What are your top 5-10 WWII films?

basketkase543

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've been studying WWII pretty heavily and want to see what everyone's favorite films are on the biggest war in history. What are your top 5-10 WWII films?

I know I am probably leaving a few out,. Here are my favorites in order...

Band of Brothers
The Great Escape
Patton
Tora Tora Tora
Schindler's List (Should be required to be part of any high school history course)
Saving Private Ryan (Brought WWII & war movies back to the big screen.)
Das Boot
Thin Red Line
The Great Raid
A Bridge Too Far
Bridge on the River Kwai
U-571
Memphis Belle
Grave of the Fireflies (Yes I know its a animated movie, but it does a great job of showing life in Japan during the war)
Enemy at the Gates (Some of the movie gets on my nerve, but it does a good job of showing life during the battle of Stalingrad)

I don't know about anyone else, but I been waiting to hear something new about "The Pacific War". Basically its the Pacific front version of a 10 part series just like Band of Brothers. Its been in development for quite a while without anything new reported.

Band Of Brothers (Far and Away #1)
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Enemy at the Gates (Ed Harris is the main reason I like it so much)

Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
The Longest Day
A Bridge too Far
Bridge of the River Kwai

And on the lighter side, I love Kelly's Heroes.

Saving Private Ryan
Enemy at the Gates (nice movie it which WW II is viewed from the Russian side; only problem is that all the actors keep their British accents which ruins it just a little)
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen
Schindler's List - great movie though not a moive I would see repeatedly; very hard to watch

In order of favorites:

Downfall (The guy who plays Hitler in this is mesmerising)
Band Of Brothers
Enemy at the Gates
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Patton
Max

One, Two and Three (in no particular order) are The Dirty Dozen, The Guns of Navarone and Bridge over the River Kwai.... after that there's a list of unranked good ones. IMO.

Can anyone name a movie for me. It's a movie that I saw about 30 years ago on TV and I can't remember the name of it. If I remember correctly it's about a circus/vaudeville group that are spy/resistance fighters during some war I think. A couple of images stand out in my mind. One is that there were 2 girls that were dancers, during one show one of the girl's dress ripped, the other followed suit to cover for her and the crowd loved it and they changed their show to be strippers. Another image is that one of the guys invented a gun with a curved barrel so that they could shoot around corners. Other than those two things, I can't remember much else. Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

- Patton
- The Great Escape
- The Dirty Dozen
- Schindler's List
- The Pianist

Does it make me a dirty Nazi to suggest that WW2 war films and Holocaust films should be seperate categories? I mean they are linked, but I think they are too different to just lump them together as 'WW2 movies'.

Anyway here's my list(s):

01 Band of Brothers
02 The Greast Escape
03 Patton
04 A Bridge Too Far
05 The Dirty Dozen
06 Downfall
07 Bridge on the River Kwai
08 Tora! Tora! Tora!
09 Guns of Navarone
10 Saving Private Ryan

01 Schindler's List
02 The Pianist
03 Diary of Anne Frank
04 Nuremberg
05 Conspiracy

im not gonna mention most of mine, because they have all been mentioned above pretty much. but has anyone seen

Hell is For Heroes

?

I thought that was a pretty awesome WWII movie, not your usual stuff and I love Steve McQueen.

Saving Private Ryan was awesome.

the part where the us sniper shoots the german sniper through the scope right into the eye was the most awesome moment in the movie

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I am surprised no one mentioned The Diary of Anne Frank.[/QUOTE]

What does a blind and deaf chick have to do with ww2?

Anyway,

Saving Private Ryan and Enemy at the Gates for me too.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']What does a blind and deaf chick have to do with ww2?

[/quote]

:whistle2:s

You're kidding right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_frank

Anneliese Marie "Anne" Frank (June 12, 1929 – March, 1945) was a German-born Jewish girl who wrote a diary while in hiding with her family and four friends in Amsterdam during the German occupation of the Netherlands in World War II. Her family had moved to Amsterdam after the Nazis gained power in Germany but were trapped when the Nazi occupation extended into The Netherlands. As persecutions against the Jewish population increased, the family went into hiding in July 1942 in hidden rooms in her father Otto Frank's office building (the Secret Annexe). After two years in hiding, the group was betrayed and transported to the concentration camp system where Anne died of typhus (in Bergen-Belsen) within days of her sister, Margot Frank, in February or March 1945.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_diary_of_anne_frank_%28film%29

When concentration camp victim Otto Frank returns to his former hiding place after the war he is given his daughter's diary. The story recorded therein of how he hid his wife, two daughters, the three members of the van Daan family (named the Van Pels in real life), and a dentist Albert Dussel (named Fritz Pfeffer in real life), in an attic from the Nazis for two years is shown in flashback. Their growing tensions, their food shortages, and Anne's falling in love with Peter van Daan are set against the backdrop of wartime Amsterdam. After two years the building is raided by the Nazis and all of its occupants are sent to their deaths in concentration camps.
I think you have Anne Frank confused with Helen Keller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellen_keller

[quote name='GuilewasNK']?

I don't get it.[/QUOTE]
You were citing who Anne Frank was with links; I was citing sevdustflyer's joke with a link. ;)

[quote name='Brak']You were citing who Anne Frank was with links; I was citing sevdustflyer's joke with a link. ;)[/quote]

Oh. I don't know anything about Clerks. :dunce: Sorry about that.

I need to get out more...

I just saw Saving Private Ryan again right now and man...that movie gets me every time. Great plot, characterization, music, etc. I think I'd have to put that at the top of my WWII list.

Looks like noone liked the Thin Red Line. That was one of the most boring war movies I've seen. The only good part was the scene where they shoot up that japanese camp.

[quote name='basketkase543']I just saw Saving Private Ryan again right now and man...that movie gets me every time. Great plot, characterization, music, etc. I think I'd have to put that at the top of my WWII list.[/quote]
I really hate that part where the German soldier is slowly stabbing that one American guy.

[quote name='Maklershed']I really hate that part where the German soldier is slowly stabbing that one American guy.[/QUOTE]

Why do you hate it? That's one of the parts that feels the most painful--the knife oh so slowly enters the heart, and you can just feel the resistance as it goes through the body.

[quote name='basketkase543']Why do you hate it? That's one of the parts that feels the most painful--the knife oh so slowly enters the heart, and you can just feel the resistance as it goes through the body.[/quote]
It's just so realistic and disturbing. It was one of those scenes where the thought of it just stuck with me for awhile.

[quote name='Maklershed']It's just so realistic and disturbing. It was one of those scenes where the thought of it just stuck with me for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Oh, in that case I completely agree. It is an extremely painful scene to watch.

I just finished watching the X Files Season 3 a few days ago and since everyone recommends Band of Brothers I've decided to watch that since I got it for my birthday.

The first episode was good, and I'm really looking forward to watching the second.

I need to get through the series quickly because on the bonus disk there's a black smudge and I need to watch it to see if it affects playback.

bread's done
Back