher trade in values..) then this would hopefully cause GS to step up their game.

Personally, I don't think this Wal-Mart thing is going to be a big deal.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much what I think. I'll even wager that most games will be given some type of flat value if it's not a brand new title. I would like to test one of these things out though.

WM will probably have trade ins about equal to the Amazon.

They will not accept a trade value that they can't turn around for double....

From past experience, of distributing products, they were taking a 50-60% markup on what we sold them.... WM buys a $10 item from us and it'll sell $22.99 when in their stores.

This will be interesting. Haven't read tons on this yet, but Walmart's policy has always been to hammer out prices from the supply chain (basically keep the product as inexpensive as possible by the time it hits the shelf). Because of this, it would be unusual to think Walmart's going to institute higher trade in values for games.

But, any competition would be good. Having Walmart and Amazon in the game may get some of Gamestop's higher priced games to finally start falling in price a bit.

I don't think it will make Wal-Mart the leader of the used games industry by any means, but hopefully GameStop will be forced to come down on some of their used prices.

Also, not sure how much faith I have in getting a working USED game from a kiosk like this. I, like many people, like to check for disc damage, manuals, case condition before I hand over my cash. I don't really expect the games to be in pristine condition when I buy them used, but I don't want a disc that looks like it has road rash either.

Also, I can't wait to see the news stories about pot, etc in the game cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back